Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Mar 2018, 19:03 (Ref:3810697)   #151
davec
Racer

United Kingdom
davec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
Driving through the pitlane was not faster than driving on the track. Vettel still lost about 20 seconds by making that stop.

By driving on the VSC limit Hamilton (and Raikkonen and most others) could not travel the same distance during those 20 seconds that they would have have travelled at racing speed. Hence, he came and Raikkonen came out behind.
True! ignore me, I should not have ideas when drinking Gin.....
Old 25 Mar 2018, 20:26 (Ref:3810717)   #152
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
To prevent a repeat of today's "Lucky" win, shouldn't the pit lane be closed under a VSC ?

I thought the VSC was to prevent drivers gaining an advantage whilst an incident was cleared up ie: Just maintain the race's status quo.

It's clearly an unintended loop hole which makes a mockery of all the racing that's gone on before hand.

I'm an Alonso fan and it worked out just fine for him, but nevertheless the finishing positions were a little hollow for everyone.
Old 25 Mar 2018, 20:50 (Ref:3810723)   #153
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
"crashgate" anyone?

that VSC caused by the Haasrari was very convenient for Vettel and Ferrari
Quote:
a. they have very close ties with Ferrari

b. it's not like they crashed like Piquet jr , hardly any danger
[conspiracy mode] Perhaps if Magnussen had parked a little bit more inconveniently to create a safety car earlier, Grosjean would not have had his 'problem' and might have got a good points finish [/conspiarcy mode]
Old 25 Mar 2018, 20:58 (Ref:3810728)   #154
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman View Post
To prevent a repeat of today's "Lucky" win, shouldn't the pit lane be closed under a VSC ?
Not sure if that's a good solution either.
What would you do then? Let them pit under SC? Or after the Safety Car is gone?

Let's suppose Grosjean stopped together with Raikkonen (i.e. a lap before Hamilton did).
If Hamilton would now have to wait until the SC bunched the field up or until the SC was gone, that would have given a massive advantage to those who had already stopped.
In this case Raikkonen - who was 3rd on the road after his stop, with all others in the top 6 yet to pit.
Old 25 Mar 2018, 21:23 (Ref:3810740)   #155
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
All of the methods for dealing with a problem on track (whether live track, yellow flags, VSC, SC, red flags,...) have a downside. This is the VSC one. However in other situations it is better than the others and race control can’t tell when they make the call. Of course the race control has the impact on the race as a low priority at that point.
Old 25 Mar 2018, 23:02 (Ref:3810751)   #156
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
All of the methods for dealing with a problem on track (whether live track, yellow flags, VSC, SC, red flags,...) have a downside. This is the VSC one. However in other situations it is better than the others and race control can’t tell when they make the call. Of course the race control has the impact on the race as a low priority at that point.
Exactly.

With conventional SC periods, stopping before the SC generally confers a benefit in terms of track position. With a VSC, stopping during the VSC confers a benefit.

Either way, race "neutralisations" have an impact, as do Pace Cars in the USA - swings and roundabouts.
Old 26 Mar 2018, 06:28 (Ref:3810812)   #157
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
"crashgate" anyone?

that VSC caused by the Haasrari was very convenient for Vettel and Ferrari
No, nothing like. Haas did not deliberately put the wheel nuts on improperly. It was 100% a genuine mistake. For both KM's and RG's pitstops. If KM and RG had finished in the positions they were in, there was 22 championship points, and $5'000'000+ in prize money up for grabs. They wouldn't throw that away for Ferrari. Hass did not deliberately sabotage their own race for Ferrari's gain. Period.

However, the call for Romain Grosjean to stop the car immediately where he was, WAS deliberate. Apparently, a quick thinking Haas engineer made the call to the pit wall, and the call was made to RG by his race engineer to stop the car immediately. Nothing wrong with that call you say? Yes sure, the wheel nuts on the left side weren't done up properly, but it did not pose that much of a issue that RG couldn't continue further down the track (the nut cannot come undone once on the spindle anyway) and pull up in a "safer" spot that would not have caused the yellow. Just as Magnussen did earlier.

The radio conversation between RG and his engineer is available. I just hope it is released to the public. Hopefully in the highlights video package(s) that F1 releases a day or two after the GP.
Old 26 Mar 2018, 08:41 (Ref:3810836)   #158
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
At the present time F1 rules insist every car must stop at least once to change tyres.

Therefore I don't understand why a driver who's changed tyres should be potentially penalised. If tyre changing was optional then fair enough.

Surely the driver who's elected to stay out longer should carry all the risk, after all they're the one who's knowingly taking a gamble.

As the rules stand at the moment they can take the gamble with no risk at all.
Old 26 Mar 2018, 08:58 (Ref:3810843)   #159
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
At the present time F1 rules insist every car must stop at least once to change tyres.

Therefore I don't understand why a driver who's changed tyres should be potentially penalised. If tyre changing was optional then fair enough.

Surely the driver who's elected to stay out longer should carry all the risk, after all they're the one who's knowingly taking a gamble.

As the rules stand at the moment they can take the gamble with no risk at all.
That cuts both ways - the driver making the earlier stop for tyres is also taking a gamble on how the race will play out, how long the new tyres on the car will stand up etc.

swings & roundabouts
Old 26 Mar 2018, 09:14 (Ref:3810847)   #160
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Watching the highlights, it's obvious the downforce needs to be cut further, as overtaking is now harder than ever. And an extra DRS zone or more compounds are not the answer.

Ferrari and Vettel cleverly exploiting the VSC to beat Hamilton and Merc, shows the title is not a forgone conclusion. Feel really sorry for both Haas, they both were running in the points, then lost it all due to finger trouble. Hope this isn't a one off pace wise

Great to see Fred back near the front where he belongs, here's to a better season for McLaren
Old 26 Mar 2018, 10:33 (Ref:3810872)   #161
littleman
Veteran

I can certainly understand the manufacturer argument that F1 is an excellent proving ground for current and future road car technology.

This is especially true of engines and probably other mechanical and electrical components.

However, I don't see any evidence to suggest that the highly sophisticated aerodynamics of modern F1 cars plays any worthwhile role in road car applications.

I've never seen a Mercedes, Renault, Ferrari or even a Honda product on the motorway sporting a huge, complicated front wing, barge boards, a rear wing with a DRS device or a blown diffuser.

Clearly then, F1 can get rid of it's aero obsession because it serves no particular purpose outside of the sport and ruins the racing in the process.
Old 26 Mar 2018, 12:16 (Ref:3810906)   #162
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
However, I don't see any evidence to suggest that the highly sophisticated aerodynamics of modern F1 cars plays any worthwhile role in road car applications.

I've never seen a Mercedes, Renault, Ferrari or even a Honda product on the motorway sporting a huge, complicated front wing, barge boards, a rear wing with a DRS device or a blown diffuser.
They may not be huge wings, but complex aero does play a part in modern road cars, and will become even more prevalent as the drive for efficiency continues.

The elements on a road car may be different to those on an F1 car, but the technology and understanding behind those elements can be derived from the track.

Old 26 Mar 2018, 12:44 (Ref:3810918)   #163
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
They may not be huge wings, but complex aero does play a part in modern road cars, and will become even more prevalent as the drive for efficiency continues.

The elements on a road car may be different to those on an F1 car, but the technology and understanding behind those elements can be derived from the track.

Not an expert on this car, but how many of the ducts actually do anything and are not just blanked off fakes?
Old 26 Mar 2018, 14:37 (Ref:3810957)   #164
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Usually though it’s tin tops and sportscars that help develop aero for road cars
Old 26 Mar 2018, 16:56 (Ref:3810994)   #165
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Not an expert on this car, but how many of the ducts actually do anything and are not just blanked off fakes?
Honda have claimed that everything on the front end serves a purpose. The following has been written about the car:

'vents and wings that both increase downforce and create an aerodynamic “air curtain” around the car. The Type R’s air curtain is formed by the front splitter’s winglets that work in conjunction with the fascia’s side vents to channel air around the front wheels and down the sides of the car.'

'Located between the bottom of the front bumper cover and the Type R’s chin spoiler is a pair of hard-to-see vents. These are tasked with channeling cold air to the chunky 13.8-inch front brake discs'

'winglets at the ends of the side sills direct air around the back wheels'
Old 26 Mar 2018, 18:05 (Ref:3811017)   #166
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I know people like to give Romain Grosjean grief for various reasons. But I think this needs to be called out...

https://twitter.com/andrewyee/status/977945393370750981

So clearly the pit guys were gutted to have the same issue (human error) happen for both cars. Especially given that both cars were doing so well. I don't know what exactly Grosjean is telling them, but I assume it boils down to... "Don't worry, we will get them next time".

Richard
Old 26 Mar 2018, 19:54 (Ref:3811072)   #167
Nikki Katz
Racer

Nikki Katz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah good, f1’s back, I needed that extra bit of sleep yesterday
Old 26 Mar 2018, 23:05 (Ref:3811100)   #168
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I know people like to give Romain Grosjean grief for various reasons. But I think this needs to be called out...

So clearly the pit guys were gutted to have the same issue (human error) happen for both cars. Especially given that both cars were doing so well. I don't know what exactly Grosjean is telling them, but I assume it boils down to... "Don't worry, we will get them next time".

Richard
Praiseworthy behavior indeed, someone that knows a bit about team building even when he himself would have been gutted.
Old 27 Mar 2018, 01:42 (Ref:3811124)   #169
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post

Richard
Thanks for sharing. That is great to see. But I'm curious. Was it human error or a faulty gun? It happened to the same wheel on both cars. That seems more like an equipment failure than a human error. Either way, good on grosjean.
Old 27 Mar 2018, 03:39 (Ref:3811137)   #170
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
No, different wheels. One rear, one front.
Old 27 Mar 2018, 06:25 (Ref:3811151)   #171
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Australian GP highlights..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=SONGEiVMygg

Team radio..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sVsKTV_UCo

(unfortunately no Haas radio whatsoever).
Old 27 Mar 2018, 17:34 (Ref:3811302)   #172
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Team radio..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sVsKTV_UCo

(unfortunately no Haas radio whatsoever).
Kimi: Where is my pit board?
Old 29 Mar 2018, 03:46 (Ref:3811666)   #173
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh dear

https://www.motorsportweek.com/joesaward/id/00191

I also have a rhetorical question: what do you think would happen if an F1 technical director became rather "tired and emotional" (as Private Eye used to say) on a flight home from Australia (while in team travel gear), and was to cause trouble on the plane, including making rude remarks about his team principal - to the man himself. I guess such a thing would be a firing offence, wouldn't it?
Old 29 Mar 2018, 10:09 (Ref:3811721)   #174
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
Oh dear

I also have a rhetorical question: what do you think would happen if an F1 technical director became rather "tired and emotional" (as Private Eye used to say) on a flight home from Australia (while in team travel gear), and was to cause trouble on the plane, including making rude remarks about his team principal - to the man himself. I guess such a thing would be a firing offence, wouldn't it?
This is an intriguing piece of gossip, I wonder who/which team it was. Seeing how poorly they did in the race my initial thoughts are that it could be Williams, but then would have expected Paddy Lowe to be more professional than that...
Old 29 Mar 2018, 10:11 (Ref:3811724)   #175
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
Oh dear

Let me guess - there's no actual details beyond that about the supposed incident? Did anything actually happen or is this yet another Saward article that is essentially "I'm an F1 journalist and you're not - you ****ing peasant"?