Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Mar 2019, 13:18 (Ref:3889660)   #151
Akrapovic
Veteran
 
Akrapovic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Scotland
Posts: 8,393
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno.UK View Post
Why do rally cars race in forests? Why do drag cars race on drag strips? Why do hillclimb cars go up hills?

Street circuits are where Formula E runs as that's the idea of the series.
I kinda like how simple that is. Good way of putting it.

Hong Kong was indeed a terrible track. But so is Bahrain. Formula E has some good ones too.
Akrapovic is offline  
Quote
Old 11 Mar 2019, 14:59 (Ref:3889678)   #152
RedSquirrel
Racer
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Ireland
Posts: 303
RedSquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
The speed of a car has no relation to whether it can race on a 'proper' track.
Any car could race on a circuit, no matter what speed it has.
The BTCC does not use the full Grand Prix layout at Silverstone because of the speed of the cars, or rather the lack thereof. If they used the full track but kept the same 40-ish minute race distance, the crowd would see the cars less often. So we can conclude that BTCC cars are not suitable for Grand Prix circuits because they are too slow.
Now a Formula E car has 250 kW (335 bhp) and is 900 kg. That's 372 bhp/tonne. Even a Porsche Cup car is at 404 bhp/tonne. Alright, the instant electric torque will offset some of the disparity but still, they're not particularly quick. A WRC car would probably have won Saturday's race.

Then there's the tyres. Michelin and FE say it's for road relevance or something but it's really because the cars are so slow that the braking distances would be tiny on slicks.
And add to this, as you said, the fact that the cars wouldn't be able to last the full race distance at a normal racetrack without the plethora of regen zones in the city circuits.


The next generation of Formula E car I hope might be able to race at the likes of Adria, Nogaro, Croft or maybe the bike version of Val de Vienne. Even Zolder. Around 4 km, tight and with some good hard braking zones.



There is so much potential in Formula E. It's just that the way the championship presents itself puts me off.
RedSquirrel is offline  
Quote
Old 11 Mar 2019, 16:45 (Ref:3889704)   #153
GregUK
Racer
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 193
GregUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSquirrel View Post
And add to this, as you said, the fact that the cars wouldn't be able to last the full race distance at a normal racetrack without the plethora of regen zones in the city circuits.
I agree with all you say, except this.

The only place FE energy comes from is the battery. Every time you swap around between battery (chemical) and kinetic energy, you lose some. Having lots of regen zones means that you also have lots of acceleration zones.
GregUK is online now  
Quote
Old 12 Mar 2019, 21:47 (Ref:3890017)   #154
CaptRustyNail
Racer
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location:
Cheltenham
Posts: 109
CaptRustyNail should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno.UK View Post
Why do rally cars race in forests? Why do drag cars race on drag strips? Why do hillclimb cars go up hills?

Street circuits are where Formula E runs as that's the idea of the series.
Not disputing the fact they race on street circuits for a reason. But is that layout really the best they could have come up with in HK. So tight and narrow that it was like a bumper car race in places?
CaptRustyNail is offline  
Quote
Old 13 Mar 2019, 11:59 (Ref:3890092)   #155
Akrapovic
Veteran
 
Akrapovic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Scotland
Posts: 8,393
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRustyNail View Post
Not disputing the fact they race on street circuits for a reason. But is that layout really the best they could have come up with in HK. So tight and narrow that it was like a bumper car race in places?
I think it's just a crap layout tbh. It's no different to a crap layout at a permanent circuit. Hungaroring or whatever. Arguably street circuits are harder due to existing constraints. Full circuits have no real excuses given they level the ground first.

I'm generally not a Formula E fan (although am enjoying this season, which is great), and I'm certainly not a Formula E apologistic - but Hong Kong was rubbish. The racing was tense (until the final incident), but not good). The layout of the circuit was terrible. I enjoyed Mexico better.
Akrapovic is offline  
Quote
Old 13 Mar 2019, 22:12 (Ref:3890260)   #156
Juntos
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,044
Juntos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I think it's just a crap layout tbh. It's no different to a crap layout at a permanent circuit. Hungaroring or whatever. Arguably street circuits are harder due to existing constraints. Full circuits have no real excuses given they level the ground first.

If you would read one thing or two you would understand why. But people doesn't read nowadays.
Juntos is offline  
Quote
Old 14 Mar 2019, 06:43 (Ref:3890335)   #157
Akrapovic
Veteran
 
Akrapovic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Scotland
Posts: 8,393
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
If you would read one thing or two you would understand why. But people doesn't read nowadays.
If you'd like to enlighten us on what we would be reading and where it could be found, I'm sure we'd all appreciate that. The rest of us have not mastered telepathy and may not read everything you've ever read on the internet.

I hope you never have to ask a question on this forum again - because now the default reply will be "people doesn't [sic] read nowadays".
Akrapovic is offline  
Quote
Old 14 Mar 2019, 13:57 (Ref:3890458)   #158
Juntos
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,044
Juntos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is wise to direct your anger towards problems -- not people; to focus your energies on answers -- not excuses.



Highly recommend you guys to read this article https://e-racing365.com/formula-e/ho...at-crossroads/
Juntos is offline  
Quote
Old 14 Mar 2019, 14:40 (Ref:3890462)   #159
Johno.UK
Racer
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 143
Johno.UK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
It is wise to direct your anger towards problems -- not people; to focus your energies on answers -- not excuses.

Highly recommend you guys to read this article https://e-racing365.com/formula-e/ho...at-crossroads/
Maybe I'm missing something but what in that article explains why the HK track is so narrow compared to the others? That's what people here have been questioning. Not why the race exists in the first place or whether it makes any money.
Johno.UK is offline  
Quote
Old 14 Mar 2019, 16:16 (Ref:3890473)   #160
Akrapovic
Veteran
 
Akrapovic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Scotland
Posts: 8,393
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Nothing in that about the layout of the circuit. Indeed, people doesn't read nowadays.
Akrapovic is offline  
Quote
Old 14 Mar 2019, 16:27 (Ref:3890479)   #161
Juntos
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,044
Juntos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Second try: https://www.scmp.com/sport/motorspor...ront-formula-e
Juntos is offline  
Quote
Old 14 Mar 2019, 19:14 (Ref:3890511)   #162
Akrapovic
Veteran
 
Akrapovic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Scotland
Posts: 8,393
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hm yes, an article posted after the forum posts questioning the layout. We should now predict these articles coming and read them in advance!

Nothing great in the article. "We'd like it to be better. If we can't then maybe we'll move. Maybe. Who knows. Lawl".

It's just a bad track lol. We don't all have a strop every time F1 goes to Barcelona and the race is rubbish lol. FE has some really fun wee circuits as well.
Akrapovic is offline  
Quote
Old 14 Mar 2019, 21:56 (Ref:3890539)   #163
Juntos
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,044
Juntos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
It's just a bad track lol. We don't all have a strop every time F1 goes to Barcelona and the race is rubbish lol. FE has some really fun wee circuits as well.

It is hard to discuss with people that doesn't want to listen. The track is not bad. The track is not rubbish. It is all you can do in the city. Dot.
Juntos is offline  
Quote
Old 14 Mar 2019, 23:58 (Ref:3890560)   #164
Adam43
14th
20KPINAL
 
Adam43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
European Union
New Orleans
Posts: 33,152
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Stop now. This isn’t discussion. /mod
Adam43 is offline  
__________________
Why Don't You Just Switch Off Your Television Set and Go Out and Do Something Less Boring Instead?
Quote
Old 17 Mar 2019, 11:54 (Ref:3891318)   #165
LPP68
Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 38
LPP68 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
It is wise to direct your anger towards problems -- not people; to focus your energies on answers -- not excuses.



Highly recommend you guys to read this article https://e-racing365.com/formula-e/ho...at-crossroads/
Thank you for that link. It opened my eyes for another reason to find a replacement, either inside or outside of Hong Kong. From the article:
Quote:
The number of tickets available for this season’s Hong Kong E-Prix has been cut by 50 percent, according to the race’s director of marketing and communications.

“Last year we had about 6,000 grandstand tickets, this year we cut it by 50 per cent,” confirmed Coffee Pang.

One of the circuit’s largest grandstands, at the Lung Wo Road junction, has been removed as part of the modifications, with the space instead set to be used as the Jaguar I-PACE eTROPHY paddock.
That is a silly low number when you compare it with what is seen in Mexico, Berlin or Rome. Especially when you claim as an organization that the reason to only use city circuits is to 'bring the racing to the people'.

As a sidenote, the marketing director has an awesome name.
LPP68 is offline  
Quote
Reply

Bookmarks




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[Driver] 2018 F1 silly season. F1Guy Formula One 1204 16 Sep 2018 23:44
2017-2018 Formula E Season AoB Special Stage National & International Single Seaters 145 13 Sep 2018 22:05
2018 Super Formula season NSX_LeMans National & International Single Seaters 21 4 Jun 2018 22:04
[BTCC] BTCC 2018 Rumours & Silly Season Racing Harz WTCC & European Touring Car Series 3567 13 Apr 2018 19:07


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:20.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Original Website Copyright © 1998-2003 Craig Antil. All Rights Reserved.
Ten-Tenths Motorsport Forums Copyright © 2004-2018 Royalridge Computing. All Rights Reserved.