Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 11 Aug 2005, 13:21 (Ref:1379842)   #1
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Graduating from LMP2 to LMP1

I had a thought, and I wanted the opinions of the technically minded amongst you. Now, I seem to recall that at least two teams, Miracle Motorsports and Kruse Motorsport, have committed to moving up to LMP1 for 2006. Both currently run Courage C65s, both with Judd engines. My question is this: will they necessarily buy new cars for the graduation to the top class, or could they fit bigger engines and ballast to their existing cars? Which could be the more cost-effective and competitive option?
Old 11 Aug 2005, 13:40 (Ref:1379857)   #2
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan
I had a thought, and I wanted the opinions of the technically minded amongst you. Now, I seem to recall that at least two teams, Miracle Motorsports and Kruse Motorsport, have committed to moving up to LMP1 for 2006. Both currently run Courage C65s, both with Judd engines. My question is this: will they necessarily buy new cars for the graduation to the top class, or could they fit bigger engines and ballast to their existing cars? Which could be the more cost-effective and competitive option?
I'm pretty sure that no iteration of the C65 can run as an LMP1 because as far as I know the C65 has only been homologated as an LMP2 car. I'm not exactly sure if it would be at all possible to move the C65 up to LMP1 unless the car was rehomologated in LMP1 configuration.
Old 11 Aug 2005, 13:47 (Ref:1379865)   #3
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
And the rehomologation would have to be done by Courage themselves, I assume?
Old 11 Aug 2005, 13:50 (Ref:1379871)   #4
panoz.lmp1
Veteran

Germany
Germany
panoz.lmp1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting question. The Courage C60 and the C65 have the same chassis so maybe it´s possible ... but: why should they do that. Kruse Motorsport don´t move to LMP1
Old 11 Aug 2005, 13:51 (Ref:1379875)   #5
tblincoe
Veteran

Quote:
And the rehomologation would have to be done by Courage themselves, I assume?
That's a good question for which I don't have the answer. However, I don't see why a privateer such as Miracle Motorsports couldn't submit the car for homologation as an LMP1 if they were willing to do so (the car would have to be crash-tested).
Old 11 Aug 2005, 13:52 (Ref:1379876)   #6
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Could be expensive, I guess; that was Robinson Racing's problem with their modified Riley and Scott Mk. IIIC, as I recall. Still, Pescarolo managed it.
Old 11 Aug 2005, 13:56 (Ref:1379882)   #7
tblincoe
Veteran

Quote:
Could be expensive, I guess; that was Robinson Racing's problem with their modified Riley and Scott Mk. IIIC, as I recall. Still, Pescarolo managed it.
That's exactly right, so I really think it comes down to money... and having said that I'm sure the privateers would leave it up to the manufacturer. That having been said I think that Courage wouldn't want to resubmit the C65 as they can gain more of a profit making current C65 owners purchase the next generation Courage LMP1 if they desire to move up.
Old 11 Aug 2005, 15:00 (Ref:1379938)   #8
viperada
Rookie

United States
Roanoke, Virginia
viperada should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i thought Courage was building a brand new car for LMP1 called the Courage C70 and Miracle Motorsports was going to buy 2 and run them in the ALMS in 2006.
Old 11 Aug 2005, 16:12 (Ref:1379984)   #9
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Nope ..... the Pescarolo was never "crash tested" !!! The differance to a C60 is only aero . The C60 and C65 are the same chassis so no crash testing is nessessary .

Robinson revised the whole nose section and didnt or coundnt afford to crash test their car .
Old 11 Aug 2005, 16:42 (Ref:1379993)   #10
panoz.lmp1
Veteran

Germany
Germany
panoz.lmp1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That´s the reason why the C65 is based on the C60 because Courage hasn´t the money for a new crash test.

The chassis #2 was first a Courage C60, than a Courage C65 and now a Courage C60H
Old 11 Aug 2005, 18:00 (Ref:1380040)   #11
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The C70 may not be called the C70 - the new P2 is named C75. Source - Racecar Engineering/me
Old 11 Aug 2005, 18:21 (Ref:1380055)   #12
tblincoe
Veteran

That would be suprising if Courage is beginning to even think about a new LMP2 when they don't have an LMP1 available yet (which I would imagine is their #1 priority).
Old 11 Aug 2005, 19:44 (Ref:1380114)   #13
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by viperada
i thought Courage was building a brand new car for LMP1 called the Courage C70 and Miracle Motorsports was going to buy 2 and run them in the ALMS in 2006.

Last I heard from a source very close to the team, running a P1 was not a certainty. Certainly the Courage P1 wasn't their only option either.
Old 11 Aug 2005, 20:31 (Ref:1380160)   #14
tblincoe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund
Last I heard from a source very close to the team, running a P1 was not a certainty. Certainly the Courage P1 wasn't their only option either.
Correct, LMP1 is anything but a done deal for Miracle in 2006...