Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 4 Feb 2020, 15:47 (Ref:3955665)   #1
smithhehehaha
Racer

smithhehehaha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No FIA GT World Cup for 2020?

Why I raised this theory? Because SRO arranged the 9-hour race in Kyalami during the Macau GP weekend. That's no reason for SRO to put a stone to hit against a race that he also host. So probably SRO is not going to continue to host FIA GT World Cup in Macau, even though there is no official announcement?

What is more, even better arrangements to avoid calendar clash and open the race to Silver class drivers, the participants did not improve in 2019 compare with 2018.

Or the race will become a non-SRO / FIA event since 2014?
Old 4 Feb 2020, 17:14 (Ref:3955691)   #2
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithhehehaha View Post
Why I raised this theory? Because SRO arranged the 9-hour race in Kyalami during the Macau GP weekend. That's no reason for SRO to put a stone to hit against a race that he also host. So probably SRO is not going to continue to host FIA GT World Cup in Macau, even though there is no official announcement?

What is more, even better arrangements to avoid calendar clash and open the race to Silver class drivers, the participants did not improve in 2019 compare with 2018.

Or the race will become a non-SRO / FIA event since 2014?
Ratel has mentioned this in a number of interviews recently. The World Cup is still to be finalised, if it is, the SRO will move Kyalami back a weekend
Old 4 Feb 2020, 17:21 (Ref:3955694)   #3
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Ratel said that Macau chose an unexpected weekend, and he would move the Kyalami race if required.
Old 4 Feb 2020, 18:49 (Ref:3955715)   #4
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

People do not read much nowadays. If they would, they would know Ratel will change the date of Kyalami. Macau is sacred.
Old 5 Feb 2020, 07:08 (Ref:3955791)   #5
smithhehehaha
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Ratel said that Macau chose an unexpected weekend, and he would move the Kyalami race if required.
It has a long tradition for Macau to host the GP on the third weekend of November.
Old 5 Feb 2020, 08:17 (Ref:3955799)   #6
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
SRO have a habit of organising races on weekends when other series and events are known to be likely to happen. I wonder if they think that announcing their calendars relatively early means they get first call, but it doesn’t work like that.

As another example, the Endurance Series finale this year is at Nürburgring on what was always going to be the weekend of the WEC/ELMS double header at Silverstone. That’s just silly. Just for kicks, Creventic then put the Barcelona 24 Hours on the same weekend. I know some clashes are inevitable, but that doesn’t mean organisers throwing their hands in the air and giving up. There’s only so much spectator and viewing available.
Old 5 Feb 2020, 09:16 (Ref:3955813)   #7
Monkey Head
Veteran

Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Monkey Head should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stephen Ratel has told to SC365 they are going to push Kyalami 9Hrs one week back on last friday. Please read all the news before you raise your question

https://sportscar365.com/sro/igtc/ba...ay-notebook-6/
Old 5 Feb 2020, 15:40 (Ref:3955898)   #8
W2Motorsport
Racer

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
W2Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
SRO have a habit of organising races on weekends when other series and events are known to be likely to happen. I wonder if they think that announcing their calendars relatively early means they get first call, but it doesn’t work like that.

As another example, the Endurance Series finale this year is at Nürburgring on what was always going to be the weekend of the WEC/ELMS double header at Silverstone. That’s just silly. Just for kicks, Creventic then put the Barcelona 24 Hours on the same weekend. I know some clashes are inevitable, but that doesn’t mean organisers throwing their hands in the air and giving up. There’s only so much spectator and viewing available.
If I remember correctly these three races clashed last year as well. I don't necessarily think that they impact each other all that much. Perhaps the Barcelona race will suffer a bit at the loss of a few teams who would have done paid drives who will otherwise be at the SRO race. There are a few drivers who will be running WEC that may have had a seat at Nurburgring otherwise but I don't think many if any people who would be competing for points.

I think the main focus of SRO is to not compete with their own series, and 26 races to schedule over the course of the season just for SRO World Challenge, and then add FFSA, and British GT on top of that and they have their hands full IMO.
Old 5 Feb 2020, 17:36 (Ref:3955939)   #9
smithhehehaha
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Head View Post
Stephen Ratel has told to SC365 they are going to push Kyalami 9Hrs one week back on last friday. Please read all the news before you raise your question

https://sportscar365.com/sro/igtc/ba...ay-notebook-6/
Indeed I read several websites and magazines before I raise this theory. Better planning next time....
Old 5 Feb 2020, 20:19 (Ref:3955989)   #10
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2Motorsport View Post
If I remember correctly these three races clashed last year as well.
They did, with a couple of caveats: the Nurburgring date was announced before anyone knew how the WEC Superseason was going to work. When Silverstone was announced, SRO changed Nurburgring from Endurance to Sprint. This year WEC was always likely to start 5/6 Sep (previous weekend at Silverstone is MotoGP) but SRO put Nurburgring there anyway and this time they have left it as Endurance. DTM is now the following weekend at Nurburgring so SRO are left with the clash.

Everything you write about the challenge SRO has given the scale of its operation, is true. I do think that this particular clash was avoidable, however, with a bit of foresight.

And we are, of course, off-topic!
Old 5 Feb 2020, 21:49 (Ref:3956002)   #11
W2Motorsport
Racer

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
W2Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post

They did, with a couple of caveats: the Nurburgring date was announced before anyone knew how the WEC Superseason was going to work. When Silverstone was announced, SRO changed Nurburgring from Endurance to Sprint. This year WEC was always likely to start 5/6 Sep (previous weekend at Silverstone is MotoGP) but SRO put Nurburgring there anyway and this time they have left it as Endurance. DTM is now the following weekend at Nurburgring so SRO are left with the clash.

Everything you write about the challenge SRO has given the scale of its operation, is true. I do think that this particular clash was avoidable, however, with a bit of foresight.

And we are, of course, off-topic!
I thought that was the case, because I attended the Silverstone WEC race last year and I remember watching the Blancpain races on the train to Edinburgh a few days later. I agree although the WEC/Barcelona 24 conflicts are not the biggest/worst conflicts on the SRO schedule (I believe the ADAC/IGTC conflicts will actually prove to be a big impact on the IGTC season). I plan to attend the race at Indianapolis and would love to see the conflict resolved because with an ADAC conflict some serious firepower will be missing from the line ups.

You are right though, we are off topic on this one. Hopefully Macau gets resolved, it's never much of a race but its a good spectacle in an important market for the manufacturers.
Old 9 Feb 2020, 15:37 (Ref:3956616)   #12
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If only there was some sort of international federation who could oversee motorsport... perhaps if they had sway in authorising calenders and a bit of political muscle to get people into a room to talk

Some may say I'm a dreamer
Old 9 Feb 2020, 17:19 (Ref:3956642)   #13
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ;3955715
Blah blah blah...Macau is sacred.

Despite being one of the most idiotic GT3 races on the planet?
Old 8 Mar 2020, 17:25 (Ref:3962339)   #14
smithhehehaha
Racer

No words from FIA about GT World Cup after the first session of World Motor Sport Council on March 6.
Old 9 Mar 2020, 09:59 (Ref:3962431)   #15
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

Perhaps SRO did not receive an answer from Macau. Racing must not be their priority now.
Old 17 Mar 2020, 17:00 (Ref:3964977)   #16
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
https://sportscar365.com/sro/igtc/kyalami-9h-date-moved-to-avoid-macau-clash/
Old 5 Apr 2020, 09:00 (Ref:3968721)   #17
smithhehehaha
Racer

https://www.fiawec.com/en/news/fia-w...-calendar/6681

The revised WEC calendar puts another Bahrain 8 hours in Nov 21, may affect the plans for the GT runners.
Old 31 May 2020, 11:56 (Ref:3979441)   #18
smithhehehaha
Racer

It is confirmed that the GT World Cup will not held in 2020, with uncertainty on whether it will be resumed in 2021....
Old 31 May 2020, 18:01 (Ref:3979504)   #19
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithhehehaha View Post
It is confirmed that the GT World Cup will not held in 2020, with uncertainty on whether it will be resumed in 2021....
I dont think the race is worth the hype unfortunately. More of a procession than Monaco.

The idea of a GT World for Pros is great though, do it on a decent track instead in 2021
Old 15 Jun 2020, 08:17 (Ref:3982141)   #20
Drake12321
Rookie

Drake12321 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
I dont think the race is worth the hype unfortunately. More of a procession than Monaco.

The idea of a GT World for Pros is great though, do it on a decent track instead in 2021
I agree. I would like to see the spectacle and thoughtful race.