Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 27 Jan 2019, 15:27 (Ref:3879725)   #2491
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
What I meant was early as in two piece rear seal and crank balanced or late as in one piece seal and flywheel balanced not the later LS and LT versions from around 95 onward
OK tim, I see what you mean. Not the LS and LT versions.

My existing engine is a two piece seal, but, and please excuse my ignorance on this matter, I think the one piece seal blocks are more or less identical to the earlier ones and are acceptable.
Old 27 Jan 2019, 17:41 (Ref:3879899)   #2492
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt917 View Post
OK tim, I see what you mean. Not the LS and LT versions.

My existing engine is a two piece seal, but, and please excuse my ignorance on this matter, I think the one piece seal blocks are more or less identical to the earlier ones and are acceptable.
I probably know no more than you but I believe the later 1 piece seal blocks have a different casting for the rear seal, dipstick on right (looking from rear) and different crank casting with no balance weight.
I just found this Graham https://roadcraftuk.co.uk/index.php?...product_id=771

Last edited by Tim Falce; 27 Jan 2019 at 18:49.
Old 27 Jan 2019, 19:07 (Ref:3879970)   #2493
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I probably know no more than you but I believe the later 1 piece seal blocks have a different casting for the rear seal, dipstick on right (looking from rear) and different crank casting with no balance weight.
I just found this Graham https://roadcraftuk.co.uk/index.php?...product_id=771
Thanks Tim.

I shall call them tomorrow.
Old 27 Jan 2019, 19:53 (Ref:3880018)   #2494
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Let me know how you get on with them as i might be in the market for a crate engine from them
Old 28 Jan 2019, 16:59 (Ref:3880225)   #2495
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
Quote:
Let me know how you get on with them as i might be in the market for a crate engine from them
Tim,

spoke with them this afternoon. Polite and helpful, but suprised at their lack of FIA compatability knowledge. I would have thought that engine people with their reputation would have their fingers on the pulse for the historic side of the V8 world.

Certainly they will be able to do a crate engine for you, but they do NOT do any of their own machining. It is all outsourced, and crate engines will come from the US.

They can do me a new 1 piece seal block, but were unable to give me any advice as to whether or not the older, but later, oil seal block is acceptable for FIA.
Old 28 Jan 2019, 17:22 (Ref:3880232)   #2496
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Tim,

spoke with them this afternoon. Polite and helpful, but suprised at their lack of FIA compatability knowledge. I would have thought that engine people with their reputation would have their fingers on the pulse for the historic side of the V8 world.

Certainly they will be able to do a crate engine for you, but they do NOT do any of their own machining. It is all outsourced, and crate engines will come from the US.

They can do me a new 1 piece seal block, but were unable to give me any advice as to whether or not the older, but later, oil seal block is acceptable for FIA.
They wouldn't know, they mainly supply to the kit car and rodders market. You need to find out yourself what's compatible and go from there.
Old 28 Jan 2019, 19:46 (Ref:3880264)   #2497
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Graham,

Is there any constraint that leads you avoid the existing regular V8 builders supplying the Historic teams? (Other than cost maybe?)

I would imagine they know what is and is not acceptable.
Old 29 Jan 2019, 19:06 (Ref:3880490)   #2498
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Graham,

Is there any constraint that leads you avoid the existing regular V8 builders supplying the Historic teams? (Other than cost maybe?)

I would imagine they know what is and is not acceptable.
Grant,

there is just one constraint .. 36,000 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 29 Jan 2019, 21:24 (Ref:3880511)   #2499
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Grant,

there is just one constraint …….. 36,000 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hmm,

That much eh?

Is that starting price or the full kit and caboodle?

BTW, some years back the son of a pal of mine built a Cobra kit car and imported a new Chevvy engine from one of the better known suppliers on the East Coast USA.

They got it installed and running and drove it to the testing centre to obtain it road legality cert.

The tester couldn't get a reading out one of the exhausts, which puzzled everyone. So they drove it back again and eventually decided to take the rocker cover off on that bank only to discover that, basically, none of the push rods were doing anything.

Apparently it still felt quite quick ...

He took the opportunity to upgrade the rods and the rockers and as far as I am aware it passed the test at the second attempt.

Quite how they had not spotted the problem before heading for the test was not clear to me but I lost touch before I had the opportunity to ask the question face to face.
Old 30 Jan 2019, 00:01 (Ref:3880534)   #2500
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
Quote:
Hmm,

That much eh?

Is that starting price or the full kit and caboodle?

BTW, some years back the son of a pal of mine built a Cobra kit car and imported a new Chevvy engine from one of the better known suppliers on the East Coast USA.

They got it installed and running and drove it to the testing centre to obtain it road legality cert.

The tester couldn't get a reading out one of the exhausts, which puzzled everyone. So they drove it back again and eventually decided to take the rocker cover off on that bank only to discover that, basically, none of the push rods were doing anything.

Apparently it still felt quite quick ...

He took the opportunity to upgrade the rods and the rockers and as far as I am aware it passed the test at the second attempt.

Quite how they had not spotted the problem before heading for the test was not clear to me but I lost touch before I had the opportunity to ask the question face to face.
That,s a great story.
I can easily get a Chevy V8, both here and the US, but they will not be period FIA acceptable. My Lola T70 mk3B is being built up for HTP standard and as such things are going to be "big bucks". That price is for a complete engine, to 5ltr period spec.
Old 30 Jan 2019, 10:51 (Ref:3880638)   #2501
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

I know of a T70 that was brought in from the USA last year.

"Original" chassis.

Existing engine was 7ltr so that had to go. New engine obtained.

Loads of history ... but the the chassis was deemed to have been adapted from, iirc, a Canam car. So no papers could be issued. Unless a new tub was used.

I think there were some problems with the original transmission as well so that has either been rebuilt entirely or replaced. Not sure which at the moment.

I can't help thinking that it would have been better to build a new car from scratch and leave the original with the provenance that it had and it's life in the sun in CA. And with its, now sold off, 7ltr engine.
Old 30 Jan 2019, 14:42 (Ref:3880679)   #2502
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
Quote:
I know of a T70 that was brought in from the USA last year.

"Original" chassis.

Existing engine was 7ltr so that had to go. New engine obtained.

Loads of history ... but the the chassis was deemed to have been adapted from, iirc, a Canam car. So no papers could be issued. Unless a new tub was used.

I think there were some problems with the original transmission as well so that has either been rebuilt entirely or replaced. Not sure which at the moment.

I can't help thinking that it would have been better to build a new car from scratch and leave the original with the provenance that it had and it's life in the sun in CA. And with its, now sold off, 7ltr engine.
Yes I know all about that one. They were told not to buy it, and then told how much it was going to cost to build up a new chassis with all the right parts, etc, etc, etc.

As for the engine, 5 ltr it has to be, and even my existing 350 cu would have to be stroked down. The gearbox HAS to be a Hewland LG 500 or LG600.

Last edited by gt917; 30 Jan 2019 at 14:44. Reason: add to conversation