Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Nov 2020, 12:06 (Ref:4016142)   #2551
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
All they would need to do is the minimum necessary run off/sand traps and probably reprofile the exit of the last corner as the pit wall seems a bit close to the edge of the track.
Given that Tourism SA and the state government have just terminated the contract to run Supercars in the Adelaide Parklands every year, the idea of them subsidising The Bend (which is almost certainly what would have to happen) to upgrade to FIA Grade 1 standard *and* pay out a gazillion bucks to host F1 is very, very unlikely IMO.
Old 12 Nov 2020, 18:32 (Ref:4016225)   #2552
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Given that Tourism SA and the state government have just terminated the contract to run Supercars in the Adelaide Parklands every year, the idea of them subsidising The Bend (which is almost certainly what would have to happen) to upgrade to FIA Grade 1 standard *and* pay out a gazillion bucks to host F1 is very, very unlikely IMO.
No I appreciate the cost but would Libbo be keen to help Austtalia keep their race being such a popular event?
Old 12 Nov 2020, 22:10 (Ref:4016251)   #2553
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
No I appreciate the cost but would Libbo be keen to help Australia keep their race being such a popular event?
Quite bluntly would any government, at any level in Australia be willing to commit to bringing the F1 circus to Australia in the first half of 2021?
Remember we have the virus down to a virtually zero level of community spread after a tight lockdown period in Victoria and long periods of closed internal borders.
In general the Oz population have been magnificently co-0perative in achieving this and would react very vocally to putting that at risk. Demonstrated by elections run on State border enforcement. Present targets are to get internal borders open by Christmas and SOME International travel by July 2021.
The decision to set up Albert Park would need to be taken before Christmas, and t modify Eastern Creek or the Bend would need about the same timing. Not likely!
Let's write off 2021 and concentrate on making sure that the GP can come back in 2022.
Old 12 Nov 2020, 22:47 (Ref:4016260)   #2554
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
Quite bluntly would any government, at any level in Australia be willing to commit to bringing the F1 circus to Australia in the first half of 2021?
Remember we have the virus down to a virtually zero level of community spread after a tight lockdown period in Victoria and long periods of closed internal borders.
In general the Oz population have been magnificently co-0perative in achieving this and would react very vocally to putting that at risk. Demonstrated by elections run on State border enforcement. Present targets are to get internal borders open by Christmas and SOME International travel by July 2021.
The decision to set up Albert Park would need to be taken before Christmas, and t modify Eastern Creek or the Bend would need about the same timing. Not likely!
Let's write off 2021 and concentrate on making sure that the GP can come back in 2022.
No obviously COVID is the issue for any country but I was thinking perhaps the race could be held later in the year like Adelaide used to.
Old 12 Nov 2020, 23:38 (Ref:4016266)   #2555
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Please move Sochi to late April.
Old 12 Nov 2020, 23:57 (Ref:4016272)   #2556
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
No obviously COVID is the issue for any country but I was thinking perhaps the race could be held later in the year like Adelaide used to.
Put bluntly the politicians would be committing suicide to allow it IMHO, now to running it later in the year. I suspect not as the timing of it fits better domestically. Australia normally takes time for annual holidays earlier in the year and not a lot of people take time off work later on as the cooler weather is not good for swimming, beach activities, fishing and boating etc.

The timing later in the year would push it close to the Bathurst 1000 as well and considering the costs for attending both would be high I think the F1 race attendance would be affected. The 12 hour has been cancelled, the bike race also and they are both in approximately the same time priod of about one to two months so it seems inevitable to me. I would like to see the frantic lobbying going on but that is all hidden of course.

If we have another outbreak it is a done deal to cancel it, without an outbreak it would be a big political risk for the decision makers.
Old 13 Nov 2020, 04:34 (Ref:4016288)   #2557
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There is no way anyone connected with F1 will be allowed in for the event without doing the 14 day hotel quarantine.Australia has had zero or close to cases of community transmission for a while and nothing is worth risking that for.The Indian cricket team and Australian Open tennis players have to do this quarantine.The World Superbike round scheduled for Phillip Island 3 weeks before Albert Park has been cancelled.
2022 back at Albert Park.People suggesting The Bend or anywhere else for a F1 race in Australia are crazy.The Victorian government has a long term contract they are happy with and looking to extend.By the way the organisers have already announced plans to not only resurface the track but modify track layout in the Turns 13-14 area for 2022.
Old 13 Nov 2020, 11:45 (Ref:4016335)   #2558
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
There is no way anyone connected with F1 will be allowed in for the event without doing the 14 day hotel quarantine.Australia has had zero or close to cases of community transmission for a while and nothing is worth risking that for.The Indian cricket team and Australian Open tennis players have to do this quarantine.The World Superbike round scheduled for Phillip Island 3 weeks before Albert Park has been cancelled.
2022 back at Albert Park.People suggesting The Bend or anywhere else for a F1 race in Australia are crazy.The Victorian government has a long term contract they are happy with and looking to extend.By the way the organisers have already announced plans to not only resurface the track but modify track layout in the Turns 13-14 area for 2022.
Going to be a whole bunch of brinkmanship about the government of Victoria having signed a contract for the GP and not holding one, additionally the Government of Victoria will be responsible for its own non performance and be liable for damages.
I think that Liberty may make some money of the non performance.
Old 13 Nov 2020, 13:43 (Ref:4016349)   #2559
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Going to be a whole bunch of brinkmanship about the government of Victoria having signed a contract for the GP and not holding one, additionally the Government of Victoria will be responsible for its own non performance and be liable for damages.
I think that Liberty may make some money of the non performance.
Really?

Seems to me like they are willing to hold the race, it's just the Australian government imposing rules that make it unrealistic for F1 to go there and race.

I can't see Liberty impose any fines on any of the Grand Prix that did not happen in 2020 (Or the FIA or other organizing bodies for WEC, LMS, SRO events that did not take place)
Otherwise the Dutch GP organization would probably be bancrupt before the cars have even turned up. They did not want to hold the race in 2020 without attendance.
Old 13 Nov 2020, 15:02 (Ref:4016363)   #2560
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
If no one connected with F1 will be allowed in for the event, without doing the 14 day hotel quarantine, does that mean the Australian authorities regard the FIA's current COVID-19 protocols as inadequate?

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...rview/4887060/
Old 13 Nov 2020, 15:45 (Ref:4016375)   #2561
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
If no one connected with F1 will be allowed in for the event, without doing the 14 day hotel quarantine, does that mean the Australian authorities regard the FIA's current COVID-19 protocols as inadequate?

Yes. What Australia (and New Zealand) are aiming at is zero community transmissions. That’s an extremely ambitious standard. The way I understand the situation is that the race would happen with the teams etc. all operating while under the quarantine. They stay at certain places, go to track, do race stuff, go back to their hotels. No mixing with the locals.
Old 13 Nov 2020, 20:06 (Ref:4016401)   #2562
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I can’t blame what Oz and NZ are trying to do, but it means a lot of pain for people. That said I would be surprised if there is no Aussie GP next year, even with extra restrictions for them. I would guess they would have a lot of protocols if possible, even if things have picked up slightly. Although it depends a lot on if the F1 race is able to run in March or if they will put it off till later
Old 13 Nov 2020, 22:20 (Ref:4016414)   #2563
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post

Yes.All people coming into Australia even if they are Australian citizens must do 14 days in hotel quarantine under police and military guard.
As has been pointed out most days we have zero community transmission in the entire nation.Compare that with Europe and US and you would realise no risks will be taken that might endanger that.Any politician that signed off on weakening quarantine would be signing their own political death warrant.
Old 13 Nov 2020, 22:32 (Ref:4016418)   #2564
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
Yes. What Australia (and New Zealand) are aiming at is zero community transmissions. That’s an extremely ambitious standard. The way I understand the situation is that the race would happen with the teams etc. all operating while under the quarantine. They stay at certain places, go to track, do race stuff, go back to their hotels. No mixing with the locals.
Doesn’t work like that here.For example the Indian cricket team and Aus Open tennis players can’t compete in the quarantine period.There is only 1 state in Australia that would even allow the cricket team to do limited training under even the strictest protocols during quarantine period.
Compare that to a major Rugby League match here next week where the stadium spectators can be at 100% of 50,000 capacity
It is just not workable.The rest of the world might be ok with the way F1 are doing it but Australia is not.Yes zero transmission is ambitious but we are close to achieving it and no one here wants to risk it.
Old 14 Nov 2020, 00:50 (Ref:4016431)   #2565
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well that might just put the GP next year on the skids. The fact that sportsman from other countries can’t come over to compete just like that is not ideal. It’s almost too much hassle than it’s worth. They’d be really lucky if they were allowed to do anything during that quarantine time

But it’s good Australia is getting back on track. It’s been hard work, but it’ll be worth it in the long run. Although I still having Australia as the last GP next season isn’t the worst idea in the world
Old 16 Nov 2020, 01:39 (Ref:4017146)   #2566
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I can’t blame what Oz and NZ are trying to do, but it means a lot of pain for people. That said I would be surprised if there is no Aussie GP next year, even with extra restrictions for them. I would guess they would have a lot of protocols if possible, even if things have picked up slightly. Although it depends a lot on if the F1 race is able to run in March or if they will put it off till later
As someone who bought tickets for the race in Australia in November 2019, I'm on the Australian Grand Prix Corporation's mailing list for tickets for 2021. Based on the emails I have received, the Corporation is extremely keen to get a race going in March and to have up to 50,000 people attend. The temporary grandstands that are erected for each grand prix will be reconfigured to maximise social distancing (not sure how this will work, but that's just what I've been told).

But it's clear that whether or not any race goes ahead will be completely up to the governments of the day.
Old 16 Nov 2020, 10:45 (Ref:4017199)   #2567
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

It won't happen, unless there's a major climbdown from the relevant local authorities as has already been suggested would likely be needed.

Reckon Sepang will be the substitute and Istanbul will take the Apr 25 slot.
Old 16 Nov 2020, 10:50 (Ref:4017204)   #2568
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Reckon Sepang will be the substitute and Istanbul will take the Apr 25 slot.
Interesting because that's smack in the middle of Ramadan. Whilst Turkey is relatively relaxed. I doubt they'd want to display sporting celebrations during that period.
Old 16 Nov 2020, 22:31 (Ref:4017339)   #2569
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Interesting because that's smack in the middle of Ramadan. Whilst Turkey is relatively relaxed. I doubt they'd want to display sporting celebrations during that period.
That's something I hadn't considered,

However Sepang has featured in March and April in the past. Certainly one of the first 2 or 3 rounds.

Turkey's races were all in August previously.
Old 16 Nov 2020, 23:18 (Ref:4017358)   #2570
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It’s set by the lunar calendar. So they might just tweak the F1 calendar depending on timings.

???
Old 17 Nov 2020, 05:24 (Ref:4017374)   #2571
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Flatline View Post
As someone who bought tickets for the race in Australia in November 2019, I'm on the Australian Grand Prix Corporation's mailing list for tickets for 2021. Based on the emails I have received, the Corporation is extremely keen to get a race going in March and to have up to 50,000 people attend. The temporary grandstands that are erected for each grand prix will be reconfigured to maximise social distancing (not sure how this will work, but that's just what I've been told).

But it's clear that whether or not any race goes ahead will be completely up to the governments of the day.
I got the same emails as I have bought grandstand tickets every year since 1996.
It’s the quarantine requirements I can’t see how they could get around.Aus Open tennis example.Players start arriving to do 2 weeks hotel quarantine from 14 December.Those players will be eligible to play in warm up events which will all be in Melbourne from early January.Players have been told they must start quarantine at least 2 weeks before their first event.Aus Open starts 18 January.Each player is highly restricted about number of support staff they can bring with them as they also have to do the quarantine.Total quarantine bill to be paid by Tennis Australia is $33million.Now tell me again how this will work for F1.
Old 17 Nov 2020, 14:34 (Ref:4017460)   #2572
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Those not in Oz can't appreciate the level to which the Governments both state and federal are willing to got to in an effort to control the virus. I haven't seen my daughter this year because of the state border quarintine issues and some fly in fly out employees have not been home for over six months.
Old 17 Nov 2020, 15:46 (Ref:4017469)   #2573
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
https://www.racefans.net/2020/11/17/...upply-in-2021/
Old 17 Nov 2020, 16:29 (Ref:4017473)   #2574
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
It’s set by the lunar calendar. So they might just tweak the F1 calendar depending on timings.

???
Off topic comment alert
I have to type this or my brain will explode!

Yup. It moves forwards ten days every year. As an aside, I quite enjoy Ramadan in Turkey. It's the period when they bake Pide a special kind of herby flat bread. It comes out as the sun sets.

Thanks for reading, you've been a wonderful audience. Don't forget to try the veal and tip your waitress. We now return you to the topic
Old 18 Nov 2020, 06:06 (Ref:4017596)   #2575
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Another example of how hard Australia goes.In South Australia they have a cluster of 22 cases.Their response is to shut the state down for 6 days.Basically you can’t leave home except for a few essential service type things and nearly all work places are shut.That has happened on less than 24 hours notice.All other states except one have shut their borders to South Australia and that one will follow very soon if cluster grows.The outbreak came out of a failure in the hotel quarantine system as did Victoria's.It appears the cricket test scheduled to start on 17 December might well be moved.All South Australian team cricket players were flown out of the state yesterday.
As I have posted before I can’t see Albert Park happening in 2021.