Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6 Mar 2019, 20:45 (Ref:3888771)   #46
ravenull
Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Brazil
Brazil
Posts: 4
ravenull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottypinthemix View Post
You're certainly not crazy to consider this.
Have you looked into flying out of New York to Orlando and getting a car there? The drive from Orlando to Sebring is a couple hours on a bad day.
Just a thought so you can maximize your time at the track vs. travel time.
I can't speak on how easy/difficult it will be getting in and parking on Saturday morning if that's what ends up happening because I always get there quite early on Wednesday.
Regardless, you should do it no matter what!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
I second what scottyp said. See about getting a cheap ticket from NYC to Orlando on JetBlue or someone. Maybe you'll even get there in time for some of the WEC race on Friday? And then the party on Friday night.

I have driven into the facility on a Saturday morning and the traffic does get pretty bad. The one time I did it the traffic was backed up onto the highway that goes into town.
Thanks a lot, guys! I am considering taking a flight on friday, that would be very cool ("party" was the magic word, really hahaha). What is considered a 'cheap ticket' from NYC to Orlando? I'm finding prices from $180 to $260 (JetBlue/Spirit).
ravenull is offline  
Quote
Old 7 Mar 2019, 13:15 (Ref:3888912)   #47
broadrun96
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
United States
Posts: 4,489
broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenull View Post
Thanks a lot, guys! I am considering taking a flight on friday, that would be very cool ("party" was the magic word, really hahaha). What is considered a 'cheap ticket' from NYC to Orlando? I'm finding prices from $180 to $260 (JetBlue/Spirit).
That's the cheap ticket, and probably what you'd spend on fuel getting there. Plus every road on your way south has major cities and construction projects on them so take that 20 hours and add at least 5-10 for traffic delays. By the time you pay for every required to drive the flight will be a savings of time, energy and cash.
broadrun96 is offline  
__________________
It was fun while it lasted, have enjoyed the people I've met but the measuring contests and arguments over who's more insider and who's smarter has just made it not worth the effort any longer. It should be fun, not work and it's just work to find actual information.
Quote
Old 7 Mar 2019, 14:04 (Ref:3888919)   #48
Nickberg555
Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 21
Nickberg555 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
I read that they are setting up a screen somewhere around turn 3 which would be a good spot. If you're on the outside of turns 2-3 (on the midway side of the bridge) you will be outside of Green Park and it will be slightly more peace and quiet.

They also always set up a big screen on the outside of 7 (hairpin) and you could then camp on the inside. This is in Green Park and would be a bit more rowdy. This is also where I camp.
Thanks man! I will arrive on Wednesday night from Europe so I hope there is some space then..
Nickberg555 is offline  
Quote
Old 7 Mar 2019, 17:23 (Ref:3888948)   #49
ravenull
Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Brazil
Brazil
Posts: 4
ravenull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
That's the cheap ticket, and probably what you'd spend on fuel getting there. Plus every road on your way south has major cities and construction projects on them so take that 20 hours and add at least 5-10 for traffic delays. By the time you pay for every required to drive the flight will be a savings of time, energy and cash.
Many thanks for the advice, broadrun. The only downsite is probably that the car trip would be split in two (me and my friend), which makes the plane ticket expensive in comparison. But I will consider this very much, because of traffic delays and energy spent inside a car.
ravenull is offline  
Quote
Old 7 Mar 2019, 19:36 (Ref:3888966)   #50
fieldodreams79
Veteran
 
fieldodreams79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
United States
The Dirty South
Posts: 9,322
fieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Man, I wish I was going but I'll be on a trip with my son again. Reaching that point in my life where I need (and really want) to do "dad" things over better than getting shat canned in Green Park for 4 days. Damnit.

Y'all have fun! I'll be skiing in North Cackalacky! Not a bad 2nd place.
fieldodreams79 is offline  
__________________
"Knowing that it's in you and you never let it out
Is worse than blowing any engine or any wreck you'll ever have."
-Mike Cooley
Quote
Old 7 Mar 2019, 20:43 (Ref:3888988)   #51
broadrun96
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
United States
Posts: 4,489
broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenull View Post
Many thanks for the advice, broadrun. The only downsite is probably that the car trip would be split in two (me and my friend), which makes the plane ticket expensive in comparison. But I will consider this very much, because of traffic delays and energy spent inside a car.
I'm 6'7 and 325 (23 stone/147kg for the weird measurement users) so extended time spent in either is rarely fun but I'll always choose money spent and less time squeezed myself so take my flying advice with that in mind.
broadrun96 is offline  
__________________
It was fun while it lasted, have enjoyed the people I've met but the measuring contests and arguments over who's more insider and who's smarter has just made it not worth the effort any longer. It should be fun, not work and it's just work to find actual information.
Quote
Old 8 Mar 2019, 02:47 (Ref:3889043)   #52
ravenull
Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Brazil
Brazil
Posts: 4
ravenull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
I'm 6'7 and 325 (23 stone/147kg for the weird measurement users) so extended time spent in either is rarely fun but I'll always choose money spent and less time squeezed myself so take my flying advice with that in mind.
The older you grow, truer it gets.

What's your plan to tackle big boy Sebring this year btw? RV with family and friends or what...
And another big question: are there beer vendors inside? Or should we get everything from the city and carry it with us. The beer question is the one keeping me awake hahaha.
ravenull is offline  
Quote
Old 8 Mar 2019, 03:08 (Ref:3889048)   #53
broadrun96
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
United States
Posts: 4,489
broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenull View Post

What's your plan to tackle big boy Sebring this year btw? RV with family and friends or what...
Sadly work and planning for a wedding in May means the first trip to Sebring will be postponed yet another year. Too much local racing in April to take time away, 4 of 5 weekends have racing at Road Atlanta with one weekend at Barber; SVRA with TransAm, Indy @ Barber, off, F3/4, The Mitty(HSR vintage) and then my wedding makes it a busy month and sadly I'm thinking I might not actually get to all of them. Plus a couple rounds of work projects/court cases I have to be available for means I'm stuck in Atlanta until Thurs before Sebring, not enough time to really enjoy the event right so TV it is again this year

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
broadrun96 is offline  
__________________
It was fun while it lasted, have enjoyed the people I've met but the measuring contests and arguments over who's more insider and who's smarter has just made it not worth the effort any longer. It should be fun, not work and it's just work to find actual information.
Quote
Old 8 Mar 2019, 19:33 (Ref:3889215)   #54
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran
 
ATLFalconsFAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
United States
Greenville, SC
Posts: 755
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new lap record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new lap record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new lap record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new lap record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new lap record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenull View Post
The older you grow, truer it gets.

What's your plan to tackle big boy Sebring this year btw? RV with family and friends or what...
And another big question: are there beer vendors inside? Or should we get everything from the city and carry it with us. The beer question is the one keeping me awake hahaha.
Sebring was selling beer the last two years or so. I think you could buy it by the case even. I'm a bit snobby, so I don't drink domestic, but I think I heard they had all the big names and that the mark-up wasn't too bad. I'd be surprised if they weren't still doing it. Besides buying beer, there are also the big bars in the tents. Head out to Green Park and Dan and Sheila's tent, they serve alcohol and it's all sold on a "donation" basis.
ATLFalconsFAN is offline  
Quote
Old Yesterday, 15:38 (Ref:3891861)   #55
Anyopenroad
Racer
 
Join Date: May 2018
European Union
London
Posts: 100
Anyopenroad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAnyopenroad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some thoughts on a great weekend at Sebring, my first time there.

In short: awesome track, somewhat basic facility, pretty merciless for first timers.

Firstly the track itself: fantastic. It's completely flat terrain and viewing is right at track level, indeed in a few places the track is slightly higher than the viewing so you see cars coming head on. There is very little catch fencing and in some places you are very close, really seeing the cars jump and skitter over the concrete bumps.

A lot of the time there is lots of spectator clutter in the background but along some parts there are trees on the other side of the track. I didn't find a way to see the start/finish line or the pits (short of paying $245 for a Gurney terrace seat) and the epic Turn 17 is very hard to access, but for the most part the track was visible and wonderful.

Secondly the facility: pretty basic. Along quite a lot of it the camping/RV area is set back a little from the actual trackside fence, making it easier to walk around and to see. Where there was no such gap people taped off or commandeered areas, which was irritating. The spectator viewing mounds are mostly pretty small and the 'grandstands' are rows of bleachers, some only a few rows but others larger. There was zero shade or shelter from the rain. There were too few toilets and showers. There was very little signage or directions and few staff to ask. The sand got muddy quickly.

Thirdly the newbie experience: pretty merciless. The event is setup for people who have been going for years and are largely self-sufficient in RVs or campers (even bringing their own toilets in some cases). Arriving at 9pm on Thursday night there was only one gate open for passouts, ticket-holders and will-call, hence a 30 min wait. Will Call was one bloke going through an alphabetised folder for ticket envelopes with hand-written names on.

Other than one sign at the gate there was no signs at all to North Paddock, nor any indication that I'd arrived there, nor any clue or help about how or where to park. The only staff member I encountered was the supervisor who told me to move my car or get towed because it was in a 'designated spot'. I had no idea what that meant or how I was supposed to tell or where to go instead. He was a little impatient until I explained that it was my first time there, I had arrived at night in a hire car after a 10-hour flight and a 2-hour drive and that I had no way of knowing any of the stuff he assumed everyone knew.

Sebring run an awesome event and knowing what I know now it will be easier next time. They have no reason to change anything, nor would I want them to. There are, however, some things that could be done to make things a little easier for people arriving for the first time, in a hire car and carrying only what they could fit in aircraft luggage. Mail tickets to overseas addresses (like Infy, Daytona and Laguna Seca do). Open more than one gate rather than be surprised when lots of people arrive. Put up some signs. I'd love to say install some more toilets as well, but that might be a little much!

As always with such visits, the cars and the fans make it awesome. In this case the track is also wonderful. Sebring also can't control the weather (32C in the shade on Friday, pouring rain on Saturday!). But I will admit that this was a tough trip as a first-timer. I'll know more next time (like booking a motel for Saturday night to get a shower and a full night of sleep!).

5,000 photos to sort through now!
Anyopenroad is offline  
__________________
I like taking pictures of cars going round tracks.
Quote
Old Yesterday, 18:40 (Ref:3891888)   #56
broadrun96
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
United States
Posts: 4,489
broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
Some thoughts on a great weekend at Sebring, my first time there.

In short: awesome track, somewhat basic facility, pretty merciless for first timers.

Firstly the track itself: fantastic. It's completely flat terrain and viewing is right at track level, indeed in a few places the track is slightly higher than the viewing so you see cars coming head on. There is very little catch fencing and in some places you are very close, really seeing the cars jump and skitter over the concrete bumps.

A lot of the time there is lots of spectator clutter in the background but along some parts there are trees on the other side of the track. I didn't find a way to see the start/finish line or the pits (short of paying $245 for a Gurney terrace seat) and the epic Turn 17 is very hard to access, but for the most part the track was visible and wonderful.

Secondly the facility: pretty basic. Along quite a lot of it the camping/RV area is set back a little from the actual trackside fence, making it easier to walk around and to see. Where there was no such gap people taped off or commandeered areas, which was irritating. The spectator viewing mounds are mostly pretty small and the 'grandstands' are rows of bleachers, some only a few rows but others larger. There was zero shade or shelter from the rain. There were too few toilets and showers. There was very little signage or directions and few staff to ask. The sand got muddy quickly.

Thirdly the newbie experience: pretty merciless. The event is setup for people who have been going for years and are largely self-sufficient in RVs or campers (even bringing their own toilets in some cases). Arriving at 9pm on Thursday night there was only one gate open for passouts, ticket-holders and will-call, hence a 30 min wait. Will Call was one bloke going through an alphabetised folder for ticket envelopes with hand-written names on.

Other than one sign at the gate there was no signs at all to North Paddock, nor any indication that I'd arrived there, nor any clue or help about how or where to park. The only staff member I encountered was the supervisor who told me to move my car or get towed because it was in a 'designated spot'. I had no idea what that meant or how I was supposed to tell or where to go instead. He was a little impatient until I explained that it was my first time there, I had arrived at night in a hire car after a 10-hour flight and a 2-hour drive and that I had no way of knowing any of the stuff he assumed everyone knew.

Sebring run an awesome event and knowing what I know now it will be easier next time. They have no reason to change anything, nor would I want them to. There are, however, some things that could be done to make things a little easier for people arriving for the first time, in a hire car and carrying only what they could fit in aircraft luggage. Mail tickets to overseas addresses (like Infy, Daytona and Laguna Seca do). Open more than one gate rather than be surprised when lots of people arrive. Put up some signs. I'd love to say install some more toilets as well, but that might be a little much!

As always with such visits, the cars and the fans make it awesome. In this case the track is also wonderful. Sebring also can't control the weather (32C in the shade on Friday, pouring rain on Saturday!). But I will admit that this was a tough trip as a first-timer. I'll know more next time (like booking a motel for Saturday night to get a shower and a full night of sleep!).

5,000 photos to sort through now!
Don't go Road Atlanta, all of that but fewer showers and Georgia red clay instead of sand. You WILL be tan/orange before you leave and you will give every item you bring over to the gods of Road Atlanta.

And yet I give Road Atlanta my money every year, about 600 bucks, and camp out at least twice a year so maybe my judgement may be a little off.
broadrun96 is offline  
__________________
It was fun while it lasted, have enjoyed the people I've met but the measuring contests and arguments over who's more insider and who's smarter has just made it not worth the effort any longer. It should be fun, not work and it's just work to find actual information.
Quote
Old Yesterday, 18:43 (Ref:3891889)   #57
Anyopenroad
Racer
 
Join Date: May 2018
European Union
London
Posts: 100
Anyopenroad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAnyopenroad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Don't go Road Atlanta, all of that but fewer showers and Georgia red clay instead of sand. You WILL be tan/orange before you leave and you will give every item you bring over to the gods of Road Atlanta.
Petit Le Mans is definitely on my bucket list! Watkins Glen as well. I'm ticking off Laguna Seca in two weeks. Learning each time. If I make it to Sebring next year, I'll be much better prepared.
Anyopenroad is offline  
__________________
I like taking pictures of cars going round tracks.
Quote
Old Yesterday, 20:56 (Ref:3891909)   #58
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran
 
skycafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
United States
Water on three sides
Posts: 3,492
skycafe has a real shot at the podium!skycafe has a real shot at the podium!skycafe has a real shot at the podium!skycafe has a real shot at the podium!skycafe has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
As always with such visits, the cars and the fans make it awesome. In this case the track is also wonderful. Sebring also can't control the weather (32C in the shade on Friday, pouring rain on Saturday!). But I will admit that this was a tough trip as a first-timer. I'll know more next time (like booking a motel for Saturday night to get a shower and a full night of sleep!).

5,000 photos to sort through now!
You will have a challenge finding a room even if you started now, and one night would be really tough. The rooms bok years in advance.

Maybe rent a van instead of car, and camp out in that? You would have room, and be off the ground for camping.

As far as toilet facilities...there are a lot of port-o-let blocks set up around the spectator areas, and while not the best, they will do. There are also shower trucks around, where you can shower for a fee.

Glad you enjoyed the experience. Sebring is an amazing place and an amazing experience.
skycafe is offline  
__________________
You live and learn. At any rate, you live.
Douglas Adams
Quote
Old Yesterday, 21:21 (Ref:3891913)   #59
Anyopenroad
Racer
 
Join Date: May 2018
European Union
London
Posts: 100
Anyopenroad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAnyopenroad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
You will have a challenge finding a room even if you started now, and one night would be really tough. The rooms bok years in advance.

Maybe rent a van instead of car, and camp out in that? You would have room, and be off the ground for camping.

As far as toilet facilities...there are a lot of port-o-let blocks set up around the spectator areas, and while not the best, they will do. There are also shower trucks around, where you can shower for a fee.

Glad you enjoyed the experience. Sebring is an amazing place and an amazing experience.
All good advice! I found a motel in Lake Wales at short notice on Saturday, which was fine because it was halfway back to Orlando airport anyway. I'll probably book the same place again, hopefully not being scalped from booking on the day. I had breakfast in a proper American diner as well, grits an' all!

Sleeping in an SUV was fine, I'm thankfully not very tall! And yes ... portaloos (as we call them in the UK) ... fine on day one, best avoided on day three :-)

Please don't anyone think I'm complaining...it's a terrific event and it's up to me to adapt to it, not the event to accommodate me! I'm posting here just to pass on advice for other newbies. This isn't an event for the faint-of-heart.
Anyopenroad is offline  
__________________
I like taking pictures of cars going round tracks.
Quote
Old Yesterday, 22:31 (Ref:3891941)   #60
S griffin
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 6,487
S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!
Well hotels are usually good there and glad you got one close by, as well as enjoying the hospitality. The facilities at US circuits, will vary on different circuits.
S griffin is offline  
__________________
He who dares wins!
He who hesitates is lost!
Quote
Reply

Bookmarks




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2019 VASC Silly Season (WITH POLL) peckstar Australasian Touring Cars. 1416 Today 07:08
IMSA IMSA : 2019 Matt North American Racing 1164 Today 00:08
Sebring 12H + WEC 2019 Coach Ep Marshals Forum 10 7 Nov 2018 15:37
IMSA Race 2019 Sebring Tickets Bill38 North American Racing 16 12 Aug 2018 14:38
Sebring 2019 Bill38 North American Racing 31 7 Jan 2018 14:47


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Original Website Copyright © 1998-2003 Craig Antil. All Rights Reserved.
Ten-Tenths Motorsport Forums Copyright © 2004-2018 Royalridge Computing. All Rights Reserved.