Closed Thread

Old 30 Mar 2009, 07:20 (Ref:2428712)   #1
welshgal_2006
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
welshgal_2006 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Them and Us.. rescue crews and marshals

This weekend I have heard commetns from drivers and crews alike which have made me slightly worried about a them and us culture amony marshals and rescue crews.
Surely rescue are marshals originally? One comment was 'when I was a marshal' I couldn't believe what i was hearing. I know this discussion has been had and that some people do their best for it not to happen but it seems that others maybe see themselves as an elite group who are no longer marshals?
I thought maybe it could be my viewpoint that was tarnished for some reason, but no, a few driver came down after a run and commented about it, one asking 'Why do the rescue unit not get out of their van and help push the cars, leaving the two girls to do it is not fair when they are sat there doing nothing?'
I wonder if maybe they are just a different group of people who feel they no longer need to marshal or recognise themselves as marshals? I don't know. Maybe it is that marshals don't realise that rescue crews are actually marshals originally. Some people only see rescue crews in their rescue overalls and never in oranges.
BTW I am not having a go at anyone in particular here but generally seeing what other people think.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 08:38 (Ref:2428774)   #2
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whilst I accept your comments and would not condone any 'them and us' culture, remember the point of a rescue unit is rapid response to an emergency situation. If they are out pushing cars they will not be in radio contact nor in their vehicle to respond quickly. We all have different jobs to do on the day, and yes I know it can be frustrating when you're working your whatsits off and others are seemingly sitting around doing nothing or even "inspecting their eyelids" on occasion. Hope this helps.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 09:14 (Ref:2428802)   #3
welshgal_2006
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
Howevere these comments were mad eat an event where it was a return to paddock and there are 2 units avaliable if anything does happen.
It is just embaressing to be asked these questions by drivers, I did in fact ask the drivers to mention it to the rescue crew and they did, although am not too sure the comments were heard.
I do know that they are there to do a job and at a different venue I would not expect them to help and esp not whilst there is a live track, that is a diff matter.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 09:42 (Ref:2428822)   #4
Richard Sneader
Veteran

Scotland
Grays, Essex
Richard Sneader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Clive, I do both Rescue and marshal. There are times we need to be on standby ready to go. However this does work both ways. Last year I was on a unit at an event and saw 2 marshals struggle with a car to move it to a place of safety. As we were legal manned I whent over to help the 2 guys. I was told to go away as I was not a marshal. I did not react but did report it to the Chief Marshal. Dont know the outcome. We are still all marshals and all on the same side. Just doing different skills. Remember a rescue unit can be called for anything at an event on or off track so we do need to be ready to go.
RS
Old 30 Mar 2009, 09:56 (Ref:2428828)   #5
Lord Summerisle
Veteran

England
Lancs
Lord Summerisle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i try to avoid the Rescue unit... especially around Lunch time... just incase i get grabbed and told "play injured" while they try out a new piece of equipment

:hehe:

But, no, if your talking about the rescue unit guys at Loton Park, then they are a good bunch and i havent normally found a 'them and us' culture, and have been out of the van at the top paddock at times helping to push...other times they stay in their van.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 10:35 (Ref:2428859)   #6
Nighthawk
Veteran

United Kingdom
Swindon, Wiltshire
Nighthawk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I must say I have noticed a small amount of a them and us culture.
But most of the rescue units and teams I have had the pleasure of working with are good guys and very helpfull when possible...
Old 30 Mar 2009, 10:57 (Ref:2428878)   #7
Stewie_1
Rookie

Scotland
Scotland
Stewie_1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to say I have never found it to be a "them and us" situation at Knockhill.
The rescue guys and gals are always willing to lend a hand if needed and always make a point of thanking all marshals when they assist or help out at an incident that has required the Rescue unit to be called.

Well done to them for waking up and getting their hands dirty
Old 30 Mar 2009, 11:00 (Ref:2428882)   #8
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think its the same whatever you are, I've had it said to me as a Clerk and as an MSA Steward. Let's just remember we all need each other, without, Competitors, Marshals, Rescue, Scrutineers, Time Keepeers, Clerks, Stewards etc, etc we dont have racing, lets all respect each other whateveer our roles.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 11:08 (Ref:2428889)   #9
Ty Nicholson
Racer

Ty Nicholson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I also undertake both marshal & rescue roles and both @ Knockhill (Leslie's and previously Chicane) and Croft (Hairpin Outside/the Bales and Post 6) the rescue crew always assist, especially when over-manned. On occassion the problem's been keeping the guys reined in and ready to react to a shout!
Old 30 Mar 2009, 11:10 (Ref:2428891)   #10
welshgal_2006
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
I just have to say that I do love our rescue crews that we work with regularly. They are stars xx
Old 30 Mar 2009, 11:27 (Ref:2428902)   #11
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

This thread may be relevant - http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18234

Regards

Jim
Old 30 Mar 2009, 13:55 (Ref:2429009)   #12
welshgal_2006
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
Thanks for that. I am sure I had seena thread about it before xxx
Old 30 Mar 2009, 14:01 (Ref:2429011)   #13
AndyMil
Racer

England
On a hill in Yorkshire!
AndyMil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by welshgal_2006 View Post
I just have to say that I do love our rescue crews that we work with regularly. They are stars xx

Careful, Rescue Dude and Blackx will struggle to get in the van or is that just from the cake!!!
Old 30 Mar 2009, 14:41 (Ref:2429037)   #14
welshgal_2006
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
That is def just from the cake, hence why this year I am not providing them with it... well so far... however, I do seem to think that I may go back on this xxx
Old 30 Mar 2009, 15:56 (Ref:2429086)   #15
Lord Summerisle
Veteran

England
Lancs
Lord Summerisle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
try putting the cake on the back of the cars... then they may come over.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 16:53 (Ref:2429112)   #16
kitcar1
Rookie

England
Southampton
kitcar1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wonder if the same comment would have been made if it was two fellas.

guess no cake for me
Old 30 Mar 2009, 17:51 (Ref:2429159)   #17
NICK ALLISON
Racer

England
london
NICK ALLISON should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its cack.
We are all there to get the job done in safety both for competitors and marshals alike.The rescue teams all started somwhere as a novice and you do whats suits you best and what you are good at and enjoy.
After all we all love the rescue dudes if we , as a marshal need them .
Old 30 Mar 2009, 18:00 (Ref:2429164)   #18
Oscar114
Racer

United Kingdom
Widnes
Oscar114 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have never had any issues with rescue crews at Oulton Park, and good banter during sign-on / lunch / afterwards.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 19:13 (Ref:2429221)   #19
Dunc
Rookie

Scotland
Methil, Fife
Dunc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie_1 View Post
I have to say I have never found it to be a "them and us" situation at Knockhill.
The rescue guys and gals are always willing to lend a hand if needed and always make a point of thanking all marshals when they assist or help out at an incident that has required the Rescue unit to be called.

Well done to them for waking up and getting their hands dirty
Couldn't agree more Stewie but you forgot the most important way they help us at Knockhill. They pick us up at lunchtime and take us back to post after.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 19:38 (Ref:2429247)   #20
welshgal_2006
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Summerisle View Post
try putting the cake on the back of the cars... then they may come over.
aaaahhh good Plan!!!
Old 30 Mar 2009, 20:04 (Ref:2429266)   #21
Red Baron
Racer

United Kingdom
Wiltshire
Red Baron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Welshgal,

It saddens me to hear that you have the opinion that there is (or may be) a 'them and us' culture between rescue crew and marshals. ....and before you say anything, yes we are all marshals; I view 'Rescue' and 'Marshals' as just terminology used to distinguish between the two types of marshal...and...only then when necessary as a figure of speech, not as a form of elitism.

In fact you contradict yourself by referring to rescue as people that no longer feel that they need to marshal.....surely by doing rescue we are marshalling . I no longer marshal on the bank but that is purely becasue I chose to dedicate my time to rescue.

To be honest, I care not what drivers think. We know that we all have our various jobs to do and we all do our best. We (the crew I work with) will definitely help out with track duties if we can....unless it's raining (JOKE!!!)

In fact, we have spent so much time pushing cars and sweeping over the last couple of years that we even considered changing the badges on the back of our overalls to say 'Pushing and Sweeping' as opposed to 'Rescue'.

If we didn't get out of the van to do that sort of thing we'd go mad!!

Rosie
Old 30 Mar 2009, 20:58 (Ref:2429313)   #22
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've not been marshalling that long but the rescue teams have always been helpful whenever I've come into contact with them-whether it's showing me around the van and explaining what they do or helping clear up between sessions.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 22:25 (Ref:2429380)   #23
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
HairyDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At our recent South Mids training day, "them" were kind enough to drive up from Brands for the day to show "us" around the vehicle and it's kit. "They" also let "us" have a go (after a demo) with the cutting kit - looks easy, but precision control is not how I'd describe my attempt!

On behalf of "us" on that training day, I'd like to repeat the thanks to "them" for their very thorough and friendly tour of all their kit - days like that should guarantee that we remain one combined and effective team

Maybe the problem that kicked this thread off was actually down to the driver's perception - I've often wondered why the mechanics don't get a go a driving, maybe it's because they have a different (and equally essential) job to do on the day?
Old 31 Mar 2009, 00:44 (Ref:2429459)   #24
Urgentemente
Racer

United Kingdom
Liverpool,UK
Urgentemente should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In my fairly short (1.5 years ish so far) time as a marshall I've never come across rescue crew acting high & mighty at all. Granted I'm a newbie, and a large % of my time so far has been at my local course in Aintree for Sprints and Trackdays, with a few events at Oulton and one at Silverstone (the Brittcar 24hr last Sept...) ,
In my somewhat inexperienced view I honestly don't have a problem with the rescue guys/gals staying put in-vehicle, they need to be able to react as fast as possible. 95% of my short time as a marshall has been relatively serene and thankfully injury free for both drivers and marshalls, but I was on post 1 at Silverstone when the big smash happened at the start of the 24HR and don't doubt for a second that the quick responses of everyone there , marshals and rescue crew alike made the world of difference for both drivers, especially for Andy Neate.
It would be tragic if a rescue crew were delayed getting to an incident because they were helping out elsewhere - let's face it, no one can predict what's going to happen, or when, otherwise we'd have all the support at an incident site before it happened!
Old 31 Mar 2009, 14:45 (Ref:2429814)   #25
GoGoGadget
Rookie

United Kingdom
At Home !
GoGoGadget should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
Hi Welshgal,

It saddens me to hear that you have the opinion that there is (or may be) a 'them and us' culture between rescue crew and marshals. ....and before you say anything, yes we are all marshals; I view 'Rescue' and 'Marshals' as just terminology used to distinguish between the two types of marshal...and...only then when necessary as a figure of speech, not as a form of elitism.

In fact you contradict yourself by referring to rescue as people that no longer feel that they need to marshal.....surely by doing rescue we are marshalling . I no longer marshal on the bank but that is purely becasue I chose to dedicate my time to rescue.

To be honest, I care not what drivers think. We know that we all have our various jobs to do and we all do our best. We (the crew I work with) will definitely help out with track duties if we can....unless it's raining (JOKE!!!)

In fact, we have spent so much time pushing cars and sweeping over the last couple of years that we even considered changing the badges on the back of our overalls to say 'Pushing and Sweeping' as opposed to 'Rescue'.

If we didn't get out of the van to do that sort of thing we'd go mad!!

Rosie
I thought the reason we got out of the unit was to let our ears have a rest from Alan T's perpetual "Jackanory" & Steve B's unpleasant smelling bottom habits .
PS I'll be "pushing" if you'll be "sweeping Rosie !