Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 8 Apr 2015, 15:34 (Ref:3525087)   #51
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
It's surprising to see Trans-Am getting a big grid nowadays! Of course, it can't compete against Pirelli World Challenge in their current state.
I think you'll see a lot more green racing time in TA this weekend!

Seriously, the TA(1) cars are not that much slower than the GT3s (if not faster, not a clue about the laptimes tbh) but - on average - sound much better and the ground pounding V8s make your body shake when they pass by at speed!

Anyway, yes, a PWC-TA double header is a mouth watering prospect! Oddly enough, both series are sanctioned by SCCA-Pro but so far the synergy is far to be found...
Old 8 Apr 2015, 16:47 (Ref:3525108)   #52
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
TA1 cars are quicker than GT1 cars, iirc.
Old 8 Apr 2015, 16:57 (Ref:3525110)   #53
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
nasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
The TA1s are quite a bit faster in a straight line than GTEs, it's crazy how quick those things are.
Old 8 Apr 2015, 17:04 (Ref:3525114)   #54
FLGTFAN
Racer

United States
Naples, Florida
FLGTFAN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
In 2005, the TA cars were around 9 seconds slower around Sebring than the GT1 cars. The TA(1) cars are now getting long in the tooth. Although faster than the new TA2 cars, their numbers are dwindling by comparison to TA2. IMO, it seems that the "show" is in TA2, and at some point the series may need to phase out the older cars.
Old 8 Apr 2015, 17:09 (Ref:3525115)   #55
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGTFAN View Post
In 2005, the TA cars were around 9 seconds slower around Sebring than the GT1 cars. The TA(1) cars are now getting long in the tooth. Although faster than the new TA2 cars, their numbers are dwindling by comparison to TA2. IMO, it seems that the "show" is in TA2, and at some point the series may need to phase out the older cars.
IIRC there are still new TA1 chassis being built by Tony Ave and some others. So while the designs might be old, the cars aren't necessarily. Also tubeframe cars don't age quite in the same way that unibodies do, and there still seems to be a good number of them.

How about putting a TA1 engine into a TA2 chassis, though? Aren't the TA2 engines ridiculously understressed?
Old 8 Apr 2015, 17:39 (Ref:3525125)   #56
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
IIRC there are still new TA1 chassis being built by Tony Ave and some others. So while the designs might be old, the cars aren't necessarily. Also tubeframe cars don't age quite in the same way that unibodies do, and there still seems to be a good number of them.

How about putting a TA1 engine into a TA2 chassis, though? Aren't the TA2 engines ridiculously understressed?
Don't know about the engine stress level, but it is an interesting class:

http://gotransam.com/transam101/?cid=59344

Couldn't tell, but I think it is a spec chassis. Also strange that the Dodge body has to run a ford or gm engine....
Old 8 Apr 2015, 17:40 (Ref:3525126)   #57
FLGTFAN
Racer

United States
Naples, Florida
The TA2 cars are also tube frame. They are built by designated series partners, the info is available on their website. I believe a turn-key car is around $100,000. The cost structure is much more NASCAR than IMSA, i.e. they run steel wheels and "fat" Hoosier tires that cost a max of $500/set. It's similar to NASCAR Touring division road races.
Old 8 Apr 2015, 18:07 (Ref:3525143)   #58
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Don't know about the engine stress level, but it is an interesting class:

http://gotransam.com/transam101/?cid=59344
Not saying it isn't. There's also a series for these in Denmark and Sweden, by the way. Jan Magnussen races a Camaro in his spare time there.

Quote:
Couldn't tell, but I think it is a spec chassis. Also strange that the Dodge body has to run a ford or gm engine....
I think that info page you linked to is kinda outdated... IIRC the Dodge that Tommy Kendall drove last year had a Dodge engine.
Old 8 Apr 2015, 21:41 (Ref:3525204)   #59
FLGTFAN
Racer

United States
Naples, Florida
One of the best things going right now is that Cameron Lawrence (TI Viper driver at Rolex, Sebring) is trying to break into the big leagues and still running the Challenger.
Old 8 Apr 2015, 21:45 (Ref:3525205)   #60
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
All TA2 chassis are basically Howe car - several engine and bodywork (Mustang, Camaro and since last year also a Challenger) options. Very similar to the DP formula.

TA3 are production based cars, split into 2 subdivisons: American - for the Mustangs and Camaros, and International for the Porsches, BMW and - oddly enough - Corvettes. These cars are very close to the GTS class in World Challenge, making cross overs easy (on paper).
Old 9 Apr 2015, 00:57 (Ref:3525235)   #61
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
nasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
All TA2 chassis are basically Howe car - several engine and bodywork (Mustang, Camaro and since last year also a Challenger) options. Very similar to the DP formula.

TA3 are production based cars, split into 2 subdivisons: American - for the Mustangs and Camaros, and International for the Porsches, BMW and - oddly enough - Corvettes. These cars are very close to the GTS class in World Challenge, making cross overs easy (on paper).
I could do without either TA3 class to be honest. If it was just TA1 and TA2, I'd be all for that!
Old 9 Apr 2015, 01:53 (Ref:3525251)   #62
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
[QUOTE=Speed-King;3525143
I think that info page you linked to is kinda outdated... IIRC the Dodge that Tommy Kendall drove last year had a Dodge engine.[/QUOTE]

You are correct, I misread the page and there certainly is a Dodge engine.

The spec sheet from Howe is fun to look at too:
http://www.howeracing.com/Adobe/HoweTA20811.pdf

Says the engines run restricted in TransAm around 475hp, but can make near 700 unrestricted.
Old 9 Apr 2015, 16:51 (Ref:3525435)   #63
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The series is cool, but I think Conti series does the concept better.
Old 9 Apr 2015, 17:44 (Ref:3525448)   #64
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
I think you'll see a lot more green racing time in TA this weekend!

Seriously, the TA(1) cars are not that much slower than the GT3s (if not faster, not a clue about the laptimes tbh) but - on average - sound much better and the ground pounding V8s make your body shake when they pass by at speed!
But why don't we see these cars in Europe (e.g. Supercar Challenge, Creventic endurance races)? Fast and powerful cars for relative low costs.
Old 9 Apr 2015, 17:57 (Ref:3525453)   #65
FLGTFAN
Racer

United States
Naples, Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
The series is cool, but I think Conti series does the concept better.
What concept would that be?
Old 9 Apr 2015, 18:10 (Ref:3525461)   #66
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
But why don't we see these cars in Europe (e.g. Supercar Challenge, Creventic endurance races)? Fast and powerful cars for relative low costs.
Actually, we do: the former Camaro Cup in Sweden and DTC in Denmark are run to these rules now, and the DNRT V8s in Dutch Club racing were basically the same Howe chassis minus the Pony-car-body.

Edit: The TA2-cars, that is.
Old 9 Apr 2015, 18:33 (Ref:3525473)   #67
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
But the Swedish, Danish and Norwegian series are one make series. I mean entering open series. So instead of buying an expensive GT(3) car buying a TA1 car.

Forgot about the DNRT V8.
Old 9 Apr 2015, 18:41 (Ref:3525477)   #68
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
But the Swedish, Danish and Norwegian series are one make series. I mean entering open series. So instead of buying an expensive GT(3) car buying a TA1 car.

Forgot about the DNRT V8.
I guess that's more due to not being allowed in. I think the GT3 manufacturers are rather territorial about their market and chances to win races, so under the current climate you'd never get one of those into the 24h 'Ring.

Sure that still leaves things like Supercar Challenge or VdeV - no idea why no one does it there. Might simply be supply issues, with the TA1 manufacturers - such as they are - not having a European sales partner. So if you want to get a silhouette, you can always go the Solution-F or Gomez route. No Atlantic Ocean to cross to get parts from them, and you can run similar engines in those. Well and then there's the V8STARs which were also American built and Roush-engined.

Only TA1 car in Europe I know of is a Camaro that very occasionally comes out to play in Spezial Tourenwagen Trophy.

http://www.fotocommunity.de/pc/pc/display/34003255

Last edited by Speed-King; 9 Apr 2015 at 18:48.
Old 21 Apr 2015, 02:31 (Ref:3529549)   #69
Coach Ep
Veteran

Quote:
Only TA1 car in Europe I know of is a Camaro that very occasionally comes out to play in Spezial Tourenwagen Trophy.
SCCA GT1 class car, you'll see lots of TA cars (especially the big cars) in SCCA Club racing, usually for one or two-offs.

Looks like we're heading to Lime Rock on Memorial weekend, should be a great trip, the track is top 3 on my bucket list so I'm a happy camper!
Old 10 May 2015, 00:19 (Ref:3535999)   #70
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
Race recaps and results from Road Atlanta http://nasportscar.com/rumans-reign-...-road-atlanta/
Old 10 May 2015, 01:00 (Ref:3536006)   #71
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Bob Baldwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How many cars compete in the TA Class ?
Old 10 May 2015, 07:48 (Ref:3536034)   #72
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Actually, we do: the former Camaro Cup in Sweden and DTC in Denmark are run to these rules now

Edit: The TA2-cars, that is.
I haven't attended at Danish races, but I've been once in a Swedish meeting. One thing that really bothered with the Swedish version, was the sound. They ran with mufflers larger than a mailbox, so it felt really neutered. Same thing here in Finland, though I haven't attended at Finnish meetings.

It's ridiculous, because the name of the series is Thunder Cars and they use terms like "V8 rumble" in marketing, but the sound is actually closer to the Audi LMP1 than original TA cars.
Old 10 May 2015, 18:26 (Ref:3536193)   #73
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
They ran as a support series to Drifting this weekend.
Old 19 May 2015, 18:49 (Ref:3539415)   #74
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
More Trans Am TV time http://nasportscar.com/trans-am-anno...e-day-classic/
Old 19 May 2015, 21:28 (Ref:3539467)   #75
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasportscar View Post
Thanks for the reporting of this series!
I am going to keep up with this as
I think there is a good story there with
Amy Ruman.