Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 17 Feb 2019, 19:52 (Ref:3884890)   #2221
Gerard C
Veteran

Wallis & Futuna
Paris area
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No worry all will be fine, the air cooled engine is a good boy, not really powerful but reliable. In your case there is not much weight to move.
I read that you had to clean your car several times after racing in the wet. I'm quite convinced you can manage to keep the breather away when cleaning but not when driving. Unless you have it in your pocket! Talking in the pocket, enough for now you have laurels waiting for you!
Have fun, be safe and win!!
Old 19 Feb 2019, 08:41 (Ref:3885167)   #2222
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911thillclimber View Post
Still strange the filter was super clean?
Yes, makes you wonder:

Maybe the particles were finer than the filter - unlikely?

Does the oil circulate fully, is there a way it bypasses the filter?

Then where did the particles come from - external or internal source.

If internal what could it be - as you said little ends would seem most likely, in which case it's slightly less critical than crank bearings.

Did wonder if it could it be from the oil pump itself - does that have any brass surfaces? Or similarly distributor drive?

But I'm sure you've already been through these kinds of thoughts.

Even if it's something like crank bearing failure I imagine that given the length of hillclimbs you're unlikely to destroy the engine, more likely to end up with knocking sounds or no oil pressure than internal parts ending up external?
Then the break in the championship could give you time to rebuild it.
Old 19 Feb 2019, 18:22 (Ref:3885373)   #2223
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You are on my page in this Lola Book Peter!
Old 20 Feb 2019, 01:49 (Ref:3885455)   #2224
Gerard C
Veteran

Wallis & Futuna
Paris area
The filter being super clean did you check the drain pan first?
Old 20 Feb 2019, 14:50 (Ref:3885588)   #2225
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, I drain the oil first, put it in a can for the tip, then unscrew the filter using a chain type grip to unscrew the can without puncturing it.
Once free of the engine oil pours out and the empty catch pan is used to catch that flow and the filter that I put in there quick as a flash.

The new filter goes on empty as it is near impossible to fill it on the bench.

The engine is cranked over until good pressure shows on the gauge before switching the ignition and further cranking to fire.

The pressure does not change during this procedure.

Here is the filter set-up, all Porsche 911 from the 993 engine.
Attached Thumbnails
_DSC0060 (1).JPG   _DSC0063 (1).JPG   _DSC0061 (1).JPG  

Old 20 Feb 2019, 15:40 (Ref:3885595)   #2226
Gerard C
Veteran

Wallis & Futuna
Paris area
Impressed. Not many pro do like this. Bravo. Have fun.
Old 11 Mar 2019, 08:16 (Ref:3889598)   #2227
911thillclimber
Veteran

Thank you g.

It is bad when you have a bit of time on your hands and a race car sitting in the garage...
As some will recall, I have been bugged by the gear change quality in the car for years, and when it works it is a surprise at 70 mph, so my intent wondered off to improving it.

The layout is in the diagram below, and the major inefficiency is in the 45 deg short link from UJ2 to UJ3.
1/2 the effort I put into a change is lost in that link, so the effort to select and change gear is quite high and contributes to the quality of the change, negatively.

Tried before but with far more determination was to make a much longer and 'straight' angle between UJ2 and the input shaft of the box right at the end of the car.

After some tedious fabrication and welding and such like against all odds I have managed to sneak the new link just under the one silencer but not hanging down under the belly of the car, vulnerable to attack should I go off-roading in the car (it has happened before...)

All done and painted and my right knee decided to tear a bit of ligament, so stopping all re-assembly!

So we have gone from all ready for the year to the car is not ready for the start.

I've had the knee thing before so some rest is called for and all will be fine.
The Members Practice Day at Loton Park will prove this effort one way or another.
Everything I've done is reversible, so I can go back to the last layout within an hour using a few spanners.
Attached Thumbnails
_DSC0073.JPG  
Old 14 Mar 2019, 14:48 (Ref:3890464)   #2228
911thillclimber
Veteran

Got all the new parts back on the Lola today, shift feels a bit better, not the radical improvement I expected, but difficult to tell in the garage.

Driving will be the real test.

Next step will be a new gear lever that will give far more leverage but that needs a bit more work.

Still have my knee problem, so decided to 'motorise' the trailer, a mover for the axle and a bright new winch.
Could save further damage in the months to come.

I'm getting old!
Attached Thumbnails
_DSC0076.JPG  
Old 15 Mar 2019, 08:56 (Ref:3890623)   #2229
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Would it be possible to fit a 914 gear selector to the gearbox?
Apparently they fit early 911 boxes and would give you a forward facing selector to connect to but no idea how much the boxes have changed over time.
Old 15 Mar 2019, 18:26 (Ref:3890783)   #2230
911thillclimber
Veteran

Hello Peter,
The 914 cars box is quite a different design, and some had a side shift which is a good thought, but the torque of the engine would kill it!
Old 18 Mar 2019, 08:12 (Ref:3891523)   #2231
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911thillclimber View Post
Hello Peter,
The 914 cars box is quite a different design, and some had a side shift which is a good thought, but the torque of the engine would kill it!
Hi
That's what I wasn't sure about - the 914 main casing was apparently a 901 (e.g. early 911) one, but with the forward facing shift.
I guessed they have evolved the 911 gearbox over the years to cope with the increasing power/torque.
Peter
Old 18 Mar 2019, 09:05 (Ref:3891537)   #2232
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
Well it's intriguing looking back at all these different mechanical designs. It makes you think when you see all the different chassis that were used which was best
Old 19 Mar 2019, 21:57 (Ref:3891944)   #2233
911thillclimber
Veteran

Might be called all part of the fun, but a few duff gearchanges in hill climbing and it is 'Hero' to Zero.

It is truly the only bug in the car, the chassis by McClurg's is perfect, engine good and strong, wish it revved to 7800 though, and it is very nice to have.
People occasionally offer money for it, but my immediate response is no, so I must still be in love!

A box that cannot be rushed, I have the same box in my ex hill climb 1973 911, can't rush that either, but with a well defined gear shifter and H pattern it is better.

All I can do is to try to improve it, hence this exercise.
I will find out if my demon tweek is good or simply another 'demon'

A swop of drivetrain to a modern Porsche Boxster would kill several birds with one big stone. That box has a cable shift and is very good and fast too.

To make things worse, I am lucky enough to have a Boxster so I know what it could be!
7800 red line, bags of torque, fuel injection, big clutch, but...
Not air cooled!
Old 19 Mar 2019, 22:26 (Ref:3891953)   #2234
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
Good luck with it, hope it goes well for you, you’ve got a good car there
Old 30 Mar 2019, 16:37 (Ref:3894297)   #2235
911thillclimber
Veteran

Luck ran out!
Found out last week I had forgotten to enter the Member's Practice Day....
Over subscribed, I had no chance to get in, so went to see who and what was there today.

Surprise was this car could be in my class this year, a Pilbeam MP42, HART engine and a very experienced driver.
Ran Loton hill today in 55 secs, my best is 56.
Also have a Metro 6R4 V6 turbo, a real one....

Might not get the Trophy this year. Time will tell.
Attached Thumbnails
_DSC0036.JPG