Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 20 Jul 2001, 19:46 (Ref:119746)   #1
Rempie
Racer

Rempie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FIA F3000 Spa test - DAY 1

I don't think today's test session at Spa could be described with words, you'd have to empty a few buckets over water over your head to get the right feeling...

I can be very short about the morning-session (since I didn't witness it); according to a friendly security guy, not much racing was possible because of a terrible fog hanging all over the circuit (the circuit of Francorchamps actually is the first real obstacle clouds run into when they come from the north sea... they either rise and produce an awful amount of rain, or keep hanging low and result in fog ).

When the 2nd session started the fog had pretty much disappeared, but some showers kept the track pretty wet. Some kind of tropical storm in the middle of the session kept the cars in the boxes, only one Nordic car (I think it was Enge, but I'm not sure) was brave enough to entertain the crowd (about 20 or 30 people showed up, half of them were dutch tourists who heard the noise and discovered entry was free ). About 30 minuts before the end, rain stopped and the sun joined the cars for about half a minute. By the time the session finished, a dry line had formed. The fastest times were definitly produced at the very end, although it was still too wet for slicks.

I have no times/results whatsoever, but they are certainly not representative anyway because of the changing weather conditions.

The session got interrupted by 3 or 4 red flags, wich seems to be the normal procedure when someone stalls his car on a test-day (Lancieri and a Red Bull-car were to blame, but there was no damage whatsoever).

A coloni-car lost its entire engine-cover/bodywork when coming out of the pits, I guess a teammember forgot some screws ).

A few drivers lost their car at La Source (hairpin after the start) and went wide or spun. This included a coloni-car (2x?), justin wilson and a durano.

Nothing important happend really, it was a great chance for the teams to test their cars under wet conditions. (and a GREAT chance for spectators...well..me...to watch F3000!!!)

All the teams were present at Spa, only KTR (belgian team!) didn't show up on track?!

European Minardi ran its #7-car (David Saelens). I have no idea who the actual driver was, but his helmet-design included a purple area on both sides, and some other flashy colours as well. It is definitly NOT Albers' helmet (he had DTM-duties) or Marques' helmet. It may have been Piccini's helmet, but I'm not at all sure. In the closing minuts, European Minardi also ran a driver with a full gray helmet (without design..)?!

I took about 50 pics so everything may clear up when they are ready/scanned/uploaded. (I hope the photos aren't too bad as the light meter in my camera was broken, I'm afraid most of the pics will be too dark :/)

The action at Spa will continue tommorow, but even MORE rain is forecasted (heck, it always rains at Francorchamps anyway when I'm around). Please DO visit the circuit tommorow if you're able to do so!! It's great action! You can park your car on 20 meters from the roofed tribunes :-)

Pics and comments will be uploaded soon,
Geert
Old 20 Jul 2001, 19:59 (Ref:119748)   #2
Rempie
Racer

I found this at tomas-enge.com, I'm not really good in Czech but these should be the results:

1. Justin Wilson (Velká Británie, Coca-Cola Nordic Racing) 2:29,4 min.
2. Mark Webber (Austrálie, Super Nova) 2:29,9
3. Jonathan Cochet (Francie, Prost Junior Team) 2:29,9
4. Antonio Pizzonia (BrazÃ*lie, Petrobras) 2:29,9
… Tomáš Enge (Èeská republika, , Coca-Cola Nordic Racing) 2:34,4 min.

I think the times say a lot about the conditions

Geert
Old 20 Jul 2001, 23:59 (Ref:119814)   #3
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
About the driver who raced the European Minardi #7...
The helmet was like that?

http://www.*******************/FWCache...0tcmf30104.jpg
Old 21 Jul 2001, 09:50 (Ref:119886)   #4
Rempie
Racer

No, sorry. The helmet was different.

My photos may clear things up, but they have to be developed first and all stores are closed this weekend..
Old 21 Jul 2001, 09:55 (Ref:119887)   #5
Rempie
Racer

It was definitly the helmet of TOMAS SCHEKTER.

This is quite a big news
Old 21 Jul 2001, 22:22 (Ref:120070)   #6
JVA
Racer

JVA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thomas Scheckter had tested the European Minardi of David Saelens in Spa. He was 25the quickest. He will be racing for European Minardi in Hockenheim and perhaps also on the Hungaroring, butt there is a chance that Saelens will race there allready