Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Mar 2019, 17:11 (Ref:3889935)   #241
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ferrari have altered their livery, prior to Melbourne. I think it looks a lot better without that Mission Winnow logo, stuck on all the available space.

Old 12 Mar 2019, 20:45 (Ref:3889982)   #242
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!
Well it makes no difference. Sponsorship or not itís still red
Old 12 Mar 2019, 21:01 (Ref:3889999)   #243
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
i have to say i really really like the matte red they are using this year!
Old 13 Mar 2019, 00:07 (Ref:3890024)   #244
Adam43
14th
20KPINAL

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I miss the tic tac logos.
Old 13 Mar 2019, 00:17 (Ref:3890025)   #245
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I miss the tic tac logos.
A hint of the green the Italian flag.
Old 13 Mar 2019, 19:32 (Ref:3890208)   #246
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post

Static analysis has fewer variables, so it's easier to perform. This leaves room for that magical intuitive insights that can occur within the human brain and define genius. This makes up for the fact that teams can't model everything due to restrictions of either funding or the rules (such as CFD and tunnel limits). Given enough time and money the cars could be accurately modeled via CFD as the fluid dynamic equations are understood.
I wonder whether banning so much testing actually sped up the accuracy of F1 teams' CFD, but perhaps they would have caught up by now and even had better CFD due to a constant corrobation and feedback loop of CFD - testing - CFD - testing.
Old 13 Mar 2019, 21:54 (Ref:3890237)   #247
Richard Casto
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Durham, NC, USA
Richard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I wonder whether banning so much testing actually sped up the accuracy of F1 teams' CFD, but perhaps they would have caught up by now and even had better CFD due to a constant corrobation and feedback loop of CFD - testing - CFD - testing.
In short yes. But since I am unable to keep it to the short answer...

I expect with the heavy restrictions of on track testing, that it has improved the CFD capabilities of teams as they had really no other options than to improve that skill. I have no doubt that over the past handful of years those doing CFD continue to get better at it. I think they recently increased the quantity (regulation change) of CFD compute capabilities, so that should help even the lowly teams.

Overall, I think if they allowed more on track testing, it would increase the bandwidth of that feedback loop, or better yet allow for more iterative loops. You see teams today running all types of systems to measure aero during testing and potentially even during free practice at races.

On the surface, you would think they are testing new parts to see if they perform as expected. Quantitative measure such as reduced lap time or downforce levels. And they do. They always have the clock to look at lap time performance or load cells to measure downforce.

But I suspect a great deal is to see how close reality is to the CFD predictions. Is the Flow-Vis paint showing the air moving as predicted. The aero rake structures are measuring a sampled grid of pressures in a specific plane (such as just before or after an aero device) to see if the air is moving as predicted. Basically compare the data points to what the computer says it "thinks" it should be.

The more iterations you can do, the more you can refine whatever is going on with your model. Right now they are limited as to how many iterative loops they can do. So during the season they end up bringing stuff to the track in which their level of confidence may not be great. Bolt it on and cross your fingers. That is why you see ideas tried in free practice that never gets raced. Or one car running new aero and the other not. Or sometimes even large updates that are reworked after a failed weekend.

Richard
Old 14 Mar 2019, 01:18 (Ref:3890278)   #248
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto
But I suspect a great deal is to see how close reality is to the CFD predictions. Is the Flow-Vis paint showing the air moving as predicted. The aero rake structures are measuring a sampled grid of pressures in a specific plane (such as just before or after an aero device) to see if the air is moving as predicted. Basically compare the data points to what the computer says it "thinks" it should be.
I am pretty sure this is the driving force. I am sure it is a big part of why Mercedes did their week 1 to week 2 approach. Get a baseline to check the calibration as it were, then week 2 you can get a better handle of what really worked and didn't so much with the updates.

Obviously I know nothin' so this is essentially baseless speculation, but it makes sense to me.
Old 16 Mar 2019, 11:11 (Ref:3890970)   #249
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
MB understand one thing and that is what practise is for and that is not setting the fastest time but learning how to set the fastest time come the first race day.
I think I got that right on reflection.