Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 7 Jan 2023, 21:25 (Ref:4139218)   #101
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This article came up on FB. Very interesting.

https://www.hagerty.co.uk/articles/m...#comment-40544

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 8 Jan 2023, 02:02 (Ref:4139223)   #102
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Similar issue been serialised in the AROC magazine - DVLA rejecting a claim for a year-related registration based on a South African reg doc which stated "rebuilt" - although in fact it had been the equivalent of SORN, then retaxed.......but also arguing that they did not recognise foreign registration documents as evidence....and completely ignoring their own inspector's judgement.

Been through various appeal systems, which DVLA lost, but ignored the judgements. They appear to be a law unto themselves - that we all pay for....
Old 8 Jan 2023, 09:48 (Ref:4139233)   #103
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B Dont you love technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I actually do .....)

Bloody technology! It all relies on one thing. Electricity.

32C here, 8pm and I was sitting down seeing what was on telly with the aircon on, when everything went out.

Two minutes later a text message from the Elec. co and tells me of an unplanned unidentified outage for the surrounding area. We Hope to have power your resumed by midnight!

So, fortunately laptop was charged and now operating off my mobile hotspot.
Rushed up to the supermarket to buy some candles and they were running off their backup generator. No such luxury at home. Oh yeah, I couldnt get out of the garage which is electric and remote controlled, so had to look up how to manually overide it to escape. Fortunately I had bought myself a rechargeable worklight for Xmas.... and it is fully charged.

Fortunately my stove top is gas so managed to make a cup of tea. So sitting here with candles lit and getting by, but its only times like this you realise how dependant on electricity we are.

All I need now is for my mobile internet to use up its allowance!

Happy days.

Edit: Just got a text message update with revised fix time saying hope to have power restored by 1am! 4 hours time.

Last edited by E.B; 8 Jan 2023 at 09:57. Reason: Update
Old 8 Jan 2023, 10:54 (Ref:4139235)   #104
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Mon pauvre Chris, ce sont des petites misères qui pourrissent la vie. Avec ton smartphone tu dois pouvoir capter la TV je suppose. C'est le bon moment pour aller surfer ou se baigner!
Old 8 Jan 2023, 13:28 (Ref:4139244)   #105
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Fingers crossed you're nearly back on - tho I guess an early bedtime will have been called for
Old 8 Jan 2023, 16:08 (Ref:4139250)   #106
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Bloody technology! It all relies on one thing. Electricity.

32C here, 8pm and I was sitting down seeing what was on telly with the aircon on, when everything went out.

Two minutes later a text message from the Elec. co and tells me of an unplanned unidentified outage for the surrounding area. We Hope to have power your resumed by midnight!
In the hurricane in 1987 we were off the electricity for a week out in the sticks, however back then we had an old coal fired Rayburn for cooking/ heating the house and domestic hot water. I just turned the mains off and plugged a 3kw generator into the downstairs ring main via the summer house that ran the lighting and central heating pump, we even had TV! We were giving hot drinks to various workers that were clearing the trees off the roads etc, and everything worked like a dream We got rid of the old 1947 Rayburn a few years back and went all electric !! the only independent heating we still have is a woodburner that unfortunately doesn't have a back boiler.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 8 Jan 2023, 16:45 (Ref:4139252)   #107
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Trip to Bicester for the Scramble today. A few pics if anyone is interested.

https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAnrGq
Old 8 Jan 2023, 18:46 (Ref:4139255)   #108
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Very nice!

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 8 Jan 2023, 20:01 (Ref:4139257)   #109
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post

Some good snaps there Peter, it looks like you were lucky with the weather as it's been peeing with rain most of the day at home in Kent
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 8 Jan 2023, 23:21 (Ref:4139264)   #110
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Great pics Peter.... I must confess not being familiar with the event, and when I saw the word "Scramble" I was expecting pics of two wheeled machines and lots of mud, but was pleasantly surprised.

Some fabulous cars there, too many to name specifically but a great spread of eras and marques.... and plenty I would love in my garage. And no sign of mud, just maybe a bit damp, albeit sunny and not too wintery.

Looks like a great meeting though and thanks for the pics.
Old 8 Jan 2023, 23:59 (Ref:4139267)   #111
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Fingers crossed you're nearly back on - tho I guess an early bedtime will have been called for
Certainly earlier than normal, although for no sensible reason other than the laptop held its charge and the mobile hotspot functioned, I felt the need to stay up and see if....

I had just gone to bed when the power company sent me a text to say the power should be now restored and to contact them if it wasnt. It was.

No dramas really, and I think it was more shock and lack of being prepared for such an event. All good and I now know how to convert the remote garage door to manual operation in the dark if it happens again.
Old 9 Jan 2023, 00:33 (Ref:4139270)   #112
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Some great cars there Peter!

As a general rule, I'm not a huge fan of green as a car colour, but I'd happily take that SS Camaro, or indeed, the green Alfa GTV.

The blue & white Mk1 Capri looks tasty too, and the red 3.0 CSi Beemer. Even the white E21 3 series looks like a minter, although I think I'd take it without the ridiculously over-sized wheels.

All in all, a very nice, eclectic selection of vehicles there it seems.
Old 9 Jan 2023, 01:29 (Ref:4139274)   #113
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
...... I'd happily take that SS Camaro, or indeed, the green Alfa GTV.

The blue & white Mk1 Capri looks tasty too, and the red 3.0 CSi Beemer. Even the white E21 3 series looks like a minter, although I think I'd take it without the ridiculously over-sized wheels.
Yes to all of those, but also not keen on the E21 look.... I used to have an E21 323 Bauer Cabrio / Targa, albeit pretty stock, which was a brilliant car. Sounded great. Loved it.
Old 9 Jan 2023, 07:31 (Ref:4139286)   #114
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Great pics Peter.... I must confess not being familiar with the event, and when I saw the word "Scramble" I was expecting pics of two wheeled machines and lots of mud, but was pleasantly surprised.

Some fabulous cars there, too many to name specifically but a great spread of eras and marques.... and plenty I would love in my garage. And no sign of mud, just maybe a bit damp, albeit sunny and not too wintery.

Looks like a great meeting though and thanks for the pics.
I think it's called a scramble to reflect the fact that it is on a WW2 airbase. There are four per year and they always attract lots of different cars. I was parked with the classics on the road into the main area. Just walking around the car park was jnteresting. Got talking to a couple with a XK 5.0 coupe which is on my list but because it's too recent doesn't fall under the Classic label. Was a bit lovely though. Another area in one of the hangers was teaching 4 to 17 year olds to drive. I agree re the BMW the rear wheels had about 10 degrees negative camber!
Old 9 Jan 2023, 09:22 (Ref:4139306)   #115
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Peter, lovely pictures and some beautiful cars. Thanks for sharing.

I think some of the guys on Tenths would appreciate it if you put a link to the album on the Car Spotting thread in the Road Car section, as many of them do not look in this thread.

Oh, and one car I have always loved is the Daimler SP250, often mistakenly referred to as a Dart.
Old 9 Jan 2023, 09:30 (Ref:4139312)   #116
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Peter, lovely pictures and some beautiful cars. Thanks for sharing.

I think some of the guys on Tenths would appreciate it if you put a link to the album on the Car Spotting thread in the Road Car section, as many of them do not look in this thread.

Oh, and one car I have always loved is the Daimler SP250, often mistakenly referred to as a Dart.
I'll put a link in the Car Spotting thread.

It was originally named the Dart but Jaguar was banned from using the name by Dodge, who owned it.
Old 9 Jan 2023, 11:08 (Ref:4139325)   #117
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Certainly earlier than normal, although for no sensible reason other than the laptop held its charge and the mobile hotspot functioned, I felt the need to stay up and see if....

I had just gone to bed when the power company sent me a text to say the power should be now restored and to contact them if it wasnt. It was.

No dramas really, and I think it was more shock and lack of being prepared for such an event. All good and I now know how to convert the remote garage door to manual operation in the dark if it happens again.
You might want to look for a portable generator , if there are any still available , for when this happens again .

Aus has been called the " Crash Test Dummy " for renewable energy .
https://agrigateglobal.com/press-rel...ience-society/
Because the rush for wind and solar has led to the highest electricity prices in the world , and the very high probablity of more and more power cuts
Old 9 Jan 2023, 16:51 (Ref:4139386)   #118
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
I'm afraid that people of a "certain" age like me seem to be forever attending funerals of our friends!. We went to my old sponsor's "send off" a couple of weeks back and have got a close family one next week, so we were looking at flights to get away in January "sometime". I then get a message from an old friends wife to say that he had passed away this morning!
Am I alone ? or is this happening to other 10thers ?
Old 9 Jan 2023, 16:53 (Ref:4139387)   #119
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Attended the funeral of a friend's mother in November, then a neighbour lost her husband just before Christmas so even if we don't attend the funeral it's all close to home.
Old 9 Jan 2023, 18:46 (Ref:4139414)   #120
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Two this month . Both motor racing friends . I have a Wonderfull funeral story of an old fire brigade chum I want to tell you about but it’s a long story . Might have to be posted on a Sunday afternoon .
Old 10 Jan 2023, 00:48 (Ref:4139455)   #121
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
You might want to look for a portable generator , if there are any still available , for when this happens again .

Aus has been called the " Crash Test Dummy " for renewable energy .
https://agrigateglobal.com/press-rel...ience-society/
Because the rush for wind and solar has led to the highest electricity prices in the world , and the very high probablity of more and more power cuts
Thinks... a friend of min into caravanning has just upgraded his generator in readyness for a trip across Aus to Perth. His old one I helped him pick a year ago and might be available..
As for Aus renewable energy it really is a bit like headless chickens running around.
A couple of years ago I moved into a new house and took advantage of the great grants rebates and even Govt provided interest free loans to get solar panels. I ended up paying a quarter of the full price.
I went for a none storage system because at the time the engineer that did the quote and work warned me of the ridiculous cost of the batteries and their dubious quality at the time..... he said wait a couple of years for the storage side as prices will come down and technology will improve etc. So I have a system which generates power but doesnt store it for later. I can add a storage system when battery quality increases.
When I installed the system it was as said all grants and my excess to requirement production goes to the grid for a credit. At the time that credit was 19c / unit. I just changed my routines... instead of putting the dishwasher . washing machine on at night, I put it on during the day when the power is 'free' (ish).
Now for reasons unknown near enough all grants have been removed for new installations, so anyone taking the plunge now wont have the c 75% grant s etc I got. Plus prices have increased.
From my pov my rebate used to be 19cents for every unit I sold to the grid. They have gradually reduced that and now I get 6 cents / unit!
So the installation costs are now tripled or more with minimal grants available, plus the rebate on what goes to the grid is less than a third of what it was two years ago. Plus of course the cost per unit of what I use in the evening has rocketed.
And they are scratching their heads as to why people are thinking twice about installing solar.
And that is without even mentioning what they are doing /not doing re that article.
Old 10 Jan 2023, 07:51 (Ref:4139522)   #122
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I read an article the other day, where the renewable providers were complaining that the cost of designing and constructing wind farms was, along with planning rules etc. precluding them from developing new sites. In other words the green levies they've been living off are no longer adequate and they have to work in the real world.
Old 10 Jan 2023, 20:19 (Ref:4139633)   #123
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Few months back Mrs Delta was moaning about be biking home from work in the dark. I told her to be quite and that I was not stopping. Tonight on the way home big pot hole then high side and now in a lot of pain.Couple of beers seems to be helping. Good job its not racing season yet.
Old 10 Jan 2023, 20:47 (Ref:4139634)   #124
drbob
Racer

drbob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry to hear that delta. Almost as bad as a high side over fence to get away from a kangaroo. No broken bones I hope. Should we rustle up a reserve driver ?
Old 10 Jan 2023, 21:04 (Ref:4139637)   #125
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbob View Post
Sorry to hear that delta. Almost as bad as a high side over fence to get away from a kangaroo. No broken bones I hope. Should we rustle up a reserve driver ?
I am good Robert. Fear not.Good job my co driver is a doctor .
Closed Thread