Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 8 May 2006, 07:15 (Ref:1603049)   #1
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Spa 6 Hour Race

Starting the annual thread a little early as I have just read the regs for the race - no Sports Racers allowed this year but teh Germans with their yoki's will be...... also fuel not included in the entry this year - that will hurt you Louise!!!!
We are thinking about entering the Lotus Cortina instead of the Merlyn but struggle to understand the rationale behind banning the Sports Racers and allowing the maniacs with the German hotrods (who it should be remembered caused one of the worst accidents of the race during the safety car period!). Clearly I am talking my book but would be interested to hear what others think
Old 8 May 2006, 07:23 (Ref:1603055)   #2
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I'm not sure I'm qualified to comment on the sports racers, aside the fact that some of them aren't pre 96 let alone 66 ! is it because many of them never competed in period in long races ?

The German cars seem to be prepared 'differently' and in a way that isn't in keeping with the rest of the field ??? and certainly the tyres are a big issue/talking point.

Does the race struggle to fill the grid without the German contingent ? from what I'd seen in the past I'd say no
Old 8 May 2006, 07:32 (Ref:1603059)   #3
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think that the organisers have gone for the easy option - the Germans will take 30 cars but I am certain that the FIA cars would easily take that slack up. re the Sports Racers - the moody one from 2 years ago was made to run as an invitation class last year. Sports Racers most definately did endurance in period - remember Clark's dominance at the Nordschlieffe in a 23b led to the French banning it from Le Mans because they wanted a French car to win that class......
Old 8 May 2006, 08:06 (Ref:1603086)   #4
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
the French do that all the time at LeMans !

seems odd to ban the sports racers then, maybe they're doing it under pressure from the Germans ? so it'll effectively turn into an enduro saloon car race, then withing 5 years it'll be THunder saloons and somewhere to take you Janglia, Skoda DFV, Chevy-beetle etc !!!
Old 8 May 2006, 08:48 (Ref:1603113)   #5
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I have a customer who races as well in those German Idi... (sorry) Historics, I'll ask if he knows more about the fact Spa does not allow sportscars. It almost sounds like they are behind it.
Old 8 May 2006, 08:48 (Ref:1603115)   #6
simon drabble
Veteran

the German cars are already there - the Yank tank last year was as trick as you like - it put in a sub 3 minute lap which is ridiculous! It could at best be descirbed as a silouette!
Old 8 May 2006, 09:05 (Ref:1603126)   #7
simon drabble
Veteran

sadly there was only 3 sports racers and 30 germans so I guess they were always going to win.... might look for another long distance race at Spa instead - anyone know what VdeV are like?
Old 8 May 2006, 10:19 (Ref:1603192)   #8
LAK
Racer

LAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wow - sorry to hear the sports car news Simon. That screws up your plans a bit. i must admit that although the sports racers are a little tricky to see from our high up Falcon, I would much rather race with them than the German lot on their modern tyres. We have entered and been accepted and are really looking forward to it. Um, I just need to save up for the fuel now...
Old 8 May 2006, 10:50 (Ref:1603214)   #9
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Marcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
sadly there was only 3 sports racers and 30 germans so I guess they were always going to win.... might look for another long distance race at Spa instead - anyone know what VdeV are like?
VdeV are very good and professional. The organiser (Eric VdV) has been racing in historics for years. Give them a try definitely. Our FJ Lurani race at Spa is now in July (15/16) alongside TGP, Orwell, Group C, Grand Turismo Masters and Sport Racing Masters (I am not quite sure what the latter two series are, but might suit you).

All the best
Marcus
Old 8 May 2006, 17:09 (Ref:1603519)   #10
Peter Horsman
Racer

Peter Horsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GT Masters and Sports Masters are the old Gentleman Driver series now under Masters' umbrella. They (we) are at Spa 16/16 July and at the 6 hour meeting.
Old 10 May 2006, 06:52 (Ref:1604811)   #11
simon drabble
Veteran

judging by the FHR website and Redwater's avoidance of the question I think we can assume that altho everyone in the 6 Hour will be on Dunlop and Avons (if wet) the FHR cars (which will be on the same grid as last year) will be free to run on yoki's so my only advice is insure your car if entering as they caused a fair amount of damage last year (most notably crashing into a TVR when everyone was under a service car). It is very sad that the organizers feel it neccessary to include these lunatics and more to the point a shame they wont actually admit they are going to run (clearly knowing what the other drivers and subsequent editorial comment in all the british car mags think about their driving standards!) - you have to go to the FHR website for confirmation!! Rant over!
Old 10 May 2006, 08:27 (Ref:1604868)   #12
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
spa six hours

There is nothing on the FHR website about Spa . There is no problem if the FHR racers come and race on Avons Dunlops I presume
If read the regs of redwater, correct me if i am wrong, dunlops Avons only.
If this is correct we put our Grantura on the list!!!!!
Old 10 May 2006, 16:30 (Ref:1605210)   #13
simon drabble
Veteran

Having just had a long chat with Vincent at Redwater I am pleased to report he said that if FHR run they will have to run with Dunlop M (Avons if wet) so on that basis we are entering the Lotus Cortina!
Old 10 May 2006, 16:51 (Ref:1605235)   #14
one-two
Racer

one-two should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
spa

Aren't Dunlops and Avons eligible whatever the weather? The regs don't mention rain as far as I can see?
Old 11 May 2006, 07:13 (Ref:1605669)   #15
simon drabble
Veteran

you might be right although my understanding was it had to be declared wet - I think the general view is that Avons wouldnt last 6 hours in the dry!
Old 11 May 2006, 07:25 (Ref:1605676)   #16
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
Which depends on the car and which Avons you use! there are I think 2 types and one will last on a Cortina I think . (for instance it ode on an MGB but not on a Healey)
Old 11 May 2006, 07:32 (Ref:1605682)   #17
simon drabble
Veteran

that is interesting and you reckon that the Avons are ok to use even in the dry? I thought it had to be declared a wet race first
so why doesnt everyone use Avons as they give more grip dont they?
Old 11 May 2006, 07:54 (Ref:1605700)   #18
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
we did and others did use those in long distance races, wet or not. I have a Healey where the difference between Avons and Dunlops in the dry don't do a lot. maybe its between my ears and because of being used to. The TVR loves Avons thats for sure.
Old 11 May 2006, 08:02 (Ref:1605704)   #19
simon drabble
Veteran

sadly Avons dont fit under my Merlyn so I have never used them! Seems I need to experiment with them or if any Lotus Cortina driiver has any experience of them I would be grateul to hear their view... Also wouldnt mind hearing their views on fuel consumption...
Old 12 May 2006, 07:34 (Ref:1606735)   #20
LAK
Racer

LAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great news about the FHR guys Simon. Let's hope for a safer race for us all this year. We can't wait!

BTW, the yank tank you mention earlier in the thread is a Ford Fairlane which was built by Holman Moody last year. It does have FIA papers and is in the Prototype category. We saw it at the Nurburgring last year being repaired and it did look very modern. However Holman Moody prepared them in period (and will prepare one for you now if you have enough $) so they should know what they're doing. If I had the money I'd be tempted as they left us for dead on the straight and we have 400 bhp or so and were leaving others for dead!
Old 13 May 2006, 10:59 (Ref:1607819)   #21
simon drabble
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAK
Great news about the FHR guys Simon. Let's hope for a safer race for us all this year. We can't wait!

BTW, the yank tank you mention earlier in the thread is a Ford Fairlane which was built by Holman Moody last year. It does have FIA papers and is in the Prototype category. We saw it at the Nurburgring last year being repaired and it did look very modern. However Holman Moody prepared them in period (and will prepare one for you now if you have enough $) so they should know what they're doing. If I had the money I'd be tempted as they left us for dead on the straight and we have 400 bhp or so and were leaving others for dead!
USD 250k I was told - for that money there are other cars I would prefer - not sure that they went that fast in period though!!!
Old 14 May 2006, 08:31 (Ref:1609298)   #22
drbob
Racer

drbob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry I missed previous discussions involving the yokis. What was the problem with them.

Was the Holman Moody car Thunderbolt specs or lightweight Thunderbolt body
Old 15 May 2006, 06:59 (Ref:1610185)   #23
simon drabble
Veteran

not sure what body it had as I am not a big yank tank fan! The yoki shod FHR cars in the invitation race within the 6 hour race last year showed an amazing lack of racecraft - whether this was due to teh yoki's giving them more grip into the corners or whether they were just outstandingly bad drivers I dont know but their highlights include 2 crashes whilst driving behing the pace car. The race ultimately had to be stopped for 1 hour to lear up the debris, they were not a great advert for historics - oh and in a race of FIA cars they were definate Hot Rods
Old 15 May 2006, 07:30 (Ref:1610216)   #24
drbob
Racer

drbob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simon so it was not a problem with the tyres themselves just the bloke steering. A good driver with 32's or 48's ( I presume ) should have been quite OK then
The reason I asked about the Fairlane is that I am thinking of going from a Lotus Cortina to a V8 in Aussie Historic Touring cars in the pre 65 category.
Most of the V8's in that class are Mustangs and I wanted something different.But I suppose the Achilles heel would be brakes on the Fairlane
Old 2 Jun 2006, 07:59 (Ref:1625199)   #25
JFW
Racer

JFW should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sports racers at Spa

Simon,

have you seen the other races that accept sports racers....

you could almost race 6 hours [3 times]

if your car is upto it.

J