Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 28 Jul 2010, 14:27 (Ref:2734630)   #476
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
James, thanks for the clarification. I doubt that I'll be at Croft but who knows; we'll catch up sometime I'm sure!
Old 28 Jul 2010, 14:44 (Ref:2734639)   #477
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Race 4 - HGCPA Pre 66 GP cars.

A 20 minute race with 38 starters and 30 finishers. Enrico Spaggiari (10 - Cooper T53), a winner here last year, held the lead briefly before succumbing to the Lotus 18 (18) of John Chisholm (see pic 2). Whilst Chisholm went onto win by 8.3 seconds, Enrico gradually dropped back to finish 9th; what was the problem Enrico? Nick Wigley and John Clark battled it out for 2nd in their T51s, with the former holding on by a tenth! Mark Piercy retired the Lola Mk4 (2) on the penultimate lap after a very competitive drive at the sharp end. Peter Horsman was 11th in his Lotus 18/21 (22), and note that Iain Rowley drove the dramatic looking Ferrari 156 Sharknose replica, painted in the Belgian racing colours that graced Olivier Gendebien's original at his home GP in 1961 when he finished 4th behind the three red works examples:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5284wb.jpg   IMG_5324wb.jpg   IMG_5360wb.jpg  

IMG_5367wb.jpg   IMG_5376wb.jpg   IMG_5428wb.jpg  

Old 28 Jul 2010, 14:47 (Ref:2734640)   #478
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not sure where it came from, but marshals were issued with a bottle of perry at sign-on on Sunday which we were told had been donated. Thank you, whoever it was.

And, of course, the pour boire which the HSCC provided each morning.

All much appreciated.

Regards

Jim

Last edited by JimW; 28 Jul 2010 at 14:48. Reason: correction
Old 28 Jul 2010, 14:51 (Ref:2734645)   #479
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 4 - HGCPA Pre 66 GP cars. (2)

More:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5433wb.jpg   IMG_5452wb.jpg   IMG_5462wb.jpg  

IMG_5468wb.jpg   IMG_5489wb.jpg   IMG_5496wb.jpg  

Old 28 Jul 2010, 15:01 (Ref:2734649)   #480
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
I wonder if there is any mileage in competitors getting together to convince organisers (the circuit?) that there will not be a peasants' revolt ( ) if the organisers deploy someone senior for a few meetings to pursue this problem and deal firmly with transgressors. A bit of high profile firmness and some condign punishment would work wonders.

Better the organisers than the circuits as they have much more immediate and savage sanctions at hand. No need to go to court to exclude a competitor for the actions of someone in/with their team!

I know that sounds unfriendly but having had to dodge bikes twice on Sunday at Silverstone, I'm made aware that there does seem to be an increasing problem. Better the sport sorts it out rather than the police.

Regards

Jim
How about motorised pit bikes are banned altogether and people go back to walking around.
Old 28 Jul 2010, 15:11 (Ref:2734654)   #481
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not against quads etc., just seeking sensible and considerate use.

(I would not want to drag tyres, tools batteries, etc. all over the place if I had a quad available.)

Jim
Old 28 Jul 2010, 15:56 (Ref:2734672)   #482
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
I wonder if there is any mileage in competitors getting together to convince organisers (the circuit?) that there will not be a peasants' revolt ( ) if the organisers deploy someone senior for a few meetings to pursue this problem and deal firmly with transgressors. A bit of high profile firmness and some condign punishment would work wonders.

Better the organisers than the circuits as they have much more immediate and savage sanctions at hand. No need to go to court to exclude a competitor for the actions of someone in/with their team!

I know that sounds unfriendly but having had to dodge bikes twice on Sunday at Silverstone, I'm made aware that there does seem to be an increasing problem. Better the sport sorts it out rather than the police.

Regards

Jim
Why not do a 'jobs for the boys' ARDS type scheme, where you have to pass a test and gain a licence in order to drive a pit bike/quad. It would mean increased costs for those who insist they need them and it would give the organisers some means of control over whoever uses them. The ARDS outfit could sort it out.
Old 28 Jul 2010, 16:27 (Ref:2734677)   #483
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
How about motorised pit bikes are banned altogether and people go back to walking around.
The bikes and trikes weren't confined to the paddocks areas either.

My car club had a display on the grass banking inside Copse, and the number of times various mechanical devices that were ridden through the walking spectator areas and pathways, sometimes with no regard to general safety, just to watch the first 2-3 laps and then roar back to the paddock was quite amazing!
Old 28 Jul 2010, 18:51 (Ref:2734760)   #484
FastDB2s
Veteran

England
Solihull, West Mids
FastDB2s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
How about a good old fashioned bicycle, which is what we use most of the time - at Le Mans we had a Scooter for the 1st time but the distances covered are immense there & no joy even on a bike, we must have covered 50 miles on the Scoot.
Obviously you cant carry tools around but a hand pulled 4 wheel trolley seems to be the norm anyway now
Old 28 Jul 2010, 19:40 (Ref:2734781)   #485
eigger
Rookie

eigger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grideigger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
more pics
Attached Thumbnails
R7255204.jpg   R7255180.jpg   R7234492.jpg  

R7234287.jpg   R7234226.jpg   R7234264.jpg  

Old 28 Jul 2010, 19:50 (Ref:2734782)   #486
eigger
Rookie

eigger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grideigger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and more
Attached Thumbnails
p3 (2).jpg   30.jpg   dbr1.jpg  

gta (3).jpg   iii.jpg   newey.jpg  

Old 29 Jul 2010, 08:32 (Ref:2734987)   #487
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Alex & I were embarrassed by the havoc we were causing on our bikes so we stopped cycling at busy times, how can people cause that much disruption on quads/scoots and not hang their heads in shame?
Old 29 Jul 2010, 08:50 (Ref:2734996)   #488
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 5 - Masters 'Gentleman' Drivers Pre 66GT

I'm not even going to start giving an account of this race, since I lost track pretty early on. All I can say is that following Carlos Monteverde's nasty accident in his E-type (87) which brought an end to the race, I understand that he had to be cut out of the car, and heavily concussed was taken to hospital, but thankfully later released. This all took a very long time and so we have results for two separate races listed. I did not see the second part which, as a result of the delay, started after lunch, since I was wandering through the paddock at the the time! All I can say is that for the first part, I was still at Abbey and had intended for the latter half of the race to be around Bridge/Luffield, so I'm sorry that all the pics were taken from the same place. The expected E-type lightweight/Cobra confrontation didn't really materialise, because within a few laps of this first part, 3 E-types emerged in the first 3 places. Very powerful and fast aren't they? It seems that the Cobras gained revenge in the second part of the race. Check the Silverstone Classic website for the results of both parts. 3 pictorial posts, mainly of the heavier metal, but have managed pics of 10-Tenther's Mike Bell's Gilbern and Rod Begbie's TVR, as well as the Roger Wills Bizza, and Julian Bronson's Corvette:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5660wb.jpg   IMG_5667wb.jpg   IMG_5676wb.jpg  

IMG_5681wb.jpg   IMG_5687wb.jpg   IMG_5700wb.jpg  

Last edited by John Turner; 29 Jul 2010 at 09:44.
Old 29 Jul 2010, 08:57 (Ref:2734998)   #489
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 5 - Masters 'Gentleman' Drivers Pre 66GT (2)

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5704wb.jpg   IMG_5734wb.jpg   IMG_5765wb.jpg  

IMG_5830wb.jpg   IMG_5822wb.jpg   IMG_5849wb.jpg  

Old 29 Jul 2010, 09:05 (Ref:2735001)   #490
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 5 - Masters 'Gentleman' Drivers Pre 66GT (3)

Last batch:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5856wb.jpg   IMG_5871wb.jpg   IMG_5924wb.jpg  

IMG_5945wb.jpg   IMG_5993wb.jpg   IMG_6019wb.jpg  

Old 29 Jul 2010, 09:57 (Ref:2735016)   #491
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 6 - GP Masters F1 1966-85

A 20 minute race for this good 28 car field. I was at Copse for this, useless for photography unless you are signed on as a photographer, so these shots are a mix, some taken through the fence and the others snatched between the Catch fencing overlap! The race was won by Steve Hartley (32 - Arrows A4) after Bill Coombs (33 - Tyrrell 09) excellent drive faded slightly through mechanical woes. Rob Austin (19 - Surtees TS19) was 2nd, whilst Coombes had to be content with 3rd. Up from 22nd on the grid was the well driven Tyrrell 011 of John Wilson, who finished 4th and gave him a second row grid position for the second (Sunday) race:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6048wb.jpg   IMG_6099wb.jpg   IMG_6111wb.jpg  

IMG_6126wb.jpg   IMG_6129wb.jpg   IMG_6136wb.jpg  

Old 29 Jul 2010, 10:04 (Ref:2735019)   #492
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 6 - GP Masters F1 1966-85 (2)

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6141wb.jpg   IMG_6155wb.jpg   IMG_6165wb.jpg  

IMG_6180wb.jpg   IMG_6190wb.jpg   IMG_6194wb.jpg  

Old 29 Jul 2010, 10:19 (Ref:2735025)   #493
LAK
Racer

LAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks for all the photos and posts re the Classic. I can't add too much to the comments already made other than to say:

- it was a bit more low key than the Classics we did with the Falcon a couple of years ago and certainly not up there with the Coys festival of old. AGree with the comments re lack of "polish"

- we missed the Scarf & Goggles and the drivers hospitality area. Agree that food prices were atronomical and that as a "family" weekend it certainly wasn't cheap

- we had no issues with scooter/quads. We left our scooter at home on purpose as we knew it would be busy and like others stopped riding our bikes when the crowds got too big. A big pain not having bridge anymore as it was a bit of a trek to the motorhome/tools and to watch in the grandstands

- we did enjoy the racing we saw - Big engined touring cars being a favourite along with the pre-61 grand prix cars

It must be incredibly difficult to arrange such a massive event and I do take my hat off to the organisers. It is easy to complain but on the whole I thought it was a good event (from the competitor side). As with many things a few tweaks here and there and I'm sure it will be back up there as a must do event.

As for the racing, we had a bit of a disappointing race in the Aurelia as the car suffered massiv fuel starvation about 3 laps into the race. We struggled on with a very slow car on the straights and was just trying to survive to the end which we did. Very happy that our Aurelia team mate Chris won the drum braked trophy as he's a top chap and really loves his racing.

Great to see those 10/10ths people we saw - sorry we didn't get to see others.
Old 29 Jul 2010, 10:52 (Ref:2735046)   #494
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Now know who LAK is!

That car was in our pit.
Old 29 Jul 2010, 13:27 (Ref:2735164)   #495
LAK
Racer

LAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good lord John - I didn't realise. So sorry not speak with you - not sure when our paths will cross again but I shall make an effort to introduce myself.
Old 29 Jul 2010, 13:58 (Ref:2735186)   #496
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Having also met John Ruston for the first time at the Classic, I shall make an effort.......to avoid him!

Only joking John - it was good to put a face to the name - it makes future verbal sparring so much more enjoyable.
Old 29 Jul 2010, 14:39 (Ref:2735213)   #497
Robert Farrell
Racer

Robert Farrell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some pics. Ed Gaisters little Ford. The Fugglemobile. Assembly of Mini ? race and transporter abandoned in paddock
Attached Thumbnails
Silverstone Classic2010 001.jpg   Silverstone Classic2010 002.jpg   Silverstone Classic2010 004.jpg  

Silverstone Classic2010 007.jpg  
Old 29 Jul 2010, 15:40 (Ref:2735239)   #498
jminsh
Veteran

England
Not far from Oulton Park
jminsh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
The expected E-type lightweight/Cobra confrontation didn't really materialise, because within a few laps of this first part, 3 E-types emerged in the first 3 places. Very powerful and fast aren't they?
The one that was leading has approx 60bhp more than the one i was driving in 2nd at that point

Oh yeah and an E actualy handles !
Old 29 Jul 2010, 15:46 (Ref:2735241)   #499
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A few random piccies..............

Paul Radisich in Roger Will's McLaren, Sharknose and Cobra artwork.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01800.jpg   DSC01826.jpg   DSC01823.jpg  

CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 29 Jul 2010, 15:48 (Ref:2735242)   #500
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Jason-60bhp more than yours,I would ask for my money back!