Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 31 Jul 2018, 18:59 (Ref:3840408)   #16
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Per S365:
Quote:
Despite not appearing on the initial schedule release, Long Beach could be added to the GTS Pirelli World Challenge season, according to WC Vision President and CEO Greg Gill.
Adding Long Beach would depend upon whether GTS teams are interested.

Also Las Vegas is among the options for the GT Grand Finale.
Old 31 Jul 2018, 19:33 (Ref:3840422)   #17
jjvincent
Racer

jjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
Also Las Vegas is among the options for the GT Grand Finale.
If PWC had half a brain, they'd do it in Vegas during the SEMA Show.
Old 15 Aug 2018, 22:00 (Ref:3843895)   #18
cbbrit
Veteran

Jersey
St. Helena, California
cbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some updates for 2019:

https://sportscar365.com/world-chall...ails-revealed/
Old 28 Aug 2018, 00:33 (Ref:3846621)   #19
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
nasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TCR Cup coming http://nasportscar.com/pirelli-world...lass-for-2019/
Old 28 Aug 2018, 14:47 (Ref:3846722)   #20
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very interesting development with the TCR 'Cup' class. In speaking with the FCP guys I know they've been more and more vocal about the BOP between the sequential cars (Honda and Hyundai) and their DSG cars. They jokingly invented their own 'DSG class' at Portland and I guess the series took that and ran with it?

I wonder what a Ryan Eversley type would be able to do with one of the DSG cars, in back to back sessions comparing one to his Honda.

Do we now if DSG Cup will run within the current TCR racers? Class within a class
Old 28 Aug 2018, 16:53 (Ref:3846744)   #21
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
nasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgRS View Post
Very interesting development with the TCR 'Cup' class. In speaking with the FCP guys I know they've been more and more vocal about the BOP between the sequential cars (Honda and Hyundai) and their DSG cars. They jokingly invented their own 'DSG class' at Portland and I guess the series took that and ran with it?

I wonder what a Ryan Eversley type would be able to do with one of the DSG cars, in back to back sessions comparing one to his Honda.

Do we now if DSG Cup will run within the current TCR racers? Class within a class
Pierre Kleinubing took a DSG car and lead a practice session at Utah. There's also Ams with SEQ gearboxes that aren't dominating the DSG cars, so I think the majority of this issue is still a Pro VS Am thing than anything else...but that's just my opinion
Old 28 Aug 2018, 19:10 (Ref:3846760)   #22
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasportscar View Post
Pierre Kleinubing took a DSG car and lead a practice session at Utah. There's also Ams with SEQ gearboxes that aren't dominating the DSG cars, so I think the majority of this issue is still a Pro VS Am thing than anything else...but that's just my opinion

Probably so. I know the VAG TCR cars (and I assume most other makes) are very hard on tires so tire management and managing grip and pace without excessive wear is probably a pretty big component as well.
Old 29 Aug 2018, 20:57 (Ref:3846954)   #23
jjvincent
Racer

jjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was wondering why it took so long for the announcement since there's already a DSG class in Europe. In the end, it comes down to, will PWC just use the Club version of the VW/Audi/Opel for the TCR Club and then the SEQ version for the TCR class? I would guess the answer is "yes". This is good news for VAG because with 2019 being the last year for the current Golf, this will be a way for the Europeans to unload some cheap cars on the US market before they all will be required to go with the Golf 8 in 2020. What I mean by required, is that there will be no support for the 7 come 2020, so nobody will rent it and thus they become a club level car worth 10 cents on the dollar. That'll mean $35K used TCR cars next year.

I am happy to see that there's another class and we have finally got driver rankings for all of the classes except for TCA.
Old 29 Aug 2018, 21:26 (Ref:3846961)   #24
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
I will buy a $35k VW TCR in 2020..if the wife approves
Old 30 Aug 2018, 15:25 (Ref:3847069)   #25
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
I can't see them making the SEQ version of the VAG cars required. The Sadev SEQ trans is easily double the rebuild cost, and requires it twice as often. I think the only reason a lot of the smaller independent teams can afford to run the series is that they can afford the DSG service costs.

The Club sport versions have smaller brakes, no air jacks, less power, and aren't homologated for competition. They're also not much cheaper compared to the TCR DSG version.
Old 31 Aug 2018, 14:30 (Ref:3847240)   #26
cbbrit
Veteran

Jersey
St. Helena, California
cbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More updates from SRO concerning the GT/GTA Class in 2019:

https://sportscar365.com/world-chall...nd-gt3-growth/
Old 4 Sep 2018, 17:56 (Ref:3848177)   #27
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbbrit View Post
More updates from SRO concerning the GT/GTA Class in 2019:

https://sportscar365.com/world-chall...nd-gt3-growth/
I'm pretty hopeful about next season. The series has a good thing going and if they can reach their target of eighteen or more GT3 cars on the grid then it could be absolutely incredible!
Old 5 Sep 2018, 17:12 (Ref:3848346)   #28
cbbrit
Veteran

Jersey
St. Helena, California
GT4-based GTS/GTSA updates:

https://sportscar365.com/world-chall...er-evaluation/
Old 6 Sep 2018, 15:49 (Ref:3848502)   #29
jjvincent
Racer

Any news on what PWC is going to do with the falling car counts? Three years ago they were getting over 100 cars per race and now they are in the 80's. That's a 20% drop in entries. I hope they put out some press releases on how they are going to fix that. Plus GT is not looking so hot as the GT race at the Glen had something like 7 cars running at the end of race 2. 7 cars running around on a 3+mile track is like what you see when 5 teams rent a track for a day and do testing.
Old 6 Sep 2018, 17:05 (Ref:3848511)   #30
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
They've definitely got a problem on their hands. I know they're going to whole SRO route of "our customer is the wealthy sportsman and we don't cater to or look for a fan base", but I don't know that works for the American market. Wealthy sportsman or not, a guy/girl spending a few million wants to be a part of 'the big show' and feel like they're a part of something bigger than an individual. (or at least, I would if it were me).

One of the owners of my shop went up to Watkins and said it was an absolute ghost town when it came to spectators. PWC sent out notifications to all the big car clubs (Audi Club, BMW, Porsche, etc) and offered free weekend passes with free VIP suite passes and even with all that, my boss said when they went to the suite they were two of 3 total people in the room who weren't working the event.

Word from the competitors in TCR is that the whole 'DSG Cup' class is PWCs way of avoiding the BOP issue between the SEQ and DSG cars.