Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Sep 2019, 16:57 (Ref:3926684)   #1
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
How to Avoid Race Result Spoilers - Advice

Thanks a bunch. Please keep the spoilers on the race thread rather than screwing up my enjoyment of the race I have yet to see . Hell and damnation , one of my favourite Grands Prix too - if it had been some bad Tilke joke like most of the new circuits I'd merely be peeved but this is bloody MONZA .
Old 8 Sep 2019, 17:05 (Ref:3926685)   #2
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
Thanks a bunch. Please keep the spoilers on the race thread rather than screwing up my enjoyment of the race I have yet to see . Hell and damnation , one of my favourite Grands Prix too - if it had been some bad Tilke joke like most of the new circuits I'd merely be peeved but this is bloody MONZA .
Frankly, I think it's wise to avoid motorsport forums and similar media while there still a race you want to see.
That's what I do.
Old 8 Sep 2019, 23:17 (Ref:3926761)   #3
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
You only have yourself to blame here
Old 9 Sep 2019, 01:11 (Ref:3926770)   #4
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
This is thread about race winners? Why were you reading updates here immediately after a race if you didn't want to be spoiled?

Richard
Old 9 Sep 2019, 03:29 (Ref:3926791)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Cheese

Quote:
Epic fail

In the future I hope everyone will refrain from discussing the most recent race on this motorsport forum until coppice has notified us that they have watched the race.
Old 9 Sep 2019, 16:28 (Ref:3926948)   #6
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
i can sympathize.

sometimes you want to look at another forum here or another thread in this forum and see a thread like this one highlighted (marked as having a new post in it) or on the 'Home' page having this thread show up under the recent thread section...well it stands to reason if there is a new post in a thread like this one/if this thread is highlighted it can come across as a major hint/spoiler.

anyways, im not sure this would work but if you came to the site without logging in then i think all threads would be highlighted as unread so from a glace you would not know which ones had new posts in it...that may be a way to avoid spoilers while allowing you to follow other topics.

and yes, well done ItisI!
Old 9 Sep 2019, 23:31 (Ref:3927018)   #7
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
i can sympathize.

sometimes you want to look at another forum here or another thread in this forum and see a thread like this one highlighted (marked as having a new post in it) or on the 'Home' page having this thread show up under the recent thread section...well it stands to reason if there is a new post in a thread like this one/if this thread is highlighted it can come across as a major hint/spoiler.

anyways, im not sure this would work but if you came to the site without logging in then i think all threads would be highlighted as unread so from a glace you would not know which ones had new posts in it...that may be a way to avoid spoilers while allowing you to follow other topics.

and yes, well done ItisI!
If you click on a thread about one-time race winners... with a new post following a race where a driver had just added himself to the list the race prior, I'm really not sure what someone could expect aside from a giant spoiler.
Old 10 Sep 2019, 00:00 (Ref:3927023)   #8
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If I miss or am unable to watch something live and I dont want to spoil the result I just go into a media lockdown..... no forums, no social media, no websites or anywhere that might potentially spoil the result. Often includes not speaking to friends who might have already watched it.
Its really not that difficult, and to expect a forum not to discuss a race live these days, well get with the times.
Old 10 Sep 2019, 06:51 (Ref:3927062)   #9
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
If I miss or am unable to watch something live and I dont want to spoil the result I just go into a media lockdown..... no forums, no social media, no websites or anywhere that might potentially spoil the result. Often includes not speaking to friends who might have already watched it.
Its really not that difficult, and to expect a forum not to discuss a race live these days, well get with the times.
Yep, this is exactly what I do too. I've even learned to make sure I've not got my TV tuned to the news channel when I switch on to watch my recordings. A couple of times I've had to run out of the room when the announcer has started to talk about the race!
Old 10 Sep 2019, 08:23 (Ref:3927078)   #10
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Yep, this is exactly what I do too. I've even learned to make sure I've not got my TV tuned to the news channel when I switch on to watch my recordings. A couple of times I've had to run out of the room when the announcer has started to talk about the race!
Similar here - if I am unable to watch the race live, then I will even ensure that I am listening to pre-recorded music to prevent a news bulletin on the radio spoiling the result.

Even going on the internet is dangerous, as many news feeds can appear in sidebars or banners on other websites.

Want to avoid media, don't use a media service.

Old 10 Sep 2019, 00:41 (Ref:3927029)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The problem is that the people who it is a spoiler for don’t let it be known that no one else is allowed to mention the race in any other thread. If they did it would be completely reasonable that they could demand that everyone else is not allowed to discuss the race outside of the single limited race thread no matter how relevant.

This is sarcasm. No need to comment further on this. Discussion on F1’s most recent events is allowed in any thread on the F1 forum (or, if relevant, elsewhere on 10-10ths).
Old 10 Sep 2019, 07:04 (Ref:3927065)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think we should prorogue 10/10s until at least the Friday after the previous race. That way 10/10s can't be blamed for spoiling the result for those who can't watch it live. Perhaps a vote on this?
Old 10 Sep 2019, 17:29 (Ref:3927200)   #13
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I think we should prorogue 10/10s until at least the Friday after the previous race. That way 10/10s can't be blamed for spoiling the result for those who can't watch it live. Perhaps a vote on this?
Or several...... With flags and placards too......
Old 10 Sep 2019, 07:43 (Ref:3927071)   #14
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
What about those of us who have no TV coverage at all and have to wait 6 weeks for a copy of Autosport to come by sea mail to see the results?.
Old 10 Sep 2019, 07:46 (Ref:3927072)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
What about those of us who have no TV coverage at all and have to wait 6 weeks for a copy of Autosport to come by sea mail to see the results?.
He said sheepishly....................................
Old 10 Sep 2019, 08:53 (Ref:3927087)   #16
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
You've got many options if you want to avoid hearing the result. Staying off the internet is the best option. It's also best if you stay away from any news bulletins
Old 10 Sep 2019, 08:58 (Ref:3927095)   #17
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Best. Thread. Ever.

I am just watching some of the F1 races from 2005, so please refrain from posting anywhere on the internet anything that might spoil the surprise for me.
Old 10 Sep 2019, 09:08 (Ref:3927102)   #18
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
I am just watching some of the F1 races from 2005, so please refrain from posting anywhere on the internet anything that might spoil the surprise for me.
Old 10 Sep 2019, 09:54 (Ref:3927117)   #19
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Best. Thread. Ever. I am just watching some of the F1 races from 2005, so please refrain from posting anywhere on the internet anything that might spoil the surprise for me.
For me, it means not looking at the F1 forum at all until after I’ve seen the race, switching off radio if news comes on, and likewise TV. Beeb sport homepage can be a spoiler as well, so if I need to catch up on another sport it means covering the screen while selecting the appropriate sport.... Oh, and friends prone to texting about races are advised beforehand if I’m watching a GP live or highlights later!

I was returning from Imola a year or two ago, feeling safe listening to an Italian radio station playing music. Suddenly they broke away live to a GP somewhere for an update on how Ferrari were getting on. Of course the drivers names were recognisable, even if the rest wasn’t. Was not impressed.....
Old 10 Sep 2019, 10:47 (Ref:3927135)   #20
karting
Racer

karting should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This thread didn’t go aswell as you hoped did it? 😂
Old 10 Sep 2019, 18:52 (Ref:3927219)   #21
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by karting View Post
This thread didn’t go aswell as you hoped did it? 😂
To be fair to the OP, he didn't start a thread on this topic. He posted in the one hit wonders thread and the bulk of this content was moved out of that thread by an admin/moderator. I am not even sure if he knows this thread exists.

Either way, I understand his frustration, but also I don't quite agree with his complaint.

Richard
Old 17 Sep 2019, 06:38 (Ref:3928464)   #22
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
To be fair to the OP, he didn't start a thread on this topic. He posted in the one hit wonders thread and the bulk of this content was moved out of that thread by an admin/moderator. I am not even sure if he knows this thread exists.

Either way, I understand his frustration, but also I don't quite agree with his complaint.

Richard

I know it exists now , and am just a bit peeved that a comment I made in the heat of a moment,without my knowledge , let alone consent , has been relaunched as a new thread I had no intention of starting... Anyway , the spoiler didn't ..err.. spoil my enjoyment of Leclerc's win - a home Ferrari win after a drought is something to savour .

Back to the original issue and my preference , which other forums seem to adopt , is to confine spoilers to the race thread . Bearing in mind , Ch 4 coverage in UK hadn't even been run when I viewed the comment , I think a little more discretion would heve been good. But hey, nobody died .
Old 17 Sep 2019, 06:41 (Ref:3928466)   #23
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
I know it exists now , and am just a bit peeved that a comment I made in the heat of a moment,without my knowledge , let alone consent , has been relaunched as a new thread I had no intention of starting... Anyway , the spoiler didn't ..err.. spoil my enjoyment of Leclerc's win - a home Ferrari win after a drought is something to savour .

Back to the original issue and my preference , which other forums seem to adopt , is to confine spoilers to the race thread . Bearing in mind , Ch 4 coverage in UK hadn't even been run when I viewed the comment , I think a little more discretion would heve been good. But hey, nobody died .
You took the thread totally off topic so I could have just binned all those posts. But I thought this would be more fun.
Old 17 Sep 2019, 10:52 (Ref:3928497)   #24
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:

I understand your point. Fun has been had at your expense. Maybe this thread can die a natural death, or be locked by a sympathetic admin?

Richard
Old 17 Sep 2019, 13:41 (Ref:3928524)   #25
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
am just a bit peeved that a comment I made in the heat of a moment,without my knowledge , let alone consent , has been relaunched as a new thread I had no intention of starting...
You'll probably find you gave the consent when you signed up to the forum?