Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 28 May 2010, 01:25 (Ref:2699651)   #1
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HRT & BRR - New Transporters every year???

Speed Cafe Article here

Interesting to note the HRT & BRR transporters are seemingly renewed every year.

Whilst it might possibly be more economical for WP to re-lease transporters so frequently; it must also surely signal to the less well-off teams who has the most resources.

It might take more than the COTF concept to establish a more level playing field.
Old 28 May 2010, 02:33 (Ref:2699671)   #2
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They swap the Prime Movers regularly not the whole unit.

In real terms the Prime Movers being used by V8 teams are low kilometre units compared with the units running up and down the highways every day so by swapping them regularly make them attractive as a "Demonstator" and the manufacturer wont lose as much money on the resale.
Old 28 May 2010, 02:38 (Ref:2699673)   #3
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is only the prime movers that are being replaced, recall that HRT received their current b-double in 2008. Often teams have contra deals with truck manufacturers for prime movers so WP may not be parting with any cash for them anyway. And seeing they accrue very low mileage by truck standards probably only being on the road for 30 days a year, the manufacturer would be able to sell it as a former HRT truck attracting a bit of a premium.
Old 28 May 2010, 03:12 (Ref:2699682)   #4
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony81901 View Post
It is only the prime movers that are being replaced, recall that HRT received their current b-double in 2008. Often teams have contra deals with truck manufacturers for prime movers so WP may not be parting with any cash for them anyway. And seeing they accrue very low mileage by truck standards probably only being on the road for 30 days a year, the manufacturer would be able to sell it as a former HRT truck attracting a bit of a premium.
I think it will attract a premium anyway for the low mileage and condition. The teams keep them clean enough to enter into show and shine comp's.

Not something that most truck drivers would be interested in knowing it was a former HRT/BBR hauler. Chances are it would disappear into the hands on single truck operator, as most trucking companies custom paint there rigs, and never be seen again.

Anyway, most teams lease there rigs as it's easy to replace them on a regular basis. Some even hire there's, so they don't have a rig sitting around doing nothing for most of the year. Helps keep costs down at the end of the day. Trailers thou then to be outright purchases, as these then become assets. All I can say is if you run a race team, have a good accountant.
Old 28 May 2010, 03:21 (Ref:2699685)   #5
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most of the B-Double transporters are built in Shepparton in Northern Victoria.
Old 28 May 2010, 03:35 (Ref:2699690)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Trev View Post
Most of the B-Double transporters are built in Shepparton in Northern Victoria.
Shepparton Motor Bodies has built most of them...

...its interesting to understand that the Team Vodafone unit isnt actually new to them, being the ex-PWR unit that was built by SMB when the SuperCheap deal was signed there.

The transporter in use by Mr Fiore, being ex-Inta Racing, is actually the former Briggs/888 unit....

SBR now has a second trailer, similar to the first.. which still looks in great shape for entering its 8th season of use
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 28 May 2010, 03:56 (Ref:2699694)   #7
twinwebbers
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
twinwebbers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I took a trip north from Brisbane last weekend and saw the T888 prime mover towing a messy looking B-Double plain white curtain-sider like it was doing a 'small crops' run.

It seemed odd to me the thought of them leasing it out to run during the week.
Old 28 May 2010, 04:28 (Ref:2699699)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinwebbers View Post
I took a trip north from Brisbane last weekend and saw the T888 prime mover towing a messy looking B-Double plain white curtain-sider like it was doing a 'small crops' run.

It seemed odd to me the thought of them leasing it out to run during the week.
What kind of prime mover was it? I have seen a Team Vodafone liveried prime mover doing delivery work also, and it showed up at Winton with an ex-JDR transporter on its tail...
Old 28 May 2010, 05:03 (Ref:2699706)   #9
twinwebbers
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
twinwebbers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From memory (it was a couple of days ago and it was going past the other way meaning it was a 200kph pass) it was a cab-over design (no nose) decked out in all the chrome and red.
Old 28 May 2010, 05:40 (Ref:2699714)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
A few from Winton...

Old 28 May 2010, 06:20 (Ref:2699724)   #11
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They are all truckin' nice...
Old 28 May 2010, 08:04 (Ref:2699754)   #12
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The trailers full of Aussie Racers that arrived at Hidden Valley for thier recent run with the Australian Superbikes were being hauled by a couple of Team Voda prime movers.
Old 28 May 2010, 09:37 (Ref:2699788)   #13
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting RE: Team Vodafone's apparent approach to making use of their transporter in between rounds.

It gets their sponsors' name out there on the roads; and makes having a $3M asset which would otherwise be sitting around, seem far less wanton.
Old 28 May 2010, 21:28 (Ref:2700161)   #14
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The truth be known, they are probably loaners from the manufacturer:

a) and when not used by Vodaphone are sent back to a dealer and used for other loan jobs; or

b) they are have done their K's as a loaner and have been sold on with the livery intact to promote the fact they (the manufacturer) sponsor 888

I used to work for a company that got loaners from Ford twice a year, we used them, sent them back to Ford who put them into dealers as "ex Ford executive" cars, we were not a Ford company.
Old 29 May 2010, 03:01 (Ref:2700225)   #15
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forda View Post
Interesting RE: Team Vodafone's apparent approach to making use of their transporter in between rounds.

It gets their sponsors' name out there on the roads; and makes having a $3M asset which would otherwise be sitting around, seem far less wanton.
Back in the 90's WGR's ( Wayne Gardner Racing ) transporter did the same thing, towing trailers around Syd during the non race weeks, used to see it all the time. So it is not a new practice.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 30 May 2010, 01:06 (Ref:2700650)   #16
bear025
Rookie

bear025 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I to saw the 888 truck hauling an old b double through lismore last wednesday morning however goin by the photos above id say it was one of their old trucks as it was an iveco truck and had what looked to be the bamboo livery still on the rear of the cab to match the trailers. Looks like 888 now get their prime movers from M.A.N.
Old 30 May 2010, 04:27 (Ref:2700674)   #17
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forda View Post
Speed Cafe Article here

It might take more than the COTF concept to establish a more level playing field.
Ummm, so are you suggesting a cap on the level of spending of transporters? No shiny truck and trailer can make your car go faster, surely?
Old 30 May 2010, 09:48 (Ref:2700755)   #18
Rachel Richards
Racer

Wake Island
In a small house by the sea
Rachel Richards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For the record, the HRT jigger was parked up in Fox St Winton this afternoon, waiting for the crowds & competitors to depart Historic Winton.

Obviously testing there tomorrow.
Old 30 May 2010, 10:16 (Ref:2700771)   #19
bullit
Rookie

Australia
up a tree on a mountain
bullit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
having had quite a bit of experience with the clayton clans choice of prime mover i would turn them over very regularly too
Old 1 Jun 2010, 08:53 (Ref:2702363)   #20
Marcos Skaife
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Marcos Skaife has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullit View Post
having had quite a bit of experience with the clayton clans choice of prime mover i would turn them over very regularly too
I`m hearin ya............. Turn them into something european instead methinks!!

Unless you don`t like the operator of course
Old 1 Jun 2010, 11:37 (Ref:2702444)   #21
bullit
Rookie

Australia
up a tree on a mountain
bullit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos Skaife View Post
I`m hearin ya............. Turn them into something european instead methinks!!

Unless you don`t like the operator of course

Comes down to application marcos but i tend toward a completely local build and design rather than the germans and americans deciding what we should be thankfull to receive , having said these trucks are simply a promotional means to an end and really anything on the market should handle the very low annual kms and lighter gcm these transporters operate at. so if its free or cheap its good.