Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 9 May 2020, 10:09 (Ref:3975205)   #26
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Can't be many, can it? I don't recall seeing much in the way if track marshalling. And apparently booking is online at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 9 May 2020, 11:47 (Ref:3975217)   #27
Pdh
Racer

Pdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Out of curiosity, how many staff are required to operate the Nordschleife on a public day?
Not many because it’s classed as a public toll road, so there’s only ever a small amount of staff at the beginning
Old 9 May 2020, 15:47 (Ref:3975250)   #28
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdh View Post
Not many because it’s classed as a public toll road, so there’s only ever a small amount of staff at the beginning
How different do circuits have to operate from that model?
Old 9 May 2020, 16:31 (Ref:3975257)   #29
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
maybe the vln test comparison is better than the touristenfahrt mode. can’t imagine vln drivers have to ring the control centre for a recovery truck when they stack it?
Old 9 May 2020, 17:43 (Ref:3975268)   #30
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
How different do circuits have to operate from that model?
Get the track classed as a public road then let them operate to the Highway Code. Which means the national speed limit will apply. I suppose they could get an act of parliament to change that.
Old 9 May 2020, 18:44 (Ref:3975276)   #31
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Get the track classed as a public road then let them operate to the Highway Code. Which means the national speed limit will apply. I suppose they could get an act of parliament to change that.
I get what you mean.
Just putting the thought out that, what is in effect a race circuit, allows cars to travel in a non-competitive manner at very high speed with minimal staff levels.
Is it that far removed from a track day? And (a genuine curiosity) why can't other circuits operate with the same level of staff?
Old 9 May 2020, 19:03 (Ref:3975284)   #32
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As I said, basically they do.

There is a rescue crew (couple of blokes in a Transit) and an observer at strategic corners simply to help speed things up if a car stops. A radio message is much quicker than a phone call.

Old 9 May 2020, 19:50 (Ref:3975293)   #33
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I get what you mean.
Just putting the thought out that, what is in effect a race circuit, allows cars to travel in a non-competitive manner at very high speed with minimal staff levels.
Is it that far removed from a track day? And (a genuine curiosity) why can't other circuits operate with the same level of staff?
In some ways similar, but ultimately they can’t be governed by normal road laws.

Staffing at track days is pretty minimal anyway to your point, as midgetman points out.

They can use lights instead as flags, which I assume as controlled from the centre. There is CCTV around the circuit. Any slight problem and the whole session tends to be red flagged anyway. Overtaking, depending on level, organiser and circuit, is very controlled. Only at certain points, always either on the left or right side, on a straight and only with consent.
Old 10 May 2020, 23:17 (Ref:3975441)   #34
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm a full race license holder. I race, do track days and have marshalled on the odd occasion. You cannot compare the lvl of Marshalling done at track days as sufficient for racing. Its difficult to explain concisely.....but when you are racing the danger levels go through the roof compared to track days.

Also race events are run to a tight schedule, so more marshals are needed to respond to incidents quicker. On a trackday you can loose 15 -20 mins of track time when a simple off occurs.....that's an entire race for most club level series. And the likely hood of an off when racing is high.

So anyone who thinks you can run a race event on trackday staffing..... wake up and smell the coffee will you. Better still.... invest some time and money, get a licence, do a few races and come back and tell me you still think a trackday isnt much removed from a day racing.
Old 11 May 2020, 00:52 (Ref:3975446)   #35
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
After today's statement from the PM the absolute best case scenario doesn't see anything changing for motorsport before the of July and any further backwards motion will push that back further.

Conclusion? Inconclusive. I predict another calendar being formed before its shelved entirely for this year.
Old 11 May 2020, 13:00 (Ref:3975513)   #36
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i personally believe that’s talking about sporting events the public can attend. and every sport carries a different risk doesn’t it? ours is no greater than a normal workplace.

theoretically as of wednesday we can go testing again, as long as we have social distancing and sanitary plans in place.
Old 11 May 2020, 14:14 (Ref:3975527)   #37
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
After today's statement from the PM the absolute best case scenario doesn't see anything changing for motorsport before the of July and any further backwards motion will push that back further.

Conclusion? Inconclusive. I predict another calendar being formed before its shelved entirely for this year.
Now that the documentation supporting the announcement has been released, things are a bit more conclusive.

Step Two will not start until 1 June at the earliest. That means:
'No professional sport, even behind closed doors, will be staged in England until 1 June at the earliest.
Reopening venues that attract large crowds, such as sports grounds, may only be fully possible significantly later depending on the reduction in numbers of infections.'

Step Three will not start until 4 July at the earliest. That means:
'Some of the remaining businesses that have been forced to close, including hospitality and leisure facilities may be permitted to open.
Some venues which are, by design, crowded and where it may prove difficult to enact distancing may still not be able to reopen safely at this point, or may be able to open safely only in part.'

And through all of the steps:
'Only the development of a vaccine or effective drugs can reliably control this epidemic and reduce mortality without some form of social distancing or contact tracing in place.'
Old 11 May 2020, 17:16 (Ref:3975577)   #38
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Now that the documentation supporting the announcement has been released, things are a bit more conclusive.

Step Two will not start until 1 June at the earliest. That means:
'No professional sport, even behind closed doors, will be staged in England until 1 June at the earliest.
Reopening venues that attract large crowds, such as sports grounds, may only be fully possible significantly later depending on the reduction in numbers of infections.'

Step Three will not start until 4 July at the earliest. That means:
'Some of the remaining businesses that have been forced to close, including hospitality and leisure facilities may be permitted to open.
Some venues which are, by design, crowded and where it may prove difficult to enact distancing may still not be able to reopen safely at this point, or may be able to open safely only in part.'

And through all of the steps:
'Only the development of a vaccine or effective drugs can reliably control this epidemic and reduce mortality without some form of social distancing or contact tracing in place.'
Doesn't the BTCC aim to restart on August 1? Seems like BTCC made a pretty good stab at getting it right
Old 11 May 2020, 17:40 (Ref:3975583)   #39
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Doesn't the BTCC aim to restart on August 1? Seems like BTCC made a pretty good stab at getting it right
IF the conditions allow that timeline.
It's a big if.
Old 11 May 2020, 20:14 (Ref:3975601)   #40
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
motorsport uk have as well. i think we’ll see testing kick off early june as we were all expecting.

judging by the state of the roads today compared to last monday, a significant number of people were heading back to work today anyway. there’s been... well i’d say a 25% increase in freight on the roads, which suggests a lot of non food supply chains are getting back underway.
Old 12 May 2020, 08:02 (Ref:3975650)   #41
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
IF the conditions allow that timeline.
It's a big if.
Well if the timeline currently is that sporting events can resume from June 1st, then a calendar which starts nearly 9 weeks after that seems plausible. A delay of 4-6 weeks from the Government still allows an August 1st start.
Old 12 May 2020, 08:12 (Ref:3975652)   #42
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
Well if the timeline currently is that sporting events can resume from June 1st, then a calendar which starts nearly 9 weeks after that seems plausible. A delay of 4-6 weeks from the Government still allows an August 1st start.
Agreed, but I think there are two massive question marks over that:

A) will conditions have improved enough by 1st June to permit sports behind closed doors?
B) will conditions have improved enough by August to permit events on the scale of a BTCC meeting?
Old 12 May 2020, 08:39 (Ref:3975653)   #43
midgetman
Veteran

I'm sure the document says "closed doors" TV sports events from July 4th

Old 12 May 2020, 08:52 (Ref:3975656)   #44
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I'm sure the document says "closed doors" TV sports events from July 4th

No, it says:

'Step Two
[...]
To aid planning, the Government's current aim is that the second step will be made no earlier than Monday 1 June, subject to these conditions being satisfied. Until that time the restrictions currently in place around the activities below will continue.
[...]
The current planning assumption for England is that the second step may include as many of the following measures as possible [...]
Permitting cultural and sporting events to take place behind closed-doors for broadcast, while avoiding the risk of large-scale social contact.'

And the points I have focused on in my responses are:
'The content and timing [...] will depend on the most up-to-date assessment of the risk [...] It is possible that the dates set out below will be delayed[...]
no earlier than Monday 1 June, subject to these conditions being satisfied.
[...] the second step may include [...]
Permitting cultural and sporting events to take place behind closed-doors '
Old 12 May 2020, 17:46 (Ref:3975759)   #45
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
As I'm reading it Uncle Alans timetable could happen; there's a heck of a lot of wait and see. Which, in fairness to the Government, nobody really knows.

Given one man has accidentally triggered an outbreak in South Korea, China has rising cases again - and ditto Germany - then it will peek again here as sure as eggs is eggs. My opinion, not scientific fact, obviously.

My gut says the Swedes will prove to have got it right - get on with life, some will die. Living things, including people, die every second of every day; Governments and Scientists think they can play God - newsflash, they can't with this virus - at least not yet.
Old 12 May 2020, 18:11 (Ref:3975763)   #46
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I believe it could happen too, I look forward to it. I am sure it will start in the summer.

Of course we’ve had a few outbreaks again, but these things can be controlled. It was brave of Sweden to keep going and it might just work, as it seems there is no easy answer to this virus. But everyone is trying their best
Old 12 May 2020, 19:12 (Ref:3975773)   #47
midgetman
Veteran

Quote:
No, it says:

'Step Two
[...]
To aid planning, the Government's current aim is that the second step will be made no earlier than Monday 1 June, subject to these conditions being satisfied. Until that time the restrictions currently in place around the activities below will continue.
[...]
The current planning assumption for England is that the second step may include as many of the following measures as possible [...]
Permitting cultural and sporting events to take place behind closed-doors for broadcast, while avoiding the risk of large-scale social contact.'

And the points I have focused on in my responses are:
'The content and timing [...] will depend on the most up-to-date assessment of the risk [...] It is possible that the dates set out below will be delayed[...]
no earlier than Monday 1 June, subject to these conditions being satisfied.
[...] the second step may include [...]
Permitting cultural and sporting events to take place behind closed-doors '
I'm sorry my bad. I've read so much the last few days I tripped over it in my mind.

I'm hoping that testing and private training will be included in that so that I can get back to work! France is opening their kart tracks already to owner/drivers and of course the Ring is open for Touristenfahrten so clearly motor sport is acceptable to governments.

Old 12 May 2020, 19:52 (Ref:3975778)   #48
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
test dates are available at a circuit near you for some fairly soon dates, so yes i’d say so!
Old 12 May 2020, 22:00 (Ref:3975796)   #49
midgetman
Veteran

June. Yes. It seems so far off. As long as it spreads from the full circuits to kart ones

Old 12 May 2020, 22:33 (Ref:3975805)   #50
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
just under three weeks. anyone elses brain still think it’s march?

what do you think we have to sacrifice in order to will the british public not to do anything stupid...