Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 16 Jun 2004, 04:42 (Ref:1005485)   #1
STEVO
Veteran

STEVO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tander to leave GRM in 2005?

It has been speculated in this week's AutoAction that Garth Tander may be on the move next year and is open to the possibility of driving a FORD in 2005. It has been suggested that DJR are looking for a star driver to join their team and let's bear in mind that Warren Luff has only a one year contract (correct me if I'm wrong).

Do you guys reckon Garth Tander will leave GRM and in particular, will we see him in a FORD? DJR? FPR? What about the HRT?

I admire Garth Tander for sticking with GRM since 1998, the industry is so fickle these days and he chose to stay loyal to Garry and his team, but perhaps it's time for a change? GRM do have a very talented (and under-rated driver) in Cameron McConville on board, so perhaps the timing is right?

What are your thoughts...
Old 16 Jun 2004, 04:51 (Ref:1005489)   #2
Pirtek Racing
Racer

Pirtek Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GRM are starting to get pace, only that it is getting overshadowed by PWR pace and HRT problems
Old 16 Jun 2004, 06:41 (Ref:1005526)   #3
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Garth is rumoured to be interested in a drive at HRT. It would depend on what Todd Kelly is doing next year i guess.
Team Dynamik and perhaps the current K-Mart team are possibilities for Holden. Where he would fit into a Ford team is a bit harder. Maybe WPS (both drivers are supposed to have contracts for next year) or even FPR are possible. I can't think of any others except maybe DJR. A lot would depend on other driver movements i guess.
Old 16 Jun 2004, 07:10 (Ref:1005537)   #4
Onlooker
Veteran

Onlooker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would hazzard a gues that Holden pay part of his wages in some sort of a way be it a car or what ever and Holden arn't excactly desperate for drivers they have another 7 that are all more than capable of winning and Ford are full right up to pussies bow with drivers that are just waiting for their respective teams to get a bit more organised,maybe he will have to stay where he is?
To take Garth at HRT they have to get rid of a driver and for the life of me can't imagine who would get the chop from the 6 drivers currently in the mix.
Skaife has a deal with the boss that will see him drive there for many years,Paul Weel,Todd and Rick Kelly all have similiar deals with the decision makers, Murf is loved by K Mart and has a very saleable profile that gets plenty of additional coverage away from the track with Superstars,Panel Beaters and NZ.
Bright is doing the job at PWR and speaks well,understands the PR machine after the years of promo work that comes with the varied teams he has been assosiated with so is unlikely to get the chop.
Team Dynamic/FPR would look as good to him as McLaren would be to JPM at the moment.
DJR is probally his best bet and I think that he set the ground rules for negotiations at that camp midway through the Sandown 500 last year enduring his memory to both team members and the Johnson family alike.

888 come on down?:confused: maybe Brad Jones will step aside,who knows he has made a few attemps to get inside a BJR car on more than one occasion but Bowe was going to quick to get the door open.

Last edited by Onlooker; 16 Jun 2004 at 07:12.

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 16 Jun 2004, 08:20 (Ref:1005581)   #5
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
00 XR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Garth Tander was always a DJR/Dick Johnson fan when he was a kid, so there is a logical connection there

I don't know how long Weel can be kept at PWR though. Either the team can't build/run two cars of equal spec or Bright is doing a lot better job than Paul. Either way, there seems to be quite a difference in results from cars #50 to #16. Son or no son, the team is a business, and it needs results.
“Jamie, Jamie, Jamie. What you have to do is you have to say look; the fact of the matter is that I’m red hot, that Todd Kelly is a ******, I have always thought he was, and I was just mowing him down based on ability”. – Neil Crompton talking to Jamie Whincup, post Bathurst 2005.
Old 16 Jun 2004, 08:23 (Ref:1005586)   #6
TAKA
Rookie

TAKA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No its not happening it was and is a rumor that some one decided to run with and print as a False hint in a magazine.
Old 16 Jun 2004, 08:24 (Ref:1005587)   #7
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
ummmmmmmm , but surely if the team is called PWR then one Paul Weel will have a job right ?

I know I wouldnt want to be bundled out of a team if it still bears my name unless retiring.

but anyway GT ?????

I think he will stay at GRM but you never know.
Old 16 Jun 2004, 09:07 (Ref:1005607)   #8
TAKA
Rookie

TAKA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He IS Staying at GRM
Old 16 Jun 2004, 09:30 (Ref:1005627)   #9
Onlooker
Veteran

Onlooker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good for him

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 16 Jun 2004, 10:40 (Ref:1005687)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by marcus
ummmmmmmm , but surely if the team is called PWR then one Paul Weel will have a job right ?

I know I wouldnt want to be bundled out of a team if it still bears my name unless retiring.
Think NASCAR.... USA... Chevrolet.... radiators... MMMMMMMMMMMM!!!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 16 Jun 2004, 11:18 (Ref:1005717)   #11
lowndes6
Racer

lowndes6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont think Garth would swith to the dark side. Also if he did go to a holden team i would say it would be Team Dynamik.
Old 16 Jun 2004, 12:30 (Ref:1005786)   #12
Placebo
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Placebo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If this speculation was last year when Team Dynamik were showing so much potential I would have said they were a certainty.
Now I wouldn't be so sure.
Old 16 Jun 2004, 12:34 (Ref:1005793)   #13
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I dont think Garth would swith to the dark side. Also if he did go to a holden team i would say it would be Team Dynamik.
Which would be an obvious step up

Last edited by StuiE; 16 Jun 2004 at 12:39.

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 16 Jun 2004, 12:46 (Ref:1005800)   #14
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Garth will soon be a married man, all domesticated n'that... be time for some blue oval moneybags to sign him to an unbreakable 5 year deal, offering enough money so he wouldnt have to work again... and results dont determine the paycheck....

Oops that was last decade, not this one
Old 16 Jun 2004, 13:14 (Ref:1005820)   #15
FatBoy
Racer

FatBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good luck to him, he's had little chance to shine in recent times with GRM - I hope he stays there and the team gets back to where it should be...
Old 16 Jun 2004, 23:58 (Ref:1006382)   #16
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Onlooker did a good job of reviewing the overall situation. I can't see him being wlcomed with open arms at DJR. I think he'd stay where he is.
Old 17 Jun 2004, 06:56 (Ref:1006495)   #17
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
hmmmmmmmmm in the hope of not offending anyone but GTR is it Leanne Ferrier that Garth is marrying?

their relationship was well known when leanne was running V8's but I havent heard if they are still together or not.

either way I hope his impending funeral (oops that should read marriage) is a fantastic one
Old 17 Jun 2004, 07:12 (Ref:1006509)   #18
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes it is marcus.
Old 17 Jun 2004, 07:15 (Ref:1006515)   #19
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
excellent
Old 17 Jun 2004, 07:35 (Ref:1006533)   #20
Hapul
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Hapul should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Moving, to my mind for GT would be good, but not to ford

"So, do you just go for anything red, Russell?"
-M Skaife
Old 17 Jun 2004, 12:27 (Ref:1006851)   #21
Woody75
Racer

Woody75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well there are no Holden teams he can go too as said earlier in this fourm no room at HRT/KRT/PWR

Team Dynamik definitely not
Old 17 Jun 2004, 12:40 (Ref:1006866)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Why is there no vacancy at HRT/KRT/PWR?? There is at least one more slot at CPR available also. Plus Dynamik. Plus Tasman. Plus another team that might be Holden mounted soon...

The merrygoround is craking up.... will be silly season very very soon, if its not already.
Old 17 Jun 2004, 12:45 (Ref:1006873)   #23
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Woody75
Well there are no Holden teams he can go too as said earlier in this fourm no room at HRT/KRT/PWR

Team Dynamik definitely not
Don't kid yourself....
Old 18 Jun 2004, 01:26 (Ref:1007493)   #24
HD_D5
Rookie

HD_D5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any clues GTR to the team that soon may be Lion mounted??
Old 18 Jun 2004, 01:33 (Ref:1007495)   #25
HD_D5
Rookie

HD_D5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi...after having been at conrod for a while..& have seen that joint implode on itself, I find this forum very refreshing & more than a bit informative.

So I hope I can contribute from time to time to the discussions & enjoy the comments of others.

Cheers