Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 7 Aug 2010, 13:47 (Ref:2740942)   #651
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Pre 63-Assume I must get in the swing of things and announce that Speedster was fastest of all 356's and wonderfully driven by two superb drivers.Harry,the Harrington kept up the good work and strode manfully to a smashing position apart from taking a hit from an over rated ex pro (prat) driver in an E Type who should hang up his helmet.
Don't believe a word of this just continuing the theme
Woodcote.Now in my opinion the Alta was the star of show being 20 years older than anything else and finishing iin 13th place and at one time being third.Speedster again quickest 356.
Beauty is in eye of beholder.
Slowly waking up.
Now ready for Disney,my mindset is perfect after wring this stuff.Holywood Studio today!
Old 7 Aug 2010, 13:57 (Ref:2740947)   #652
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
LYNX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks John - colourful as usual! But that Alta was a beaut!
Old 7 Aug 2010, 14:45 (Ref:2740963)   #653
percy
Racer

percy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK - here is a link to my Picasa album of Silverstone Classic pics. There are 300+ photos here, all unprocessed. Let me know if any of them are any use to anyone. They're all grouped in race order, although I didn't see all of the races.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/cdicke...toneClassic10#

Cheers
Old 7 Aug 2010, 15:06 (Ref:2740965)   #654
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Well done Percy who ever you are.
Do you have a real name or are you Percy?
Old 7 Aug 2010, 15:51 (Ref:2740981)   #655
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Now ready for Disney,my mindset is perfect after wring this stuff.Holywood Studio today!
I thought Disneyland was current Formula 1, as in "people who go to Disneyland and think it's real life"?

....and I guess JT, that you can count yourself as a 'proper' journalist since your race reports provoke reactions? .
I, for one, value them as one who rarely sees a race as a race but rather as a series of incidents.
Old 7 Aug 2010, 15:56 (Ref:2740983)   #656
percy
Racer

percy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Well done Percy who ever you are.
Do you have a real name or are you Percy?
Thanks - I forgot to sign off.
Outside of cyberspace, my name is Chris.
Old 7 Aug 2010, 17:58 (Ref:2741024)   #657
CUT 7
Rookie

CUT 7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
erm,
we know how much of a geek i am when it comes to comparative lap times , and i was going to do some nifty cross refrencing to further the theory that todays supercars are not as quick as our beloved historic track cars including the less glamourous ones previously mentioned.
but ive got a problem.
Although todays supercars ARE slower ,
according to the times the Fiat Abarth 500's were 3 seconds quicker,
than any Cobra , GTO, 'E' type, anything front engined basicaly and the Lamborghini road car that has the quickest road legal time around this track.
Were they running on nitro or have i missed something here?Like a different track?
confused
.J
Old 7 Aug 2010, 18:17 (Ref:2741033)   #658
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Tongue was firmly in cheek John. I always appreciate your reports and photos.

Nice to see I rattled JR's cage. Longest post from him in a long time and quite coherent without the usual staccato style!
Old 7 Aug 2010, 18:55 (Ref:2741044)   #659
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUT 7 View Post
erm,
according to the times the Fiat Abarth 500's were 3 seconds quicker,
than any Cobra , GTO, 'E' type, anything front engined basicaly and the Lamborghini road car that has the quickest road legal time around this track.
How about tyres for a starter- presume they run slicks? We know from the problems some had in thursday test sessions that the Fiats carry a heck of a lot of corner speed.......
Old 7 Aug 2010, 18:56 (Ref:2741045)   #660
CUT 7
Rookie

Fair play mike but,
Fiat abarth 500 at 2.06 would put them in the grid top 20 for the britcar 24hr
get out of it
theres something funny going on...
or maybe i shall always be in the dark of the finer points of motor sport
cheers j
Old 8 Aug 2010, 09:33 (Ref:2741283)   #661
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Incredible though that sounds top 20 Britcar is probably about right - remember these are cars are pretty light and by the time you get to 20th place on Britcar you are talking almost historic M3 clones and fiesta's aren't you?
Whether they would last a whole Britcar round is a different issue!
Old 8 Aug 2010, 13:08 (Ref:2741343)   #662
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Race 19 - GP Masters F1 cars 1966-1985 (4)

Found a few more on another card. The last shot reminds me that Hartley had actually closed down on Coombes and was looking for a way passed (he posted fastest lap) but it was a slightly over optimistic attempt that caused the damage:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0016wb.jpg   IMG_0036wb.jpg   IMG_0114wb.jpg  

IMG_0156wb.jpg   IMG_0178wb.jpg   IMG_0196wb.jpg  

Old 8 Aug 2010, 13:58 (Ref:2741358)   #663
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
I am getting desperate trying to finish this article! PLEASE will some kind soul/souls email the classification results for Races 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 & 22 - even if you only have 1 it would be fantastic otherwise my keyboard will fill up with tears of frustration and I'll be in an even bigger mess! My computer refused to download the pdf file and now HSCC's site has crashed for Sunday's results I am st*****d. I don't like letting people down and must submit this today or tomorrow tops. Thanks in anticipation.
Old 8 Aug 2010, 14:23 (Ref:2741365)   #664
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Jill, have you tried going via the Silverstone Classic site, which is where I am getting them from; still seems to work for me:-

http://www.silverstoneclassic.com/us...lts.pdf?y=2010
Old 8 Aug 2010, 14:53 (Ref:2741375)   #665
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What a great pic of Steve Hartley JT, and it answers the question I had - was that the Steve Hartley I sold a Uvex full carbon helmet to? Yes! You can almost read the brand name
Old 8 Aug 2010, 16:36 (Ref:2741403)   #666
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hartley. Hartley, is he any relation to JR the fisherman....
Old 8 Aug 2010, 16:58 (Ref:2741416)   #667
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Thanks for all suggestions and race snippets from my Ten Tenther friends! HSCC is now working and this time I downloaded the 219 pages to print - so hopefully will finish whilst I'm still breathing!
Old 8 Aug 2010, 17:50 (Ref:2741438)   #668
james s
Rookie

United Kingdom
Alton,Hants
james s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re.Fiat 500 lap times, Remember the Silverstone Classic use the historic Club corner which must be worth 3 or 4 seconds.
Old 8 Aug 2010, 18:03 (Ref:2741442)   #669
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by james s View Post
Re.Fiat 500 lap times, Remember the Silverstone Classic use the historic Club corner which must be worth 3 or 4 seconds.
Good point
Old 8 Aug 2010, 19:27 (Ref:2741493)   #670
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think the economy measures went too far !!!!!!!!
No grid girls this year.
This is really short changing the competitor.
An essential element of good clean family entertainment gone !!!
Id rather pay a fiver more in entry fees if that brought them back.

Rudolf
Old 8 Aug 2010, 19:39 (Ref:2741502)   #671
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by percy View Post
OK - here is a link to my Picasa album of Silverstone Classic pics. There are 300+ photos here, all unprocessed. Let me know if any of them are any use to anyone. They're all grouped in race order, although I didn't see all of the races.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/cdicke...toneClassic10#

Cheers
Hi,
followed the link, had a look, some great picures there, thanks for posting this.

Rudolf
Old 8 Aug 2010, 20:17 (Ref:2741549)   #672
CUT 7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by james s View Post

now thats the sort of info that helps .
thanks for that.

does anyone know if the road legal lap times use the same club as the trefeos? I'm presumung they do.
i take the point about britcar.I doubt the fiats could lap that quick for long.
and of course historic racing, in case folk are in any doubt of where im coming from with this geekyness, as we all know is not always about out & out speed.Its the specticle, which is unrivaled.
Old 9 Aug 2010, 10:32 (Ref:2741810)   #673
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 20 - The Sir Stirling Moss Trophy for Pre 61 Sportscars

Another lovely grid for this hour long race with compulsory stop. 43 starters and 35 finishers, it was a shame that the Leventis Ferrari 246 S Dino didn't venture forth (although the Aston DBR1/300 from the same stable did) and the Graeme Dodd Cooper Monaco that he had invited Simon Hadfield to share, surely a strongly fancied frontrunner, didn't start due to a misfire/loss of power experienced during qualifying. It was left to Gareth Burnett in Adrian Van Der Krofts Cooper (77) to uphold, albeit too briefly, the Monaco's competitiveness in this race. 8th at the end of lap 1, he was 4th by the end of lap 3, in which he posted a 2.10.10, and I have no doubt he would have dipped into the 2.09s, in which rarefied air only the brothers McIntyre experienced during the race in Lister Chevrolet Knobbly (29 - Jamie) and Lotus 15 (15 - Ewan) respectively. Unfortunately, having overtaken the Alan Minshaw Maserati Birdcage (61) to take 3rd on lap 4, Gareth had to retire almost immediately through gearbox failure. Whether Adrian would have been able to keep the car at the sharp end of the race, had it lasted, is something I'll leave his mate JR to comment upon should he feel so inclined! Anyway, it was Jamie McIntyre who made the running at the front for most of the race chased very vigorously by his brother, Ewan, who capitalised when the Lister started suffering fuel starvation from a faulty fuel pump. Behind the Lotus, Jason Minshaw, having taken over the Maserati, brought it home 2nd, with the Costin bodied Lister Jaguar of Andrew Garner and Gary Pearson in 3rd. 4th was the DBR1/300(5) driven by Richard Attwood and Bobby Verdon-Roe, the latter revelling (as Peter Hardman used to) in the predictable handling of this iconic car and an absolute joy to watch through Abbey. How many other genuine Le Mans winners do we get to see racing as often as we have seen this one over the years?:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0233wb.jpg   IMG_0243wb.jpg   IMG_0255wb.jpg  

IMG_0270wb.jpg   IMG_0279wb.jpg   IMG_0292wb.jpg  

Old 9 Aug 2010, 10:38 (Ref:2741813)   #674
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 20 - The Sir Stirling Moss Trophy for Pre 61 Sportscars (2)

More:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0297wb.jpg   IMG_0320wb.jpg   IMG_0323wb.jpg  

IMG_0346wb.jpg   IMG_0383wb.jpg   IMG_0442wb.jpg  

Old 9 Aug 2010, 10:42 (Ref:2741817)   #675
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 20 - The Sir Stirling Moss Trophy for Pre 61 Sportscars (3)

More:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0465wb.jpg   IMG_0518wb.jpg   IMG_0561wb.jpg  

IMG_0642wb.jpg   IMG_0660wb.jpg   IMG_0731wb.jpg