Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: How do you rate the race?
10 0 0%
9 0 0%
8 2 3.13%
7 5 7.81%
6 16 25.00%
5 20 31.25%
4 12 18.75%
3 6 9.38%
2 2 3.13%
1 1 1.56%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30 Mar 2014, 21:02 (Ref:3386803)   #26
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Driving to save:
fuel
tyres
engine

yawn!
Old 30 Mar 2014, 21:06 (Ref:3386805)   #27
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
5. Nothing too exciting, but just about enough happening to keep me watching.
Old 30 Mar 2014, 21:11 (Ref:3386811)   #28
aki13
Racer

aki13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The SpeCTator View Post
Driving to save:
fuel
tyres
engine

yawn!
This is my overriding feeling of F1 since 2009/2010. Its become lost in conservation of equipment and saving money.
Old 30 Mar 2014, 21:25 (Ref:3386817)   #29
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not wildly exciting. I gave it a 7.

To those who scored it a 5 or a 4 or even less, I think you should try a different sport. Clearly F1 is not your thing.
Old 30 Mar 2014, 23:33 (Ref:3386863)   #30
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aki13 View Post
This is my overriding feeling of F1 since 2009/2010. Its become lost in conservation of equipment and saving money.
Saving money ?? I will have to think about that one ..
Old 30 Mar 2014, 23:51 (Ref:3386870)   #31
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aki13 View Post
Saving money? By some estimates the cost of a power unit contract for a team just rose from about $10million to $25 million per year......

But they go though four sets of tyres in a Grand Prix when 25 years ago they got by on one set.....
They fly 6 Boeings from country to country carrying cars and spares when once upon a time they would put a couple of cars, a spare engine and some bits into a few crates and ship them for less than $3000....

In 1992 you could run a good F1 team well on $40-$50 million a year. Now you have teams that need to spend $100-$150 million just to be at the front end of the grid....
Old 31 Mar 2014, 00:25 (Ref:3386881)   #32
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pretty dull. Only satisfied by Hamilton's win. 4.
Old 31 Mar 2014, 00:26 (Ref:3386882)   #33
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Some good skirmishes from time to time, although the TV coverage didn't necessarily capture them - I was watching the live timings too and wanted to see some of the chases that were apparent from the gaps shown on there......

But not a bad race - Lewis could obviously have pushed harder - popping in that quick lap a few laps before the end was a bit pointed

Gave it a 6....
Old 31 Mar 2014, 09:11 (Ref:3386968)   #34
Grandpa_Rob
Racer

Australia
Oz
Grandpa_Rob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
6 for me, was hoping for a little of the wet stuff to be truthful, the second half of the race wasn't great until the last couple of laps.
Old 31 Mar 2014, 09:26 (Ref:3386975)   #35
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
Saving money? By some estimates the cost of a power unit contract for a team just rose from about $10million to $25 million per year......

But they go though four sets of tyres in a Grand Prix when 25 years ago they got by on one set.....
They fly 6 Boeings from country to country carrying cars and spares when once upon a time they would put a couple of cars, a spare engine and some bits into a few crates and ship them for less than $3000....

In 1992 you could run a good F1 team well on $40-$50 million a year. Now you have teams that need to spend $100-$150 million just to be at the front end of the grid....

Who cares T?

Originally Posted by The SpeCTator
Driving to save:
fuel
tyres
engine

yawn!

OK so Merc got the new formula right - so what now?

3 is the most I can muster!
Old 31 Mar 2014, 09:27 (Ref:3386976)   #36
aki13
Racer

aki13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Saving money ?? I will have to think about that one ..
Wasn't the whole original idea of 8 now 5 engines/power units for a season and limited gear boxes to stop the teams just putting a brand new engine in every race.

Same with reducing testing..... stop the big teams just running 6 cars and 3 teams of crew.

As it turns out it has become more expensive than ever, but I thought the original plan was to restrict the big teams spending
Old 31 Mar 2014, 09:55 (Ref:3386984)   #37
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I gave it 7. I enjoyed it.
Old 31 Mar 2014, 12:34 (Ref:3387038)   #38
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In many ways, it was quite flat, but I enjoyed it enough to give it a 7. But I'm going for a 4 for that pathetic Magnussen penalty.
Old 31 Mar 2014, 15:00 (Ref:3387083)   #39
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
6 - really good start, some good action, some better action between team mates but without the rain it was a fairly straight forward race for me.
Old 31 Mar 2014, 15:03 (Ref:3387084)   #40
Quartermiler
Rookie

England
Quartermiler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Couple of decent scraps for positions, but generally a flat race. I give it a 4.

Too much focus on saving tyres & fuel, and the driver weight disparity is a no brainer that needs dealing with.

Cars look and sound awful too.

Other than that, it was all good
Old 31 Mar 2014, 15:09 (Ref:3387086)   #41
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
TheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Old 31 Mar 2014, 15:13 (Ref:3387087)   #42
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I literally fell asleep while watching it... as I did with qualifying the day before. Hopefully one day Formula One will actually encompass some racing.
Old 31 Mar 2014, 18:22 (Ref:3387142)   #43
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
My guess was that there was as much racing in that race as most GP over the ages.

If you don't like that, which is fine, then it might mean on the whole you don't like GP racing. Which the FIA will listen to and then develop something else artificial to please you.

We are in a spiral of over expectation that is leading to the gradual death of the sport.

Do I win happy post of the day?
Old 31 Mar 2014, 18:28 (Ref:3387145)   #44
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
My guess was that there was as much racing in that race as most GP over the ages.

We are in a spiral of over expectation that is leading to the gradual death of the sport.
If you don't think it could be made any better then
Old 31 Mar 2014, 18:33 (Ref:3387147)   #45
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I feel it can be made better, but when comparing that race to historic races I seem it as a standard race in terms of 'racing'. Expect of course it has a stupid points system, daft tyres and DRS. I'd get rid of all those to make it better. Although from the criteria of 'racing' it may well make it less. More like a sport though.
Old 31 Mar 2014, 21:15 (Ref:3387202)   #46
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This post may be in the wrong place, so feel free to remove it. Can't think of a better time or place to say this though.

I do feel there is an overwhelming negativity towards Grand Prix Motor Racing today, which is frustrating as I find the sport absolutely thrilling. We seem to focus far too much on the negatives, comments on social Media about there being F1 Fans and then Motor Sport Fans strike me as ridiculous. The constant desire to return to the past, I refuse to mix my words here, is pathetic. I am not on about any comments in this thread, I feel the race has been rated rather low but valid opinions have been more than given (sorry sound like a judge now)! Constant predictions of the death of the sport, whilst refusing to acknowledge the massive multi-million viewer audiance, the sponsors who continue to invest. I also find it frustrating when people refuse to understand why the sport is trying to adapt, with DRS and degrading tyres, to create the better racing every fan demands. We cant forget what we have leant, Formula Ford racing with no wings is terrific but face it, will never return to top level Motor Sport. We constantly lambast the rule makers who try and give us what we say want. A closer championship fight? Gauranteed? Double points is a logical solution. The sport, whether you agree or not it is by definition sport and therefore by definition entertainment. I enjoy all forms of Motor Racing, touring cars are utterly enthralling and the WEC is quality. But F1 is the defined pinnacle, not the best but the International represntative. If anyone kills this sport, it will be the fans becoming too demanding and expecting too much. Or the greedy so and so's at CVC.

The race:7. Some good battles and a few nice stories to follow as well.
Old 31 Mar 2014, 22:11 (Ref:3387220)   #47
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BtccLee View Post
This post may be in the wrong place, so feel free to remove it. Can't think of a better time or place to say this though.

I do feel there is an overwhelming negativity towards Grand Prix Motor Racing today, which is frustrating as I find the sport absolutely thrilling. We seem to focus far too much on the negatives, comments on social Media about there being F1 Fans and then Motor Sport Fans strike me as ridiculous. The constant desire to return to the past, I refuse to mix my words here, is pathetic. I am not on about any comments in this thread, I feel the race has been rated rather low but valid opinions have been more than given (sorry sound like a judge now)! Constant predictions of the death of the sport, whilst refusing to acknowledge the massive multi-million viewer audiance, the sponsors who continue to invest. I also find it frustrating when people refuse to understand why the sport is trying to adapt, with DRS and degrading tyres, to create the better racing every fan demands. We cant forget what we have leant, Formula Ford racing with no wings is terrific but face it, will never return to top level Motor Sport. We constantly lambast the rule makers who try and give us what we say want. A closer championship fight? Gauranteed? Double points is a logical solution. The sport, whether you agree or not it is by definition sport and therefore by definition entertainment. I enjoy all forms of Motor Racing, touring cars are utterly enthralling and the WEC is quality. But F1 is the defined pinnacle, not the best but the International represntative. If anyone kills this sport, it will be the fans becoming too demanding and expecting too much. Or the greedy so and so's at CVC.

The race:7. Some good battles and a few nice stories to follow as well.
I don't disagree. One thing I have been aware of is the old phrase "familiarity breeds contempt". The closer we feel to something the more we tend to be critical of it. The internet with its access to all pervading media has made every section of F1 accessible so we all aspire to make the way we want it.

One comment about the past.
While we may see it through rose tinted glasses, the F1 of past years, whether it be 10, 20, or 30 years was a far inspirational time for almost all of us. Today it has lost a lot of that 'inspirational order. Whether we are all more cynical or we have just been overfed by the media access, it isn't the sort of sport we remember from past experience.
Old 31 Mar 2014, 22:41 (Ref:3387225)   #48
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Massive generalisation ahoy!

I've said it before: everyone has a view of their own "golden age" of F1, which usually lies around the time their interest went from "a bit" to "slightly obsessed".

Most of us can identify to within less than a few months the point where we changed from casual observers to enthusiasts, and that's often the era which we view as being "the golden years".

Then we became *really* enthusiastic, started learning about the politics and movements behind the scenes, and it never felt quite the same again... and eventually, we fell out of love with F1.

The interesting thing about the advent of social media (and the internet in general) is that the timescales involved have shortened dramatically. Once upon a time we got news of F1 precisely once per week, and lo, it was good quality news. Nowadays we can get a fix every minute of every day, but the quality is rubbish, so we want MORE! all the time.

I dread to think what newcomers to the sport think, sometimes. Their golden years must be very, very short (and very, very recent).
Old 1 Apr 2014, 08:27 (Ref:3387329)   #49
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I feel it can be made better, but when comparing that race to historic races I seem it as a standard race in terms of 'racing'. Expect of course it has a stupid points system, daft tyres and DRS. I'd get rid of all those to make it better. Although from the criteria of 'racing' it may well make it less. More like a sport though.
Ah... did I say the racing was better in the past ? It was just as poor. With a captive audience and not much in the way of alternatives, progress didn't matter before. It does now. I'd love to see a ground up rethink of the whole thing. It's unlikely to happen, so audiences will continue to decrease.
Old 1 Apr 2014, 09:41 (Ref:3387354)   #50
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Sorry, I assumed you thought it was better in the past. You don't seem to like it now, but you must have previously to start and keep watching it. I just assumed. Incorrectly it seems. My fault.