Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: What score do you give the first ever Miami Grand Prix?
10 0 0%
9 0 0%
8 0 0%
7 8 19.51%
6 9 21.95%
5 8 19.51%
4 6 14.63%
3 5 12.20%
2 3 7.32%
1 2 4.88%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 9 May 2022, 14:08 (Ref:4109406)   #26
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
The racetrack is perfectly fine. An IndyCar race there would be excellent. it's the F1 cars that made it boring.
Old 9 May 2022, 14:11 (Ref:4109410)   #27
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
The racetrack is perfectly fine. An IndyCar race there would be excellent. it's the F1 cars that made it boring.
The track was designed and delivered by Formula One track designers, Apex Circuit Design, for the Miami Grand Prix. So given that the track was designed specifically for these cars, then the blame for a bad race lies (in part) with the track.
Old 9 May 2022, 14:36 (Ref:4109416)   #28
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
quite a few things soured me to this weekend and must admit i probably wasnt in a position to willingly judge it fairly or objectively.

gave it a generous 3. at best its a work in progress but the actual sitting in the 'regular seat' fans really did seem to enjoy themselves so thats something.
Old 9 May 2022, 15:07 (Ref:4109431)   #29
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
The track was designed and delivered by Formula One track designers, Apex Circuit Design, for the Miami Grand Prix. So given that the track was designed specifically for these cars, then the blame for a bad race lies (in part) with the track.

I would say the blame in part, lies with the track designers, who don't seem to have taken into account the length of the cars, particularly in the tighter sections, which are difficult for the cars to negotiate.
Old 10 May 2022, 00:50 (Ref:4109488)   #30
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Or is it that, despite the regulation changes, the regulations for F1 cars just aren't very good in terms of the racing those regulations produce?
That is true of both artificial circuits and modern road circuits, regardless of circuit changes, development and design. So what is really wrong?
Old 10 May 2022, 09:09 (Ref:4109508)   #31
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
Or is it that, despite the regulation changes, the regulations for F1 cars just aren't very good in terms of the racing those regulations produce?
That is true of both artificial circuits and modern road circuits, regardless of circuit changes, development and design. So what is really wrong?
Driver safety cell, fuel tank size and PU design are all factors that contribute to car design that is difficult to deviate from.
Track design has to consider the cars of 2022 and onwards.
It's a challenge to upgrade existing circuits to match the cars' evolution, but when you have a (almost) blank slate and still design a track that doesn't suit the car - you have your track design wrong.
Old 10 May 2022, 10:52 (Ref:4109519)   #32
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Far too many slow corners and the offline surface was so dirty it meant going offline to overtake was tough. Also track designers still haven't realised that hairpin > Long straight > hairpin, does not generate good overtaking options (without DRS).

Last edited by Sodemo; 10 May 2022 at 10:57.
Old 10 May 2022, 12:44 (Ref:4109545)   #33
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Yep. It's a sad thing when you need a safety car to make a race more entertaining....
Regrettably I have to agree. In the end I gave the race a 7 (I know I'm always generous compared with others) because the beginning and end were good.

Spending all those millions and ending up with a track surface that continually breaks up is pretty pathetic. A fake marina is even more pathetic, especially when Miami has real ones. The over-hype should be an embarrassment to Americans everywhere (though I doubt it is).
Old 11 May 2022, 07:31 (Ref:4109630)   #34
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Driver safety cell, fuel tank size and PU design are all factors that contribute to car design that is difficult to deviate from.
Track design has to consider the cars of 2022 and onwards.
It's a challenge to upgrade existing circuits to match the cars' evolution, but when you have a (almost) blank slate and still design a track that doesn't suit the car - you have your track design wrong.
But was it a blank slate?
Essentially you had a large parking lot around a big stadium, restrictions on the composition of the tarmac you can lay down and then barriers, pits, spectators etc, all in a confined space. Even the helicopter on the overhead shot duty had to operate in a confined space.

My own thoughts are that the new regulations still leave much to be desired and that what we have is not the best solution, or not as good had it could have been.
This isn't pointing the finger at anyone, just a note the the way the sport has evolved and the regulations evolved over those years hasn't been in the best interests of the sport as a spectacle nor a contest between drivers for the WDC.
Old 11 May 2022, 08:39 (Ref:4109636)   #35
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
4 from me this time, not a very good race
Old 11 May 2022, 13:48 (Ref:4109662)   #36
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
But was it a blank slate?
Essentially you had a large parking lot around a big stadium, restrictions on the composition of the tarmac you can lay down and then barriers, pits, spectators etc, all in a confined space. Even the helicopter on the overhead shot duty had to operate in a confined space.

My own thoughts are that the new regulations still leave much to be desired and that what we have is not the best solution, or not as good had it could have been.
This isn't pointing the finger at anyone, just a note the the way the sport has evolved and the regulations evolved over those years hasn't been in the best interests of the sport as a spectacle nor a contest between drivers for the WDC.
I was trying to think what the Miami GP reminded me of and it was the CART Meadowlands GP, which was set up in the parking lots around Giants Stadium and like Meadowlands, Miami is coming in for criticism regarding the track layout. Even a layout change at Meadowlands didn't help, maybe it will for Miami?

My initial reaction on seeing the track, was that someone had thought putting a road course into a parking lot around a football stadium would be a good idea but it didn't work. It neither has the natural terrain of a road course nor the atmosphere of a downtown street race, though there was plenty of hype.