Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Notices

Old 31 Jul 2020, 10:10 (Ref:3991804)   #16
bauble
Veteran

England
Luton, which is nowhere near ,,,?
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
I think I spot a Tenther in that picture...
Indeed, Fay herself.
Old 31 Jul 2020, 11:02 (Ref:3991814)   #17
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
The Bobtail story seems reasonably well known, judging by the replies. The design is a variation on the aerodynamic theories of Dr. Kamm, who advocated a flat rear end as a better option than a more streamlined for the tail of a car. I do not profess to grasp the detail, but Cooper added the concave to the 'flat back' theory.

John Cooper, light heartedly I'm sure, explained it was because a longer design would not fit into the Cooper transporter.
The 'flat back' can be seen on various Aston Martins, and Ferrari models.
Cheers,

Bauble.

Now how about the third puzzle?
I think that Jaguar learnt an expensive aerodynamic lesson from the C Type , & were keen not to pass the information on , so claimed that they withdrew from Le Mans due to overheating .[ They did scrap all of the "Low Drag " bodies when they got back .]

So perhaps Cooper was doing a similar thing with their new shape & saying that it fitted better on the trailer , rather than giving information away to everyone else that it was a step forward in aerodynamic design
Old 31 Jul 2020, 11:22 (Ref:3991820)   #18
crmalcolm
Veteran

Ireland
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
So perhaps Cooper was doing a similar thing with their new shape & saying that it fitted better on the trailer , rather than giving information away to everyone else that it was a step forward in aerodynamic design
It came about because Owen Maddock had been studying the work of Professor Wunibald Kamm and wanted to implement such an arrangement on a new car.
John Cooper was sceptical about the silhouette, and so explained the design as being to fit into the transporter, until the aero benefits were proven.

More details of the work by Maddock on this design, and Cooper's response, can be found in Doug Nye's 2003 book - 'Cooper Cars'. ISBN 0-7603-1709-7.
Old 31 Jul 2020, 19:44 (Ref:3991937)   #19
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My Alfa spider has a Kamm-tail....or at least that's what it is sometimes referred to to distinguish it from the Duetto.....

Can't do anything about your third puzzle Bob, as all I can see is two symbols of a no-entry sign and a message that the image has been resized....don't seem to be able to access them.....
Old 1 Aug 2020, 02:12 (Ref:3991987)   #20
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I will try again;
What links these two cars?

Old 2 Aug 2020, 06:57 (Ref:3992207)   #21
Gerard C
Veteran

Wallis & Futuna
Paris area
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
EB, what about joining try and find an acceptable answer? The second is not a Buchanan can it be a Victress?
Old 2 Aug 2020, 07:17 (Ref:3992209)   #22
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
XNO1 is the Dick Jacobs MG special...so is the link MG?
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 2 Aug 2020, 07:20 (Ref:3992210)   #23
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356sc View Post
XNO1 is the Dick Jacobs MG special...so is the link MG?
Simples!!!!!!
Old 2 Aug 2020, 08:12 (Ref:3992213)   #24
Gerard C
Veteran

Wallis & Futuna
Paris area
Ben oui, quoi, il suffisait de le dire!
This Special reminds me an other ugly coupé, a Pichon Parat Dolomites I drove quite a few times. More ugly than that you die!
Old 2 Aug 2020, 09:33 (Ref:3992222)   #25
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
Ah yes, I think you call it “challenging styling”!
Mag 7's #60
Old 2 Aug 2020, 10:40 (Ref:3992235)   #26
bauble
Veteran

England
What is the connection?

ANSWER BY PM ONLY PLEASE. GIVE OTHERS A CHANCE.

Old 2 Aug 2020, 12:53 (Ref:3992269)   #27
bauble
Veteran

England
First amongst equals GCCheddars with the right answer.
Old 2 Aug 2020, 14:10 (Ref:3992294)   #28
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
Clearly I peaked early, not got a clue on this one!
Mag 7's #60
Old 2 Aug 2020, 18:16 (Ref:3992466)   #29
Gerard C
Veteran

Wallis & Futuna
Paris area
Good to have you joining the privilege pack, Will, welcome on board of the Stupidos Club! By PM only…
Old 2 Aug 2020, 19:13 (Ref:3992504)   #30
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356sc View Post
Clearly I peaked early, not got a clue on this one!
If you followed FISCAR you would probably have the answer in no time.