Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 8 May 2006, 02:47 (Ref:1602946)   #51
Tracie
Rookie

Tracie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if the wire seal thingy works why stop it - nice and simple (bit like me really)

however if it does not and there are ways around it then it needs to change - however what is more important is to get an agreement with TO's that they are inspecting a component for compliance BEFORE sealing it rather than the current practise to simply seal the component to prove that this is what was used in this particular race - just a change in mind set needed

and my donation to Foggy is the same as Sov12 for the same reasons
Old 8 May 2006, 03:56 (Ref:1602968)   #52
100 MPH
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland
100 MPH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Thanks everyone - as per usual my fellow posters, reports of Paul's 'wrecked' car are wildly exaggerated. Keep your money keener, nice thought all the same.
Old 8 May 2006, 04:37 (Ref:1602986)   #53
Mr Keener
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
The House of Keen
Mr Keener should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Keep your money keener, nice thought all the same.

Hey dont bring me into this one.$8.53 is equivilant of rebates on 171 stubbies.I couldn't of raised that much in such a hurry.
Old 8 May 2006, 04:40 (Ref:1602989)   #54
MRKEENASMUSTARD
Rookie

MRKEENASMUSTARD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
youre most welcome 100mph , pleasure & only too happy to assist. (unfortunantly my current warning status prohibits me offering more assitance)
Old 8 May 2006, 04:47 (Ref:1602991)   #55
MRKEENASMUSTARD
Rookie

MRKEENASMUSTARD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey Keener where ya been ?
Old 8 May 2006, 05:10 (Ref:1602999)   #56
Mr Keener
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
The House of Keen
Hanging out with all my friends in Hamilton celebrating the big victory.
Old 8 May 2006, 05:13 (Ref:1603000)   #57
100 MPH
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland
100 MPH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Keener
Hey dont bring me into this one.$8.53 is equivilant of rebates on 171 stubbies.I couldn't of raised that much in such a hurry.
Whoops, too little time, too many keens. What are we supposed to think, especially when you post a couple of minutes apart?
Old 8 May 2006, 05:23 (Ref:1603005)   #58
Mr Keener
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
The House of Keen
I know it's early days but anyone want to have a crack at next seasons line up.PM will definitely be there I just dont know who with.Pretty sure Boothy will be back ( and sure he will correct me if I am wrong ).Spurdle is in. McKenzie is back with a new car. Any other CONFIRMED starters??
Old 8 May 2006, 05:25 (Ref:1603007)   #59
Mr Keener
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
The House of Keen
Code:
Quote:
too many keens
You could never have too many Keens
Old 8 May 2006, 06:40 (Ref:1603026)   #60
r8hsv
Rookie

New Zealand
mighty waikato
r8hsv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i hear that standing starts are on the cards next year and that the compression ratios and cam specs on the fords are going to bought back somewhat
Old 8 May 2006, 06:44 (Ref:1603030)   #61
Muzzy
Rookie

Antarctica
Muzzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100 MPH
From what I hear PM and his new team *thoroughly* deserve each other. Go hard Paul!
Who has PM joined up with? With regards Booth I suspect he and Wayne Anderson will be back with a vengeance, having taken a bit of a beating this season. Then again, maybe he will be in Aussie...?

I don't believe we are going to see too many of the usual suspects drop out, but some of the mid-pack may be in for some changes. Julia will be back, and better than ever!
Old 8 May 2006, 06:44 (Ref:1603031)   #62
Mr Keener
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
The House of Keen
Quote:
From what I hear PM and his new team *thoroughly* deserve each other. Go hard Paul!
Today 18:25
Don't understand.Definitely no decision on next season yet.
Old 8 May 2006, 06:45 (Ref:1603033)   #63
Muzzy
Rookie

Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by r8hsv
i hear that standing starts are on the cards next year and that the compression ratios and cam specs on the fords are going to bought back somewhat
If so will that mean changes to specs for clutches etc?
Old 8 May 2006, 07:11 (Ref:1603046)   #64
Mr Keener
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
The House of Keen
Yeah interesting cause new cars for everyone next year with all new spec so you would not think there would be too many changes that cost $ this upcoming season. I would let the Chryslers in for season 08 just for something completely different to Australia and to add more colour and spice. Teching them, parity (there's that word again)and aero would be a major challenge however if support was forthcoming from the manufacturer it might sharpen up the other two and give us possibly a more global TV appeal.I would bring in crate motors to with one supplier for each brand.Bit like current arrangements with Dunlop.Role up go get your motor and tyres and then race.Costs down and tech boys and girls only have to hang out in three places to make sure everything is AOK.
Old 8 May 2006, 08:22 (Ref:1603098)   #65
Muzzy
Rookie

Antarctica
Quote:
Yeah interesting cause new cars for everyone next year with all new spec so you would not think there would be too many changes that cost $ this upcoming season. I would let the Chryslers in for season 08 just for something completely different to Australia and to add more colour and spice. Teching them, parity (there's that word again)and aero would be a major challenge however if support was forthcoming from the manufacturer it might sharpen up the other two and give us possibly a more global TV appeal.I would bring in crate motors to with one supplier for each brand.Bit like current arrangements with Dunlop.Role up go get your motor and tyres and then race.Costs down and tech boys and girls only have to hang out in three places to make sure everything is AOK.
I understand the desire for crate engines, but do believe that it is a team sport and the techs have as much a role to play. Crate engines also don't always fix parity issues. I would however really like to see something along the lines of a single after-market cylinder head, supply and prep of which to be tendered out to a single supplier, with all heads being allocated by random. Ditto cranks, but let the boys play with their carbs! Or better yet, lets at least move into the 20th century and go fuel injection. Yeah, yeah, everyone moans that it will increase the cost, I say garbage. If every tin-pot little boy racer out there knows how to reprogramme his injection system then surely professional race teams can manage the same. Go for controlled pumps, injectors and ECU's, but free reign on the programming and ignition setup - puts the emphasis on knowledge rather than $.

And YES wouldn't it be great to see Chrysler in there. Would position NZV8's as a progressive class distinct from Supercars, rather than some poor wannabe copycat.
Old 8 May 2006, 14:47 (Ref:1603409)   #66
V8's rule
Racer

V8's rule should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Mr Keener, dont bank on 2008 fo all new cars....Fact is the class as a whole can not afford a wholesale change .....Earliest 2009..and then it will depend on what the Aussies finally decide about a common platform for next year.
Mean while expect a raft of changes for next season like a common fabricated rear end complete with 9" Ford end, to suite standing starts.
Stability is paramount right now...However I am looking forward to the standing Starts in particular.....Long overdue least in my opinion, but to be fair up till now the rear ends just were not suitable...Still it remains to be seen, how the rest of the driveline will hold up...The gearbox casing could be an issue but the current clutch should be Ok, lets hope so.
Old 8 May 2006, 20:19 (Ref:1603676)   #67
go the fords
Rookie

New Zealand
...Auckland
go the fords should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A few changes at a time would be the way to go . Any wholesale changes can spell disaster for a teams budget and they are already stretched.
Who is PMs new team ??? we cant wait untill November to hear all the goss...............
Old 8 May 2006, 20:30 (Ref:1603691)   #68
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So let's try to sum up for those trying to tell what's gone on through all the smokescreen.

Kayne Scott has won the championship having won his appeal. He was originally docked points for testing a team mate's car which is forbidden under the rules, but it was overturned as he had permission from the event director. I find myself wondering why you would ask permission to break the rules (and you can't claim you didn't know else you wouldn't have asked), but the fact that you asked means you weren't trying to be underhand. Bizarre, but there's no suggestion of an intention to cheat and no sign of any advantage gained, so right decision in the end? I think so.

Angus Fogg had 'won' by dint of Kanye's penalty, which was drawn to the officials' attention by text. Again, he's been quite open about that, and if a rival is breaking the rules then it's quite reasonable to question it. Hindsight says that visiting the stewards would have been more advisable. My feeling is that the method of raising the matter doesn't look right, but I'm not party to the reason for that which may be quite innocent, and he had a right to expect rules to be obeyed and enforced. To castigate him (as many have done) for raising a legitimate matter in a troubled series is unfair. No blame there, but perhaps a little clumsy in the execution.

The rest, or 'headgate'. Who knows what's really gone on? Since the illegal parts seem to cover a variety of teams, the logical cause is that someone puching the rules to the limit pushed too far and made an error resulting in engines outside the rules. Whether these created an advantage is unclear, and the impression is that sloppy scrutineering practice allowed this to go on too long and left doubt as to who had used what and where. Unfortunate as it allows throws suspicion on all sorts of people who may not deserve it.

The question is, why have so many problems occurred at once and damaged the series so much? Looking in from outside, it looks as if it's being run as a domestic series with a fairly light touch, but the competitors are seeing it as something more serious. It's an ideal stepping stone for drivers with an eye on the bigger Australian series, and doing well in NZ could get you noticed over there. Since it's the biggest thing in the area, it's a target worth pursuing. You're going to do everything you legally can to win, and presumably your sponsors will be keen for the progression too. Pushing the envelope in a series which is scrutineered as a club series is inevitably going to lead to problems, and the end result is a championship that hasn't served anyone very well. It can only be hoped that lessons can be learned and a better season can be had next year.
Old 8 May 2006, 21:56 (Ref:1603767)   #69
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
So let's try to sum up for those trying to tell what's gone on through all the smokescreen.

Woolley, you make some accurate observations. Perhaps the summing up points are that this is really the second season of true profesional racing in NZ with both the Toyota Series and the NZV8's operating to a pretty high and demanding level. As we are gaining maturity in the new professional arena there will all ways be lessons to be learnt. As an example, rugby has been another sport to undertake this process in NZ and many things had to be learnt there too.

Like many things we do in life (especially sport) something new goes in a three year beginners cycle.
Year one we are learning but we do gain some unexpected good results that naybe lure us into thinking that we know it all and that it is easy.
Year two, is a year of mixtures, some very good things, some very poor things but that is where the lessons come from.
Year three, if you are mature then you recognise both your strengths and your failings and concentrate on elimination of the failing and from then on all the good things that you wish for continue to happen.

NZV8's have been with us for a number of seasons but I stress that this is really only the second year of true and full professional activity from all parties involved. There are now a number that need to look at and address their failings for I am sure that on reflection there will be a number of competitors, team owners/managers, mechanics, administrators and event officials who will shudder at the way that things have turned out because of the clumsy use of words and/or actions that set off an unintentional chain reaction. it is just a lack of maturity in the new enviroment, we are all still learning.
Old 8 May 2006, 22:13 (Ref:1603782)   #70
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Fair points there. Add in international TV coverage - we're had every round of both series over here on about a week's delay. If MSNZ get hold of it properly they've got a very good series. Inevitably it's going to be a feeder to the Aussies, but hey, what's wrong with being the GP2 of Touring Cars?
Old 8 May 2006, 22:27 (Ref:1603789)   #71
Sausage
Rookie

New Zealand
Ekatahuna
Sausage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
Fair points there. Add in international TV coverage - we're had every round of both series over here on about a week's delay. If MSNZ get hold of it properly they've got a very good series. Inevitably it's going to be a feeder to the Aussies, but hey, what's wrong with being the GP2 of Touring Cars?
Interesting to hear that you get to see the NZV8's 'on about a week's delay'.
That's better than TV ONE does for us here.
Old 9 May 2006, 00:10 (Ref:1603836)   #72
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
We're lucky enough to have a dedicated motoring/motorsport cable channel which gives us pretty good coverage. The delay's fairly random, but it's usually 7-10 days after the event for the V8s and anytime for the Toyotas - we just had the NZGP last week.

Anyway, rereading things and after a clarification, I discover that Angus Fogg's manager drew the testing indiscretion to the officials at the time, and Angus told his friends by text which is a little different in nature to how I'd taken it. I'm happy to post a correction, and the same goes for any other factual inaccuracies that I may have made. I'm working from a long way away here, so the subtleties escape me.
Old 9 May 2006, 00:38 (Ref:1603850)   #73
go the fords
Rookie

New Zealand
...Auckland
go the fords should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
your knowledge is not too far off the mark Woolley for someone accross the other side of the world. Great to hear the racing is covered.......do you have any indercation of how many people watch the racing or support it or any figures on the chanels followers in numbers ???
Old 9 May 2006, 00:57 (Ref:1603856)   #74
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sausage
Interesting to hear that you get to see the NZV8's 'on about a week's delay'.
That's better than TV ONE does for us here.

i was thinking the same thing lol
Old 9 May 2006, 01:53 (Ref:1603870)   #75
Sausage
Rookie

New Zealand
Ekatahuna
Sausage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just another MSNZ secret!
Closed Thread