Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 28 May 2000, 15:07 (Ref:2777)   #1
RIKB
Veteran

RIKB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now that the plans for next year have been unveiled, I wonder who will stay on in the BTCC?

We currently have some of the best tin top drivers in the world, driving in this series, but will any of them stay on for next year? Or will they all go off to such series as the DTM?
Old 29 May 2000, 16:03 (Ref:2778)   #2
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would guess it will take several years for manufacturers to get their production coupes going before racing them? Either not many are left or are in the midst of being replaced soon. As a result, the likelihood of them racing a "soon to be replaced car" is low.

The next likely candidate is one of Ford's divisions--hopefully Volvo?

So most drivers should stay where they are?
I am guessing most of the '00 cars will be sold to Privateers in '01 or will junior teams again be the rules, then privateers?
Or will DTM manufacturers start making more racecars available to outsiders?

Isn't Opel Motorsport willing to do that provided a "customer" has enough "funds"?

[This message has been edited by kmchow (edited 29 May 2000).]
Old 29 May 2000, 18:09 (Ref:2779)   #3
ganda123
Racer

ganda123 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a tricky one. Thompson's almost definately going I think, and Plato might, especially if he wins this year. Menu is such a bad loser that if he wins this year he'll go because he won't like to see himself lose it in 2001. Rydell has said before that he'd like to drive something with more power and rear wheel drive, so he might be off too, and almost definately if he wins the championship. With Rydell it depends on what Volvo are doing too, he'll stay if they are returning as they employ him at the moment to test/develop their cars for future motorsport activities. If they start a DTM team with the C70 as reports suggest, however, I'm pretty sure he'll drive for them.
The rest of the drivers I don't know about, but it looks as if they'll stay.
Old 29 May 2000, 21:46 (Ref:2780)   #4
fatbloke
Veteran

fatbloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To be honest, i'd like most of the current boys to feck off - with the exception of all three of the Vauxhall drivers - NONE of the rest do anything for me, i'm afraid. I'd like to see Cleland, Radisich and Hoy returning.
Old 3 Jun 2000, 15:26 (Ref:2781)   #5
RIKB
Veteran

RIKB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I reckon you'll get most of your wish fatbloke! I can quite see next years championship fought out between Radermecker and Neal
Old 3 Jun 2000, 20:19 (Ref:2782)   #6
fatbloke
Veteran

fatbloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's hope not, eh ? Poor Vincent would be punted out at every corner by that Neal oaf

I wonder how Mr Muller will get on in the DTM...