Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 9 Apr 2001, 20:44 (Ref:79034)   #1
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok try and work this out.

Tim Harvey will be qualifying in the GTs on Saturday and racing Sunday at Snetterton. At the same time he will be qualifying at Brands in the Alfa.

Ummmm - can't quite see how.

The Alfa has it's first run out tomorrow.
Old 9 Apr 2001, 20:46 (Ref:79035)   #2
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Cool! Harvey, Soper, who next ? Hoy ? Cleland ?

I had a feeling he might just get his arse in that car... and i'd not be all that surprised if he didn't bother with Snett...
Old 9 Apr 2001, 21:16 (Ref:79042)   #3
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nice one Can we have Cleland next please
What time are races / qualifying at Brands and Snetterton? Would it be feasible for him to helicopter between both? I seem to recall on of the GT drivers doing something at Castle Combe (?) last year and then heading up to Donington by helicopter to do the GT race.
Old 9 Apr 2001, 21:29 (Ref:79046)   #4
Jimbob!
Rookie

Jimbob! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was Julian Bailey. He was in the FIA GT Race at Donington and when he finished his stint he helicoptered to Croft to take part in the national series. It was cool and I was there! LOL :-)
Old 9 Apr 2001, 21:29 (Ref:79047)   #5
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
He isn't going to manage it.
BTCT qualifying 15:15 to 15:45
GT race 16:15

Don't think even a helicopter would do it.

Mind you I didn't think the second car was going to be ready but if it is he could always start from the back of the grid. With the rules as they are this year that will be still infront of the production cars. In that case it would only be a couple of slots down (wash my mouth out!)
Old 9 Apr 2001, 21:30 (Ref:79050)   #6
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
It was Mike Jordan who did TVR Tuscans @ Castle Coombe then GT's @ Donington, and won both as I recall. He had the advantage that the TVR race was on fairly early in the day.

Brands Hatch
10.00-10:45 BTC Touring free practice
12.00-12:45 BTC Touring free practice
15.15-15:45 BTC Touring qualifying

Snetterton
15.45-16:45 British GT Championship race

Not looking likely is it.

Then again will JSM even have 2 cars ready by then ?
Old 9 Apr 2001, 21:43 (Ref:79058)   #7
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I would have prefered to see Malkin in the Alfa and I hope they find a decent replacement for him.
Old 9 Apr 2001, 21:49 (Ref:79061)   #8
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks Redshoes. Couldn't remember who it was, but had a feeling they'd won both races.
So, what are the chances of our Mr Harvey doing a full season BTCC? Surely if he was in any way serious about the GT Championship then he wouldn't be doing this.
Old 9 Apr 2001, 22:08 (Ref:79074)   #9
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Would they give me the drive in the alfa?
I could do with some more experience, but hey im young and willing to give anything a try!
Old 10 Apr 2001, 19:53 (Ref:79312)   #10
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
It seems our Tim wants to drive both for the whole year - sponsors required!!!!

Well that is going to be fun.

On a more serious note - Alfa wasn't out again - still waiting for parts - this is not on. I reckon Mr West should weight penalise the others so that Alfa and Lexus can at least try and catch up!
Old 11 Apr 2001, 14:36 (Ref:79490)   #11
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
The plot thickens- according to Motorsport News today, JS are expected to name the permanent replacement driver today, and Darren Malkin is working on a deal to be oyut in the BTCC later in the season in-

a third (BTC-Touring) JS Alfa

Confused? Join the club....

Personally I'd be surprised if Tim Harvey would do the full season in the Alfa and give up his existing GT programme- if he's got any ambition left as a driver, I can't see how he'd want to give up a drive that's good enough to win races in favour of one that probably isn't going to be good enough to win anything for some time. If he can do both drives without one impinging on the other, then he may well do so.
Old 11 Apr 2001, 21:59 (Ref:79643)   #12
petrolhead_old
Rookie

petrolhead_old should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No please tell me it's not true, not harvey as well as soper, good job there not team mates or the vauxhall boys would be needing bigger rear view mirrors, the man's an animal, oh no that was soper wasn't it, Doh
Old 12 Apr 2001, 00:53 (Ref:79703)   #13
SPOONERBORO
Veteran

United Kingdom
UK
SPOONERBORO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
despite being overweight, old, craggy and well **** tv presenter i would like to welcome him back to the series because despite him being all of the above he is a jolly good driver and an ex champ which counts for more than people give these ex champs credit for - shame its not for rest of season.
Old 12 Apr 2001, 11:59 (Ref:79787)   #14
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
What Autosport are saying is that he'll qualify the Alfa (the session ends at 3.45), and then dash to Snetterton to take the second stint in the Viper in the GT race (which starts at 4.30, but team-mate Rob Wilson will start) by my reckoning he'll need to be there between 4.50-5.10pm to make the pit-stop 'window'- should be fun.

Funnily enough, there's a lot of it about this weekend- Fellow GT driver Ian McKellar may be doing the same on Saturday to dash from qualifying a Marcos at Snetterton to race in the ELMS race at Donington in RML's new Saleen S7....
Old 14 Apr 2001, 21:48 (Ref:80517)   #15
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Spoke to Tim today (well done on another double pole for Hayles Racing).

Dave should have been testing his Alfa today and Tim's should be built by tomorrow!! He will then try it out in the morning session before leaving for Snetterton. He'll use Monday as a test for it so don't expect anything.

As for who will be driving it the rest of the year - his smile went from ear to ear and the comment went on the lines of 'you know me......'