Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 14 Sep 2005, 22:48 (Ref:1408103)   #1
KE30MAN
Racer

KE30MAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will club level racers return to Mt Panorama?

I think it was 1997 when Club Cars ran as a support category for the Super Tourers.

It got me to thinking, am I ever going to get an opportunity to run my car around Bathurst?

I think a meet that had V8 Utes, Improved Production, Sports Sedans, Saloon Cars and Historic Tourers would be pretty well supported. In fact in 1997 the Club Cars (Now Improved Production) field had about 20 reserves over the full grid.

Will it ever happen again? Or will the AVESCO machine ensure that only racers with huge budgets and classes willing to pay massive sanctioning fees ever get access Bathurst for the rest of time?
Old 14 Sep 2005, 23:05 (Ref:1408115)   #2
SRabbit
Veteran

SRabbit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a Bathurst Light car Club that runs events regularly at the Mountain - their office is just to the left as you come onto Conrod - I know they run hill climbs every so often which runs from the Chase backward up the straight up to Skyline - as for other events I'm not sure. They may not have the money any more as they used to take the majority of their funds from the 1000 where members would volunteer their time to run the food and beer tents and they'd get a cut of the takings but AVESCO put a stop to that and kept all the money themselves and the Car Club has been relegated to carpark duties, of which I think this year may even be the last year they get to do that.
I dont have any contact details but im sure they wouldnt be too hard to find - give them a call! I know this doesnt really answer your question specifically but I would take any chance to drive my car around the Mountain in anger - race or no race
Old 15 Sep 2005, 00:38 (Ref:1408152)   #3
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To hell with the V8 Utes, Club Car/Improved Production Car can stand on its own! It is a fantastic category and I make the treck out to Oran Park on every occasion they race there. Seeing them at Mt Panorama would be fantastic.
Old 15 Sep 2005, 03:13 (Ref:1408178)   #4
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE30MAN
I think it was 1997 when Club Cars ran as a support category for the Super Tourers.

It got me to thinking, am I ever going to get an opportunity to run my car around Bathurst?

I think a meet that had V8 Utes, Improved Production, Sports Sedans, Saloon Cars and Historic Tourers would be pretty well supported. In fact in 1997 the Club Cars (Now Improved Production) field had about 20 reserves over the full grid.

Will it ever happen again? Or will the AVESCO machine ensure that only racers with huge budgets and classes willing to pay massive sanctioning fees ever get access Bathurst for the rest of time?
Only once in the last 30 years has club level racing run at Bathurst at all.

Improved Production was one of a handful of classes to run on the 1999 Bathurst festival weekend along with the Super Touring 500, the Future Touring 300, plus Formula Vees, HQs and Commodore Cup.

The chances of Im-Prods running with the Bathurst 1000 are none, and it would be fantasy to consider otherwise. The chances of appearing on the Bathurst 24 Hour program are... small but possible. Which other AMRS categories would like to run at Bathurst? They would likely be given first option, GT/Porsche Drivers Challenge (for those not interested in running the 24), Commodore Cup, Production Cars and Touring Car Challenge would get invited. If all say yes it would be hard to justify adding another category to that.

However I've heard a rumour circulating amongst Formula Vee circles - maybe it is not as far fetched as it first appear. Getting grid numbers for Improved Production wouldn't be much of an issue
Old 15 Sep 2005, 03:14 (Ref:1408179)   #5
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Utes, Saloon Cars and Historic Touring Cars would be doubtful starters as they are AVESCO categories.
Old 15 Sep 2005, 03:46 (Ref:1408182)   #6
Sultan
Veteran

Australia
Brisvegas, Australia
Sultan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, remember it very well, hell, that's something I'll never forget!! I was racing a Vee, we were oversubscribed, even with the (then) huge entry fee, I remember the first time I went across the top, by the time I got to the esses my cheeks were hurting 'cause I was smiling so much!!

From Reid Park to McPhillamy you could go 2 to 3 wide, full throttle the whole way, & from the Esses to Forrest's Elbow, it was like a rollercoaster! 3 wide through the Chase was interesting, especially if you were on the outside!

Mind you, a packed lunch would've helped going up Mountain Straight!!!

It was such a novelty to have club level cars there, it seemed if you weren't driving, (or repairing!) you were rushing to the fence to watch the other categories!

BTW, the Vees were clocked at 210kph down Conrod with a slipstream, not bad considering their engines back then were producing an earth shattering 42hp! (You read that right!!!)

It would be brilliant to see that happen again. Vees, FFord, Improved Poduction, Sports Cars, Touring car challenge maybe combined with Gp c & Gp A, Prod Cars, even Sport Sedans?

IMHO, that would be an awesome weekend!!
Old 15 Sep 2005, 04:13 (Ref:1408193)   #7
M-Kart
Veteran

Australia
M-Kart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i'd make the trip down from qld to see that weekend. it'd be fantastic
Old 15 Sep 2005, 04:41 (Ref:1408200)   #8
KE30MAN
Racer

Falcadore, I totally understand what you are saying. I just think that the track is something that is a part of the life of all enthusiasts from a spectating point of view, I am sure everyone would relish the oppportunity to tear up a few laps.

My opinion - you get all of the grass roots classes to Bathurst over a long weekend and you will have more people there than any 24 hours event will achieve.
Old 15 Sep 2005, 04:42 (Ref:1408201)   #9
KE30MAN
Racer

Sultan, I imagine the ride from inside a Vee would be brilliant!
Old 15 Sep 2005, 07:10 (Ref:1408243)   #10
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
KE30MAN: I've been informed by someone away from the fora that for a club level Bathurst event to take place, assuming no major sponsor or television to help in the promotion and cost reduction of the event, that entry fees would be in the vicinity of $5,000.

Bathurst is not for nothing the most expensive circuit in Australia to run. Heck why do you think Le Mans and the Nordschliefe are only used once a year?
Old 15 Sep 2005, 12:20 (Ref:1408473)   #11
jd yort
Veteran

Australia
On An Island
jd yort should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would love to see the Sports Sedans running up there again as it has been along time. With Ricadello and the Trans Zam spec cars they would really lower that V8 Supercar lap time.
Old 15 Sep 2005, 12:46 (Ref:1408488)   #12
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the Historics got a run, I'd be lining up to get my C3 licence in an instant!
Although no doubt I'd be both scared and ecstatic the first lap....
Old 15 Sep 2005, 23:21 (Ref:1408941)   #13
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore
KE30MAN: I've been informed by someone away from the fora that for a club level Bathurst event to take place, assuming no major sponsor or television to help in the promotion and cost reduction of the event, that entry fees would be in the vicinity of $5,000.

Bathurst is not for nothing the most expensive circuit in Australia to run. Heck why do you think Le Mans and the Nordschliefe are only used once a year?
F'dore,
Can you express the entry fees as gross dollars, i.e how many entries at $5k.
Old 15 Sep 2005, 23:50 (Ref:1408953)   #14
DKGandBH
Veteran

DKGandBH has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The Historics have run at Bathurst...
Not that long ago either.

DKGandBH
Old 16 Sep 2005, 00:19 (Ref:1408962)   #15
KE30MAN
Racer

I understand that the historics were given a shot.

As for finding sponsors, it would be very simple. There are plenty of auto industries who do not get an opportunity with the Supercars (through conflicts or outrageous costs) and would like to invest dollars into the people who use their products and services. The main game doesn't have a title sponsor, the teams are struggling to find funding at the required levels. Even the Lites are propped up by manufacturer money.

Half of the necessary funding could be sourced through sponsors without any trouble at all. I know that for an absolute fact.
Old 16 Sep 2005, 01:50 (Ref:1408981)   #16
johnny yuma
Veteran

johnny yuma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HISTORICS get a run this year,as they did in 04 and 03,albeit with $1000+ entry.
see v8 supercar website.
Old 16 Sep 2005, 02:27 (Ref:1408988)   #17
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I meant Historics as in Group Sb/Sc which is what my car is logbooked for.....

$1000+ entry fee though......
Old 16 Sep 2005, 03:40 (Ref:1408996)   #18
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
As for finding sponsors, it would be very simple. There are plenty of auto industries who do not get an opportunity with the Supercars (through conflicts or outrageous costs) and would like to invest dollars into the people who use their products and services. The main game doesn't have a title sponsor, the teams are struggling to find funding at the required levels. Even the Lites are propped up by manufacturer money.

Half of the necessary funding could be sourced through sponsors without any trouble at all. I know that for an absolute fact.
You say half the funding can be sourced thru sponsors - how many dollars is this?
Old 16 Sep 2005, 03:49 (Ref:1408998)   #19
Sultan
Veteran

Australia
Brisvegas, Australia
[IMG]Bathurst 99.bmp[/IMG]

Here's a pic in the Vee, not sure if this'll work....

BTW KE30MAN, yeah, it's pretty awesome, but frankly, I wouldn't care what the hell I raced there!!!

Alfacors, in '99, we paid around $500 entry, & a normal state round was around $180...

Compared to some of the entry fees I've seen around though, $1000 is actually pretty reasonable (how times have changed!)
Old 16 Sep 2005, 03:51 (Ref:1409000)   #20
Sultan
Veteran

Australia
Brisvegas, Australia
Bugger, it didn't work. Anyone know how to attatch a pic???
Old 16 Sep 2005, 04:32 (Ref:1409007)   #21
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I
As for finding sponsors, it would be very simple. There are plenty of auto industries who do not get an opportunity with the Supercars (through conflicts or outrageous costs) and would like to invest dollars into the people who use their products and services.
Oh if only that were true. Most of those who do not get the "opportunity" to be a part of the AVESCO circus have no interest at all in other levels of Motorsport. We've approached literally thousands of potential sponsors for our TV show In Pit Lane which primarily focuses on State and Grass roots motorsport, many of those companies make a very good living out of selling in to that market but still they all want to be associated with the V8 Supercars. We had one potential sponsor who wasn't even remotely interested in what he called the WW scene "******s & Wannabes" that we feature but was prepared to front up with over $50'000 if we could become the "V8 Supercar" show.
It's not just Motorsport, Sponsors are lining up to sponsor the AFL and it's Clubs but the state levels get alamost nothing and only thanks to Govenment funding, Cricket at Test level is fine but some State sides don't have naming rights sponsors and crowds are nothing, and outside of the Cups Carnival only gambling dollars keeps Country Horse & Dog racing alive.
People want the rub off from being associated with the very top level and while there's plenty of smaller companies prepared to put very small amounts in, to do a Bathurst Club Motorsport Festival would cost a small fortune, just ask Ross Palmer he tried to get one up and running for years.
Old 16 Sep 2005, 07:22 (Ref:1409067)   #22
KE30MAN
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy
You say half the funding can be sourced thru sponsors - how many dollars is this?
That obviously depends on the media coverage, attendance figures, signage options, programme advertising, promotional staff...it's quite an invloved process.

You need to be able to show sponsors some measurement and ROI if you really expect theme to sign the bills. In the digital age, measuring brand health isn't as hard as it used to be...but I digress, I just want TO GO FLAT OUT THROUGH THE CHASE
Old 16 Sep 2005, 09:51 (Ref:1409159)   #23
louonline
Racer

louonline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't have the details but there is to be some sort of "Speed Festival" at the Mount next Easter.
For the poster that wanted contact details for Bathurst Car Club, this is their web site.... http://www.blcc.com.au/
Don't drive faster than your Angel can fly.
Old 16 Sep 2005, 10:21 (Ref:1409175)   #24
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Knitting..

Quote:
Sultan, I imagine the ride from inside a Vee would be brilliant!
Yes! and the officials could knit pullovers whilst they waited for the Vees to climb the mountain
Old 16 Sep 2005, 10:30 (Ref:1409181)   #25
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Historics and ....Historics

Quote:
I understand that the historics were given a shot.

The Group Nc Biante Group have been a support caregory at Bathurst for several years now....that is, generally speaking, high rollers or those that can afford the $1500 (?) entry fee that AVESCO charges just to be treated badly....this group, not to be confused with the other mainstream (dare I say it) Australian Historic open wheel, sports and sedan groups (including Historic FVee from next year )

I would walk to Bathurst to see F5000s run

Seriously, a National Historic Meeting is likely to be a descent drawcard