Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Apr 2002, 19:27 (Ref:258370)   #1
SILVERS95
Veteran

SILVERS95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Skys F1 coverage .. great or brilliant ?

I have to say then when Sky announced that were showing F1 on PAY PER VIEW then it would be good to see all the practice sessions live , but would it really be worth 12 quid a race ? ...
well ,

i think that Skys Digital coverage is the best thing ive ever seen , the onboard cameras from todays practice at Imola was just brillant , they were onboard with Michael when he had his spin , but the camera was facing backward into the cockpit and you could see right in his eyes . Earlier on , they show live onboard cameras of Sato's first 5 laps that he'd ever done around Imola , and in the wet he was very sideways all the way round but still keeping on the black stuff whilst he was learning the track .

add that to 8 different channels to watch , all sessions LIVE , great commentators , data screens , great interviews from around the paddock , onboard radio's , it gooes on and on .

its the best coverage ive ever seen of F1 or even motorsport in general , and its definatly worth 12 pounds a race .

and now they have announced that there showing Live Porsche super cup support race as well on sunday morning .

F1 is so much more exciting than it ever was before !
Old 12 Apr 2002, 19:32 (Ref:258373)   #2
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I will subscribe soon!!!

Problem is that I'd miss the Friday coverage, some of saturdays and I've got exams soon. Come summer though i'm sure i'll try a couple of them!!
Old 12 Apr 2002, 19:35 (Ref:258377)   #3
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
i have to say that watching sky's coverage has made me realise how bad itv's was in the first place! the onboard of tgf as mentioned by silvers was brilliant, and to still be with tgf (i.e onboard...but looking backwards) was fantastic coverage! i have to say that this races viewing fee (£12) was worth it just to see the track marshall telling tgf that he had to go back to the pits an entirely different way from the way tgf wanted to go....billiant!!

i have now paid for the first 4 race coverages from sky (upto todays free practice) and must say that i have no intention of watching itv's coverage again!

i just hope that sky and bernie can come to an agreement beyond their current 2 year contract!

the only way that sky could improve their service (imo) is to introduce a "season ticket" as we see with the footie!!
Old 12 Apr 2002, 19:38 (Ref:258380)   #4
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by paulzinho
I will subscribe soon!!!

Problem is that I'd miss the Friday coverage, some of saturdays and I've got exams soon. Come summer though i'm sure i'll try a couple of them!!
cvan't you set the video paul? i promise you, you won't be disappointed and you won't want to go back to itv!!

btw, the only other way to improve their service also (aswell as my season ticket idea) would be to hire martin brundle!
Old 12 Apr 2002, 19:44 (Ref:258385)   #5
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah , i agree with that mr v , Brundle was good.

Paul , the thing is with Skys coverage is that you dont even need to play around with all the channels if you dont want to . If you set your video for the practice or race etc , it will just record the MASTER CHANNEL which is just so good . They put all the best views and radio feeds from all the channels and give a general veiw simular to the itv coverage only about 50 times better. Its still great just to set the video and watch the MASTER CHANNEL .
Old 12 Apr 2002, 19:47 (Ref:258386)   #6
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oh , and those laps from onboard Sato were great . He doesnt have any fear does he . He was on a new circuit with a flooded track , and watching the onboard channel with him was a joy .
Old 12 Apr 2002, 19:54 (Ref:258388)   #7
Daytona Donald
Rookie

Daytona Donald should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Sato san
oh , and those laps from onboard Sato were great .
i often wondered where you got your name from "SATO SAN", a little bit biased then? although the boys car control does seem pretty amazing!
Old 12 Apr 2002, 20:02 (Ref:258396)   #8
SILVERS95
Veteran

i wonder if they will do a season ticket , i wouldn't have considered it before , but now i would jump at the chance
Old 12 Apr 2002, 21:04 (Ref:258462)   #9
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I watched Melbourne and Interlagos, but sadly the interactive part wouldn't work over the Interlagos weekend
Old 12 Apr 2002, 21:45 (Ref:258504)   #10
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
hakkiman - interactive wouldn't work ? if it happens again just unplug the box for a few minutes as a lot of static electricity builds up in Digiboxes, or it does on mine.

i'll probably wait till school hols (or study leave) until i get it again as i'd miss a friday of testing !
Old 12 Apr 2002, 21:50 (Ref:258509)   #11
Mr V
Veteran

England
or change the batteries in your remote!

touringlegend.......your not the only 1 to suffer with your digibox, mine has a habit of switching itself off! overuse by the missus i reckon!!
Old 12 Apr 2002, 22:18 (Ref:258523)   #12
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have any of you entered the competition to win the R3? That would be pretty cool.
Old 12 Apr 2002, 22:23 (Ref:258525)   #13
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its brilliant, I like to flick through the options a lot. Lately John Watson has been getting on my **** by keep saying "horses for courses" and "pooshe". I like to watch qualifying with Perry and Damon.

Last edited by Raven; 12 Apr 2002 at 22:24.
Old 13 Apr 2002, 09:29 (Ref:258750)   #14
badoer fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
badoer fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One thing that would improve it (and make me buy it), would be to get F3000 on too (btw, this was LucaBadoer's fab idea, not mine).
Old 13 Apr 2002, 09:40 (Ref:258756)   #15
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Raven
Lately John Watson has been getting on my **** by keep saying "horses for courses" and "pooshe".
and the classic "he's taken to the grass more times than bob marley" any time someone goes off!!
Old 13 Apr 2002, 10:22 (Ref:258789)   #16
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
I wonder if it was because I signed up to watch the Brazilian GP after the first practice (1.1) on Friday.
Old 13 Apr 2002, 10:27 (Ref:258792)   #17
SILVERS95
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by hakkiman
I wonder if it was because I signed up to watch the Brazilian GP after the first practice (1.1) on Friday.
Hakkiman , are you watching it through a sky digibox , or a itv digital system , as i heard from my boss , that its not all avaible through itv digital . They only give the damon hill commentry channel .
Old 13 Apr 2002, 12:41 (Ref:258868)   #18
Mr V
Veteran

England
may i suggest to sky that they put perry maccarthy on the super channel alongside ben edwards!! he is a lot funnier and more interesting to listen to!
Old 13 Apr 2002, 13:07 (Ref:258892)   #19
Ian-S
Racer

Ian-S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by SILVERS95

Hakkiman , are you watching it through a sky digibox , or a itv digital system , as i heard from my boss , that its not all avaible through itv digital . They only give the damon hill commentry channel .
Silvers, could you explain the last bit in more detail, cos I've got ITV Digital (for now) and the only F1 they show is on ITV-1, can't find anything to do with the Digital feeds on there.

Last edited by Ian-S; 13 Apr 2002 at 13:07.
Old 13 Apr 2002, 13:18 (Ref:258903)   #20
SILVERS95
Veteran

Ian , i only know this from a conversation that i had with my boss the other week. I was saying how impressed i was about Skys ppv sevice , and he said that it looked good , but he wished that he could get the proper commentators , and not just Damon and perry . I tryed to explain to him how you use the interactive part on the digi remote control , and he said he didnt have a digibox , only a On Digital ( as it used to be called ) set top box ?????

thats all i know really , as i never questioned it anymore .

i take it that you have done UPDATE CHANNELS on the itv set top box ? , i have got a old set top box downstairs that is plugged in , maybe i should go and update the channels and see if i can get it ?
Old 13 Apr 2002, 13:42 (Ref:258935)   #21
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
I have Sky Digital, but I don't think the interactive service works if you join after the first practice of the weekend.
Old 13 Apr 2002, 14:52 (Ref:259023)   #22
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
is that digital, as in on a digital TV? like those ones that cost the price of a small car but can do anything, or is it just a nteractive channel on analogue TV?

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 13 Apr 2002, 15:29 (Ref:259068)   #23
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
i think you will find that it is a digital set top box which can plug into a anoalog tv . The set top box recieves the digital signals , and then plays them on the analog tv .
Old 13 Apr 2002, 16:06 (Ref:259102)   #24
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
but they still cost s***loads dont they, almost no one has them here

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 13 Apr 2002, 16:46 (Ref:259132)   #25
Reido Rules
Veteran

Reido Rules should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can you actually recieve this service on ITV digital, I heard it was coming but I don't know if it's come. I know a lot of the features are missing but there was gonig to be a lot of the channels, and a text stats service, regularly updated.

Sky people don't get too excited with Ben I hear he's only contracted for 5 races and as he is now contracted to ITV and some BTCC races are clashing soon and ITV are interested in using him for F1 if possible to boost viewers. I think Ben may not be there too much longer. But he could extend his contract.