Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 17 Aug 2012, 20:18 (Ref:3121178)   #26
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shame he can't lower the death duties the family will face in the future and buy the whole circuit,it could be his gift to the sport that has made him so wealthy.
[Now,back to the real world]
Old 18 Aug 2012, 10:48 (Ref:3121318)   #27
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mercedes quitting F1 is more likely to be a result of Brawn not being able to give them a decent car to be honest.

I would imagine their investment has been considerable and they would rather be an engine supplier again, even though Petronas probably supply a lot of the budget, that team has under achieved really.

People should also realise that the Ring and the F1 track are quite separate, and operate pretty much independently for much of the time.

What goes on at the Ring will always go an as it is a huge revenue stream, and let's face it the F1 track though useful for big events is only really a draw for a few historic events and F1, used to be trucks aswell.

But the Ring is the jewel, not the F1 track, and I think the current incumbents would have been better served improving the Ring and trying to bolster the facilities there rather than basing it all near and around the F1 track, as the people involved at the Ring have felt largely left out and disenfranchised by the whole ringwerk NuroDisney deal.
Old 18 Aug 2012, 11:06 (Ref:3121328)   #28
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
but unless restricted in use to Touristfahrten and private test days only, the Ring needs the F1 circuit for pits, paddock and garages surely.
Old 18 Aug 2012, 12:30 (Ref:3121341)   #29
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The long track will only need these things for the bigger races like VLN and 24 hour.

So for that reason yes the track would remain, but I am fairly sure if the worst happesns that these b uildings could still be used, unless the whole thing is demolished and that is unlikely as it can only make money from now on!

When I went it was in use a lot, there was racing on one part, a scooter race on another.

A lot of diehards are very snobbish and funny about the whole thing, but I found it all very new, very impressive and from my Dad's point of view comparing it to Silverstone was like comparing a F22 Raptor with a Sopwith Camel.

I think instead of organising relentless campaigns about what is going on, these passionate supporters should try and find ways of opening a dialogue with new investors maybe? That way the amazing facilities (and they are amazing compared to what is actually at the ring entry) could be used more by proper fans instead of once a year GP visitors
Old 18 Aug 2012, 13:20 (Ref:3121349)   #30
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you'll soon hear that that has been happening for quite some time.
{might have more news after our next trip,tomorrow}
Old 18 Aug 2012, 16:29 (Ref:3121388)   #31
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
The long track will only need these things for the bigger races like VLN and 24 hour.
I've raced at the Ring several times, there is no paddock, pits, garages - or even a starting grid AFAIK - on the Nordschleife. The GP circuit is needed for ANY proper race on the Nordschleife; they have to be taken together, operating them independently means no racing on the Nordschleife, and that would indeed be a tragedy.
Old 18 Aug 2012, 19:00 (Ref:3121424)   #32
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Well I am sure they could sort something out if the worst happened.

But yes you are right, there are little facilities on the ring, actually, its a bit of a shame there is nothing there
Old 31 Jan 2013, 20:41 (Ref:3196743)   #33
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good news for the Ring. Sounds like Bernie gave them a financial break. I don't believe him when he implies that he did it for sentimental reasons. I think he did it under pressure from certain German individuals and sponsors that are influential in the sport.

Formula One will race at the Nürburgring in 2013
dw.de

An F1 Grand Prix will take place at the iconic, financially troubled Nürburgring circuit on July 7, ending months of uncertainty. Owing to contractual complications, the name "German" Grand Prix is still in doubt.

The Nürburgring race circuit will host a Formula One race on July 7, after months of closed-door talks between multiple parties seeking to salvage the event.

The state government in Rhineland-Palatinate, which owns the majority of the circuit along with a local municipality, announced that there had been a breakthrough late on Wednesday as regional media uncovered the story. The Nürburgring GmbH holding company, which filed for insolvency last July, confirmed the news on Thursday...

...Reigning three-time world champion Sebastian Vettel said he was happy about the move, praising the atmosphere around possibly the world's most famous circuit...
Old 31 Jan 2013, 22:26 (Ref:3196783)   #34
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
...and late breaking news, BCE is found Not Guilty of bribery and corruption charges in relation to.......
<wink>
Old 18 Mar 2013, 19:44 (Ref:3220756)   #35
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here is an important piece of news in a recent post from bridgetogantry.com, a good source of info about the Ring.

The 'Ring is For Sale (and it's scaring me)

If you haven't heard already, the Nürburgring is for sale. The whole thing, lock, stock and karussell. Depending on your viewpoint, it's either an amazing opportunity or a woeful state of affairs that illustrates everything wrong with the government and politicians of today.

For me, and most other residents, it's definitely the latter viewpoint that is strongest. But what's scaring me is imagining who is looking at this big for sale sign and thinking that it's an opportunity.

Jens Lieser, the state-appointed liquidator, has gone on record to say that the whole thing is for sale, not just the concrete jungle of arena, museum and impotent rollercoaster. A potential buyer could walk away from the table with the F1-spec Grand Prix circuit and the humongous money-maker that is the 20.8km Nordschleife. Maybe it will be sold in pieces, maybe it will be sold in one chunk. Not only is this some prime real estate, but it's practically the centre of the automotive universe...

Most of you will have heard of Save The Ring, and Mike Frison is the rather vociferous man behind the movement. I asked him some questions...

Q: What is the worst-case scenario for you, me and the fans of the Nürburgring?

The highest bidder buys the Ring and maximizes his profits to justify the investment. Grass root motorsport will disappear (it's not earning real money) as well as local companies. Their services will be routed through the new Ring owner's monopoly. We have seen clear tendency of that in the Richter/Lindner era over the last 2 years.

Accessibility and track time will only be a question of money, all events we know today are at risk. Especially the tourist drives, which are an old dinosaur from the past...
Old 18 May 2013, 19:52 (Ref:3249523)   #36
Schanche1965
Rookie

Schanche1965 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nurburgring on a Budget 2013 30/5-3/6

Am taking 10 Mazda MX-5s over between 30th May-3rd June it is the 3rd year of the annual trip, anyone else going over there on the same weekend?

Here is my car from 2012:

And last years` Lightning MxQueen:

With in-lightning video link
Old 6 Mar 2014, 23:29 (Ref:3375964)   #37
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would appear that the Americans have purchased the Ring for $90M...reported in Sports Car World?

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/nu...from-the-air-1
Old 7 Mar 2014, 02:13 (Ref:3375996)   #38
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That'll be awesome to have but a ***** to ship.
Old 7 Mar 2014, 12:23 (Ref:3376108)   #39
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4 View Post
It would appear that the Americans have purchased the Ring for $90M...reported in Sports Car World?

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/nu...from-the-air-1
a couple of fab pics in that link
Old 11 Mar 2014, 20:33 (Ref:3377528)   #40
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sold to Capricorn.

http://www.capricorngroup.net/filead...ornpNBR_EN.pdf
Old 11 Mar 2014, 23:45 (Ref:3377593)   #41
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
Wow, I guess it ain't over... 'til it's over...

Nürburgring officially sold for 100M euros
autoblog.com

Nürburgring sold to German auto supplier Capricorn
autoweek.com

NURBURGRING SOLD: OFFICIAL
Shock as HIG Europe loses out and Nurburgring is sold to Capricorn Group
pistonheads.com

In any case, it sounds like good news. Maybe even better than having HIG buy it.
Old 12 Mar 2014, 04:28 (Ref:3377638)   #42
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbusA346 View Post

Would have been VERY surprised if a non German company was allowed to buy part of German History.
A major consideration was public availability, any suspicion that this would be affected would have an affect on who won the bidding.Kill that and kill off a thirty plus klm radious of businesses! Seems like our move over here wasn't quite the risk a lot of people said it might be!
Old 12 Mar 2014, 04:41 (Ref:3377639)   #43
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Well I am sure they could sort something out if the worst happened.

But yes you are right, there are little facilities on the ring, actually, its a bit of a shame there is nothing there
As the GP circuit/pits and paddock are used for vln etc, theres nothing to sort out.Sure it would be nice to have separate paddock/pit garages foe the Nordschleif then both circuits could be used for simultaneous race meetings.Both circuits are often used.gp for race and nordschleif for TF days.
This last w/end was incredibly busy TF Sunday (rude not to) lol, almost as if everyone had suddenly awoken from hibernation and decided there was only one place to be.Going through Brunchen I was amazed at the volume of people in the car park.

Last edited by terence; 12 Mar 2014 at 04:47.