Carlos Sainz 0 0%
Pierre Gasly 0 0%
Yuki Tsunoda 0 0%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22 May 2022, 11:45 (Ref:4110911)   #1
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Driver of the Grand Prix: Spanish Grand Prix 2022

Who do you pick?
Old 22 May 2022, 16:38 (Ref:4110937)   #2
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Who do you pick?
Well not Lewis Hamilton - 1 lap in and he wants to throw the towel in. £1.5 million a race and that’s his attitude? “Save the engine”? Really? How many young drivers would happily drive for free and carry the car on their backs? Time to go
Old 22 May 2022, 18:18 (Ref:4110944)   #3
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Well not Lewis Hamilton - 1 lap in and he wants to throw the towel in. £1.5 million a race and that’s his attitude? “Save the engine”? Really? How many young drivers would happily drive for free and carry the car on their backs? Time to go

Yes, crass and pathetic attitude, making himself, the team and the sport look stupid and of course just how ill judged it was is shown by his result and he was very close to being fourth.
Old 22 May 2022, 18:35 (Ref:4110945)   #4
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Perez. Didn't put a wheel wrong and should have had the win.
Old 22 May 2022, 19:19 (Ref:4110950)   #5
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Russell for a great podium and the good battle with Verstappen.

Other good drives out there as well. Good recovery by Hamilton, Bottas drive well but bad stategy maybe cost him a couple of places. Verstappen rather had the win handed to him, but did all he needed with dodgy DRS.

LeClerc did nothing wong at all. Motor racing is harsh at times.
Old 22 May 2022, 20:07 (Ref:4110952)   #6
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourWheelDrift View Post
Yes, crass and pathetic attitude, making himself, the team and the sport look stupid and of course just how ill judged it was is shown by his result and he was very close to being fourth.
So in a poll about Driver of the race, people still cannot help having a go at LH, Who had the fastest race time, and recovered from the back to almost finish 4th? That LH?

Just gets me how people take what drivers day in the heat of the moment as so much gospel.

Anyway, Russell.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 22 May 2022, 20:20 (Ref:4110955)   #7
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Russell gets my vote great drive and yet again beats Lewis
Old 22 May 2022, 20:21 (Ref:4110956)   #8
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
So in a poll about Driver of the race, people still cannot help having a go at LH, Who had the fastest race time, and recovered from the back to almost finish 4th? That LH?

Just gets me how people take what drivers day in the heat of the moment as so much gospel.

Anyway, Russell.

I've voted Russell too, I hope I'm not now branded as a Hamilton Hater, I think that's the first negative thing I've ever said about him. Good recovery drive but he can't have driver of the day when if he'd had his way he'd only have driven the first two laps.
Old 22 May 2022, 20:30 (Ref:4110959)   #9
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
The point is george beat lewis and he was the only person in the same car as him. to be driver of the day you must beat your team mate
Old 22 May 2022, 20:34 (Ref:4110960)   #10
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourWheelDrift View Post
We've seen this from Lewis before, it seems to be how he processes difficult (or less than ideal situations) - gets a bit "flat" for a while but then picks himself up and gets on with it - when I heard the "let's save the engine" radio call, felt that it was only his usual way of processing the situation and he'd be going hard again soon.

Can't really beat him up for that IMHO - it's just his process.

Oh and George for DOTR for mine - epic work against the two RB cars and really didn't put a foot wrong at any stage.
Old 23 May 2022, 03:30 (Ref:4110967)   #11
Neil22
Veteran

United States
Nor Cal
Neil22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lewis, still the best that ever was. Kudos to Russell and Perez, Max for the win.
Old 23 May 2022, 03:32 (Ref:4110968)   #12
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I voted for Sergio but could easily have voted for George.
Old 23 May 2022, 07:13 (Ref:4110973)   #13
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
The point is george beat lewis and he was the only person in the same car as him. to be driver of the day you must beat your team mate
Not always.
I gave my vote to Leclerc because he had pole and led without making a significant mistake all day.
Old 23 May 2022, 07:20 (Ref:4110975)   #14
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Lando. Very unwell with Tonsilitis but still gets points and theashes Ricciardo once again!
Old 23 May 2022, 07:20 (Ref:4110976)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A toss-up between Hamilton and Russell for me and despite his attitude after the early collision (which sadly just adds fuel for those who really don't want to like him), I vote for Hamilton - a terrific drive from the back. A great drive by Russell too, keeping Verstappen at bay. As for Max, it just shows that the RB is pretty much untouchable to win by that margin with dodgy DRS.
Old 23 May 2022, 07:24 (Ref:4110979)   #16
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
There are many reasons that some would vote for Driver of the GP, and all are free to have their own criteria.
Beating your team mate is one (perfectly) valid criteria someone may choose, but it is not a definitive metric for all voters.

Abu Dhabi 2021 - many people (including yourself) gave their vote to Sergio Pérez despite him finishing behind his team mate. It's not always clear cut.....
Old 23 May 2022, 08:38 (Ref:4110989)   #17
AndreasDavour
Veteran

Sweden
AndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's been interesting to see how people have reasoned in the votes, and I'd add that I love for people to tell us how they think.

Lewis does have a very weird way of motivating himself. For those of us who have been following him knows that he always talks about how the tires are shot, and how things are looking glum, and then goes off and runs purple sectors. It's his way of getting a pat on the head from his engineer, and to make himself dig deeper and plow through. For him it works.
I will readily confess I find him hard to like. He comes across like he's whining and moaning instead of getting things done. But, he always make something spectacular after that whining, and I respect that. But, I'm not a fan because of that attitude of his.

The same thing with Max. He acts like a petulant child, and flails around and drives wildly and talks angrily and threateningly on the radio. I think he sometimes needs to get some time with a drill sergeant that makes him stop being so self centred and arrogant. That being said, he can drive like a dream and has proved he can fight with the best. I respect that skill, but I really dislike the guy.
Old 23 May 2022, 08:44 (Ref:4110992)   #18
AndreasDavour
Veteran

Sweden
AndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Now, as for the driver of the day, there were a few good performances in this race.

Both Alpine drivers did really well, and it was fun to see Alonso move up the field.

Bottas drove a neat but lonely race.

Norris was close to getting my vote as a driver that transcends limitations. But, his race was not that interesting as racing goes.

So, my vote goes to a driver that has an attitude and seriousness to his driving that I like (see above), and that reminds me of Alain Prost, and whose defence was spirited but also very thoughtful. Full points for good racing fun, and for driving intelligently. George Russel gets my vote.
Old 23 May 2022, 13:46 (Ref:4111041)   #19
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
If I had read the post-race interview with Norris before I cast my vote, then he would have got it. Driving an F1 car in that heat, moving significantly forwards from his grid spot and passing and then convincingly beating his teammate - all while feeling very ill is very impressive.
Old 23 May 2022, 15:39 (Ref:4111055)   #20
Metman
Rookie

Metman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Checo's got a wonderful race, deserved to win. Actually impressed by how stable Valtteri is btw.
Old 23 May 2022, 15:50 (Ref:4111059)   #21
AndreasDavour
Veteran

Sweden
Bottas performance kind of typifies him as a driver. He is good, really good, at driving a car that's to his liking and also really good at quickly say what's working on a car and not. He is also not a very good fighter, and he is the totally wrong guy to put on a two stopper or one stopper forcing him to make the tires last. That's not his forte.

He will end up in the top 5 again, definitely!
Old 23 May 2022, 21:32 (Ref:4111090)   #22
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
If that was throwing in the towel, watch out when he's on a charge.

I too felt there were several contenders and only picked Lewis by a narrow margin. I was also mightily impressed by George who is developing from "Mr Sunday" into a very complete package. Our other Brit also acquitted himself well when you consider his circumstances. I even thought about picking Max because he achieved the job they are all there to do, and did it with a slightly lame car.
Old 24 May 2022, 00:03 (Ref:4111100)   #23
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
George is Leclerc 2019ing Lewis
Old 24 May 2022, 07:46 (Ref:4111111)   #24
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Pérez did an excellent job in an excellent car, although unfortunately how excellent it was, we were not permitted to see, as Red Bull denied us seeing Verstappen have to battle him to beat him.

Once Hamilton had got over the initial sensation of frustration at having to drive all of that for potentially nothing, he got his head down and delivered the potential, which was of course, a lot in his hands. Fast and efficient with overtakes, I presume, as it was amazing to see him pass Sainz with no safety cars.

For me, though, it had to be my hero of the race - George Russell. His defense against Verstappen brought a smile to my face. Calm as you like the way he let Max take the inside into Turn 1 and shot back at him in Turn 2. Impressive how he carried that speed around the outside into Turn 1 and manage to keep him at bay. He looked so precise and controlled and even had the car sliding at one point when I suppose the tyres were getting a bit knackered.

It's a pity we missed seeing how close Lewis VS George would have been had it not been for the Magnussen mess-up, but that can wait for another day. For now, it's George's Grand Prix for me.
Old 24 May 2022, 09:00 (Ref:4111120)   #25
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
I cant call one
LH last to 5th in a car that was far from the best
Max or george both of them for that duel.. Yes Max came out on top, but george had a lesser car and was far from shamed.. and was better than LH all weekend
Perez, did all the right things all weekend

Sadly not my Man Dan... Hes in no mans land ... and, unless he suddenly finds the missing ingredient, he has as much future as Scomo (aussie reference).

Im not LHater, but him suggesting they call it a day after his off and having to be told to keep driving is sort of a character assesment. He has history of saying "these tyres are shot" "Your strategy is reason im not further ahead" "you guys cost me a win" etc.
generally after his whinge he turns in some terrific laps, no doubt he can drive, but he does seem to have a bit of a chip and doesnt like to take the blame