Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Mar 2006, 17:02 (Ref:1543791)   #1
Formula1Fanatic
Rookie

England
Warrington
Formula1Fanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Super Aguri - The new Forti?

I don't know too much about the new team although I know it was a kind of rush job getting them on the grid. The reason I say Forti is because they were usually off the pace by a few tenths, seconds but never horribly the pace.

And is the 110% rule true? If so, is Ide in?
Old 11 Mar 2006, 17:05 (Ref:1543794)   #2
F1 insider
Rookie

F1 insider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula1Fanatic
I don't know too much about the new team although I know it was a kind of rush job getting them on the grid. The reason I say Forti is because they were usually off the pace by a few tenths, seconds but never horribly the pace.

Yes, Ide is in.

As for your comparison to Forti, well I don't know what reply there is to say really. I suppose though they are connected in that they are both fairly hopeless.
Old 11 Mar 2006, 17:24 (Ref:1543800)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula1Fanatic
The 110% rule is nothing to do with determining the quality of the grid. http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...ghlight=110%25

Generally: It is their first race, with an old car and their new car isn't due for a few weeks. What exactly is expected. Potentially there is more to look forward to for this team than, say, Midland.
Old 11 Mar 2006, 17:50 (Ref:1543817)   #4
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thats an old nail of a chassis designed for different rules so no - they don't have a chance - and yeah a new forti but they are well funded but! do need some Japanese sponsors.
Old 11 Mar 2006, 17:55 (Ref:1543820)   #5
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well; although I do see where your coming from F1Fanatic, I just think it's a real achievement to be where they are. They are likely to improve, and I don't personally believe the team expected any different. After all, to be two seconds off the pace in a 2002-spec chassis, isn't tooooo bad I suppose.

haha, at least they beat Kimi :P
Old 11 Mar 2006, 18:26 (Ref:1543836)   #6
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Sato proved his worth by dragging that antique chopshop Arrows to within 2 seconds of the Midland, although maybe that says more about the quality of the M16 than anything else.

I am thankful for Super Aguri though, as it keeps one of my favourite drivers on the grid.
Old 11 Mar 2006, 18:37 (Ref:1543843)   #7
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Until they get their new chassis up and running we can't really judge where they're going to be. OK, they won't be the sharp end, but they could spring a surprise.

A bit too early for judgment methinks.
Old 11 Mar 2006, 18:41 (Ref:1543845)   #8
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I think it is an incredible achievement by Super Aguri..There is loads more to come from this team. you will see..They put this whole team together in ninety days!
Old 11 Mar 2006, 18:48 (Ref:1543847)   #9
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
we hear a lot of super achievement - big effort etc. but how much harder have SA members worked than other teams? Sure the cad monkeys have been busy reworking the back of the car to accept a Honda V8 but how different is it from the Rinland design?
Old 11 Mar 2006, 18:49 (Ref:1543849)   #10
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith
I think it is an incredible achievement by Super Aguri..There is loads more to come from this team. you will see..They put this whole team together in ninety days!
Exactly. There's some magicians in the backroom staff that's for sure, any team that can produce a race legal car, nab the right personnel and get it all shipped off to a foreign country for a race in such a tiny amount of time deserves some serious kudos.
Old 11 Mar 2006, 18:54 (Ref:1543853)   #11
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
we hear a lot of super achievement - big effort etc. but how much harder have SA members worked than other teams? Sure the cad monkeys have been busy reworking the back of the car to accept a Honda V8 but how different is it from the Rinland design?
Super Aguri didn't have the luxury of jumping in with the infrastructure already in place, F1 teams have their routine off to a fine art when it comes to getting a car prepared and shipped off for a race. Aguri had to aquire the cars, modify them and then make sure everything was go for Bahrain. It's unfair to say they worked harder than any other team I suppose, but it's equally unfair not to recognise the mammoth task they took on and completed successfully in such a short timeframe.
Old 11 Mar 2006, 19:02 (Ref:1543861)   #12
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Super Aguri probably have less staff than any other team as well, so they've had to gel and ensure that everybody is working at the best in a group. As for finances, tehy seem to be well backed and unlikely to go to the wall anytime soon.

If they can get a car to the end of the race tomorrow I'll be delighted for them. If they are unable to beat Midland with the 2005 BAR clone once they have that, then there might be room for criticism, but for now we should be delighted that there are 2 extra cars on the grid, and a drive with many rabid fans in an important F1 market is still on the grid.
Old 11 Mar 2006, 19:40 (Ref:1543888)   #13
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think Super Aguri have done rather well.

The team was announced, what, four and a half months ago? And they are in Bahrain, lining up for the race.

Yes, they are spectacularly slow but we have a new team, which is good, and they can only get better in time.

Ide is pants so far though, I must admit.
Old 11 Mar 2006, 19:42 (Ref:1543890)   #14
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
This new chassis people mention, what form is this going to come in?

I heard a while back they were going to use a modified 2005 BAR chassis, however I also heard that they plan to build their own chassis in time for April.

What is actually happening?
Old 11 Mar 2006, 19:44 (Ref:1543892)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
New chassis apparently. Although quite how they intend to get this ready for April is anyone's guess...
Old 11 Mar 2006, 20:09 (Ref:1543914)   #16
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Menelaos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has anyone noticed that Aguri's drivers are Ide and Sato? They're almost like computer hard discs...........
Old 11 Mar 2006, 20:38 (Ref:1543929)   #17
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Fair is fair guys, SA have done an incredible job to get two cars to Bahrain to start tomorrows race having been little more than an idea just a few months ago. Just assembling staff capable of running an F1 team is a feat in itself, let alone brokering engine deals, raising finance and choreographing from Japan.
Let's not forget that in recent years, with the exception of the largest car company in the world [Toyota] who spent years planning and a full year in development, nobody has managed to set up a new F1 team from scratch.
Big up to Aguri, he's probably achieved more in Bahrain today than anyone else.
Old 11 Mar 2006, 20:59 (Ref:1543937)   #18
Nismo
Racer

Nismo is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
I wish super aguri all teh luck..I really hope they do well and beat midland.

As for midland I hope they fail dismally! what a dry team...
Old 11 Mar 2006, 21:09 (Ref:1543943)   #19
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd rather wait and judge them on their new chassis - I suppose they can't blatantly state that they're using a BAR design can they ?
Old 12 Mar 2006, 11:14 (Ref:1545018)   #20
pforrester
Racer

England
Leek, Staffs
pforrester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure I read somewhere they only have 100 staff or something like that! To be within 6-8 seconds of teams with six or seven times that number of staff (and in four year old cars prepared within amatter of months) is frankly astonishing. Although some backing from Honda can't be too much of a hinderance.
Old 12 Mar 2006, 13:54 (Ref:1545118)   #21
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
What Aguri have achieved so far is less (or equal to at best) than every other team on the grid. They have not designed or built a car yet, just chopped an old one about a bit and got it running. The real achievement was the business of getting an entry but then all the teams wanted another team (or two) on the grid. And without them there would be no Japanese drivers on the grid and I don't think Honda could stomch that.
100 people is more than HRD had when they designed built and extensivley tested 6 competitive cars in 1999.

Aguri had a ready made HQ, all the original software and parts systems (hell they could even pick up the old e-mails from the arrows days).

Lets wait to see the new car before we all cry - amazing, wonderful, big effort.

I'm not knocking them at all, I like that theres another team on the grid and I like that its Honda powered (I like Honda) but it jars slightly that everyone is carping how amazing the achievement is when we don't cry about how stunning Renualts engine crowd are to have swithched philospohy over the winter to go from 72 to 90 degrees, lose a pair of cylinders and have totally different harmonics to deal with. Or Toyota who had to develop two V8's due to uncertainty over the rules. Or all the other teams efforts to field two cars - don't overlook them either.
Old 12 Mar 2006, 14:01 (Ref:1545128)   #22
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
I'm not knocking them at all
Sam. What a funny way of saying well done!!!

Toyota - 2 different V8 engines.... a few years experience with 2 experienced pilots, loadsa staff and loadsa money!!! And how many more points did they get over SA today?
Old 12 Mar 2006, 14:26 (Ref:1545156)   #23
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toyota are having a good attempt at being the new Forti!
as for SA - it says a lot for Honda that they're so keen to be involved, likewise Sato... and I thought when Arrows folded that it looked like a waste of a good car.
Old 12 Mar 2006, 14:39 (Ref:1545174)   #24
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sat finished 4 laps behind which for a teams first race in a 4 year old chassis isn't that bad. Minardi have been worse in the last couple of years. I expect much improvement as the season goes on.

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 12 Mar 2006, 15:37 (Ref:1545210)   #25
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
Alwaysfirst says what I think is far more accurate - not too bad - but not great either - should be interesting to watch them improve