Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Jul 2018, 13:55 (Ref:3838890)   #1876
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
The return of Argentina has been postponed indefinitely. They can't afford a new racetrack.
Old 26 Jul 2018, 14:20 (Ref:3838892)   #1877
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29 View Post
Understand its contract runs out this year-Berlin as used for FE would be good
Bit Mickey Mouse for my tastes, I’m afraid.
Old 26 Jul 2018, 20:43 (Ref:3838950)   #1878
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think we are suggesting the FE layout is used. There is ample space at Tempelhof for something much more substantial, although I would fully expect Berliners to be very against a Grand Prix in the city - very much in the way the people of Hamburg protested against the Olympic bid. I'd personally like to see a return to the Hockenheim/Nurburgring alternate year arrangement, I quite miss the Nurburgring.

As for a Dutch GP at Assen? Why not? A classic venue (albeit on two wheels), and the Netherlands produces some of the more mental motorsport fans in the world, I think it would work very well. Could very well cater for punters from Denmark and Sweden too (even the UK too via Schiphol train station).

What's Kyalami looking like these days too?
Old 26 Jul 2018, 21:18 (Ref:3838955)   #1879
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Kyalami is owned by the boss of Porsche South Africa. Think they only have a Grade 2 licence, though; I don’t know how much work it would take to upgrade it to the standard that Formula 1 would require. But it’s crazy that a sport that fancies itself as having a global reach doesn’t have an event in Africa.
Old 26 Jul 2018, 21:51 (Ref:3838962)   #1880
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Avus or a version of it would be mega!

If there is the money to do a deal Kyalami is fit to host a race as it is.
Old 26 Jul 2018, 23:29 (Ref:3838978)   #1881
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Avus or a version of it would be mega!

If there is the money to do a deal Kyalami is fit to host a race as it is.
I've raced Avus on rfactor; no way would that ever happen in reality.
Old 26 Jul 2018, 23:36 (Ref:3838979)   #1882
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
For reference here is the latest FIA circuit grading with expiry dates as of last month....

https://www.fia.com/file/70006/download?token=uPOTejEP
Old 26 Jul 2018, 23:50 (Ref:3838983)   #1883
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Good to know Imola and Estoril can return anytime
Old 27 Jul 2018, 03:05 (Ref:3838997)   #1884
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It seems Formula One have its "World" Championship in risk.
It means F1 concept could be gone and we could go back
to Grand Prix cars racing, perhaps, the European Championship.

The guys of Formula EuroBOSS could be excellent teachers
of the future times. Tough times.
Old 27 Jul 2018, 03:07 (Ref:3838998)   #1885
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
The return of Argentina has been postponed indefinitely. They can't afford a new racetrack.
Thanks. There are some Rules here, that could not to allow some things.
Old 28 Jul 2018, 07:47 (Ref:3839240)   #1886
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Buriram would be good, for me...
Old 9 Aug 2018, 18:26 (Ref:3842586)   #1887
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sorry to be a bit of a doom and gloom merchant, but there might be a problem on the horizon for the Spanish GP at the Catalunya. It's contract ends next year after the race, but the circuit is losing money currently. It's latest results show a €7.4 million loss, and the new regional government have said they are not prepared to write a blank cheque for the privilege of hosting F1.

It does seem as though F1 has priced itself out of the traditional circuits.
Old 9 Aug 2018, 18:46 (Ref:3842592)   #1888
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You say doom and gloom, but if I'm honest, the circuit is bloody terrible for racing. Whilst it is a shame for any business to be losing money, it doesn't provide good racing. I hope it survives, just without F1.
Old 9 Aug 2018, 18:55 (Ref:3842597)   #1889
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Sorry to be a bit of a doom and gloom merchant, but there might be a problem on the horizon for the Spanish GP at the Catalunya. It's contract ends next year after the race, but the circuit is losing money currently. It's latest results show a €7.4 million loss, and the new regional government have said they are not prepared to write a blank cheque for the privilege of hosting F1.

It does seem as though F1 has priced itself out of the traditional circuits.
With the massive sanctioning fee Bernie was imposing on the various venues, is was bound to happen. However, Liberty said from the outset, that the traditional European circuits were at the core of F1, so it will be interesting to see how they will stick to that.
Old 9 Aug 2018, 19:02 (Ref:3842598)   #1890
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Is Barcelona bad for racing per se, or is it just that the teams test there so know the track backwards?
Old 9 Aug 2018, 22:19 (Ref:3842638)   #1891
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I don't know that it was ever stellar, but it was definitely better for racing prior to 2004. The change at La Caixa and the chicane near the end of the lap make it easier to just straight-line to the next apex, even if you made a mistake in the first part, and the guy behind doesn't have an open line to get by you. And the accordion effect means that all those slower corners in succession in the final sector spread the cars out more heading onto the main straight.
Old 9 Aug 2018, 22:47 (Ref:3842643)   #1892
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Is Barcelona bad for racing per se, or is it just that the teams test there so know the track backwards?
I think you've hit on something here BSF, lets run the circuit in the opposite direction next time, that'll spice things up!
Old 9 Aug 2018, 23:56 (Ref:3842654)   #1893
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Well, they did it at Indianapolis...
Old 9 Aug 2018, 23:58 (Ref:3842656)   #1894
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just out of curiosity, what are the logistical reasons/difficulties about running a track counter to the usual way around?

It seems like an easy way to add fresh life to an oft used circuit so surely I am missing the thing which prevents it.
Old 10 Aug 2018, 00:07 (Ref:3842659)   #1895
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Well, they did it at Indianapolis...
Part of it and they still do.
Old 10 Aug 2018, 00:09 (Ref:3842660)   #1896
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Just out of curiosity, what are the logistical reasons/difficulties about running a track counter to the usual way around?

It seems like an easy way to add fresh life to an oft used circuit so surely I am missing the thing which prevents it.
I was thinking the the pit entry and exit would be different.
Old 10 Aug 2018, 00:14 (Ref:3842662)   #1897
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
And most corners would be deemed 'unsafe'. I do remember Misano used to be run in the opposite direction.
Old 10 Aug 2018, 02:56 (Ref:3842686)   #1898
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post

One of many examples is the orientation/position of barriers around the track. If they are not layed out to support both directions it can be a huge safety issue. For example the gaps in barriers used for track access. Those will be designed so that a car at speed (such as being out of control) can’t exit those access points and will be redirected back onto the circuit. If the track is run in reverse, those become unsafe funnels to direct cars off the circuit and into spectator areas. Think of running your hand over scales on a fish or feathers on a bird. Smooth in one direction, rough the other.

Richard
Old 10 Aug 2018, 13:03 (Ref:3842775)   #1899
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
But in other news Hockenheim's big crowd has boosted it's chances of being back in 2019
Old 10 Aug 2018, 13:08 (Ref:3842779)   #1900
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
But in other news Hockenheim's big crowd has boosted it's chances of being back in 2019

Except, or so I believe, it is not due to hold the race until 2020. It's contract was for alternating years, which is why there was no German GP last year.