Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 22 May 2005, 15:06 (Ref:1307007)   #1
KennyG
Racer

KennyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
(In)famous marshals sayings thread

I will allow him to come here and own up himself. Oulton Park a few weeks ago, a certain marshal offered me his e-mail address and commented - "It's so cold I can't spell".

At Croft, a marshal referring to a driver with a chunk of loose bodywork who was one of a pack of four cars said "It's the middle one of the four".

Any better?

Professional Motorsport Photographer
Old 22 May 2005, 17:17 (Ref:1307262)   #2
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"It's been a quiet day hasn't it" - I've said that more than once before the inevitable happens...
Old 22 May 2005, 17:27 (Ref:1307279)   #3
schrammy
Racer

England
Scratby
schrammy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Friel
"It's been a quiet day hasn't it" - I've said that more than once before the inevitable happens...
Been there, done that. On post 4 at Mallory, some bright spark (my brother in law) pipes up, "quiet is'nt it". He had'nt finished speaking before we had three mini's trying to demolish the tyre wall! Mind you, he's now learned to keep his mouth in neutral!
Old 22 May 2005, 19:19 (Ref:1307404)   #4
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
(Radio controller to Safety Car)
"Safety car, Safety Car, you may now stand down, and thankyou for your invaluable assistance during the race".

The race in question didn't have the provisions of the Safety Car!!

(Me, on the phone to race control last weekend)
"Hello, I've just noticed that car number 35 has no number!"
Old 22 May 2005, 19:25 (Ref:1307416)   #5
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can't remember saying anything that would go down in the history of motorsport as being an (in)famous saying but I'm sure there are people on here with better memories than mine who will no doubt relate something that I've said!
Old 22 May 2005, 20:11 (Ref:1307452)   #6
rescue dude
Veteran

England
rescue dude is a back marker
I remember being in a rescue unit on the way to Cadwell with two other regular ten-tenth,s members, when one, while looking out the window at the freshly ploughed field,s said "Isn,t the dirt dirty round here".
At which point myself and my colleague almost wet ourselves.
It's alright Gizmo i won't grass you up.
Old 22 May 2005, 20:12 (Ref:1307453)   #7
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about: "We've been lucky today, no Red Flags......"

Cue a Red Flag in every race following that statement
Old 22 May 2005, 20:40 (Ref:1307478)   #8
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Colleague's comment after spotting car clipping the grass at Quarry at Combe -
"Keep off the Grass"

Colleague's increasingly unoriginal comment following each car which clipped the grass throughout the morning session -
"Keep off the grass"

Near the end of the morning session, a car has a massive rolling shunt in the next sector after clipping the grass and unbalancing the car in our sector. After the dust had settled and everything went quiet, my colleague sighed and quietly commented -

"I told 'em to keep off the grass".
Old 22 May 2005, 20:43 (Ref:1307481)   #9
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
While discussing grading cards, the person I was with said... "Oh, I just need another incident signature to get my incident grade, an incident like..... THAT ONE!" as a Formula Ford decided to park itself on top of the tyrewall.

He got his signature and his grade

"Prepare for Kart-a-geddon!" Just as the field of karts come around for the start and sure enough five way "explosion" of karts with two that were later transported to hospital (they were fine)

"Magnet ON!" Said before most of my good incidents in my "magnet" season of 2000/2001
Old 22 May 2005, 20:53 (Ref:1307492)   #10
G Tanner
Racer

England
Weston-super-Mare
G Tanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Me at Pembrey last week waving off the last race on Sat (VSR's/Silhouttes) on their Green Flag Flag and then putting away the Green Flag and saying, we won't need that again today. This was promptly followed by 2 Red Flag stoppages.

doh........
Old 23 May 2005, 08:45 (Ref:1307792)   #11
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Then there's always "Let's close down the medical center".......
Old 23 May 2005, 09:32 (Ref:1307836)   #12
Bryan Degerlund
Veteran

England
Dartford
Bryan Degerlund should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nurburgring 24-hr, this year, at post 142 (entrance to Karusell). Midnight. the middle of a four-hour shift. Dave Sweet and I are taking half-hour turns on the yellow, I have just handed over to Dave, I am busting for a p** (at my age it gets you that way) so I say to Dave, "Its all quiet, I'll be a couple of minutes".

When I return, Dave is frantically waving the yellow board plus the yellow flag, in the middle of the concrete part of the Karusell is a very battered SEAT which had rolled following a wheel loss. Luckily Don and Roger on the next post had also heard the crash and provided cover. The driver had extracted himself and made his own way to the bank.

Next time I will take a bucket with me!
Old 23 May 2005, 11:09 (Ref:1307908)   #13
rumblefish
Rookie

United Kingdom
Wigan
rumblefish should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about Race Control at OP, during final lap of qualifying or race:
"No recoveries, Rescue 1/2, Fire 1/2 hold position for a quick turn round."

Cue mayhem!
Old 23 May 2005, 11:58 (Ref:1307951)   #14
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One sadly no longer with us radio controller to recovery vehicle driver Walter Jones, "Can you do a straight tow at Hilltop, please". Only problem was, we were at Anglesey at the time!
Old 23 May 2005, 12:33 (Ref:1307992)   #15
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
CombeMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Don't worry, this is always a quiet post!"

And

"It looks like were going to get a lunch break today!"
Old 23 May 2005, 12:33 (Ref:1307993)   #16
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
And I Missed, "I think it's safe to take off my waterproofs now!"
Old 23 May 2005, 15:47 (Ref:1308144)   #17
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey
Stoowert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At a BRDC/BRSCC extravaganza a couple of years back, a chief at the morning meeting told us the GT's would have a rolling start. We all murmered and dispersed. It was only when I looked in the programme I found out - No GT's!
I can't say who the balding chief was, but William the first was one!

Plus I only have think "I think I'll watch the Palace today" and they go a goal down!
Old 23 May 2005, 16:28 (Ref:1308179)   #18
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
at my first meeting..my io said if the car looks as though its been to a dodgy pannel beater...thats cos it has, always look out for teh dented ones, theyre most likely to crash!...sound advise
Old 23 May 2005, 17:07 (Ref:1308216)   #19
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Odd, that pork pie i had 10 mins earlier hasn't worked....." - famous last words before the time-released pig 'n' pastry product does it's worst.
Old 23 May 2005, 19:11 (Ref:1308344)   #20
gravel_monkey
Veteran

England
widnes
gravel_monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i know exactly which marsall it was who couldnt write his own name because he was to cold as i was stood next to him and ken on knickerbrook but i will let him grass himself up!!!

i remeber at druids on fpa day saying to our io,
"god, i could have a sleep, its like a set of parade laps this!"

10 seconds later we were all running for cover as the f355 crashed through the barriers!
Old 23 May 2005, 20:40 (Ref:1308412)   #21
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I once picked up the rescue units PA mike instead of the radio mike and Promptly told all the speccies near by that we had got the driver out of his car.
Old 23 May 2005, 21:10 (Ref:1308430)   #22
Pete Howarth
Veteran

England
New Waltham
Pete Howarth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember the I.O. at last years GP saying I'm bored could do with something to happen, followed by the bang of a F3000 in the barrier, the next time the comment was made a Porsche into the barrier
Old 24 May 2005, 08:26 (Ref:1308702)   #23
danccooke
Veteran

England
West Sussex
danccooke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"A Bit of gaffer tape and some T-cut and it will be good as new" said jovially if but a little too loudly, the driver/student/foetus of the recently modified formula BMW stood next to us had lost his sense of humour at that point.

On another note my cousin doesn't need to say anything but he is not allowed to touch the yellow flag, ever. he is the prince of darkness better than any "pig in pastry" or other crash talisman.
Old 24 May 2005, 17:28 (Ref:1309174)   #24
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Said to the driver of a Morgan who was concerned that it would be difficult to retrieve from it's position, which was standing on it's nose at the bottom of the valley.

"No worries, bit of rooting powder we could get a good tree going there."

Some people just can't take a joke...
Old 24 May 2005, 17:52 (Ref:1309200)   #25
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
A month or so ago I was walking round the Padock (We had a lunch break for once!) When I came upon Tony Dolley's 206, I comented on how clean and intact it was, A hundred yards into the start of the race he only goes and rolls it right infront of me.
I won't coment on conditions of cars again!