Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 24 Sep 2007, 14:47 (Ref:2021790)   #1
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2008 Calendar (DRAFT) (Merged x3)

If this thread is already out there mod's please merge.

Well later today the offical 2008 calender will be released later today but here is what it will look like, from eNews still a few dates to be added but will be able to fill them in later today:

Clipsal - Feb 21-24
Oran Park
AGP - Mar13-16 (non championship)
Barbagallo
Hamilton (NZ) - Apr 18-20
Sandown
Darwin
Queensland raceway
Winton
(six week break)
Philip Island 500 - Sep
Bathurst 1000 - Oct 9-12
Indy - Oct 23-26
Bahrain
Symons Plains
Eastern Creek

I like the calender still keeping 14 rounds with the adition of the AGP, i love the idea of the 500 at PI, IMO the EC thing as the last round might be an indication they are trying for Homebush as the last round, but as a safeguard have EC to keep the last round in sydney if they can't get Homebush, EC done a good job in it's previous times as the last round, don't like the 6 week break though (bloody #7 and the Olympic's ).
Old 24 Sep 2007, 15:32 (Ref:2021819)   #2
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
00 XR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very disappointing to see Sandown lose the 500.

I fear that a 500km race around PI will be a bit of a tyre economy run....... with everyone driving on egg shells trying to keep the right rear alive........

Also, I was really hoping that OP would get the final round. Oh well.

Last edited by 00 XR8; 24 Sep 2007 at 15:35.
“Jamie, Jamie, Jamie. What you have to do is you have to say look; the fact of the matter is that I’m red hot, that Todd Kelly is a ******, I have always thought he was, and I was just mowing him down based on ability”. – Neil Crompton talking to Jamie Whincup, post Bathurst 2005.
Old 24 Sep 2007, 15:32 (Ref:2021820)   #3
garbo6
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
garbo6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think there is a thread for the mods to merge it with but the could make a spelling correction to cAlender.

I like the sound of a Phillip Island 500, but I am disappointed that Eastern Creek is the season finale.

The Clipsal-Hamilton stretch is certainly going to be busy, but I think the teams will appreciate the 6 week break during the middle of the season.

Keeping the 14 rounds, so the AGP supports can be shown on Channel 10 is another positive for the series.
Old 24 Sep 2007, 20:35 (Ref:2022085)   #4
Fransiscus
Rookie

Fransiscus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good to see the crowd favourite Winton still gets a guernsey
Old 24 Sep 2007, 21:00 (Ref:2022098)   #5
Luke Plaizier
Rookie

Luke Plaizier should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
161 Laps - An Enduro Doth Make? (PI Takes over Sandown)

Word out is that Phillip Island is to replace Sandown as the Enduro Leadup to Bathurst in 2008.

I would LOVE to see Phillip Island retain the 161 Lap race distance.

With just over 4km per lap, Phillip Island could potentially become a 700km Enduro (~716km actually, at roughly 4.446km per lap, give or take a few rippple strips..).

With Roland Dane making the call for adding another potential 'Enduro' to the list in the recent V8X Magazine, what other options would there be?

The Eastern Creek '600' (~633) Maybe?

Or, to have an Enduro in each state, the Indy 700 (~720)?

At that lap count, the Clipsal seems just about right too.

Thoughts?

Lukeyson
Old 24 Sep 2007, 21:39 (Ref:2022135)   #6
spectator22
Racer

spectator22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sandown 500 moving to Phillip Island

Big news in eNews (link http://enews.mnews.com.au) this morning. The 500 isgoing from Sandown to PI: V8 calendar being announced today. Noone saw that coming! Looks like the end of Davisons reign at Sandown has had some other effects. Shame about Sandown although a long race at the Island could be pretty good.
Old 24 Sep 2007, 21:42 (Ref:2022138)   #7
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Uncle Cranker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier
Word out is that Phillip Island is to replace Sandown as the Enduro Leadup to Bathurst in 2008.

I would LOVE to see Phillip Island retain the 161 Lap race distance.

With just over 4km per lap, Phillip Island could potentially become a 700km Enduro (~716km actually, at roughly 4.446km per lap, give or take a few rippple strips..).

With Roland Dane making the call for adding another potential 'Enduro' to the list in the recent V8X Magazine, what other options would there be?

The Eastern Creek '600' (~633) Maybe?

Or, to have an Enduro in each state, the Indy 700 (~720)?

At that lap count, the Clipsal seems just about right too.

Thoughts?

Lukeyson

Yes Luke, word is out, it's even confirmed by the promoter.

And while we are fantasizing, let's go back to Longford, in Tassie, and run the Longford '1100' (~1165)....or maybe not.

Lukeyson, how 'bout you try and keep your fantasies where they belong, either in your head, or in the fantasy league threads.......
Old 24 Sep 2007, 21:57 (Ref:2022151)   #8
spectator22
Racer

spectator22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quick note to moderator - surely this thread should be called "Sandown 500 gone" or something more exciting like that other than boring "calendar", wheres your sense of headlines! No Sandown 500 is big news id have thought (big enough to get me on here this early!)
Old 24 Sep 2007, 22:04 (Ref:2022157)   #9
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Shame that it looks like Sandown is loosing the 500 considering the atmosphere of the grandstand and the lack of any atmosphere at PI.

You can almost gaurentee a smaller crowd.

Perhaps a Winton 500 at least they'd fill the place.

With the Upper Lurg 100 for the Aussie Racers
Old 24 Sep 2007, 22:53 (Ref:2022178)   #10
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA
Shame that it looks like Sandown is loosing the 500 considering the atmosphere of the grandstand and the lack of any atmosphere at PI.

You can almost gaurentee a smaller crowd.

Perhaps a Winton 500 at least they'd fill the place.

With the Upper Lurg 100 for the Aussie Racers

Geez PVDA, you stuff things up somtimes !

The Upper Lurg endurance race is actually a 250, for Carrera Cup cars, but is in doubt because VESA are concerned that they will run faster lap times that V8 Supercars. (don't laugh, why aren't Sports Sedans on the support card anymore.....)

The Aussie Racers will contest the Boho 100, and the Biante touring cars will race for the Greta West Cup.

BTW: The Tatong Trophy incorporating the DTE, (driver to Edithvale) road race has been suspended, because all the F4000/F Holden/Formula Schenken cars are either broken,have run out of spare parts, or to quote an owner recently "Are worth more than $200,000".

At 11.25 km a lap, there would be none left to take the National flag after the warm-up lap.....
Old 25 Sep 2007, 01:32 (Ref:2022228)   #11
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm quite peeved about Sandown losing the 500 enduro. Was VESA not happy with Jon Davison being stood down? I remember they did do a mini enduro at the Australia's motorsport Alcatraz and I didn't really like it. Brink back the Sandown 500.
Old 25 Sep 2007, 01:39 (Ref:2022230)   #12
Fransiscus
Rookie

Fransiscus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let us analyse why "they" are having an enduro at the Island.

1. VESA run/promote the events at Bathurst, Tasmania and Phillip Island

2. Sandown has a good crowd for the enduro. (J. Davison - promoter, keeps gate takings)

3. Phillips Island is renowned for its poor crowds, even with the "Grand Finale". (VESA - promoter, keeps gate takings)

So, what do we do to TRY to increase the crowds at the Island, we have tried the Grand Finale to increse the crowds, and that didn't work, so what do we do next to try to improve the crowds?

I know, let us pinch the enduro off Sandown and put it on the Island, we are sure to increase the crowds now!!!!

What a croc!!!!! This is just another effort by VESA to line their own pockets at the expense of someone else - *******s!
Old 25 Sep 2007, 01:46 (Ref:2022233)   #13
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
IMO if they want a 1 driver event at Sandown a Clipsal format would be great.
Old 25 Sep 2007, 02:34 (Ref:2022239)   #14
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There'll still be a Sandown 500

http://www.gtchampionship.com.au/circuit.php?id=18
Old 25 Sep 2007, 02:42 (Ref:2022241)   #15
db120176
Racer

Australia
Sydney CBD
db120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddb120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With Jon Davidson gone, I question whether the race club wants to keep a racing circuit as a going concern. Give it three years and I reckon it's an access road to the horse racing track....
Old 25 Sep 2007, 03:38 (Ref:2022248)   #16
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by db120176
With Jon Davidson gone, I question whether the race club wants to keep a racing circuit as a going concern. Give it three years and I reckon it's an access road to the horse racing track....
Interesting to note that the eNews story was the first the Sandown management knew about it. They've rung VESCA and are waiting for an official announcement.
If it's true it wont help the already low opinon of some in the MRC to the way our sport conducts its business. Also the local council will be spitting chips.
Just a reminder that at this stage nothing is confirmed. The proposed calender looks pretty specific though so I'd expect it's pretty reliable. But if MN has got it wrong then they've got it wrong big time.
I rang VESCA and it was an official no comment at this stage. I'm waiting on a return call (might be waiting some time) Maxine at reception said that she was unaware of any plans to release a calender today.
Old 25 Sep 2007, 04:24 (Ref:2022259)   #17
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
hopefully Maxine just wasn't informed or it is a standard line to keep people of the subject because if enews is wrong about the release date and posibly the calendar, then they might end up with similar embaresment to what they hadback when they reported TC getting booted.
Old 25 Sep 2007, 05:03 (Ref:2022267)   #18
birtek
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
birtek should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gee if enews is found to be wrong again ala TC getting booted - they will start getting a reputation as good as places like ten-tenths and all those other forums where people post random **** that they feel like posting
Old 25 Sep 2007, 05:21 (Ref:2022269)   #19
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by birtek
Gee if enews is found to be wrong again ala TC getting booted - they will start getting a reputation as good as places like ten-tenths and all those other forums where people post random **** that they feel like posting
If it's wrong then there's nothing random about it. Somebody has clearly given Grant this info, there's three posibilities.
1 It's Right
2 It's Wrong but somebody got their wires crossed or...
3 It's deliberate misinformation designed to make MN look bad or to place pressure on the promoters at Sandown and the Island

I'd be betting that it's substantially correct but...
Old 25 Sep 2007, 09:28 (Ref:2022406)   #20
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fransiscus
So, what do we do to TRY to increase the crowds at the Island, we have tried the Grand Finale to increse the crowds, and that didn't work, so what do we do next to try to improve the crowds?
Personally I don't think having the 500 at PI will increase the crowds at all, the final round would be a bigger draw especially with close championships like last year.

I have not been to the V8s at PI and am not likely too, getting to & from is just too much hassle with the crowds and one bridge to drive on. I would rather go & watch the historics or AMRS or a state round there (& do).
Old 25 Sep 2007, 10:41 (Ref:2022470)   #21
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875
Personally I don't think having the 500 at PI will increase the crowds at all, the final round would be a bigger draw especially with close championships like last year.

I have not been to the V8s at PI and am not likely too, getting to & from is just too much hassle with the crowds and one bridge to drive on. I would rather go & watch the historics or AMRS or a state round there (& do).
no it won't increase crowds but it will cut cost with them only having to put the grandstans up one a couple of weeks earlier for 2 events the PI 500 and Moto GP.
Old 25 Sep 2007, 10:44 (Ref:2022472)   #22
RS500
Veteran

Australia
Australia
RS500 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky
haha you bet me to it

at least they are real SUPERCARS
Old 25 Sep 2007, 12:54 (Ref:2022575)   #23
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875

You would actually be quite surprised. There is a reputable camp ground within several minutes walking distance of the circuit. The service of which is just wicked, and cuts out all the crap of the one road in theory.

The only issue of P.I is where the body is buried from the previous owner family's murder mystery. That in itself is an interesting saga!
Old 25 Sep 2007, 21:44 (Ref:2022992)   #24
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It!
The only issue of P.I is where the body is buried from the previous owner family's murder mystery. That in itself is an interesting saga!

I'm tipping just on the paddock return road side of Honda corner....

I've seen way too many serious (and sadly some fatal) incidents there......
Old 25 Sep 2007, 22:59 (Ref:2023048)   #25
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm tipping it was a slow news week in the MN newsroom. We would have seen by now a calendar if it was coming out yesterday. I'd say VESA are going to hold off this week and announce next week in-amongst the build up to the 1000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Cranker
I'm tipping just on the paddock return road side of Honda corner....
I've seen way too many serious (and sadly some fatal) incidents there......
I thought the bodies where in one of various dams that are around the place.....
I do agree, way too many incidents down there in the last 10 years. I think it was 2 deaths within 3 years. Please correct me if I'm wrong anyone.