Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Sep 2000, 22:42 (Ref:36359)   #1
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From Reuters:

David Coulthard called for Monza to be treated like other race circuits and not be given any special favours in the investigation to follow the tragic Italian Grand Prix on Sunday.

Italian fire marshall Paolo Ghislimberti, 30, was killed when he was struck, probably by a wheel, following a multiple collision on the opening lap of the race.

As Italian magistrates asked for all six cars involved in the pile-up to be held in Italy overnight for investigation, Coulthard backed calls for Monza to be put on trial.
He said the famous old track should not be treated as a special case, and that means the Monza circuit, 20 miles north of Milan, could be closed down or dropped by the Formula One calendar.

'Monza should not be treated as a special case,' Coulthard said. 'The death of the marshall is a really big issue. I think the race should have been stopped, not continued while he lay at the side of the track receiving emergency medical treatment.'

'I think that given how many cars went out nobody would have lost anything if the race had been stopped and re-started.'

He said also that he knew exactly where the marshall was standing because he had moved out of his own safety zone to stand away from the safety barriers.

'I knew where he was standing,' he said. 'He was on the edge of the corner on the right hand side by the barrier.'

'I know at Monza they have kept up the Italian enthusiasm for motor sport, but it cannot be allowed to go on here this way just because it is Italy, while people get fined for it in other countries.'

'There has to be one rule for all, so I have to say that, in these circumstances, the marshall should have been standing further back behind the barrier and not in front of it or beside it as they often are.'

'If you watch the video you will see that coming down to Parabolica some of the marshalls are standing outside the barrier.'

Coulthard added that an invasion of the track by spectators at the end of the race was also wrong and would not be allowed to go unpunished in other countries.

'There should not be a track invasion if Ferrari wins because that also is dangerous,' he said. 'So there should be one rule for all.'
Old 10 Sep 2000, 23:02 (Ref:36365)   #2
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There probably should be an investigation. In most other countries all marshalls stand behind barriers. However, they cannot stop everything.

As for spectators invading the track. Doesn't that happen after every GP. I usually go for a walk around the ciruit after the Canadian GP.
Old 10 Sep 2000, 23:54 (Ref:36372)   #3
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeap Gerard ! I've been trying all day to understand how things really happened. DC seems to be unveiled the truth. I believe for the motorsport sake something must be done...
Old 11 Sep 2000, 00:05 (Ref:36374)   #4
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
If he really was outside the barrier, like many of the other marshalls were during the race, the blame lies squarely upon whoever directs the marshalls.

I am wondering now if Monza has worn out its stay on the Formula 1 circuit.
Old 11 Sep 2000, 00:12 (Ref:36375)   #5
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quite right Jay

I wonder just wonder if DC had won today,if he would be calling for an investigation...This is a sad day of course, and should be taken very seriuosly..But can the powers that be realy stop track marshalls who should know better,from being on the wrong side of the crash barriers in the first place..
Old 11 Sep 2000, 01:54 (Ref:36385)   #6
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
No justification for the poor marshal's death

The marshalls should have been given clear instructions on where to stand, and the area where the marshalls stand should be well protected. Any investigation should also include why the race was not stopped immediately, and an ambulance despatched via the track as quickly as possible to the scene of the accident. Whether DC might have win or not had he escaped the carnage is inconsequential.
Old 11 Sep 2000, 08:35 (Ref:36409)   #7
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In the UK, every morning before we start, we are usually reminded that our first duty is to ourselves, when we marshal. If we are in a position where we get hurt, then we become a hiderance rather than a help.

There are ocasions when you do everything right but people still get hurt, but if you weren't looking after yourself, then you let everyone down. I haven't seen a relay of the race, so I don't know if what DC said is true, but if it is , then the idividuals have to take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 11 Sep 2000, 18:34 (Ref:36498)   #8
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Monza won't be removed from the calendar, coz it's too important for F1. Perhaps there should be stricter rules about where and where not marshals are allowed to stand, but as Marshal said (and he should know), each individual also must take responsibility for his/her own actions.

Doesn't make yesterday's tragedy any less tragic though
Old 11 Sep 2000, 18:52 (Ref:36510)   #9
kuchi
Veteran

Colombia
Bogota, Colombia
kuchi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think DC unveiled important safety items that F1 must have in mind. If he´s right when saying that he saw the marshall out of the safety barrier, then something wasn´t in order. Wether the marshall was on the wrong place, or he got the wrong orders.
Old 11 Sep 2000, 18:59 (Ref:36515)   #10
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
I do have to agree with him that certain circuits should stopped getting special treatment. If Monza or Monaco asked to host a GP, and they had not previously run races, the FIA would just laugh at them.