Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Mar 2019, 16:32 (Ref:3889937)   #211
GBRM
Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
England
Posts: 1,050
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymar93 View Post
hi. does anyone know who drove the itsel rovers? thanks mark
Tim Harvey in 1986
GBRM is offline  
__________________
Gregor Marshall
Quote
Old 13 Mar 2019, 06:53 (Ref:3890049)   #212
A.C.Clegg
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 25
A.C.Clegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Norris Miles raced a Rover around that time. There was a film of him driving a lap on Silverstone GP Circuit on the Video "Vintage G and T" about Gerry Marshall and Tony Lanfranchi's season.
A.C.Clegg is offline  
Quote
Old 13 Mar 2019, 06:59 (Ref:3890052)   #213
GBRM
Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
England
Posts: 1,050
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.C.Clegg View Post
Norris Miles raced a Rover around that time. There was a film of him driving a lap on Silverstone GP Circuit on the Video "Vintage G and T" about Gerry Marshall and Tony Lanfranchi's season.
There's no clip of Norris driving a Rover on Vintage G&T, I have loads of the footage that was filmed for the video and then the final version, so I would love to see if you could post somewhere?
I don't remember Norris being out in '86, must have been a one off appearance.
I still keep in touch with Norris, a bit rare now though, good chap and very quick driver,
GBRM is offline  
__________________
Gregor Marshall
Quote
Old 13 Mar 2019, 07:13 (Ref:3890056)   #214
A.C.Clegg
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 25
A.C.Clegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry made a mistake Gregor. Don't have video any more. Tim Harvey, Tim Goss, Norris Miles and Trevor Lewis were entered in the Uniroyal Tyres Production Saloon car race at the Tourist Trophy Meeting in 1986. Your father was in the Escort turbo and Patrick Watts in the Uno Turbo. Tony was in the Vauxhall Nova with Ivan Dutton in another Nova. I've the programme in front of me.
A.C.Clegg is offline  
Quote
Old 13 Mar 2019, 07:36 (Ref:3890060)   #215
markymar93
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 32
markymar93 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hi. that is really helpful. many thanks. i knew tim harvey and tim goss drove that year but not the other two. i know trevor lewis used my car for the superprix in 87 so i assume he purchased one of the istel cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.C.Clegg View Post
Sorry made a mistake Gregor. Don't have video any more. Tim Harvey, Tim Goss, Norris Miles and Trevor Lewis were entered in the Uniroyal Tyres Production Saloon car race at the Tourist Trophy Meeting in 1986. Your father was in the Escort turbo and Patrick Watts in the Uno Turbo. Tony was in the Vauxhall Nova with Ivan Dutton in another Nova. I've the programme in front of me.
markymar93 is offline  
Quote
Old 13 Mar 2019, 21:09 (Ref:3890246)   #216
KA
Veteran
 
KA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 5,350
KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymar93 View Post
hi. that is really helpful. many thanks. i knew tim harvey and tim goss drove that year but not the other two. i know trevor lewis used my car for the superprix in 87 so i assume he purchased one of the istel cars.
Without digging old race programmes and Autosports out of the loft, I remember Harvey and Goss driving the Istel cars, while Miles and Lewis drove their own cars. I've got a vague memory of a third driver being involved- IIRC Harvey and Goss concentrating on the Uniroyal rounds, while the other driver substituted for one of them in the Monroe rounds.

I might well be imagining this, but did historic racer Chris Chiles appear in one at some point?- he certainly had Istel sponsorship (IIRC was he a senior exec at Istel?) and shared Harvey's C2 Tiga on occasion a couple of years later
http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...-09-11-011.jpg
KA is offline  
Quote
Old 13 Mar 2019, 21:38 (Ref:3890252)   #217
markymar93
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 32
markymar93 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
many thanks. does anyone know if the cars were new when they had the istel sponsorship or had they raced previously?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
Without digging old race programmes and Autosports out of the loft, I remember Harvey and Goss driving the Istel cars, while Miles and Lewis drove their own cars. I've got a vague memory of a third driver being involved- IIRC Harvey and Goss concentrating on the Uniroyal rounds, while the other driver substituted for one of them in the Monroe rounds.

I might well be imagining this, but did historic racer Chris Chiles appear in one at some point?- he certainly had Istel sponsorship (IIRC was he a senior exec at Istel?) and shared Harvey's C2 Tiga on occasion a couple of years later
http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...-09-11-011.jpg
markymar93 is offline  
Quote
Old 13 Mar 2019, 22:57 (Ref:3890264)   #218
GBRM
Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
England
Posts: 1,050
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't the Trevor Lewis Rover the one that Ken Clarke has for sale at the moment or has just sold?
https://tentenths.com/forum/showthre...90#post3888890
Threads going in circles!!
GBRM is offline  
__________________
Gregor Marshall
Quote
Old 14 Mar 2019, 06:47 (Ref:3890336)   #219
markymar93
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 32
markymar93 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i have bought the car from ken. im just trying to find out as much about the car as possible.
markymar93 is offline  
Quote
Old 14 Mar 2019, 07:05 (Ref:3890340)   #220
A.C.Clegg
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 25
A.C.Clegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From memory the Norris Miles car was red and white.
A.C.Clegg is offline  
Quote
Old 15 Mar 2019, 07:13 (Ref:3890600)   #221
A.C.Clegg
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 25
A.C.Clegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBRM View Post
Norris Miles definitely had an outing or two in the 1986 Production Saloons, can't remember if he's in the official footage on Vintage G&T or if he is just in the extra footage I have; will chek when I get back from Silverstone tonight, where incidentally in the Gp1 race yesterday there were ten Capris and only one Rover.
Gregor, found this today.
A.C.Clegg is offline  
Quote
Old 15 Mar 2019, 10:34 (Ref:3890643)   #222
KA
Veteran
 
KA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 5,350
KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.C.Clegg View Post
From memory the Norris Miles car was red and white.
David Pinkney had a red & white prodsaloon Rover about that time ('87 but not sure about '86), and for some reason it's at the back of my mind that might have been the same car, backed by CD Motor Cover.

Did Pinkney take the car over from Miles in '87, or was it one of those shared drives where one driver did the Uniroyal rounds and the other the Monroe?

https://picclick.co.uk/Rover-Vitesse...107283379.html
KA is offline  
Quote
Old 15 Mar 2019, 13:19 (Ref:3890695)   #223
A.C.Clegg
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 25
A.C.Clegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks familiar.
A.C.Clegg is offline  
Quote
Old 15 Mar 2019, 13:20 (Ref:3890696)   #224
A.C.Clegg
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 25
A.C.Clegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Might be the same car.
A.C.Clegg is offline  
Quote
Old 15 Mar 2019, 15:28 (Ref:3890734)   #225
A.C.Clegg
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 25
A.C.Clegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by COLIN STUBBS View Post
I posted a pic of Norris way back in this thread and yes theres some footage of his Rover in G and T,very noisy old v8!
Found this also.
A.C.Clegg is offline  
Quote
Reply

Bookmarks




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1970's & 80's Super Saloons & Special Saloons (merged) R59 Motorsport History 619 24 Jul 2017 12:05
Production Saloons return in 2007 Redlake27 National & Club Racing 36 9 Dec 2005 08:17
BARC Formula One Motorsport Saloons & BRSCC/BARC Southern Sports & Saloons Peter Scillitoe Racers Forum 9 14 May 2002 08:22


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 13:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Original Website Copyright © 1998-2003 Craig Antil. All Rights Reserved.
Ten-Tenths Motorsport Forums Copyright © 2004-2018 Royalridge Computing. All Rights Reserved.