Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 30 Jul 2008, 20:25 (Ref:2260517)   #1
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DTM - Brands Hatch 2008

http://dtm.com/rennen.php?rennen=2008-08-31

OK - I'm a marshal, so I'm posting this here, if the mods want to move it so be it - just leave us a link

As many of you know the German Touring cars are coming to Brands Hatch at the end of August.

As some of you may not know IF the crowd is not big enough, despite the fact that BH already appears on the 2009 Calendar, they will not be back

This - IMHO - would be a bad thing, so we have to do everything in our power to encourage the big crowd.

Now Mercedes are trying to help by getting someone called Lewis Hamilton (who-he?) to pop along and drive a F1 car during the weekend, so that's a start,

It's not that expensive -
https://tickets.motorsportvision.co....ProductID=3568
which is lots cheaper than the GP - and the DTM drivers will be accessable for autographs (unlike the ..) as well as that Lewis Hamilton chap

There was rumoured to be 150,000+ at the Nürburgring over the weekend, don't worry about the traffic problems if they all turn up at BH, lets just get them there.

Don't say I didn't warn you

But don't care.
Old 30 Jul 2008, 21:55 (Ref:2260576)   #2
wild hipo
Racer

wild hipo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Who is Lewis Hamilton. Is he a comedian??.
Old 30 Jul 2008, 22:22 (Ref:2260593)   #3
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepits!
OK - I'm a marshal, so I'm posting this here, if the mods want to move it so be it - just leave us a link
The last bit I can do, but please remember, guys, there are other areas on this forum and you are allowed to visit them.
Old 31 Jul 2008, 11:06 (Ref:2260872)   #4
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I'm doing my bit, I'm off to Brands and dragging the other half along as well...I'll give anybody 3 guesses as to why I suddenly want to go and watch the DTM.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 31 Jul 2008, 12:11 (Ref:2260910)   #5
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I'm going Love the noise
Old 31 Jul 2008, 18:28 (Ref:2261141)   #6
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl
I'm doing my bit, I'm off to Brands and dragging the other half along as well...I'll give anybody 3 guesses as to why I suddenly want to go and watch the DTM.
Err, because you want to see the Brits get 1/2/3 again?

(p.s. - glad to see a certain german eventually managed to get a point in the DTM)

But don't care.
Old 31 Jul 2008, 20:38 (Ref:2261245)   #7
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Hey, it's more than some have managed.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 31 Jul 2008, 22:15 (Ref:2261295)   #8
Elio
Veteran

Elio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmmm......

The event is going to be canned if it doesn`t attract a bigger crowd. So everyone should "do their bit" to artificially try to bump up the crowd so it stays......

If the Germans are not satisfied with the level of support the British public give to what is in essence a glorified domestic touring car series on an away weekend then let them take the thing away!!

You think a Ten-Tenths pact will make a difference !!!!!

If you like the pleasntly noisy but otherwise dull DTM that much then go see them on the continent.

Maybe we should start another thread lobbying for them to clear-up the various messes they have made around Brands Hatch before they switch off the light....... Yeah, that`ll work won`t it.......
Old 31 Jul 2008, 22:59 (Ref:2261318)   #9
PDS
Veteran

England
Medway Towns
PDS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The DTM I love! I have been to every visit they have made to the UK since 1991..

But this year it clashes with the BTCC at Silverstone... BAD MOVE!!

It looks like as much as I love them... I will have to give the DTM a miss this year.

As I image many 'touring car fans' will do also. Not helping the gate.
Old 31 Jul 2008, 23:58 (Ref:2261341)   #10
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDS
The DTM I love! I have been to every visit they have made to the UK since 1991..

But this year it clashes with the BTCC at Silverstone... BAD MOVE!!

It looks like as much as I love them... I will have to give the DTM a miss this year.

As I image many 'touring car fans' will do also. Not helping the gate.
..not to mention the huge draw of the SuperLeague race at Donington
Old 1 Aug 2008, 00:41 (Ref:2261361)   #11
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elio
If the Germans are not satisfied with the level of support the British public give to what is in essence a glorified domestic touring car series on an away weekend then let them take the thing away!!
Do note that 6 of the 21 drivers in DTM are Brittish, including current #2 and #4 in overall points. I have to agree that it's weird if that doesn't stir any local GB attention.
Additionally DTM is no longer classified as a German event, but an international one.
Old 1 Aug 2008, 07:41 (Ref:2261462)   #12
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
I can't decide on this one.

The last couple of years I've got bored and fed up with the noise after 2/3rds of the race. Oddly if I do go this year it will be partly due to the support package. Pick-ups are normally good and I'd really like to see the VW Polo Cup. I have a suspicion that a load of small one-make racers driven by people who've never seen Paddock Hill before could be quite entertaining.

Then again it is BTCC at Silverstone that weekend.
Old 1 Aug 2008, 08:07 (Ref:2261481)   #13
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
I have a suspicion that a load of small one-make racers driven by people who've never seen Paddock Hill before could be quite entertaining.
Very true!

For me a DTM vs BTCC clash is no contest - DTM every time. I can see the BTCC quite easily on other weekends at better spectating circuits than Silverstone. I like to get a variety of tin top racing in so I'll watch BTCC, WTCC and DTM, but when the "once a year" events come around they take priority over the domestic series for me.
Old 1 Aug 2008, 09:15 (Ref:2261524)   #14
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Hmmmm......

Maybe we should start another thread lobbying for them to clear-up the various messes they have made around Brands Hatch before they switch off the light....... .......
I agree with what you've said & yes, the big changes for snatch vehicles were requested by the Germans, but I feel that MSVR would have done the same thing eventually.

Have you heard the rumours about what the Power Rangers (WSB) want done to Paddock hill bend's runoff...(double the gravel trap width at 4a!!)?

Last edited by Bodysnatcher; 1 Aug 2008 at 09:17. Reason: if you can't see it do the click & scroll to see the horrors proposed
Old 1 Aug 2008, 20:00 (Ref:2261827)   #15
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What sort of crowds do they usually get for DTM at brands? Also what were the crowds like when it was at Donington a few years back ?

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 1 Aug 2008, 20:34 (Ref:2261838)   #16
Elio
Veteran

Bodysnatcher... have heard the Paddock run-off, tunnels, paddock reprofiling RUMOURS. I assumed it was maybe an effort to take MotoGP from Donny.

Oopss.. Just read your hidden bit..... and nearly passed out !!! Did not realise it was THAT severe!!!!! Now I could understand things being done at the TOP but not a lot reaches 4a STILL with enough momentum to require that kind of run-off !!!!!!
Old 1 Aug 2008, 20:46 (Ref:2261842)   #17
Elio
Veteran

For me, the DTM crowd at Brands last year was better than BTCC, which in turn was probably a bit better than WTCC. I expect lots on here will say BTCC had the biggest CAR crowds last year, but I personally think that DTM just edged it. Prob around 20,000 ish?? At a guess.... maybe.... possibly. Maybe a tad more.

If you want a proper sized crowd pop in this Sunday...........
Old 2 Aug 2008, 09:01 (Ref:2262012)   #18
surrealillusion
Racer

United Kingdom
Next to my shadow
surrealillusion should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be there for the DTM.

Much better than our effort at touring cars, although they do give good entertainment, its not as fast or as loud or as good looking at the DTM. And doesnt have as many big names in it either.

Surreal Illusions Motorsport Photography
Old 2 Aug 2008, 09:31 (Ref:2262025)   #19
steven prussia
Rookie

steven prussia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it a 2 or 3 day event?
Old 2 Aug 2008, 11:39 (Ref:2262069)   #20
surrealillusion
Racer

United Kingdom
Next to my shadow
surrealillusion should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
technically 2 days, but friday is testing/practise.

Surreal Illusions Motorsport Photography
Old 2 Aug 2008, 22:54 (Ref:2262308)   #21
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
Quote:
If the Germans are not satisfied with the level of support...then let them take the thing away!!.....
It's not the Germans, it's JP. Brands is already on the DTM 09 calendar, but if the crowds don't turn up in 08 he'll loose money, and as he has no intention of running a loss-leader it won't be back in 09!

But don't care.
Old 4 Aug 2008, 10:58 (Ref:2263117)   #22
BeeJ
Racer

England
Coventry UK
BeeJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will be at Silverstone for BTCC. I have been to Brands for the DTM and due to them running on the Indy circuit I find BTCC more entertaining. Now if they ran on a circuit that they could show there difference they would be more entertaining. When they were at Donny there was not the TV coverage that it has now although that has got worse. I think its peak viewing was when the race was shown in the middle of the whole BTCC day being on MotorsTV.
Old 4 Aug 2008, 13:02 (Ref:2263194)   #23
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's wrong with enlarging a graveltrap? As long as they don't change the corner, it seems ok with me.
Old 5 Aug 2008, 20:26 (Ref:2264044)   #24
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by werner
What's wrong with enlarging a graveltrap?
Nothing, they can park more cars in it and give the snatch more work to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by werner
As long as they don't change the corner,
Too late for that - it's already been done. It used to be where the gravel trap is now!

But don't care.
Old 5 Aug 2008, 22:58 (Ref:2264152)   #25
MarkkuAlen86
Rookie

Wales
Wales
MarkkuAlen86 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will be there for the DTM at Brands, I really hope it pulls the crowds, I don't want to lose it. Although it would be amazing if they ran the GP course?

I have been to two BTCC meetings and watched it on TV periodically, but its done nothing at all for me since the 2000 season and the big rule change.

I find it weird watching Hatchbacks in whats supposed to be a saloon car championship, and the drivers also have lost character, we still have Plato, but no Menu or Cleland to liven proceedings up. I doubt it will ever be as good as it was in the 90's.