Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 31 Jul 2005, 12:05 (Ref:1368167)   #1
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Craig Gore goes Global?

Interesting news item from the Crash Net site.
""Commitment to the Atlantic Series is the latest piece in the puzzle
for Team Australia's programme, which will incorporate six different
categories, racing in eight different countries, on four different continents next year

The total programme will be exposed to a live
audience of ten million fans, a TV viewing audience of more than 1.4
billion and produce a minimum of between five and six hours of branded
viewing. The full programme, including cars and drivers, is expected
to take a total investment of almost $20million and will be officially
launched in September"
Old 31 Jul 2005, 12:40 (Ref:1368184)   #2
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

A small hint from the other Gore thread
here

Quote:
Mr Gores sponshorship portfolio for next year includes:-

A v8 supercar team
A Champ Car team
A Toyota Atlantic team
A Formula BMW team

Quote:
Visa card is to make an appearence on some of Mr Gores stable around the world......maybe he is right...there is money in motorsport???

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 31 Jul 2005, 22:28 (Ref:1368584)   #3
Robert Ryan
Veteran

What is the eight different countries, on four different continents next year
Old 31 Jul 2005, 23:34 (Ref:1368636)   #4
lookleft
Racer

lookleft should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've got:
Austraila (V8 Supercars / Champcar)
N.Z. (V8 Supercars)
U.S.A (Champcar)
Canada (Champcar)
Mexico (Champcar)
China (V8 Supercars / Champcar)
South Korea (Champcar)

Missing one - either too early on Monday, I missed an official announcement about Bahrain or the Formula BMW runs somewhere seperate.

Not a bad coverage, especially getting associated with VISA on a world stage.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 02:32 (Ref:1368693)   #5
Seton Fanatic
Racer

Seton Fanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Formula BMW runs in Europe, so there's the other continent that was missing. Is Gore putting his finger into too many raspberry pies?
Old 1 Aug 2005, 07:00 (Ref:1368759)   #6
lookleft
Racer

It's not his finger in the pie, it's the "company". The one thing that is 100% guaranteed is that Mr. Gore will not go bankrupt if all this turns to crap - that is the nature of the game.

If the companies have the advertising budget and the series reach the right audience then there is no reason to think that it will go pear shaped. Personally I wonder how many home loans / Visa Cards / Investment funds / Wine can be sold to your average motorsport punter, I guess that goes for pet food too. The good thing is that we now have at least 3 new sponsors.... considering HRT Team2 can't even get a sponsor that can't be a bad thing. Do we care if Fish Liquor goes broke?
Old 1 Aug 2005, 14:29 (Ref:1369221)   #7
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am not sure if Mr Gore has officially announced some of the teams for next year. I would be interesting to see the costings for everything that is listed.
.........and wasn't the v8 supercar card tied up with Visa so that must have been successful to carry it on as a sponorship deal.

Interesting times.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 3 Aug 2005, 23:08 (Ref:1371495)   #8
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....

WPS are testing today at the PaperClip with Tagiliani and Marshall joining regular drivers Besnard and Baird. Pairings for the long distance races will be decided in the next couple of weeks.

The Formula Atlantic team will be a 2 car team.....the drivers have not been decided.

Apparently the Visa card sponsorship is being described as a *major link* with Gore's racing empire.

Old 3 Aug 2005, 23:41 (Ref:1371513)   #9
lookleft
Racer

Will be interesting to see how Tagiliani goes. No doubt he will have offers on the table from other CC teams but hopefully we will have 2 Aussies in Team Aus next year.
Old 4 Aug 2005, 01:42 (Ref:1371559)   #10
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I hate to see motorsport in the next 5 years, everything wil be sponsored by WPS, Fish Liquor or Aussie Wineyards.
Old 4 Aug 2005, 04:08 (Ref:1371590)   #11
lookleft
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Barton
I hate to see motorsport in the next 5 years, everything wil be sponsored by WPS, Fish Liquor or Aussie Wineyards.
would you prefer 6 Holden teams sponsored by variations of Mobil, HSV, Briante and Bridgestone?
Old 4 Aug 2005, 04:54 (Ref:1371600)   #12
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
It's good to see a sponsor like Visa card get on board.

....and then there is the rumoured link up with LP.

Old 4 Aug 2005, 05:07 (Ref:1371602)   #13
James63
Veteran

Australia
Q
James63 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Reality check. Sponsors keep motorsport going, without them we'd all be up the creek. Mr Gore's $$$$ are doing wonders for motorsport at the moment. He has put money towards local motorsport categories like V8 supercars but more importantly the smaller ones such as Aussie racing cars and carrera cup. I couldnt care less how many wps logos we see, wouldnt even mind see Channel WPS
Old 4 Aug 2005, 08:50 (Ref:1371709)   #14
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
The WPS test day might be covered on Sports Tonight as it made the news in Qld.

Old 4 Aug 2005, 12:15 (Ref:1371860)   #15
Skippy1976
Rookie

Skippy1976 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It made fox sports early news. No mention of lap times though. MM commented on the massive breaking distances compared to what he has been driving lately.

Tags was saying he had to be careful not to over-drive the cars as it was quite easy to do.

Interesting to note they had the enduro drivers pairings listed on the windows

Bessy/Tags

Baird/Marshall

I know its quite easy to change a few stickers around, but i would expect the #1 pairing to be Baird and Marshall given MM has quite a fair bit more experience in a V8SC.

Tags and MM were in full team Aus apparel including caps which i thought might have whacked WPS ones on for a bit more exposure
Old 7 Aug 2005, 00:53 (Ref:1374063)   #16
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
Tags apparently was 2.5 seconds off the pace at the paperclip but did improve later in the day.............and he is expressing an interest in driving a supercar fulltime when champcar duties finish.

Looks like Tags and Bezzy will combine.

Old 7 Aug 2005, 00:58 (Ref:1374064)   #17
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think that Tags might get Bezzy's seat next year. Because Mr Gore is disappionted with Besnard's performance.
Old 7 Aug 2005, 05:18 (Ref:1374101)   #18
mitchie
Racer

Australia
mitchie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think that Tags might get Bezzy's seat next year. Because Mr Gore is disappionted with Besnard's performance.
You really think Tagliani would give up a Champ Car ride to replace Besnard?
Old 7 Aug 2005, 05:28 (Ref:1374102)   #19
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No.
Old 7 Aug 2005, 05:50 (Ref:1374104)   #20
kramer
Racer

kramer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder if a revolving door makes it easier to change drivers at a pit stop?

Kramer
Old 7 Aug 2005, 06:07 (Ref:1374110)   #21
mitchie
Racer

Australia
mitchie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
No.
Exactly.
Old 7 Aug 2005, 06:35 (Ref:1374111)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So what is the rationale behind bringing 2 V8Supercar-inexperienced drivers into the share drives with the 2 lead drivers?

Sure Mr Tagliani's involvement is good for the sport, for the enduro races, for the spotters of Mrs Tagliani... but fundamentally it is a large step from one discipline to the other, on foreign circuits (Sandown and Bathurst) where you cant have any testing... where you also wont get to run with 33 other maniacs on the same circuit at any one point.

Arguably it is like the "Paul Newman to Bathurst' stories of the much lamented ARDC Bathurst mythology....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 7 Aug 2005, 06:44 (Ref:1374113)   #23
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Except GTR Magic this somewhat farcical situation is going to be played out , unlike the mythical "Paul Newman" and his many supposed appearances at the Mountain.
Old 7 Aug 2005, 07:35 (Ref:1374123)   #24
lookleft
Racer

So is it the collective thought that Tags will let Besnard down or is it the other way around?
Old 7 Aug 2005, 08:02 (Ref:1374131)   #25
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ryan
Except GTR Magic this somewhat farcical situation is going to be played out , unlike the mythical "Paul Newman" and his many supposed appearances at the Mountain.
Of course... I wish the team and drivers well, but it is a very very different way to do things.... as well has burning one of the six test days playing these guys in....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookleft
So is it the collective thought that Tags will let Besnard down or is it the other way around?
It depends... it is likely Mr Besnard is by now realising the enduros will have him driving for his career (unless Mr Murray has a 2006 seat already confirmed) so it may be hell for leather to get the so-far-recalcitrant cars up the grid in some sessions to show the world he still has the speed....

But the 2nd driver will likely make the enduro assault uncompetitive... which may see a rush of blood from the lead driver in the #48 car, and over drive it to make up the time lost... with not so positive consequences.

As I said, I would like to see them all work together swimmingly and competitively... but wouldnt like to put any money on that outcome....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House