Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 19 Aug 2022, 18:23 (Ref:4123215)   #1251
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Dont tell me about…

Yes John, I use moutarde a l'ancienne too, you wont be disappointed with it. In our supermarkets you cant buy more than one or may be two bottle of any oil atm. Ma grand mère disait a la guerre comme a la guerre!
I didn't notice the state of cooking oil stocks, but my neighbour does have a lot of tournesols in his garden should there be an emergency!

I've got a full delivery of gas coming next week, which should last at least a year so at least I am safe on that front.

Yes, it is like a war!
Old 20 Aug 2022, 15:00 (Ref:4123269)   #1252
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Your neighbour is lucky, it takes only 2.5 kilos to make a liter of oil. Hope his garden has surveillance arrangements…
Old 20 Aug 2022, 15:08 (Ref:4123271)   #1253
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Your neighbour is lucky, it takes only 2.5 kilos to make a liter of oil. Hope his garden has surveillance arrangements…
Well, he was a gendarme, so quite likely!

Actually there is another patch of them down the road & they are not so well protected.

I tried the Ancient Moutarde - it's rather better than the insipid Dijon stuff but not quite up to Colman's.
Old 20 Aug 2022, 17:21 (Ref:4123281)   #1254
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A bit of the history of Dijon mustard:
https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/2...-dijon-mustard
Old 21 Aug 2022, 09:20 (Ref:4123337)   #1255
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I love this thread. Where else could you learn such a variety of useless information. Dijon Mustard now!

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 21 Aug 2022, 19:14 (Ref:4123355)   #1256
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I love this thread. Where else could you learn such a variety of useless information. Dijon Mustard now!
Old 29 Aug 2022, 17:17 (Ref:4124200)   #1257
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I am sure we spoke about Dijon mustard many many years ago on tenths,
Old 29 Aug 2022, 17:56 (Ref:4124202)   #1258
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Perhaps we should make it a hot topic?
Old 30 Aug 2022, 06:37 (Ref:4124256)   #1259
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It should go with the boiled egg next to your name on Tapatalk.

What is that all about?

Old 30 Aug 2022, 07:02 (Ref:4124258)   #1260
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm not on Tapatalk anymore,I find it clunky, but that's a crown.
Old 30 Aug 2022, 08:21 (Ref:4124263)   #1261
midgetman
Veteran

I was sure it's a boiled egg. Ah well life is full of little disappointments.

Old 30 Aug 2022, 08:33 (Ref:4124266)   #1262
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I was sure it's a boiled egg. Ah well life is full of little disappointments.

...and you really thought you'd cracked that one too!
Old 30 Aug 2022, 14:16 (Ref:4124314)   #1263
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Whilst at the Classic I bumped into an old mate who helped me when I raced a MG Metro. We used his garage to build the engine and prepare the car for racing. Back in the eighties his father died, leaving, among other things, his Healey Tickford, which at the time needed a full restoration. Terry carried out the restoration and completed it in 1993. While doing that he researched the cars built by Healey and received a letter from a lady who recalled her father owning a Tickford and competing with it in the Monte Carlo Rally. The registration of her father's car was ONK 633.
Attached Thumbnails
AD7I4443 copy.jpg  
Old 30 Aug 2022, 14:45 (Ref:4124316)   #1264
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Whilst at the Classic I bumped into an old mate who helped me when I raced a MG Metro. We used his garage to build the engine and prepare the car for racing. Back in the eighties his father died, leaving, among other things, his Healey Tickford, which at the time needed a full restoration. Terry carried out the restoration and completed it in 1993. While doing that he researched the cars built by Healey and received a letter from a lady who recalled her father owning a Tickford and competing with it in the Monte Carlo Rally. The registration of her father's car was ONK 633.
If he is not already aware, your friend may be interested to know that Oxford Diecast make a model of that very car in Monte Carlo Rally trim.
Old 30 Aug 2022, 14:53 (Ref:4124318)   #1265
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Thanks John, I'll let him know.
Old 31 Aug 2022, 09:07 (Ref:4124372)   #1266
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great story, Peter, and a lovely car. Always liked the Healey sports saloons.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 1 Sep 2022, 17:07 (Ref:4124485)   #1267
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just sent the final readings for my Gas and 'leccy use before autumn arrives along with revised "Cap" (Political Dunces for the use of?) next month.

My supplier suggested, as they are obliged to do iirc, that I check ut the tariffs available to me.

The current "Flex" tariff is forecast, at today's rates, to cost us about £3100 for the next 12 months.

The alternative "Fixed" price for 12 months is estimated at £8200. Presumably the "Flex" tarriff with the new quarterly adjustments will result in a similar cost for the year.

Talking to one of SiL's yesterday. He runs a fairly significant bakery business supplying major grocery names. Their current Gas and electricity costs, some of which are still subject to a fixed price deal from back in the old days, are about £1.2 million currently. They estimate that next year the costs, if nothing dramatic happens, will be over £5M. Maybe 6M.

Add in the cost of wheat and other materials and they think the price of bread products is about to double. Before taking the retailer's overheads into account.

Around here there are reports of butchers and (small) bakers shutting up shop. No surprise since many such businesses have probably been on life support for the duration of the pandemic as well.

But what about candlestick makers? Can they find a way to make their products pay as people seek lower costs for light and heat?

What can one cook with a heat pump?

There must be some opportunities somewhere ...
Old 2 Sep 2022, 10:12 (Ref:4124548)   #1268
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Just sent the final readings for my Gas and 'leccy use before autumn arrives along with revised "Cap" (Political Dunces for the use of?) next month.

My supplier suggested, as they are obliged to do iirc, that I check ut the tariffs available to me.

The current "Flex" tariff is forecast, at today's rates, to cost us about £3100 for the next 12 months.

The alternative "Fixed" price for 12 months is estimated at £8200. Presumably the "Flex" tarriff with the new quarterly adjustments will result in a similar cost for the year.

Talking to one of SiL's yesterday. He runs a fairly significant bakery business supplying major grocery names. Their current Gas and electricity costs, some of which are still subject to a fixed price deal from back in the old days, are about £1.2 million currently. They estimate that next year the costs, if nothing dramatic happens, will be over £5M. Maybe 6M.

Add in the cost of wheat and other materials and they think the price of bread products is about to double. Before taking the retailer's overheads into account.

Around here there are reports of butchers and (small) bakers shutting up shop. No surprise since many such businesses have probably been on life support for the duration of the pandemic as well.

But what about candlestick makers? Can they find a way to make their products pay as people seek lower costs for light and heat?

What can one cook with a heat pump?

There must be some opportunities somewhere ...
Although the media won,t , or can,t , admit it , a lot of the price increases for energy came about from a stealth green tax increase at the start of 2021. It is very noticeable that, that is when electricity prices went through the roof , and over a year before the Russian invasion .
But the whole idea is to take a lot more money from the people , and it also hides the obscene amounts of subsidies being paid to renewable energy companies . E G , the London array wind farm , in 2020 produced energy worth £20 million , and was paid an extra £66 million in subsidies .

The higher costs will , they hope ,cut the total electricity use to try to reduce all of the Blackouts that are coming from their insane green net zero policy .
https://thecritic.co.uk/british-ener...-horror-story/
Old 2 Sep 2022, 10:39 (Ref:4124550)   #1269
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
Although the media won,t , or can,t , admit it , a lot of the price increases for energy came about from a stealth green tax increase at the start of 2021. It is very noticeable that, that is when electricity prices went through the roof , and over a year before the Russian invasion .
But the whole idea is to take a lot more money from the people , and it also hides the obscene amounts of subsidies being paid to renewable energy companies . E G , the London array wind farm , in 2020 produced energy worth £20 million , and was paid an extra £66 million in subsidies .

The higher costs will , they hope ,cut the total electricity use to try to reduce all of the Blackouts that are coming from their insane green net zero policy .
I also suspect that the Ukraine ruckus was somewhat expected but never considered as a protracted event. In the event the option to make use of the tenacious Ukrainians to test armaments and (perhaps) tactics and maybe offload some older equipment nearing end-of-life, was too tempting to ignore.

These types of extreme results and fluctuations have almost always arrived with decisions made by The Madness of Crowds after initial "guidance" from their masters.

It occurred to me about a year ago that the "strike price" for the Hinckley Point Nuclear project was starting to look like very good value compared to wholesale market prices. Which was, I think, what Boris might have been clumsily trying to suggest with his kettle buying analogy. Had he understood better than he seems to I'm sure he could have produced a slightly less stupid illustration.

Of course, there is always the possibility that "extreme events" will trigger a clause, whether that clause be in the contract or in some other area of political machinations, that will result in the good work of project price setting being undone in some way.

The next few months have the potential to be some of the most "interesting" in my lifetime.
Old 2 Sep 2022, 11:29 (Ref:4124551)   #1270
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
I also suspect that the Ukraine ruckus was somewhat expected but never considered as a protracted event. In the event the option to make use of the tenacious Ukrainians to test armaments and (perhaps) tactics and maybe offload some older equipment nearing end-of-life, was too tempting to ignore.

These types of extreme results and fluctuations have almost always arrived with decisions made by The Madness of Crowds after initial "guidance" from their masters.

It occurred to me about a year ago that the "strike price" for the Hinckley Point Nuclear project was starting to look like very good value compared to wholesale market prices. Which was, I think, what Boris might have been clumsily trying to suggest with his kettle buying analogy. Had he understood better than he seems to I'm sure he could have produced a slightly less stupid illustration.

Of course, there is always the possibility that "extreme events" will trigger a clause, whether that clause be in the contract or in some other area of political machinations, that will result in the good work of project price setting being undone in some way.

The next few months have the potential to be some of the most "interesting" in my lifetime.
The " Strike Prices " are just a figure they use to try to hide the real costs of renewable generation .
The real price for Hinckley C , updated last month , is £113 per MWh .
Compared to some of the Offshore wind farms of which there are many which are paid £187 per MWh.

But up to 2021 , the cost of coal or gas generation was running at around £30 per MWh.
So , closing a lot of the coal and gas plants , and putting up carbon taxes on the rest , has led to huge increases in the cost of energy and almost certain widescale power cuts for the future .
https://netzerowatch.us4.list-manage...d&e=4961da7cb1
Old 2 Sep 2022, 11:33 (Ref:4124552)   #1271
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
a lot of the price increases for energy came about from a stealth green tax increase at the start of 2021. It is very noticeable that, that is when electricity prices went through the roof , and over a year before the Russian invasion .

January 2019: £1,137
April 2019: £1,254
October 2019: £1,179
April 2020: £1,162
October 2020: £1,042
April 2021: £1,138
October 2021: £1,277
April 2022: £1,971
October 2022: £3,549.

Yes - that increase at the start of 2021 is really noticeable.

Quote:
I see the narrative is being pushed again?

Old 2 Sep 2022, 11:45 (Ref:4124554)   #1272
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

You exaggerate the impact of the green initiatives. A small part of these increases is from that. Not the bit that made it go though he roof. But then I suppose as our future PM said it what are you to believe. A lot of the media did report what she said, but less reality checked it.

“Policy Costs” which mainly includes the green levies and the other things like social schemes.

It is summarized here:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001bl03

And of course investing in something that doesn’t require importing is a good thing long term. Without considering the overall benefit of not burning stuff. Helping keep the vulnerable warm in the winter is good too.

And let’s return to the dig at the media covering all this. Fortunately we have this though:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cr...dern_magazine)
Old 2 Sep 2022, 12:56 (Ref:4124568)   #1273
Tel 911S
Veteran

https://electricalreview.co.uk/2021/...due-to-brexit/

This link shows prices rising through 2021 , but of course , they blame Brexit .
In a way , that has a fraction of truth as the UK left the EU ETS at the end of 2020 and started their own ETS , but with much higher unit costs .

This led to something like 25 odd companies closing down in 2021 as they had promised to supply customers at previous prices , and the increase in generation cost meant that they went out of business .

I have an item from Bloomberg showing how the generation cost had been steady for the previous 10 years or more , but showed large rises through 2021 , but I can,t seem to load it .

As I said though , the media wont seem to tell the truth , and lots of green propaganda will try to blame everything else , but massive increases in electricity costs will hit everybody .

And a little dig at the greens , increases from this coming October will make EVs more expensive on milage costs than an ICE car .
Old 2 Sep 2022, 13:04 (Ref:4124569)   #1274
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
The media won’t tell the truth! Got it.
Old 2 Sep 2022, 13:45 (Ref:4124574)   #1275
Tel 911S
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
The media won’t tell the truth! Got it.
Funnily enough , just read this item .https://www.express.co.uk/comment/ex...sive-Putin-gas

At last someone has started to tell the truth .
Of course , some will say that it is not the most reliable source , but they probably read the Guardian or listen to the BBC. So their sense of reality is not worth even considering .
Closed Thread