Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 30 Sep 2018, 17:41 (Ref:3853568)   #1
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
MSA extensions to some harness and seat expiry

Don’t know if anyone has gone through the latest MSA bulletin emailed to licence holders, but couple of interesting changes for next year.

First, the latest 6 point harnesses with homologation 8853-2016 will have a life of 10 years rather than the FIA 5 years when used in National events. Life of the older homologation number harnesses is not changed.

Second, seats with FIA homologation 8855-1999 have 2 extra years of life added over the original 5yrs. Again, when used in National events. (The latest seat standard 8862-2009 has a 10yr validity.) Not sure if these screen prints will be readable- if not you’ll have to read the bulletin!
Attached Thumbnails
B7874B94-E6AD-430A-B800-262275DF8BBA.png   7A544AFF-F286-42B8-AC71-CDFD547CFEEF.png  
Old 30 Sep 2018, 20:00 (Ref:3853629)   #2
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Hmmmm interesting Mike, Thanks.
Question for you all. We have a car going out in WHT in November. The extinguisher is now over 10 years old so we cant get it serviced. The expiry date was May this year. ie made in May 2008.If I had taken the system to be serviced in May or earlier this year then I guess they would of done the service and it would be OK to May 2020.
I am going down myself to ask the question tomorrow.
Old 30 Sep 2018, 20:17 (Ref:3853638)   #3
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Hmmmm interesting Mike, Thanks.
Question for you all. We have a car going out in WHT in November. The extinguisher is now over 10 years old so we cant get it serviced. The expiry date was May this year. ie made in May 2008.If I had taken the system to be serviced in May or earlier this year then I guess they would of done the service and it would be OK to May 2020.
I am going down myself to ask the question tomorrow.
The people servicing the extinguisher would probably of said they can't service it and made you buy another one, which is probably what you will have to do before presenting the car for scrutineering.
Old 30 Sep 2018, 21:09 (Ref:3853655)   #4
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Yep your right . Happy days
Old 1 Oct 2018, 06:08 (Ref:3853720)   #5
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
The bottles are lifed by the manufacturers. Lifeline offer a discounted price on the replacement if it’s one of theirs (and you buy the new one from them)....
Old 1 Oct 2018, 07:56 (Ref:3853738)   #6
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Someone emailed me re this, and the fact we'll have to have HTP's or VIF's for any car come 2020 . . . .
Old 1 Oct 2018, 08:18 (Ref:3853743)   #7
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Someone emailed me re this, and the fact we'll have to have HTP's or VIF's for any car come 2020 . . . .
It’s to do with racing a ‘period defined vehicle’. That I believe is to the end of 1976. The amendment / addition is here...
Attached Thumbnails
5E01D4CD-1A4B-4A4C-A4A5-D5BB557E5483.png   5BC19A76-73AC-4B7B-8F8F-6F28F1CC3D61.png  
Old 1 Oct 2018, 08:44 (Ref:3853755)   #8
Geraint Owen
Racer

Geraint Owen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You need to be careful with all this. The harness rules apply to all disciplines, but the seat life changes only apply to rallying, or at least that is how I read it. I am not sure why that should be the case. It might be worth someone asking the MSA
Old 1 Oct 2018, 09:58 (Ref:3853772)   #9
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was really pleased to read this, as it's about time some common sense was applied to us club competitors - for years now we've been forced to follow the same standards as professional racers, whose equipment probably gets 10 times more use/abuse than many of us occasional racers subject ours to. In my opinion, there should be a completely different set of rules for club competitors, and they should have nothing to do with anything the FIA says.

It really galls me having to consign equipment to the scrapheap that has often had very little use, simply because some arbitrary date set by FIA has passed, and the MSA have simply blindly followed suit.

The latest thing on the list, of course, is the updates to the extinguisher rules - perhaps someone at the MSA could now apply some common sense to to this, and scrap the whole idea. For years, we've been able to run our extinguishers as long as the needle shows in the green. I'm not aware of any instances where such an extinguisher has failed to operate when needed, so why all of a sudden are we being forced to meet FIA standards and replace yet more equipment that is fully functional? Jobs for the boys? From what I've read, anecdotally, these modern extinguishers aren't much use anyway, so why are we being forced to fork out yet more cash for something that's not likely to do much good even if we did need it?

Dave Richards, as the new chief at the MSA, has pledged to improve matters for the 'grass-roots' competitor, so I think it's time some of these rules were re-appraised and the amount of use a typical club racer subjects stuff to should be taken into account.

Incidentally, I think the ruling about seats is specific to rallying because, at national level or lower, I believe rallying is the only discipline where the seats are currently lifed anyway. As club racers, our seats don't (currently...) have to be FIA certified.
Old 1 Oct 2018, 10:46 (Ref:3853787)   #10
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraint Owen View Post
You need to be careful with all this. The harness rules apply to all disciplines, but the seat life changes only apply to rallying, or at least that is how I read it. I am not sure why that should be the case. It might be worth someone asking the MSA
You’re right, 48.10.6 is in the blue book rallying section......
Old 1 Oct 2018, 13:22 (Ref:3853817)   #11
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraint Owen View Post
But seats in club racing dont have to be in date anyway.
Old 1 Oct 2018, 19:32 (Ref:3853900)   #12
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
For most 60's cars, particularly sports cars, 'proper' seats don't fit, so we came to the conclusion a 'modified' but otherwise perfect out of date seat, cut down, and recovered in something to match the passenger side, was the best option.
Unless of course the original seats were any good.

The Tornado has/had funky racy bucket seats which not so long ago were probably worth more than the car!

Last edited by zefarelly; 1 Oct 2018 at 19:43.
Old 2 Oct 2018, 11:22 (Ref:3854019)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've just bought a pair of leather retro Corbeau seats for the road MGB. I've got to lose about 10kgs now.
Old 2 Oct 2018, 12:31 (Ref:3854031)   #14
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I've just bought a pair of leather retro Corbeau seats for the road MGB. I've got to lose about 10kgs now.
Well there’s an incentive! For the Morgan +4 that I’ve shared in the Spa 6, it’s very narrow Sparco Rev has to be substituted for a period bucket, as the 3rd driver is ‘big boned’.... The fact that the owner and YT are then uncomfortable for our stints is immaterial, apparently!