Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 10 Apr 2009, 12:16 (Ref:2438019)   #126
Mak
Veteran

Mak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would not be cricket if they put someone in 1st rookie session who was quicker than thier paying driver. They must be feeling the need for money, and I always thought the saying was a need for speed.lol
Old 10 Apr 2009, 17:24 (Ref:2438189)   #127
Kebab
Racer

Kebab has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Not being funny but I would have thought that actually running the team properly/professionally and winning would attract more £$£$ and earn more prize money than finding drivers with cash to spend. GBR has been a joke this year, their 'creative accounting' doesn't appear to have helped them at all either.

They are rapidly losing what little credibility they had left ...
Old 10 Apr 2009, 20:42 (Ref:2438300)   #128
Richard B
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
Richard B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Team GB getting rid of Danny, apparently he was driving for free so I can only imagine as has been discussed here Dan Clarke is bringing cash!.
I'm with Strider cheering for Adam Carol, like Danny a super bloke, talented/underrated driver and not a ****** like Dan Clarke
Old 10 Apr 2009, 21:57 (Ref:2438320)   #129
Mak
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebab View Post
Not being funny but I would have thought that actually running the team properly/professionally and winning would attract more £$£$ and earn more prize money than finding drivers with cash to spend. GBR has been a joke this year, their 'creative accounting' doesn't appear to have helped them at all either.

They are rapidly losing what little credibility they had left ...
Sore point with most involved is lack of payment of prise money, not to mention any other payments due from A1
Old 10 Apr 2009, 22:16 (Ref:2438329)   #130
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I'm still confused.com over Clarke having backing. He didn't drive anything professional for two years, he come, (I can agree with you) not very pro run organisation... but for God's sake, Dan Clarke is nowhere near "rich" young Brits with cash from their backers, Chiltons, Walker, Arundell, etc. Does he come up with bigger cash than they would come up?! Looking at the paint of the car, I doubt!!

Good luck Team GB, dunno if Danny drove for free or not, suspect though anyway... but you had chance to look around and sign a quality driver with at least as big budget as Dan's.

Sorry for being a ****, what a waste of seat.
Old 13 Apr 2009, 04:34 (Ref:2439601)   #131
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well that was rather underwhelming, BRING BACK DANNY WATTS.
Old 13 Apr 2009, 09:06 (Ref:2439675)   #132
ASRoma
Rookie

ASRoma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with most of what has been said earlier, the only thing I would say to defend Clarke is that the teams are very unequal now...

GBR is a mess, so are China, RSA and France from what I know...

Ho Pin Tung is not worth being last every weekend...

Zaugg was a race winner in the old car but RSA does not have all the springs because they don't have money to buy them...

Prost was fighting for Pole in Chengdu and Kyalami but since race 2 in Kyalami the car has no brakes anymore and the team can't find the problem...

so I'm not sure about how good was the car that Clarke was driving this weekend...
Old 13 Apr 2009, 10:02 (Ref:2439701)   #133
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A couple of teams seem to be going backwards commercially. South Africa seemed to be one of the better sponsored previously and Ireland seem to have lost sponsorship since last season too. Only to be expected this year I guess but it needs to turn around.

At least GBR are consistent - they never had any!
Old 13 Apr 2009, 10:22 (Ref:2439711)   #134
Mak
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASRoma View Post
I agree with most of what has been said earlier, the only thing I would say to defend Clarke is that the teams are very unequal now...

GBR is a mess, so are China, RSA and France from what I know...

Ho Pin Tung is not worth being last every weekend...

Zaugg was a race winner in the old car but RSA does not have all the springs because they don't have money to buy them...

Prost was fighting for Pole in Chengdu and Kyalami but since race 2 in Kyalami the car has no brakes anymore and the team can't find the problem...

so I'm not sure about how good was the car that Clarke was driving this weekend...
Nonsense, if the can afford to be there they can afford springs.....At any "rate" not having the ideal springs won't effect lap times that much.. (not even tenth) unless the rest of the car is out of balance....More likely the whole insecurity issue is causing problems throughout the series. Bye the way Zaugg has always been up and down..
Old 13 Apr 2009, 16:22 (Ref:2439862)   #135
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3 View Post
Well that was rather underwhelming, BRING BACK DANNY WATTS.
Yep!
Old 13 Apr 2009, 16:31 (Ref:2439867)   #136
Mak
Veteran

Danny main/ Clucas rookie.
Old 13 Apr 2009, 16:33 (Ref:2439868)   #137
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak View Post
Danny main/ Clucas rookie.
Yep again! I might even have to forego my present support for Adam Carroll...
Old 17 Apr 2009, 09:41 (Ref:2442883)   #138
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Woops, did you guys read Autosport?
We're doomed, and Danny won't be back, Robbie won't be back, we'll Team GB be back?
Old 17 Apr 2009, 09:58 (Ref:2442893)   #139
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Yes, the article quotes Tony Teixeira as saying as long as there is A1GP there will be team GBR. So I presume they will be back, however in the shoddy state that they were in at Portimao unfortunately.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 20:07 (Ref:2443277)   #140
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
The Autosport article was very good, because it was the first time something like the whole story has been told, sad though it may be.

You read that Robbie Kerr has still not be paid prize money from the years he was the lead driver and performing well. You wonder if that's because the team hasn't paid him or because the organisers haven't paid the team. Either way, it's not good enough.

Sadly, I see things only going from bad to worse from now on, whatever Tony Teixeira may say.
Old 18 Apr 2009, 02:54 (Ref:2443496)   #141
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
What worries me is that the whole thing depends on Tony Teixeira alone. One day he may wake up and decide that he can do without A1GP, at which moment the whole thing will be gone.
Old 18 Apr 2009, 15:53 (Ref:2443858)   #142
Kebab
Racer

Sounds to me like the whole of A1 is a con/sham ... someone should investigate before more people get burned!
Old 18 Apr 2009, 18:42 (Ref:2443977)   #143
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
in one way or another a1gp has always been a rich man's giant scalextric toy. i'm not sure why all of a sudden people have a different view of it. all the economic issues have done is highlight just how vulnerable it is.
Old 18 Apr 2009, 18:45 (Ref:2443981)   #144
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who is driving for team GBR at Brands?
Old 18 Apr 2009, 19:09 (Ref:2444003)   #145
jc_nl
Racer

Netherlands
Dedemsvaart
jc_nl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is that Autosport article online somewhere? Or is it only in the print version?
Old 19 Apr 2009, 04:25 (Ref:2444294)   #146
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
It was on the autosport website
Old 19 Apr 2009, 06:08 (Ref:2444327)   #147
Kebab
Racer

In the words of Warren Buffet; it is only when the tide goes out that you see who has been swimming naked!

Online article doesn't say about Kerr not being paid for 2 years, etc..
Old 19 Apr 2009, 14:54 (Ref:2444766)   #148
dave not neil
Racer

England
dave not neil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
The Autosport article was very good, because it was the first time something like the whole story has been told, sad though it may be.

You read that Robbie Kerr has still not be paid prize money from the years he was the lead driver and performing well. You wonder if that's because the team hasn't paid him or because the organisers haven't paid the team. Either way, it's not good enough.

Sadly, I see things only going from bad to worse from now on, whatever Tony Teixeira may say.
He isn't the only person to have not been paid the prize money he's owed
Old 20 Apr 2009, 18:03 (Ref:2445727)   #149
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Allegedly, Sky TV paid a very handsome fee to secure the broadcasting rights to A1GP. This revenue flow is pretty much all that keeps A1GP afloat and sadly, once the contract comes up for renewal, the fate of the championship will be sealed one way or another.Don't believe Mr Teixeria is a decent guy helping teams out from his own pocket. He has to supply Sky TV with an agreed package and Team GBR is one of the cars that simply MUST be part of the show.Sky have effective control of this shambolic series and are they likely to sign up for more?
Old 20 Apr 2009, 22:58 (Ref:2445913)   #150
Tyrrell
Rookie

Tyrrell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry Littleman your point is miles from the truth. Sky sealed a new 3 year deal last summer. Sky don't control A1GP - far from it!