uncle tom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Incident Officers brief

What do you put in your morning brief
Old 20 Mar 2006, 13:20 (Ref:1554226)   #2
SouthportFC Fan
Racer

Wales
Southport
SouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I/O Briefing

Who I am, welcome to marshals from other circuits, then the usual stuff.

Characteristics of the part of the circuit we're responsible for, how I want an incident handling, e.g. taking a bottle, where cars are to be pushed to, electrics, looking after the driver, how/when we're snatching, etc.

Finally safety priority, marshals first then driver, then car.

Standard stuff really
Old 20 Mar 2006, 13:51 (Ref:1554255)   #3
PipSqueak111
Racer

England
Deepest, darkest Devon
PipSqueak111 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sometimes a good idea to ask how much experience everyone has as well.

Had a useless observer at Brands a couple of seasons ago whose briefing consisted of, "Right, you all look like you know what you're doing, I'll leave you to sort yourselves out, have a good day", and with that went back to his hut to get a coffee.
Don't know how he came to his assumption as nobody on the post had been marshalling for more than 2 seasons and two were still novices. Questions were met with "I'll let you decide" or "That's up to you". We were fuming, but as it was, when things did happen we coped, and given his general level of incompetence, we were quite glad he stayed out of it!

So I'd say don't assume people know what they're doing - better to teach grannie to suck eggs than see grannie mown down by a Formula Ford!

Phill
Old 20 Mar 2006, 14:03 (Ref:1554268)   #4
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
First thing is introductions. Get to know how much experience everybody has, whether they have done the post before, etc. - that determines how you organise the team & much detail to put into the briefing.

I start with safety, do a quick run through incident handling (bottle to every incident, that sort of stuff) then anything specific to the post & to the meeting (where cars go off, use of safety car, methanol, etc., as relevant).

I always ask if there are any questions, remind everybody that we're here to have fun, then ask the observer if (s)he has anything to add.

Have you got the 'Briefing Notes' card which used to be given out at Oulton training days? If not, let me know & I'll bring you a copy on Sunday - it's a good starting point, but I've made my own notes to make my briefings more personal.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 14:08 (Ref:1554272)   #5
Nighthawk
Veteran

United Kingdom
Swindon, Wiltshire
Nighthawk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
did you say anything to chief marshall at the end of the day.
and what about your incident officer ?
i observe at brands, dont know of any one who is like that.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 14:20 (Ref:1554283)   #6
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I hope the IO training at Oulton this year corrected the impression that one IO had - he thought that arms crossed above the head was the signal for a rescue unit.
Argued the toss with me and actually used this signal when we had a big incident!
Old 20 Mar 2006, 16:14 (Ref:1555004)   #7
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What does IO's briefings have to do with an incomprehensible bollywood drama?

Maybe the two sometimes have more in common than they should do!
Old 20 Mar 2006, 16:16 (Ref:1555006)   #8
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So what *does* it mean? 'Cause in some parts of North America that signal means "ambulance".

Used lower (across chest) it can mean "number sign" and will be followed either by a shrug for "what number was that car that spun off in a cloud of dust so I can tell Race Control" or a set of numbers for that car that spun off in a cloud of dust -- the first from the communicator to a flagger who may have had a better view, and the second from the flagger to the communicator. This is used in the east and midwest.

But on the west coast that same sign across chest means "halfway".

Could it just have been a "translation problem"? In which case the IO's briefing should have included the demonstration of signals he/she uses in the heat of battle which may or may not be standard to the area in which he/she is working. As a midwesterner who now works on the west coast I find I have to make an effort to "translate" my hand signals for the team at the start of each day's racing. It's very hard to remember to use the correct version when you're dealing with large or multiple incidents -- at that point 15 years of conditioning tends to supersede recent experience.

keke
Old 20 Mar 2006, 17:09 (Ref:1555036)   #9
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerkeke
So what *does* it mean? 'Cause in some parts of North America that signal means "ambulance".
It means 'ambulance' here - unless it's a bike meeting, in which case it means 'red flag'.

Quote:
Could it just have been a "translation problem"? In which case the IO's briefing should have included the demonstration of signals he/she uses in the heat of battle which may or may not be standard to the area in which he/she is working.
Signals are pretty well standardised across the UK. I believe you use a lot more in the US than we do - we just use 'ambulance' (rarely), 'rescue unit', 'doctor', 'straight tow' & 'suspended tow'.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 17:10 (Ref:1555037)   #10
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Arms crossed above the head is the sign used for an Ambulance.

1 Arm held vertically is the sign for a Doctor

Both arms extended horizontally is the sign used to reqest the Rescue Unit.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 17:12 (Ref:1555038)   #11
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always introduce myself, then look at how much experience everyone has. I then tailor what I say to the lowest level of experience. If I'm new to a circuit or post I ask if anyone has experience of where the bottles go, where the cars are likely to end up, etc. Then I pair up my crew, including asking if anyone has any preference who they partner up with (or don't want to go with). I also make sure everyone is aware of the rotation (which you can't assume is the same at every circuit).
Then I hand over to the observer for anything he/she wants to add.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 17:46 (Ref:1555064)   #12
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
CombeMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk
did you say anything to chief marshall at the end of the day.
and what about your incident officer ?
i observe at brands, dont know of any one who is like that.
Maybe there talking about you!!!!

I think one of the most important things is to clarify arm signals and stress that That you look after yourself first
Old 20 Mar 2006, 18:35 (Ref:1555106)   #13
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Other points to put in can include the weather (i.e. in hot weather keep the fluid intake up, sun block etc), point out that if any one feels ill to let I.O. / Observer know, confirm hand / whistle signals, ask if any one has done the post before, typical incidents at the post, where all the bottles are located, rotation (i.e. every two sessions etc). Point out any dangers such as uneven ground, narrow gaps behind the armco which could cause injuries.

I always like to have a separate chat with any trainees to gauge their experience. If its their first day I also talk through bottle checking with them.

As most people have said before, safety is paramount.

Lastly, finish with "any questions?"

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 20 Mar 2006, 18:53 (Ref:1555115)   #14
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l

Hand signals are GREAT - if used properly!

Most times, signal for a doctor - you're 99% certain to get a rescue unit (unless some doctors car is around). One signal instead of 3!

Also, the straight tow - two arms horizontal action, hands in fists, at WAIST level. Do it too high, and you'll get the Rescue Unit - tres embarrasing!
Old 20 Mar 2006, 19:04 (Ref:1555128)   #15
Rich D
Racer

Canada
Acton, Ontario
Rich D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l

May I ask -- in the UK -- what is the difference between Ambulance/Doctor/Recuse Unit... We (in Canada) use the "A" signal above the head for "Ambulance" -- which is always the quick response/rescue unit/paramedic.. One signal - one unit. Why do you make the distinction. We do have an "extrication" signal -- but you'd get the same truck & team attending.

Both arms horizontally is a tow required... hmmmmmm
Old 20 Mar 2006, 19:17 (Ref:1555139)   #16
stroller
Racer

stroller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich D
May I ask -- in the UK -- what is the difference between Ambulance/Doctor/Recuse Unit... We (in Canada) use the "A" signal above the head for "Ambulance" -- which is always the quick response/rescue unit/paramedic.. One signal - one unit. Why do you make the distinction. We do have an "extrication" signal -- but you'd get the same truck & team attending.

Both arms horizontally is a tow required... hmmmmmm
Generally in the UK Ambulances are used only for casualty transportation (ie after the dust has settled and the injured party needs to be ferried to medical centre etc)
Some circuits run a doctors car which is just that - contains doctor/paramedic and medical equipment only.

Rescue units should also carry the specified medical equipment plus doctor/paramedic plus extrication equipment (and crew). Thus can also do the job of the doctors car (although a dedicated doctors car can usually get to the scene quicker)

Depends on the Circuit and the way they operate

Just to complicated matters most Rescue Units are also registered as Ambulances so if all else fails they can also be used for transportation, but is hardly ever used for this purpose on Race Circuits but may well have to be used in the case of Rallies either to a RV with the Regular Ambulance Service or even direct to the appointed Hospital.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 19:44 (Ref:1555151)   #17
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
.........Just to add.......

At Oulton Park, I am nearly always happy with my Incident Officers and his/her ability to run the post whilst I take a snooze!
We are lucky that we have a very loyal few who make the job of the Observer so much easier.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 19:54 (Ref:1555168)   #18
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On behalf of all the Oulton Park Incident Officers, thank you Mark!

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 20 Mar 2006, 19:55 (Ref:1555170)   #19
James Elder
Rookie

United Kingdom
Northenden
James Elder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My briefings usually start with a welcome, introduce myself. If I spot any new faces, I check experience, but working mostly at Oulton Park for many years, I've pretty much worked out who's who. Then I go through the safety - look after yourself, then your mates, then the driver and the car. Then I mention the whistles (observer only, listen for and look out, etc). Then I move onto incidents, which is really dependant on experience and numbers, but generally I like to tell the team to make a start without me and use their knowledge (in other words I trust them to get on with it first). I go through the signals - tows, etc. Then what to do with the car (which I find is dependant on the post and what the driver has done). Then I finish with a quick reminder to check the track, also check the equipment doesn't deteriorate, that we will be manning whereever, rotating every two. I also like to let them know about any dodgy bits on the post - rabbit holes, bent armco, etc. I then check if the observer wants to add anything (if he hasn't already) and finally say to enjoy themselves.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 20:03 (Ref:1555175)   #20
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly 1
On behalf of all the Oulton Park Incident Officers, thank you Mark!
It's true Mike.
I tried IO-ing for a while - got two training sigs and a handful of sigs from Observers (Still have Grading Card) but didn't feel I was any good at it!
(Some say I ain't much cop at Observing either!)

I see an IO as a "Manager" if you like - of the crew. Not everyone on the bank posesses the skills neccessary to carry this duty off.

So long as we Observers have a fixed-line telephone system, it prevents us from getting too far away from the Observers hut, which sometimes may come across as looking like we can't be bothered to "Mingle" with the troops. This is where the IO also proves to be valuable as a communications link from the "Ivory Tower" to the folks at Ground Zero!
Old 21 Mar 2006, 01:16 (Ref:1555398)   #21
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been waiting for the immortal words said to me many years ago by an experienced I/O.........

All of the above was mentioned but then came the rules.....

Rule 1; Have Fun.
Rule 2: Don't Forget Rule 1.

really helped to break the ice for me as a novice marshal.

But the best line I've ever heard, which I still use at briefings, is.....

"The only stupid question is the one you never ask, we were all novices/trainees etc once"

Always try to make your "troops" feel part of 'The Team'. IMHO there is nothing worse, especially for someone new to a venue or even marshalling, than feeling as if you are the outsider with all this experience around you. The best I/O's and Observers I've worked with always seem to remember their early days and understand what other less experienced marshals are feeling.

Quote:
Not everyone on the bank posesses the skills neccessary to carry this duty off.
and just how does one find out...... by having a go.

So don't forget the flip-side...... just because someone has been made I/O doesn't always mean that they are comfortable with it or even experienced in that role. It maybe their first time, especially with the decreasing numbers these days. I've even been made I/O on the first corner of a circuit I'd never been to before and I don't have an I/O grade!! Guess who was the most nervous that day??
Old 21 Mar 2006, 14:20 (Ref:1555779)   #22
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Hill
I've been waiting for the immortal words said to me many years ago by an experienced I/O.........

All of the above was mentioned but then came the rules.....

Rule 1; Have Fun.
Rule 2: Don't Forget Rule 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand
remind everybody that we're here to have fun,
Close enough?