Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Apr 2001, 22:15 (Ref:78743)   #1
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The British Touring Car Chapionship has implemented ne rules this year with the aim of making racing more EXCITING. This in turn should boost TV ratings and see manufacturers return.

What they have done, however, is quite interesting:

1. reduced aerodynamic aids, such as spoiler size etc.
2. Allowed coupe's etc. not just saloons
3. reduced engine power and displacement
3. allowed more modifications to the actual bodywork/chassis (most importantly WIDER TRACK)

and, most interestingly of all

4. STANDARDIZED PARTS. Things like the foot pedals and other stuff (can't remember waht, anyone know??) have been STANDARDIZED so that the ENTIRE FEILD runs parts that are exactly the same, regardless of manufacturer. COULD THIS WORK IN F1?? IS IT A GOOD IDEA?? IS IT THE RIGHT DIRECTION TOGO??
Old 9 Apr 2001, 00:20 (Ref:78777)   #2
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, sure... the top form of motor racing should always be looking to the bottom-feeding areas for new ideas...
Old 9 Apr 2001, 18:23 (Ref:79009)   #3
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And why not?? Just a thought.......
Old 9 Apr 2001, 20:32 (Ref:79030)   #4
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Part of the charm of F1 is that the teams have the freedom to develop new parst and technology, what do you think?
Old 9 Apr 2001, 22:35 (Ref:79093)   #5
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I agree that it is the pinnacle of motorsport, but i do think in the area of electronics EG traction control, a sealed ECU unit has to be the way forward, Traction control/auto G/boxes are not acceptable in F1.
Old 9 Apr 2001, 22:46 (Ref:79099)   #6
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally posted by Sodemo
I agree that it is the pinnacle of motorsport, but i do think in the area of electronics EG traction control, a sealed ECU unit has to be the way forward, Traction control/auto G/boxes are not acceptable in F1.
Do we need electronics in F1 at all? These are all driver aids which I would prefer F1 not to have. Just get rid of all on board computers. Then we will have real racing, the ultimate form of motorsport.
As for touring cars, after watching the V8 saloon race in Adelaide last weekend, if it clashed with F1, I'd tape the F1 race and watch the V8 saloons direct. Now I have to even reconsider my previous statement that Mt. Panorama is the ultimate - I think after last weekend, Adelaide Rules.
What do you think, AMoffat? Was that great or was that great?
Old 9 Apr 2001, 23:29 (Ref:79107)   #7
Billy_Hunt
Racer

Billy_Hunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's ok saying can F1 take a leaf out of touring cars book when we don't even know if the changes are going to have the desired effect, it will be intresting to see what happens.
But it all sounds a bit much for F1, the regulations are too vast and hard to police as it is with out more.
Get rid of the driver aids everybody wants that but I say relax some of the regulations not add more i.e. bring back slicks as has been mentioned quite a few times within these walls also lets go back to the wider cars etc. etc.

One thing I can not understand about the FIA having such big problems detecting cheating (ie TC) is the teams get data from their cars during every single lap the car does telemetry for this and that you name it, it all goes into a computer ,so why couldn't the FIA use this information to detect if teams are cheating, perhaps the FIA need to jump onto the technology band wagon to keep up with the teams they could collect the data from each car as it went passed.
So instead of dragging F1 back to the dark ages drag the FIA into the now !
Old 10 Apr 2001, 05:44 (Ref:79137)   #8
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Billy, there's only one race until Spain and then virtually nothing will be banned. So the FIA are not going to develop anything or take any action in this the last race this weekend of the open loop engine mapping systems. We have to consider whether a large number of driver aids, with the larger factory cars having far superior systems, is good for F1 or the other way around. I suppose if TGF wasn't driving for Ferrari, the driver aids could help a far inferior relacement like Marques look good at Ferrari. I know it is inevitable for electronic driver aids to overpower driver ability in F1, but right now, who cares?
Old 10 Apr 2001, 08:24 (Ref:79158)   #9
badoer fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
badoer fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about F1 night races?
Old 10 Apr 2001, 09:43 (Ref:79173)   #10
JoMiSaP
Rookie

JoMiSaP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

With or without lights???

Old 10 Apr 2001, 12:44 (Ref:79226)   #11
badoer fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
badoer fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its a new challenge for the designers isn't it
Old 10 Apr 2001, 22:23 (Ref:79336)   #12
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
The drivers could wear night-vision goggles!
Old 11 Apr 2001, 02:11 (Ref:79360)   #13
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
We could have electronically controlled acceration, braking, steering, gear changes, so the only thing the driver has to do is sit there and scream
Old 11 Apr 2001, 08:27 (Ref:79396)   #14
JoMiSaP
Rookie

JoMiSaP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They could organise a two and three seater world championship, after all McLaren and Arrows have already made models fitting in that category.