Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 10 Feb 2013, 01:21 (Ref:3202183)   #76
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought I read somewhere that Holden want to produce an SUV. Could the Commodore replacement be an SUV?
Old 10 Feb 2013, 09:07 (Ref:3202295)   #77
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed

not bad for a bommodore
Old 10 Feb 2013, 10:43 (Ref:3202334)   #78
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Theyve taken away the cruise control from the indicator stalk, moved the power window switches to the drivers door and gotten rid of that bloody hand brake lever.

All good points.

One would really need to see the thing in the flesh to properly determine if they've really stepped up in the interior quality stakes, though.
Old 11 Feb 2013, 00:58 (Ref:3202658)   #79
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Bevan-L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
If you want to talk about SHOCKING fuel economy.....i have just bought the missus a new car, a NZ New 2007 Subaru Impreza WRX STi Spec C. This was to replace her older 1997 STi Tye RA.

Anyway, no matter how you drive it, a 50L fill of 98 Octane fuel (with Octane booster) will return 300km's!!!! Now thats bad economy.

But, we didn't buy that car for that reason, hence why some of the posts here i agree with. If you're a petrol head (and one imagines you are if you post on here) you buy a vehicle because it makes you feel good.

I tried so hard to get her a economical swift of mazda 3, but she wouldn't have a bar of it. Thats the problem when the benchmark is already a factory Group N spec car

I think i have also found the secret to 'owning' the car of your dreams without it getting knocked about and generally decaying over time.....its simple.....you buy it for the missus, who cleans it every weekend and doesn't go over 4000 rpm in it. Then when its my turn for a fang, i've got a great, clean and wonderfully presented car.

I mean seriously, we have had the 97 model for about 8 years. In that time we/she have put just 30k on the clock. That car is actually in better nick than when we bought it. Hence why we are keeping both 'Scoobies - the new one only has 13k on the clock and i know that when they become old and rare, they may be worth something. The other trick is to always buy un-modified cars, which in the case of subarus is near impossible. But we found two of them, and already we have been offered 5k more than what we paid for the 97 model 8 years ago.

Sorry for going a bit off topic here, but i though this was valid
Subaru's factory tunes are horrendous for both fuel economy and drivability...
My 2011 STi is even worse.... reflashed the ECU and now the car actually drives really well and the fuel economy is night and day to the factory tune.
Old 11 Feb 2013, 09:32 (Ref:3202813)   #80
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevan-L View Post
Subaru's factory tunes are horrendous for both fuel economy and drivability...
My 2011 STi is even worse.... reflashed the ECU and now the car actually drives really well and the fuel economy is night and day to the factory tune.
When did the Giz ever drive a Subaru?
Old 12 Feb 2013, 01:15 (Ref:3203198)   #81
MattV
Racer

Australia
Sydney
MattV should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I mustn't be driving my MY11 WRX properly then.

Even at my absolute worst I get 500km from a tank of 98 octane.

I may have to try harder
Old 12 Feb 2013, 05:32 (Ref:3203245)   #82
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
When did the Giz ever drive a Subaru?
well he is supposedly doing the NZ rally championship this year so who knows, maybe he will driver a Subaru....although i am pretty sure he is going to be in a mitsi.

And MattV, maybe the MY11 car is just better tuned than the older MYO7 cars?

Interstingly enough we are still doing economy runs with the missus tootling off to work and back each day (a whopping 8kms per day), and still we are getting 300kms per tank.

I'm thinking that they are restrained by the airbox and exhaust to satisfy the 206kW power output, and this is effectively strangling the car. I dont know, but its a guess that i think may be on the right track.

I will ask for an ECU re-flash when its next tuned. But other than airbox and exhaust mods (which i dont want to make) we just have something that is ensuring that fossil fuels get consumed quicker than intended.

On topic though, doesn't that VF look great! and i'm a ford fan at heart
Old 14 Feb 2013, 02:46 (Ref:3204336)   #83
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
RedZedMikey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does it only get used 8km/day = 4km each way? The motor might be doing almost all of its running in "rich" start up - take it for a real drive, give the ECU time to learn, and see if mileage improves.
Old 14 Feb 2013, 04:53 (Ref:3204361)   #84
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZedMikey View Post
Does it only get used 8km/day = 4km each way? The motor might be doing almost all of its running in "rich" start up - take it for a real drive, give the ECU time to learn, and see if mileage improves.
Thanks for the advice RedZed, thats some good info, and will take that on baord. And yes you are right, 4kays there, parked up for 8 hours (under a surveillance camera of course!) and then 4 kays home.

I think you could be onto something here, so thank you
Old 14 Feb 2013, 11:00 (Ref:3204558)   #85
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
the new SS looks too much like a Mazda 6 from this angle, and has tailights similar to the camry.

Old 14 Feb 2013, 13:01 (Ref:3204611)   #86
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ford recently did a presentation showing off their take on what they would like their future global car line up to be.

While this may focus on the Ford Edge, if you look at the slide at the bottom there is no Ford Falcon in the lineup.

Worrying?
Old 14 Feb 2013, 13:08 (Ref:3204615)   #87
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!

Good looking thing
Old 14 Feb 2013, 22:02 (Ref:3204896)   #88
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Rosputnik View Post
Ford recently did a presentation showing off their take on what they would like their future global car line up to be.

While this may focus on the Ford Edge, if you look at the slide at the bottom there is no Ford Falcon in the lineup.

Worrying?
No, no worries; there is no mention of the Ford Australia designed Ford Figo either, which put has put Ford on the map in India. It's not the definitive lineup.

We know at best that the Falcon will live on in name only beyond the end of 2016. It's the same deal with the Commodore.
Old 14 Feb 2013, 22:04 (Ref:3204897)   #89
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post

Good looking thing
It screams a hotted up "Camry" to me...
Old 15 Feb 2013, 04:49 (Ref:3205093)   #90
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
That rear on the VF looks kinda like a Legacy in my eyes.

Legacy does however = yuk (slab sided fridge)

VF however = yum
Old 15 Feb 2013, 06:27 (Ref:3205122)   #91
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris - Melb View Post
It screams a hotted up "Camry" to me...
Fair enough Chris, taste is of course subjective. I'm not a Holden fan tbh but I think this thing's a good looking jigger - interior is a massive improvement too.

With V8 road cars facing an uncertain future, there's a part of me feeling like it's time to get one while they're still available.
Old 15 Feb 2013, 07:53 (Ref:3205153)   #92
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Fair enough Chris, taste is of course subjective. I'm not a Holden fan tbh but I think this thing's a good looking jigger - interior is a massive improvement too.

With V8 road cars facing an uncertain future, there's a part of me feeling like it's time to get one while they're still available.
+1
Old 15 Feb 2013, 08:50 (Ref:3205175)   #93
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:

True, but as Molly Meldrum would say, 'do yourself a favour' and wait for the new FPV
Old 15 Feb 2013, 09:01 (Ref:3205184)   #94
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris - Melb View Post
True, but as Molly Meldrum would say, 'do yourself a favour' and wait for the new FPV
Problem with both FPV and HSV is that (till now anyway) their products are over the top, funugly things with wings up the kazoo and all that.

The big problem I have with the Fords though is the high seat position and that gigantic steering wheel - if they can get the seat down on the floor where it belongs and at least have an option on a smaller wheel, that'd be a huge improvement.

Holden's big issue has been a pretty ordinary interior up till now which the VF addresses - it WILL be interesting to see what FPV comes up with under it's new structure.
Old 15 Feb 2013, 09:36 (Ref:3205206)   #95
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Problem with both FPV and HSV is that (till now anyway) their products are over the top, funugly things with wings up the kazoo and all that.

The big problem I have with the Fords though is the high seat position and that gigantic steering wheel - if they can get the seat down on the floor where it belongs and at least have an option on a smaller wheel, that'd be a huge improvement.

Holden's big issue has been a pretty ordinary interior up till now which the VF addresses - it WILL be interesting to see what FPV comes up with under it's new structure.
I quite like the ergonomics of the base Falcon and I seem to be in full control despite not sitting on the floor; never owned an FPV though.

FPV have produced discreet models without wings and things, but I'm not sure that they sold that well.
Old 16 Feb 2013, 03:54 (Ref:3205693)   #96
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Rosputnik View Post

Worrying?
It's there, you just need to look up its alternate name "Taurus"
Old 18 Feb 2013, 06:35 (Ref:3206571)   #97
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Good news, Ford Falcon GT back at Broadmeadows after 37 years

http://www.news.com.au/business/comp...#ixzz2LEJyYJGI
Old 8 Apr 2013, 07:24 (Ref:3230724)   #98
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
500 jobs to go at holden.

http://www.news.com.au/national-news...-1226615030091

Will the continually worsening situation eventually affect their involvement in supercars?
Old 8 Apr 2013, 10:57 (Ref:3230833)   #99
Downoz
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Downoz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
500 jobs to go at holden.

http://www.news.com.au/national-news...-1226615030091

Will the continually worsening situation eventually affect their involvement in supercars?

I think you are right there bluesport and it will be a matter of time until Ford and Holden are both out of Supercars. Cant see either Ford or Holden getting back to No.1 car sales again.
Old 8 Apr 2013, 11:02 (Ref:3230841)   #100
Jam3s
Racer

Jam3s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not a chance unfortunately, it's a steady slope towards the end, hopefully the sport can evolve into something which can survive without the local brands, for example under a GM banner and American Ford, and I think it can.