Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 27 Apr 2021, 08:32 (Ref:4048038)   #46
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffman66 View Post
Some of this was good, but a lot of it was done with no regard for fans, look at Silverstone, it went from there to nothing within 5 years, almost heroically mismanaged. Yet a great concept, fab location, decent if not great track, yet they had no idea how to do it right, fair play for trying something new, but do your research, events like that ONLY appeal to the middle classes like the Classic, and Goodwood, the way you get big crowds of youth is drifting, drag racing, car clubs, tuners. And make it cheap initially, not vastly overpriced.
I think Silverstone has been debated to death on here, but I agree with pretty much all of the above.

Silverstone wasn't brilliant, but it was better than I was expecting and the first year (when the Stowe building was open) it actually offered a few different vantage points for spectators. Plus it kept World Rallycross in the UK for a couple of extra years, so I am grateful for that...

...but yeah, the way the WRX events were marketed is really not how I would have done it. Obviously easy to sit behind a keyboard and critique, but I can't understand why you wouldn't try and appeal to the existing fanbase whilst seeking out a wider audience. Speedmachine seemed like a bit of a mishmash of ideas to me which is maybe fine for the first year or two when you are trying to choose the exact direction of the event, but to then pair that with a massive hike in price relative to the Lydden round seemed daft. Perhaps there was some logic behind it, but I couldn't see it.

I don't know how likely it would have been but I hoped that, if it had stayed there, they might have reworked the circuit to make full use of that area.
Old 27 Apr 2021, 12:21 (Ref:4048078)   #47
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Speedmachine on the slowest circuit I can recall in the UK. The circuit design looked like it was based on dropping a shoelace on a board. Zero understanding of how to create an exciting race circuit with genuine overtaking opportunities. Yes I've never designed one but I've been to enough events to understand how (not) to.

Anyway, looking forward, I'm a bit concerned about the lack of news this year!! Hopefully something decent still happens.
Old 27 Apr 2021, 18:22 (Ref:4048139)   #48
hoffman66
Racer

hoffman66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhoffman66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think a rallycross can be very simple, look at Valkenwaard, Maaslecheleon, Lydden. Loheac is so basic it almost looks dumb. |And I dont think its a great track at all actually compared to some past and present in France. But it gets huge crowds and works.

I can see their point in trying these things, but they were paying for the whole venue hire, that was never going to pay off now was it, and was monstrously dumb from the outset, good business by Silverstone though.
Old 27 Apr 2021, 20:43 (Ref:4048164)   #49
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think a rallycross can be very simple, look at Valkenwaard, Maaslecheleon, Lydden. Loheac is so basic it almost looks dumb. |And I dont think its a great track at all actually compared to some past and present in France. But it gets huge crowds and works.

I can see their point in trying these things, but they were paying for the whole venue hire, that was never going to pay off now was it, and was monstrously dumb from the outset, good business by Silverstone though.
Good business? I'd call it a scheme if so since WRX and rallycross seems to be no more at the venue. A sum up of everything wrong with WRX under IMG I think.

IMG only went to Loheac because of the spectator numbers, the event hadn't been in ERC for several years when reintroduced in 2013. Valkenswaard is an actual track but that hairpin kills off all speed and quickly dismantles the racing. The cars line up into a literal queue where they wait for the car in front of them to make the turn. Utterly dreadful to watch.

Lydden and Maasmechelen are good, fantastic tracks in my opinion. It's hard to pass on Maasmechelen but that goes for plenty of rallycross tracks anyway. I also miss some of the Eastern situated tracks like Nyirad, Sosnova, Greinbach, Slomzcyn, although the latter one was reworked.
Old 27 Apr 2021, 21:41 (Ref:4048169)   #50
SnoodyMcFlude
Racer

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Indeed, imo probably the most exciting of the 'new' tracks was Spa, which was realistically only 4 corners. Probably wouldn't have the same interest without the elevation change and the banked corner, but the basics of the track really aren't that involved.
Old 28 Apr 2021, 18:52 (Ref:4048355)   #51
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's old ground but Lydden for me is the best circuit for overtaking (though less so with the narrowing of Chessons). I enjoyed going to Maasmechelen but overtaking was too tough. The racing at Loheac is awful unless it rains. Professional line on the swept dirt line. But the atmosphere is awesome. As awesome as Holjes is as a circuit and the atmosphere looks mega (never been, but want to go), it is a place that gets few overtakings in a race/weekend.

I thought Spa was excellent. Catalunya could be awesome but they ruin it with stupid kinks (just before jump, just before final left hairpin and just before the first proper right-hander) which ensure you cannot overtake. Coupled with a swept line on the so called dirt. As I said earlier, I feel I could design better circuits with just a bit of commonsense and understanding of what not to do.
Old 29 Apr 2021, 13:06 (Ref:4048457)   #52
chasing cars
Racer

chasing cars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickey View Post
I thought Spa was excellent. Catalunya could be awesome but they ruin it with stupid kinks (just before jump, just before final left hairpin and just before the first proper right-hander) which ensure you cannot overtake. Coupled with a swept line on the so called dirt. As I said earlier, I feel I could design better circuits with just a bit of commonsense and understanding of what not to do.
Moving the startline at Catalunya for me was the worst thing they did to that circuit. The starts there used to be awesome loved by both drivers and spectators. The new startline is probably the worst now with such a short run into a tight lefthander which invariably causes silly first corner incidents which split the field up, and has spoilt the last 2 finals there.
Old 4 May 2021, 14:32 (Ref:4049633)   #53
MANU MATADOR
Rookie

Portugal
porto
MANU MATADOR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasing cars View Post
Moving the start line at Catalunya for me was the worst thing they did to that circuit. The starts there used to be awesome loved by both drivers and spectators. The new startline is probably the worst now with such a short run into a tight lefthander which invariably causes silly first corner incidents which split the field up, and has spoilt the last 2 finals there.
Catalunya start line is just one of many errors done in the sport last years.
4/5 years ago RX got all to grow big, but zdeciders fuk in all points, tracks, classes, regulations of race, etc...
I remember 90's in RX and actually it's a joke in comparison.
Erx are soo poor, RX2 same thing. Classes like s1600 and tourisms are underrated, all cause of economy interests.
Tracks suffer of same disease money.
Money its the key factor to choose one track, not pilots, public or spectacle.
Regulations are a joke. Why just 6 cars on the final and semi, when in all countries you got 8 or more. Why soo few laps also. And why not balance things it inverted grids on heats.
I see a dark future for my favorite sport and i think this year go to be a very bad one to Rx.
Old 10 Jun 2021, 13:36 (Ref:4055547)   #54
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Tickets are on sale for Catalunya - so presumably they have enough entries to go ahead, although it's still very quiet on that front.
Old 10 Jun 2021, 13:56 (Ref:4055548)   #55
SnoodyMcFlude
Racer

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So far I think we've got Enzo Ide, Kevin Abbring with GCK, Szabo and Gronholm in GRX and Kevin Hansen. So everyone's a winner!
Old 11 Jun 2021, 11:28 (Ref:4055707)   #56
SnoodyMcFlude
Racer

United Kingdom
Andrew Jordan has posted a few hints about rallycross on his Instagram over the last few months, including what sounds like a bit of anti lag and launch yesterday. News apparently coming next week, do we reckon that it's RX and if so is it Nitro/World/Euro/British or something else?

Oh and Timmy has been confirmed https://www.fiaworldrallycross.com/a...g-to-reconquer
Old 11 Jun 2021, 12:10 (Ref:4055714)   #57
hoffman66
Racer

hoffman66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhoffman66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jordan has said forever that away from BTCC he would love to do a proper go at rallycross again, he is heavily involved with historic cars aswell so that might mean he is only part time, but I guess he has the contacts tog et involved if he wants to, and maybe the budget to arrive and drive, not sure he would do that though these days, probably prefer to prep his own stuff
Old 11 Jun 2021, 12:41 (Ref:4055721)   #58
SnoodyMcFlude
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
Jordan has said forever that away from BTCC he would love to do a proper go at rallycross again, he is heavily involved with historic cars aswell so that might mean he is only part time, but I guess he has the contacts tog et involved if he wants to, and maybe the budget to arrive and drive, not sure he would do that though these days, probably prefer to prep his own stuff
Definitely prepping a rallycross car at JRT, just not quite sure who/what for.
Old Yesterday, 09:56 (Ref:4057721)   #59
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Look who is back...

...the prospect of Johan behind the wheel of an Audi just massively ramped my excitement for the 2021 season up.
Old Yesterday, 17:55 (Ref:4057779)   #60
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new lap record!FIRE is going for a new lap record!FIRE is going for a new lap record!FIRE is going for a new lap record!FIRE is going for a new lap record!FIRE is going for a new lap record!
Title contender #1