Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 9 Aug 2010, 10:49 (Ref:2741820)   #676
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Race 20 - The Sir Stirling Moss Trophy for Pre 61 Sportscars (4)

More:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0740wb.jpg   IMG_0741wb.jpg   IMG_0760wb.jpg  

IMG_0766wb.jpg   IMG_0823wb.jpg   IMG_0837wb.jpg  

Old 9 Aug 2010, 11:09 (Ref:2741832)   #677
Ben Shuckburgh
Racer

Ben Shuckburgh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
More:-
So appreciate the great photos and race reports John. I didn't get to see too much of the other races over the weekend. Thanks
Old 9 Aug 2010, 11:16 (Ref:2741837)   #678
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Race 20 - The Sir Stirling Moss Trophy for Pre 61 Sportscars (5))

Thanks, Ben. Last lot:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0356wb.jpg   IMG_0363wb.jpg   IMG_0364wb.jpg  

IMG_0386wb.jpg   IMG_0458wb.jpg   IMG_0720wb.jpg  

Old 9 Aug 2010, 12:05 (Ref:2741852)   #679
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
JT-Answer to question-No!
That's what watches say!
But he will improve,thats the party line.
Both are lot quicker than me.
Old 9 Aug 2010, 15:58 (Ref:2741992)   #680
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Another lovely grid for this hour long race with compulsory stop. 43 starters and 35 finishers, it was a shame that the Leventis Ferrari 246 S Dino didn't venture forth (although the Aston DBR1/300 from the same stable did) and the Graeme Dodd Cooper Monaco that he had invited Simon Hadfield to share, surely a strongly fancied frontrunner, didn't start due to a misfire/loss of power experienced during qualifying. It was left to Gareth Burnett in Adrian Van Der Krofts Cooper (77) to uphold, albeit too briefly, the Monaco's competitiveness in this race. 8th at the end of lap 1, he was 4th by the end of lap 3, in which he posted a 2.10.10, and I have no doubt he would have dipped into the 2.09s, in which rarefied air only the brothers McIntyre experienced during the race in Lister Chevrolet Knobbly (29 - Jamie) and Lotus 15 (15 - Ewan) respectively. Unfortunately, having overtaken the Alan Minshaw Maserati Birdcage (61) to take 3rd on lap 4, Gareth had to retire almost immediately through gearbox failure. Whether Adrian would have been able to keep the car at the sharp end of the race, had it lasted, is something I'll leave his mate JR to comment upon should he feel so inclined! Anyway, it was Jamie McIntyre who made the running at the front for most of the race chased very vigorously by his brother, Ewan, who capitalised when the Lister started suffering fuel starvation from a faulty fuel pump. Behind the Lotus, Jason Minshaw, having taken over the Maserati, brought it home 2nd, with the Costin bodied Lister Jaguar of Andrew Garner and Gary Pearson in 3rd. 4th was the DBR1/300(5) driven by Richard Attwood and Bobby Verdon-Roe, the latter revelling (as Peter Hardman used to) in the predictable handling of this iconic car and an absolute joy to watch through Abbey. How many other genuine Le Mans winners do we get to see racing as often as we have seen this one over the years?:-
Joe and I were running well in this in the Lotus 15 when the rear axle let go on me going into Maggots. Quite an interesting moment!
Old 9 Aug 2010, 17:20 (Ref:2742045)   #681
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks for the photo john.You must of been quick with the shot as i only had a couple of laps then the pinion stripped.Jim had driven a very good first stint and we were well ahead in class.First DNF for a few years so no complaints.Just ********>!!!!!!!
Old 9 Aug 2010, 23:11 (Ref:2742204)   #682
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was sent these 2 photos today by someone questioning my lines in the Mini race. Actually having looked at them carefully tonight (with a glass of good wine in hand I might add), I thought both were rather impressive and warranted publication!

I have such a laugh driving the Mini. Huge bang for the buck!
Old 10 Aug 2010, 07:20 (Ref:2742305)   #683
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Brilliant, Roger!
Old 10 Aug 2010, 11:24 (Ref:2742397)   #684
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Having been involved with Handley,Rhodes etc back when .Can't see anything wrong with the lines. Perhaps not sideways enough?
Those red bits that stick up on the corners are not period correct and should be done away with!
Ideal race catagory for AVK.
Roger,bet you get as much pleasure from racing that as the fancy machines?
Old 10 Aug 2010, 14:50 (Ref:2742491)   #685
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's the kiwi on the back that unweights the car; not to mention the kiwi in the front.
Old 10 Aug 2010, 14:55 (Ref:2742493)   #686
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Roger,bet you get as much pleasure from racing that as the fancy machines?
Absolutely! I don't have any fancy machines really anyhow but the Mini is massive fun.
Old 10 Aug 2010, 15:46 (Ref:2742518)   #687
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
FWD has that attraction of providing loads of fun for little power. I recall (when I had hair) in a MG Metro entering Goddards at Donington on two wheels and still getting through it. The CoC upon slapping my wrist suggested I was over exuberant. The photographers thought it was only one wheel less than the norm!
Old 10 Aug 2010, 16:38 (Ref:2742552)   #688
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
The most asked question on here is have you got a photo of my car.
If they are that interested I would have thought they could organise for Geoff Bloxham or someone to take photos beforehand!
If it is any help I was talking to JEFFBloxham this morning and he has 5000 photographs from Silverstone Classic and another 5000 from Classic Le Mans!

They cover a multitude of shots of virtually every car participating so there should be something everyone
Old 10 Aug 2010, 16:48 (Ref:2742556)   #689
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills View Post
I don't have any fancy machines really .....
Am I on a different planet? Or are you?
Old 11 Aug 2010, 07:40 (Ref:2742911)   #690
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 20 was the last that I watched as I had to get back home. However, I can tell you that the Dean Forward's Mustang did not appear for the second Big Banger saloon cars race (race 22). The official reason was given as a failure to resolve the oil leak from the first race, but in truth, as I understand it, it was re scrutineered after the first race and found to be underwieght. Now, just for the record, as has been explained before, the race was not solely for Appendix K cars, but also included cars built to HRSR rules and Dean's car was built to those rules. However, in that form, it was required to run with ballast, and for reasons I know not, it was not carrying that ballast.

The HRSR have quite a long association with HSCC, and the combination of Appendix K cars and HRSR cars appear regularly on grids at HSCC event, so any outburst at non appendix K cars was misplaced for this race. It has been suggested that in order for the public to understand that the cars on this grid run to two different sets of rules which would, for example, lead to one Mustang being a lot quicker than another (other factors excepted) that there should be some clear indication of such difference displayed on each car. May I suggest the letter K for appendix K cars and the Letter H for cars built to HRSR rules be placed adjacent to the competition number on the sides of the cars.
Old 11 Aug 2010, 08:05 (Ref:2742922)   #691
Ben Shuckburgh
Racer

Ben Shuckburgh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
May I suggest the letter K for appendix K cars and the Letter H for cars built to HRSR rules be placed adjacent to the competition number on the sides of the cars.[/QUOTE]

When I started racing my (app K) car with the HSCC last year, that was the rule - not sure why it wasn't mentioned (as far as I remember) in the forms for Silverstone. I'd imagine it would add to spectator interest to know what was what.
Old 11 Aug 2010, 13:11 (Ref:2743040)   #692
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
My Cortina wears a small K beside the roundel.

The H is quite appropriate for HRSR cars to denote hot-rod!!
Old 11 Aug 2010, 13:43 (Ref:2743051)   #693
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From the regs: "Competitors wishing to enter in the Appendix K classifications, must notify the HRSR at the time of registering for racing and apply a letter K, of size 3" x 3", immediately adjacent to the right hand top side of each of their competition numbers."

but of course this would have been for info only as there were no classes in this race.
Old 11 Aug 2010, 15:31 (Ref:2743084)   #694
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think that would help. Some spectators probably won't care - and the sight of all those V8 tin-tops together was impressive irrespective of spec - but for those of us who do some easy way of knowing which rules each car is running to would be great. If it helps certain ex-BTCC drivers realise what sort of race they are entering, all the better...

Due to my road car breaking down at the track, the meeting didn't go quite as well as planned for me and I had to leave on Saturday afternoon. However, I did see some good highlights - both the big banger and U2TC saloons were great and the Formula Junior field was fantastic. I did, of course, miss Sunday's Grand Prix Masters event, which seems to have been a really good fight.

Just a quick question. What did people think about the spectator turn-out? My feeling on Saturday was that it was a bit down on recent years, but I didn't see Sunday and officially there were more people there than before.
Old 11 Aug 2010, 22:27 (Ref:2743275)   #695
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
[QUOTE and U2TC saloons were great [/QUOTE]

Personally I thought this race was to long for cars that were too slow on a circuit that was too long. These and the big saloons need mixing together and the race being 30 mins maximum.
Old 12 Aug 2010, 08:15 (Ref:2743406)   #696
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Interesting view rbs. My understanding is that it was split due to demand and the huge influx of big V8s last year that swamped the rest. Certainly both the big cars and the U2TC provided excellent grids this year.

Last edited by John Turner; 12 Aug 2010 at 09:50.
Old 12 Aug 2010, 08:51 (Ref:2743410)   #697
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
They were 2 of the biggest grids so deserved to be separate races.
Old 12 Aug 2010, 12:12 (Ref:2743484)   #698
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
'K' on App K cars has been in the regs for donkeys years, since Peter Wray had coloured hair in fact
Old 12 Aug 2010, 12:14 (Ref:2743486)   #699
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by krt917 View Post
and the sight of all those V8 tin-tops together was impressive irrespective of spec - but for those of us who do some easy way of knowing which rules each car is running to would be great. If it helps certain ex-BTCC drivers realise what sort of race they are entering, all the better....
what are you suggesting? as professionals, they show caution and understanding to the rest of us dog slow bungling amateurs?
Old 12 Aug 2010, 13:36 (Ref:2743540)   #700
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
the rest of us dog slow bungling amateurs?
Excuse me! I resemble that remark

Not so much of the 'dog'!