Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 23 Jul 2001, 17:40 (Ref:120629)   #1
Gaffer
Rookie

Gaffer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ROBBIE KERR. Superstar if he's allowed

Enjoyed another F3 meeting at Donnington at the weekend, particularly pleased to see Robbie Kerr cement his position at the head of the Scholarship class. It is frustrating however to watch him race in the knowledge that he has the ability to mix with and beat the frontrunners in the Championship class. Sadly however it is a case of money talking and with things as they are then how can the best drivers progress to dizzy heights of F1?

Given his potential I fail to see how a big backer is not willing to support drivers like Robbie given the potential jackpot of an association with an F1 driver.

All he can do is continue to win and hope that he gets the break that allows him to reach his potential as a racing driver and do justice to the effort and succes he has already achieved.

Any comments? Has anyone seen much of Robbie racing?
Old 23 Jul 2001, 17:56 (Ref:120633)   #2
Rimrider
Racer

Rimrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry I have to disagree. He is racing against a bunch of unknowns who have hardly any track record. The only reason F3 B class exists is so that the A class teams can sell their old cars and some of the teams that compete in it are very second rate.
Old 23 Jul 2001, 18:34 (Ref:120656)   #3
Gaffer
Rookie

Well we'll have to differ on that one. I wouldn't argue that some of the scholarship teams are second rate but Robbie has mixed with and beaten championship cars, who are operating with far superior machines. Agreed?
Old 23 Jul 2001, 20:16 (Ref:120702)   #4
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i agree with the money issue. but if he can do it, he'll get there. it's the same with any driver, you know. the money issue is there for all of them, except the lucky boys who have daddy's support.

he must bide his time. if he is very good, a proper f3 team will see him, and give him a test in an up-to-date car.

i'm afraid you lose me on the statistics, but i don't remember him making a huge impact at brands hatch a few weeks ago. feel free to prove me wrong, though.
Old 23 Jul 2001, 20:43 (Ref:120717)   #5
Gaffer
Rookie

yeah I realise money is an issue for the majority of drivers, if only it could be different!

As for Brands Hatch, Robbie took two scholarship victories, finishing ahead of 3 Championship drivers in the first race of the day and 4 in the second. Not too bad!
Old 24 Jul 2001, 09:32 (Ref:120990)   #6
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree Robbie looks the class of the field this year in the scholarship class, but I do worry as who of any note has ever done anything good after scholarship class in F3? (David Brabham is probaly the answer - but he is an exception). The scholarship class is where you end up if you haven't sufficient backing or talent for the main championship, its not somewhere future world champions hang out. IMO
Old 24 Jul 2001, 10:08 (Ref:121027)   #7
autosportfan
Rookie

autosportfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why are people writing off the scholarship class. It is a great deal more competitive than last year when Gary Paffitt won it (there were usually only a total of 3 competitor) and earlier in the year people on this forum were singing his praises and predicting he would get to F1 soon.
Old 24 Jul 2001, 10:09 (Ref:121030)   #8
autosportfan
Rookie

autosportfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Plus last year in Formula Palmer Audi Robbie Kerr completely outclassed Derek Hayes.
Old 24 Jul 2001, 11:51 (Ref:121072)   #9
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by autosportfan
Why are people writing off the scholarship class. It is a great deal more competitive than last year when Gary Paffitt won it (there were usually only a total of 3 competitor) and earlier in the year people on this forum were singing his praises and predicting he would get to F1 soon.
Not me

Seriously, I do think Robbie is a talent guy, but previous experience has shown even people who do exceptionally well in the scholarship class don't convert that to serious progression - Gary Dunn, Martin O'Connell anyone?

I'm not saying he doesn't have the talent, but we all know talent alone doesn't do it.