Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7 Aug 2018, 03:37 (Ref:3841979)   #16
jjvincent
Racer
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 337
jjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
GTD sprint cup sounds plausible to. Especially since somebody has until May of next year to get a program organized and funded. That's about 9 months away.
I always like these mini championships within the season when it comes to a pro series. This is a May to September season and it shorter than what most do for SCCA Club. The schedule is interesting. Run two races, get a month off then 5 races in 3 months.

Then for the Enduro guys, it's Jan, Mar, Jun then 3 months to Oct.

Best part is, if you start with PWC Sprint X and get ticked off with the BOP, you can announce you'll switch to IMSA Sprint X. If IMSA Sprint X doesn't work out for it's first race then you can go back to PWC Sprint X.

Too bad IMSA is missing out on Canada's and the US independence days. I guess it makes no sense to do it on the last weekend of June at Mosport or the first weekend of July at Lime Rock. Having the Road Atlanta event the same weekend as the runoffs at VIR was a smooth move too. Everyone knew since the end of January when it was. Having it on the weekend before was not an option for Road Atlanta. Maybe IMSA should have talked to the track owner.
jjvincent is offline  
Quote
Old 7 Aug 2018, 05:00 (Ref:3841984)   #17
broadrun96
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
United States
Posts: 4,268
broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvincent View Post
I always like these mini championships within the season when it comes to a pro series. This is a May to September season and it shorter than what most do for SCCA Club. The schedule is interesting. Run two races, get a month off then 5 races in 3 months.

Then for the Enduro guys, it's Jan, Mar, Jun then 3 months to Oct.

Best part is, if you start with PWC Sprint X and get ticked off with the BOP, you can announce you'll switch to IMSA Sprint X. If IMSA Sprint X doesn't work out for it's first race then you can go back to PWC Sprint X.

Too bad IMSA is missing out on Canada's and the US independence days. I guess it makes no sense to do it on the last weekend of June at Mosport or the first weekend of July at Lime Rock. Having the Road Atlanta event the same weekend as the runoffs at VIR was a smooth move too. Everyone knew since the end of January when it was. Having it on the weekend before was not an option for Road Atlanta. Maybe IMSA should have talked to the track owner.
We get it, you like to think you're funny and sarcasticly but in fact your posts are enough to just drive those of us who are would like to actually TALK about the cars and the series to just tell tenths to F off and def not pay a cent for the same bs I can get on the other sites with less news.

As for the competing with the runoffs? Wow, delusional much. There's ZERO fan impact between the two, if you aren't attending the runoffs are you watching their streaming if there is such a thing? And if you're attending Petit I don't think you're torn between attending the runoffs or Petit. So to say there's any influence shows your bias toward the runoffs and maybe just consider only watching club racing if that matters so much. I have and honestly it's more boring than paint drying in a dark closet
broadrun96 is online now  
__________________
It was fun while it lasted, have enjoyed the people I've met but the measuring contests and arguments over who's more insider and who's smarter has just made it not worth the effort any longer. It should be fun, not work and it's just work to find actual information.
Quote
Old 7 Aug 2018, 15:33 (Ref:3842115)   #18
Coach Ep
Veteran
 
Coach Ep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location:
where the wind comes sweeping down the..
Posts: 3,680
Coach Ep has a real shot at the podium!Coach Ep has a real shot at the podium!Coach Ep has a real shot at the podium!Coach Ep has a real shot at the podium!Coach Ep has a real shot at the podium!
As unfortunate as it is from a corner worker perspective that Petit 2019 and the Runoffs 2019 are scheduled on the same weekend, it's no big deal at all as it might affect only 25 or so corner workers who won't be able to attend them both. No one is gonna reschedule for that.

I don't see a lot of overlap between the two events either but fail to understand why one should choice between Pro and Club racing - both have their charms and between the two there's plenty to enjoy and dislike at the same time.
Coach Ep is offline  
Quote
Old 7 Aug 2018, 15:59 (Ref:3842121)   #19
gsmith2424
Racer
 
gsmith2424's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
United States
Maiden, North Carolina
Posts: 475
gsmith2424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
As unfortunate as it is from a corner worker perspective that Petit 2019 and the Runoffs 2019 are scheduled on the same weekend, it's no big deal at all as it might affect only 25 or so corner workers who won't be able to attend them both. No one is gonna reschedule for that.

I don't see a lot of overlap between the two events either but fail to understand why one should choice between Pro and Club racing - both have their charms and between the two there's plenty to enjoy and dislike at the same time.
The corner worker situation must not be overlooked. VIR has more stations and they usually rotate workers through out the week of the Runoffs so one worker doesn't work everyday. I already know of 4 people other than myself who will be working the Runoffs over PLM and the one lives less than an hour from Road Atlanta. I honestly believe this wouldn't be an issue at all of IMSA allowed the corner workers to do our job which would also help the overall racing too.

Now for the overlap it will depend on the support series running and how many of those drivers are also regular SCCA drivers also. As more than likely PLM will be the finally for any support series. If a driver isn't in the running for a title and has a shot at a Runoffs win they will more than likely go for the Runoffs to save money and have a shot at a Runoffs win.
gsmith2424 is offline  
__________________
Axer is the name and axing is my game.
"Don't Beg For Things, Do It Yourself, Or Else You Won't Get Anything"
NCR/CCR SCCA F&C Pro Races Flagged: 2015 Rolex 24 & PLM; 2016 Rolex 24
Quote
Old 7 Aug 2018, 16:08 (Ref:3842124)   #20
MaskedRacer
Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,461
MaskedRacer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMaskedRacer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've been a sportscar racing fan since the early 1990's and I've never even heard of the "scca runoffs". I'm sure its not a big deal. Schedule for 2019 is just fine. Great that the 2 all GT races are still preserved. I think the sprint cup thing has potential too. Especially with the time teams have to get that program set up still. Maybe the new LMP2 category could have a shorter schedule to help with budgets there. But that is something that can still be adjusted in the next few months.
MaskedRacer is offline  
Quote
Old 7 Aug 2018, 17:03 (Ref:3842135)   #21
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran
 
skycafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
United States
Water on three sides
Posts: 3,430
skycafe has a real shot at the podium!skycafe has a real shot at the podium!skycafe has a real shot at the podium!skycafe has a real shot at the podium!skycafe has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmith2424 View Post
The corner worker situation must not be overlooked. VIR has more stations and they usually rotate workers through out the week of the Runoffs so one worker doesn't work everyday. I already know of 4 people other than myself who will be working the Runoffs over PLM and the one lives less than an hour from Road Atlanta. I honestly believe this wouldn't be an issue at all of IMSA allowed the corner workers to do our job which would also help the overall racing too.

Now for the overlap it will depend on the support series running and how many of those drivers are also regular SCCA drivers also. As more than likely PLM will be the finally for any support series. If a driver isn't in the running for a title and has a shot at a Runoffs win they will more than likely go for the Runoffs to save money and have a shot at a Runoffs win.
At the risk of going too far off topic, can you elaborate on the constraints IMSA has on corner workers?

I agree about the draw on workers and potentially drivers, but also the contingency support people, i.e. tires, brakes, lubricants, electronics, etc.
skycafe is online now  
__________________
You live and learn. At any rate, you live.
Douglas Adams
Quote
Old 7 Aug 2018, 17:19 (Ref:3842138)   #22
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran
 
skycafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
United States
Water on three sides
Posts: 3,430
skycafe has a real shot at the podium!skycafe has a real shot at the podium!skycafe has a real shot at the podium!skycafe has a real shot at the podium!skycafe has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
I've been a sportscar racing fan since the early 1990's and I've never even heard of the "scca runoffs". I'm sure its not a big deal.
Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) National Championships. 26 (?) classes, 600+ cars, each class with their own race over the three day weekend, to decide National Class Champions for each class. Don't dismiss as 'amateur,' as loads of the drivers are very talented and are either trying to work their way up into Professional racing, so they treat racing as their hobby and they maintain normal lives away from the track (I will admit to struggling to come up with a correct phrasing on that..). The corner workers come out of SCCA's programs to train workers to support events around the country, and works to support pro races in each region with their highly trained and accomplished workers--who are not paid and do it for the pleasure of being part of the show, in sun and rain and dust and mud, at their own expense. Petit would be an honor for them to work, but so would the Runoffs, and that the events are the same week and weekend in the same general area may present some challenges with the amount of staff these events require.

Many American pro drivers got their start in SCCA amateur ranks.
skycafe is online now  
__________________
You live and learn. At any rate, you live.
Douglas Adams
Quote
Old 7 Aug 2018, 17:38 (Ref:3842143)   #23
gsmith2424
Racer
 
gsmith2424's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
United States
Maiden, North Carolina
Posts: 475
gsmith2424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
At the risk of going too far off topic, can you elaborate on the constraints IMSA has on corner workers?

I agree about the draw on workers and potentially drivers, but also the contingency support people, i.e. tires, brakes, lubricants, electronics, etc.
Basically we are not allowed to respond to any incident on track and are to be kept behind the wall at all times except between on-track sessions even then its at race controls discretion. Most SCCA races/tracks allow for us to respond and VIR is one of them. One example of this is the GTD Viper fire in 2014 at Sebring. Workers were nearby and were ready to respond but couldn't because of IMSA's rules. The same applies to debris on track when we would have more than enough of a gap to get it but aren't allowed to. Another is that in SCCA is if the car was far enough off track and in a safe area (usually from a mechanical) we would leave the car till the next needed caution in an endurance race or would get the car between on-track sessions. All of these examples are some of the NASCARification of the series to allow for more cautions to allow for closer (i.e. manufactured) racing which is taking the endurance aspect out.
gsmith2424 is offline  
__________________
Axer is the name and axing is my game.
"Don't Beg For Things, Do It Yourself, Or Else You Won't Get Anything"
NCR/CCR SCCA F&C Pro Races Flagged: 2015 Rolex 24 & PLM; 2016 Rolex 24
Quote
Old 7 Aug 2018, 18:08 (Ref:3842154)   #24
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran
 
skycafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
United States
Water on three sides
Posts: 3,430
skycafe has a real shot at the podium!skycafe has a real shot at the podium!skycafe has a real shot at the podium!skycafe has a real shot at the podium!skycafe has a real shot at the podium!
Wow, thanks!
skycafe is online now  
__________________
You live and learn. At any rate, you live.
Douglas Adams
Quote
Old 7 Aug 2018, 22:45 (Ref:3842204)   #25
jjvincent
Racer
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 337
jjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
We get it, you like to think you're funny and sarcasticly but in fact your posts are enough to just drive those of us who are would like to actually TALK about the cars and the series to just tell tenths to F off and def not pay a cent for the same bs I can get on the other sites with less news.

As for the competing with the runoffs? Wow, delusional much. There's ZERO fan impact between the two, if you aren't attending the runoffs are you watching their streaming if there is such a thing? And if you're attending Petit I don't think you're torn between attending the runoffs or Petit. So to say there's any influence shows your bias toward the runoffs and maybe just consider only watching club racing if that matters so much. I have and honestly it's more boring than paint drying in a dark closet
Sorry. So the SCCA Runoffs is just not important at all and it means nothing. It's some rinky dink event that brings in nobody. Thanks for bringing that up and please let all SCCA people know that, They will be happy to hear that.
jjvincent is offline  
Quote
Old 8 Aug 2018, 04:06 (Ref:3842226)   #26
joeb
Race Official
Veteran
 
joeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 10,641
joeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvincent View Post
Sorry. So the SCCA Runoffs is just not important at all and it means nothing. It's some rinky dink event that brings in nobody. Thanks for bringing that up and please let all SCCA people know that, They will be happy to hear that.
thanks for continuing with your posting style which was complained about. Everyone is happy to hear that.
joeb is offline  
Quote
Old 8 Aug 2018, 13:31 (Ref:3842307)   #27
broadrun96
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
United States
Posts: 4,268
broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!
I must have missed the threads on here discussing SSCA runoffs, the articles discussing the on track action, the reviews after?? Or is that you not understanding a relative scale of things. I did not say the SCCA runoffs don't matter, to me they don't and I could not possibly care any less, but that would take you actually reading what I wrote. Instead what I said what in relation to fan impact, show me proof that an appreciable number of fans are sitting at home now deciding between attending the runoffs and Petit, oh wait, is that because you can't because even those post here couldn't tell you a single thing about the run-offs, what's racing or even how it is formatted. Just because something else is bigger doesn't mean the other is useless. It can mean it's not as important to the other's management and frankly I don't think IMSA gives a rat's behind about SCCA nor should they. But if you feel offended that oh no, someone doesn't think your thing is as important, well I can't help you with that at all.
broadrun96 is online now  
__________________
It was fun while it lasted, have enjoyed the people I've met but the measuring contests and arguments over who's more insider and who's smarter has just made it not worth the effort any longer. It should be fun, not work and it's just work to find actual information.
Quote
Old 8 Aug 2018, 14:04 (Ref:3842311)   #28
Coach Ep
Veteran
 
Coach Ep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location:
where the wind comes sweeping down the..
Posts: 3,680
Coach Ep has a real shot at the podium!Coach Ep has a real shot at the podium!Coach Ep has a real shot at the podium!Coach Ep has a real shot at the podium!Coach Ep has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvincent View Post
Sorry. So the SCCA Runoffs is just not important at all and it means nothing. It's some rinky dink event that brings in nobody. Thanks for bringing that up and please let all SCCA people know that, They will be happy to hear that.
Why should IMSA have any considerations for the SCCA Runoffs when deciding their schedule? Club racers? Those with pro ambitions will already be in one of their support series. Corner workers? Been on the bottom of their priority list for quite a while now. Spectators? No one outside SCCA members and racing regulars (crew members, officials, etc.) know such a thing as the Runoffs even exist let alone consider attending.

As much as I like club racing, the 'clash' is a non-issue for IMSA.

Time to get over it and move on.
Coach Ep is offline  
Quote
Old 8 Aug 2018, 16:37 (Ref:3842357)   #29
gsmith2424
Racer
 
gsmith2424's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
United States
Maiden, North Carolina
Posts: 475
gsmith2424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Why should IMSA have any considerations for the SCCA Runoffs when deciding their schedule? Club racers? Those with pro ambitions will already be in one of their support series. Corner workers? Been on the bottom of their priority list for quite a while now. Spectators? No one outside SCCA members and racing regulars (crew members, officials, etc.) know such a thing as the Runoffs even exist let alone consider attending.

As much as I like club racing, the 'clash' is a non-issue for IMSA.

Time to get over it and move on.
It is an issue as IMSA is going to have problems finding people to man all of the positions needed to run the race. This wouldn't be an issue if IMSA got rid of the stance of not allowing the workers to respond to incidents on track. From working Daytona a couple years I can say they use to get a lot of workers from overseas (heck who wouldn't want to get out of Europe for a week during the winter) to work stations but since IMSA has started this policy we are lucky to get 1 or 2 workers from overseas. As I said in another post this policy leads to manufactured racing taking the endurance aspect out of the races. The way Daytona ran this year was one of the best race in a long time because of the lack of cautions.

As for the support series that could be an issue too. I see some drivers being out of contention for any of the support series titles who also run in SCCA and are Runoffs eligible running the Runoffs over the PLM support races. I can bet they would love to have a shot at a title and also save some money while going for that title.
gsmith2424 is offline  
__________________
Axer is the name and axing is my game.
"Don't Beg For Things, Do It Yourself, Or Else You Won't Get Anything"
NCR/CCR SCCA F&C Pro Races Flagged: 2015 Rolex 24 & PLM; 2016 Rolex 24
Quote
Old 8 Aug 2018, 18:31 (Ref:3842376)   #30
Akrapovic
Veteran
 
Akrapovic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Scotland
Posts: 7,221
Akrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Forgive my ignorance on this subject - but the US has so many series and there are clashes every week. Why is it only an issue with SCCA runoffs and IMSA?

The UK found enough corner workers (just) to run ELMS/WEC, British GT and British SuperBikes on the same weekend. In the thousands of miles between SCCA Runoffs and Petit Le Mans, there aren't enough available corner workers to man both?

And whilst I understand the issue IMSA has with allowing corner works on tracks, I don't see why this reduces the number of available workers? Would allowing them on tracks increase worker numbers?

Not arguing - literally do not understand why this is a problem we're discussing.
Akrapovic is online now  
Quote
Reply

Bookmarks




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
State vs State? RRR Australasian Touring Cars. 15 9 Jul 2004 12:52
Vic State Race Series Inc. - The Saga Continues....... Kerb Hopper Australasian Touring Cars. 14 14 May 2004 12:07
Mallala and State Race Series Meetings RaceTime Australasian Touring Cars. 33 14 Feb 2004 09:23
Vic State Race Series RaceTime Australasian Touring Cars. 20 12 Nov 2001 02:53


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 21:32.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Original Website Copyright © 1998-2003 Craig Antil. All Rights Reserved.
Ten-Tenths Motorsport Forums Copyright © 2004-2018 Royalridge Computing. All Rights Reserved.