Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 23 Jun 2020, 10:05 (Ref:3983348)   #1
ferguson
Rookie

United States
Vermont
ferguson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Defogging Windows

Hi All. Wondering if any of you have any thoughts on defogging poly- windows? Have tried rain x defogger but it doesn't seem to do the trick. Am running a Tin Top. Some one suggested to put two 3 inch holes in the rear window but I'd like to stay away from that if possible. Thanks
Old 23 Jun 2020, 11:19 (Ref:3983361)   #2
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Hi Ferguson! Very tricky what you're lookin for. Half a potato will give the same result as a dedicated product but for cheap money. Did you try with one drop of washing detergent? May be you can ask to plastic4performance people, very nice to discuss with.
Old 23 Jun 2020, 22:08 (Ref:3983467)   #3
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Airflow may be your best option.

Is there some way you can rig up some ducting to blow outside air over the offending window(s)? That ought to keep them fairly clear in all but the foulest of weather.

Damn you Gordon - beat me to it by three minutes while I was typing!
Old 24 Jun 2020, 08:39 (Ref:3983516)   #4
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
Airflow may be your best option.

Is there some way you can rig up some ducting to blow outside air over the offending window(s)? That ought to keep them fairly clear in all but the foulest of weather.

Damn you Gordon - beat me to it by three minutes while I was typing!

Agreed . I have always found that lack of airflow through the car is one of the major causes of windows misting up .
Sometimes just opening a side window by a little will reduce it .
And if you can get some warmed air onto the inside of the screen then it will clear it in a very short time
Old 23 Jun 2020, 22:05 (Ref:3983466)   #5
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I have used most of the things like rain x/fairy liquid/potato/squeegee on a piece of string over the years with varying degrees of success. In the end I fitted the screen hot air vent back in the car on the drivers side and funnelled air in from the front panel with convoluted heater tubing to a cowling that enclosed the dry sump tank and out up to the screen. Once on the move it worked well as the oil tank gets very hot, also it cooled the tank as well
You can do a similar thing using a 12v hair dryer but as I didn't run any charging system it wasn't feasible
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 24 Jun 2020, 08:57 (Ref:3983521)   #6
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I tried all sorts of ways of rectifying the misting problem over the years including fitting a plastic 90 degree household drainpipe bend into the window. Although this is not a particularly clear picture it can be seen next to the door mirror. This certainly helped and also gave me some fresh air as well
ANGLIA.jpg
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 24 Jun 2020, 09:12 (Ref:3983525)   #7
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I tried all sorts of ways of rectifying the misting problem over the years including fitting a plastic 90 degree household drainpipe bend into the window. Although this is not a particularly clear picture it can be seen next to the door mirror. This certainly helped and also gave me some fresh air as well
Attachment 62364
I've also seen when people do something similar that the usually put a tea strainer (remember those?) over the inlet end of the elbow so that you don't get a face full if debris if someone runs wide in front of you...
Old 24 Jun 2020, 09:22 (Ref:3983529)   #8
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I've also seen when people do something similar that the usually put a tea strainer (remember those?) over the inlet end of the elbow so that you don't get a face full if debris if someone runs wide in front of you...
But will it have a small enough mesh to stop the corvid 19 virus ?
Old 24 Jun 2020, 10:06 (Ref:3983539)   #9
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
But will it have a small enough mesh to stop the corvid 19 virus ?
Unfortunately not. According to the general opinion, all you have to do is put a rubber glove over the end of it to stop that!
Old 24 Jun 2020, 15:47 (Ref:3983624)   #10
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
all you have to do is put a rubber glove over the end of it to stop that!
And get you face smashed if you're not fast enough may be…
Old 24 Jun 2020, 16:29 (Ref:3983633)   #11
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I haven't fitted them yet, but have a pair of PC cooling fans. low load and 12v . . . cheap as chips, should be enough to keep the screen clear.

last proper race I did was 60mins on Brands GP and it rained the whole hour . . . . car only misted up after the wipers stopped working, and the screen got cold . . . . . so another suggestion, if you don't have wipers, is to fit them.
Old 24 Jun 2020, 17:35 (Ref:3983643)   #12
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I think ferguson is worried about the side windows but you're right Joe, keep the windshield clean and clear is a must. Was it the Lancia Flaminia fitted with wipers on the rear window, inside and out?
Yes, indeed: https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...shield-wipers/
Old 24 Jun 2020, 17:52 (Ref:3983648)   #13
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
IWas it the Lancia Flaminia fitted with wipers on the rear window, inside and out?
Yes, indeed: https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...shield-wipers/
And then someone invented the heated rear window to do the job!
Old 24 Jun 2020, 21:32 (Ref:3983685)   #14
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
And then someone invented the heated rear window to do the job!
Wasn't it the Lada Deluxe that was fitted with a rear heated screen, so that your hands didn't get cold when you had to push start them in the winter ?
Old 25 Jun 2020, 01:25 (Ref:3983695)   #15
ferguson
Rookie

United States
Vermont
ferguson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks everyone. I have heard of the potato . I have to say that you guys are always so helpful and willing to help. Has anyone tried toothpaste?
Old 25 Jun 2020, 05:10 (Ref:3983710)   #16
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Toothpaste!!!!! I guess we all use at least at some point! But never on soft surfaces, they are way too much abrasive. Try on silver and you'll see. I dont recommend at all, this could kill your smile!
Il y a des sauvages dans les montagnes du Nord!
Old 25 Jun 2020, 05:53 (Ref:3983713)   #17
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferguson View Post
Has anyone tried toothpaste?

The only time toothpaste should come near a car is if the glass headlight lens need serious cleaning of ingrained grime.
Old 24 Jun 2020, 19:31 (Ref:3983661)   #18
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Less romantic and less fun for the children, we must admit…*
Having a look to many gran'ma recipes I found lemon, oignon, potato and blanc de Meudon. My deduction is that a hash brown could do the job!
Old 25 Jun 2020, 07:53 (Ref:3983724)   #19
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Keep a dehumidifier in your car all time but not when driving could help. DampRid moisture absorber are cheap.
Old 28 Jun 2020, 18:22 (Ref:3984370)   #20
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Fergus, You can try all these remedies for sure,but before you start spend a good amount of time making sure the screen in clean. Soap and water but its got to be clean!!!!. Then you will stand half a chance of the screen not fogging.
Have fun.
Old 28 Jun 2020, 21:52 (Ref:3984397)   #21
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Couple of more products to consider

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/access...978/anti-mists